SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Potentially dumb question: why isn't nycsubway.org updated regularly?

The photos, for the most part, have been daily, except this past month or so. As for the news and events, I guess there is not a lot of things going on. Or maybe the people are too busy to update it.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25
Potentially dumb question: why isn't nycsubway.org updated regularly?

Probably because it's mostly a one-man operation and he's doing it in his free time. The photo section is really the only section that gets updated so frequently. There are portions of the site that haven't been updated since the '90s.

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 12/12/2011 4:09PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems on the express track opposite the 59th Street-Columbus Circle Station, downtown(2) and (3) trains are running on the local track between the 96th Street Station and the Times Square-42nd Street Station.

Selected (2)trains are running on the (5)line between the 149th Street-Grand Concourse Station and the Nevins Street Station.

Please allow for additional travel time.

Wow they are actually admitting that there is a train stuck on the express track with people in it.

Guest lance25

Um, when don't they? Unless it's the rare occasion when it's a work train or an OOS one, whenever there's a service change with a train with mechanical problems, you can pretty much assume it's in service and people are on it. It's almost a given.

Guest lance25

They've been giving the nearest station for a while now, regardless of which track (local or express) is affected. It's easier to communicate to the general public where the problem is if they're given an actual location, rather than a general vicinity. Which would you, as a general rider, prefer: "on the express tracks at 59 St-Columbus Circle" or "between Times Sq-42 St and 72 St"?

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 12/13/2011 11:21PM

Due to signal problems at the East 180th Street Station:

There is no (2)trains between the 3rd Avenue-149th Street Station to the Wakefield-241st Street Station in both directions.

Also, there is no (5) trains between the 3rd Avenue-149th Street Station to the Eastchester-Dyre Avenue Station in both directions.

Please expect delays on the (2) and (5) train service at this time.

*What's going on there tonight.Not a good night.

I noticed something interesting tonight.Coney Island Bound (N) trains are runnning on the (D)line.But also there are no (R) trains between 36th and 59th st.So what does someone do if they want to go to 45th and beyond on the (R).there is no way to get to 59th Coney Island Bound.Im assuming one of those G.os are not happening.But I could be wrong.Is there a shuttle bus to connect 36th to 59th?

I noticed something interesting tonight.Coney Island Bound (N) trains are runnning on the (D)line.But also there are no (R) trains between 36th and 59th st.So what does someone do if they want to go to 45th and beyond on the (R).there is no way to get to 59th Coney Island Bound.Im assuming one of those G.os are not happening.But I could be wrong.Is there a shuttle bus to connect 36th to 59th?

I assume one would have to take either the (D) or the (N) to 62nd and transfer to manhattan bound (N) at New Utrecht, which goes to 36th.

There was a late night G.O. about the (R) shuttle train. It ran from 95-59. All (R) trains from 59-86 Streets ran on the Manhattan bound track. My guess the headways were 30 minutes or 2 trains per hour. So since the (N) was rerouted via West End, one will have to take the (D) or (N) to 62 Street and take an uptown N to 59 Street and transfer to the (R) at the same platform.

There was a late night G.O. about the (R) shuttle train. It ran from 95-59. All (R) trains from 59-86 Streets ran on the Manhattan bound track. My guess the headways were 30 minutes or 2 trains per hour. So since the (N) was rerouted via West End, one will have to take the (D) or (N) to 62 Street and take an uptown N to 59 Street and transfer to the (R) at the same platform.

Planned Work

Coney Island-bound trains(D) run via the (N) from 36 St to Stillwell Av

Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Dec 12 - 16

Trains stop at 62 St-New Utrecht Av.

For 45, 53 and 59 Sts, take the (R) instead. Transfer between trains at 36 St.

For service to 8 Av, Fort Hamilton Pkwy, 18, 20 Avs, Bay Pkwy, Kings Hwy,

Avenue U and 86 St, take the(N) to 62 St-New Utrecht Av or Stillwell Av and

transfer to a Manhattan-bound(N) .

For service from these stations, take the (N) to New Utrecht Av-62 St or 36 St

and transfer to a Coney Island-bound (D) or(N) .

