SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

They got AirTrain guys at Howard Beach literally holding up the trains when someone gets on the AirTrain right from the Rockaway bus without paying the $5 fare inside Howard Beach. They told this one guy that came off the bus and headed right for the AirTrain that the train "isn't gonna leave until PAPD gets here". When I got to the A platform, sure enough I saw a PA cop on the bridge going towards the AirTrain. Looks like the PA is taking this very seriously now with the shuttle buses.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I can't help but feel it's the PAs fault, that whole bus area is PA property and they don't have to let the MTA use it. They also have security guards sitting in vans by the parking lot entrance the buses use to block the entrance until a bus is entering or leaving, and the PA is paying for that too.

Just a random thought/proposal like the thread says, but I was wondering if it would be possible to run subway service on the Atlantic Avenue and Far Roackaway Branches and create a direct subway connection to the future 2nd Ave. Subway at Hanover Sq. via a new tunnel...

Well, the thing is: It's might be a heavy possibility that the Second Avenue Subway could connect better with the Fulton Street Line because of what use to be Court Street Station, now the Transit Museum. Atleast I think that makes sense..... But right now I won't be possible in this lifetime.

Although with the way the Atlantic branch seems kinda neglected, I wouldn't be surprised in the future it gets turned over to the subway as it goes thru some 'rough areas'. As for what should run on it, I dunno probably the sas if it ever gets that far. And I don't think there's a need to annex the far rockaway branch. I think they should connect the Atlantic branch to the unused rockaway row and then all A trains goes to lefferts.

So I was watching R68 videos and I started wondering... since the cars were built with a full cab on one end and a half cab on the other, did this arrangement change at all when they were linked into 4-car sets? Or does each car in the set have a full cab, even though it will never be used?

It's been recently proposed via Court St stub on the Fulton St line (As Metro was saying), but that again is for the distant future. Also as part of the IND Second System similar plans were made for two tunnels one from 8th ave, other from 6th ave, to be built running parallel into Brooklyn into what was known as the South 4th Street line in Brooklyn.  In Manhattan going n/b the trains were supposed to go uptown  via 6th ave then Second Ave past 57th street. Something like that, mind is foggy on this since the last time this was discussed by the veterans here.

Just a random thought/proposal like the thread says, but I was wondering if it would be possible to run subway service on the Atlantic Avenue and Far Roackaway Branches and create a direct subway connection to the future 2nd Ave. Subway at Hanover Sq. via a new tunnel...
Edited by realizm

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mtattrain" data-cid="640846" data-time="1359862644"><p>

Just a <strong class='bbc'>random thought/proposal </strong>like the thread says, but I was wondering if it would be possible to run subway service on the Atlantic Avenue and Far Roackaway Branches and create a direct subway connection to the future 2nd Ave. Subway at Hanover Sq. via a new tunnel...</p></blockquote>

They would have to go through a lot of shit to convert a LIRR/railroad line to subway service. Since NYCT equipment isn't FRA certified and the crews aren't certified locomotive engineers/railroad conductors, I believe they'd have to physically disconnect the lines from the LIRR, then do a ton of work with the signals, tracks, stations etc. And I honestly don't see LIRR abandoning either branch, Atlantic Terminal gets riders especially when the Barclays arena has events, and while the FR branch doesn't get much ridership out of FR itself, plenty of people in the 5 Towns use it (Cedarhurst, Woodmere, etc.).

But how often does the Atlantic branch stop at Nostrand or ENY? Thats why I think the LiRR may as well just hand the segment before it joins the mainline at Jamaica to the subway to convert it for regular subway service. Fulton ind doesn't really need the extra service unless its for the Utica av extension to KP.

Edited by Grand Concourse

But how often does the Atlantic branch stop at Nostrand or ENY? Thats why I think the LiRR may as well just hand the segment before it joins the mainline at Jamaica to the subway to convert it for regular subway service. Fulton ind doesn't really need the extra service unless its for the Utica av extension to KP.

I wonder if this helps a little? :huh:

They would have to go through a lot of shit to convert a LIRR/railroad line to subway service. Since NYCT equipment isn't FRA certified and the crews aren't certified locomotive engineers/railroad conductors' date=' I believe they'd have to physically disconnect the lines from the LIRR, then do a ton of work with the signals, tracks, stations etc. [/quote']

Well they did it for the SIR with the retrofitted electrical components for the R44s that service the railway. I would imagine those crews consequently are also certified engineers and conductors, I'm assuming. I could be wrong.

Why not? They don't replace them every time there's a new change for individual stations, that's pretty much why they use the same strip map all the time. If it had to be assigned to another line, I'm sure they'd just remove the strip map and place it someplace else. There's likely going to be a bunch of leftover 6 strip maps once the cars are converted to run on the 7 line.

Bet you a buck they throw them in the trash.

A couple of observations today:

As I posted here, the Unionport sets have gotten the new AAS program update. Also, for some reason, the "Watch the Gap" announcements plays automatically at Freeman St, at least on the Bronx-bound 5 train.

TO CROWN HTS-UTICA AV

TO CHAMBERS ST

TO BOWLING GREEN

TO GRAND CENTRAL

TO 34 ST-PENN STA

TO NEW LOTS AV

TO HARLEM-148 ST

TO WAKEFIELD-241 ST

TO ATLANTIC-BARCLAYS

TO PARKCHESTER

TO PELHAM BAY PARK

TO WOODLAWN