So instead of the above the MTA would have to write:For 45th 53rd or 59th take the (D) or (N) to 62nd st and transfer to a Manhattan Bound (N).And for (R) stations from 59th to 95th transfer between Astoria Bound(N) and Bay Ridge Bound® at 59th. They have to communicate better in a situation like this.I really think a shuttle bus is the best bet. I mean how can you transfer between (N) and (R) at 36th if the (R) is not stopping there?

Planned Work

Coney Island-bound trains(D) run via the (N) from 36 St to Stillwell Av

Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Dec 12 - 16

Trains stop at 62 St-New Utrecht Av.

For 45, 53 and 59 Sts, take the (R) instead. Transfer between trains at 36 St.

For service to 8 Av, Fort Hamilton Pkwy, 18, 20 Avs, Bay Pkwy, Kings Hwy,

Avenue U and 86 St, take the(N) to 62 St-New Utrecht Av or Stillwell Av and

transfer to a Manhattan-bound(N) .

For service from these stations, take the (N) to New Utrecht Av-62 St or 36 St

and transfer to a Coney Island-bound (D) or(N) .

So instead of the above the MTA would have to write:For 45th 53rd or 59th take the (D) or (N) to 62nd st and transfer to a Manhattan Bound (N).And for (R) stations from 59th to 95th transfer between Astoria Bound(N) and Bay Ridge Bound® at 59th. They have to communicate better in a situation like this.I really think a shuttle bus is the best bet. I mean how can you transfer between (N) and (R) at 36th if the (R) is not stopping there?

Yeah they really messed up there. That's my issue with the MTA. They fail to communicate correctly during G.O's. Especially with the past GO where 2 trains terminated at South Ferry. The (R) train could of helped transfer West Side passengers to the East Side from Whitehall/South Ferry to Court Street/Borough Hall especially since it's only one stop away. Commuters do not like the out of system transfer (unless you have an unlimited card).

There was a 12-9 at Beverly Road yesterday; some dude jumped right to his death. It's the holidays, isn't it? I just hope the T/O is all right.

Anyway, the train I was on was held at Church Av. The C/R continously said that we "were just being held by the dispatcher" even the Countdown Clock right near the middle of the train was stating that there was an investigation at Beverly Road and there was no service between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av. I don't know if the C/R knew that there was a 12-9 or not, but I don't see why he could at least tell people that there was an investigation and that there was no service to Flatbush Av like what the Countdown Clock was saying.

It's a good thing the Countdown Clock was loud enough to hear from inside the train, otherwise lots of people would have just stayed inside the train needlessly

So yeah, lots of people jumped ship to the B44. I guess I'm fortunate to have a bus line right above that follows the path of the train.

At Beverly Road, there were firetrucks and police cars everywhere, one fireman ready to go with the stretcher and everything.

Lots of firemen, policemen, and ordinary people Congregating at the Manhattan-bound entrance, but surprisingly the Flatbush-bound entrance was completely unguarded, so I suppose I could have stuck around and watched the firemen retrieve the corpse if I wanted to.

Sad this stuff has to happen...

• 2 weeks later...

So, when the Broadway Bridge on the (1) is raised, I'm assuming that the tracks are raised too. Therefore, the trains can't go through. Is this correct? But, assuming this is how it happens, how does it? I mean how can a part of the tracks be separated from the rest and be lifted, since they're jointed together? Also, doesn't this affect the signals as well?

So, when the Broadway Bridge on the (1) is raised, I'm assuming that the tracks are raised too. Therefore, the trains can't go through. Is this correct? But, assuming this is how it happens, how does it? I mean how can a part of the tracks be separated from the rest and be lifted, since they're jointed together? Also, doesn't this affect the signals as well?

The Bridge tracks and the structure tracks are not completely joined together. If you notice when you're going over the bridge, there's a 3rd rail gap right before you get onto the bridge itself, and there's another one right before you get off the bridge. The tracks aren't connected so that in the off-chance that the bridge has to be raised, the bridge (and the tracks on the bridge) just lift up in the air

The Bridge tracks and the structure tracks are not completely joined together. If you notice when you're going over the bridge, there's a 3rd rail gap right before you get onto the bridge itself, and there's another one right before you get off the bridge. The tracks aren't connected so that in the off-chance that the bridge has to be raised, the bridge (and the tracks on the bridge) just lift up in the air

I'll check it once I visit NYC later this year..