SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Last year there were rumors that the 42 St Shuttle singles would be linked into 3-car sets, and that an R62 (not R62A) would be sent to the (6)... did anything become of this?

as of now the 42st (S) has some link cars saw it yesterday.

Edited by R33WF

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you know they are linked? I still can't see why they'd do this given theres not many singles left and track 3 requires a 4 car train. If you mean like two consecutive cars like 1931-2 are linked, then I am fine with that. I still think the idea should be for the ts s to eventually run 2 5- car trains with ts renovated to handle a 5-car train and then no more single cars or 3 and 4 car trains.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I'd hate to revive this but, years later they've still not fixed the damn problems with FIND displays on the R160s...and the interior ceiling LED displays...and occasional window LED display being stuck or being completely off. I've noticed that Coney Island yard R160s don't have this problem, while the F (and E) still frequently has borked FINDs and interior/window LED signs all over a train set. What is the problem and why have they still not fixed this at Jamaica yard R160s?

I'd hate to revive this but, years later they've still not fixed the damn problems with FIND displays on the R160s...and the interior ceiling LED displays...and occasional window LED display being stuck or being completely off. I've noticed that Coney Island yard R160s don't have this problem, while the F (and E) still frequently has borked FINDs and interior/window LED signs all over a train set. What is the problem and why have they still not fixed this at Jamaica yard R160s?

They haven't updated any announcements (blecker st, atlantic av, etc.) on any R160 yet, thus they have't updated the software that controls the LEDs and FIND systems. Unless it's a complete mechanical failure, they can fix the glitches with software updates. 

They haven't updated any announcements (blecker st, atlantic av, etc.) on any R160 yet, thus they have't updated the software that controls the LEDs and FIND systems. Unless it's a complete mechanical failure, they can fix the glitches with software updates. 

So it's a mechanical/maintenance issue then? These issues have been on Jamaica R160s since the beginning and persist to this day. Coney Island R160s have been perfect every time I ride one.

So, while perusing the MTA's site for info on how they're preparing for the storm, I came across this.

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=959

Apparently, they've made the online map "interactive". Of course, they removed the ability to click on individual stations in favor of zoom and drag abilities, features that were already available on the pdf map. And I love how they're toting how useful this will be on smartphones. Again, pdf files already work on smartphones, so it's not necessary. Look, I get they want to change it up and I'm glad they got rid of that other map because it was butt-ugly and way too crammed together. However, if the goal of this update is interactivity, they should incorporate any service changes, as well as "Subway Time" and "The Weekender" just to name a few, so you don't have users bouncing around the website.

EDIT 19:59: Another thing, why is it so damn difficult for them to incorporate the neighborhood maps into anything besides the Weekender?

Edited by Lance

B/c of the impending blizzard headed our way, are G.O.'s cancelled for this weekend, and if so, even the  (7)<7> G.O.?

I'm asking b/c the Q66 detour the TA often puts in to accommodate the  (7) weekend work has been cancelled, which leads me to believe that there is a chance that the  (7) G.O. is cancelled....

B/c of the impending blizzard headed our way, are G.O.'s cancelled for this weekend, and if so, even the  (7)<7> G.O.?

I'm asking b/c the Q66 detour the TA often puts in to accommodate the  (7) weekend work has been cancelled, which leads me to believe that there is a chance that the  (7) G.O. is cancelled....

The (7) GO has two parts: track replacement at Court Square and Steinway Tube work .Obviously no track replacement is going on in a blizzard, so that part is canceled. The tunnel part will probably still go on.

So far the only GO that I see pulled from the MTA site is the (J).

Edited by Amtrak7

I saw an UPTOWN (F) with the "CULVER EXPRESS" on the (F). Went like this:

(F) JAMAICA-179 ST

(F) CULVER EXPRESS

(F) QUEENS BLVD EXP

This was during the GO that involved uptown (F) trains run express from Church to Jay on a weekend.

So they did update them to have a Church-Jay express routing. Good. *Every time* I took an (F) one of those two weekends, I got an R46, so I didn't notice the R160 programming.

Probably a good thing since most conductors on the (F) don't bother selecting the proper program on GO's anyways. I remember the days of the 3-month periods where they went express and some conductors would just turn off FIND or select the local route and have the train announce 15 St-Prospect Park while the train was half a mile to the east and 20 feet lower. As this is a random thought thread I'll mention this: a while back when (F) and (G) were running express *southbound* b/w Carroll and Church for a 3-month period I was on a Manhattan-bound (F). The conductor set the program to the construction Church-Carroll *northbound* express and didn't bother to change it or announce the stations that were now assumed to be skipped by the train's route program. She then made it worse by playing a 6-month old pre-recorded message about G trains stopping at Smith-9St (which they no longer were). Incompetence at its best.

Edited by Culver

According to the SubwayTime app the (5) shuttle is actually running to 149 St-Grand Concourse. First time in a long time that they call a plan 4/plan 5 and the (5) shuttle actually runs past E180 IINM...

If the app is right, IRT service is running with bunches and long gaps, no bueno for lines that are supposed to run on 20min headways.

From what I've learn from a member of this forum named Flushing Express months ago back on YouTube, the entire reason why the R40s and R42s are incapable of running as 8-car trains on the (C) is because the conductor controls only exists on the 5th and 6th cars, leaving a 120 foot gap in the rear as those trains stopped all the way at the front of each station to line up with the conductor board. I notice this myself when I first board the 6th car on the R42 on the (J) months back. That's one of the many reasons why the R32s are still running due to the failed planned assignment of the R40s and R42s for the (C) and the NYCS R44s' frame issues.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Yeah, that was the (V) 's regular route,from Forest Hills to 2nd Avenue. And I've taken an (E) from 2nd Avenue before.

Wow wait a second, did they actually wanted to send the (V) to 2nd Ave before the cuts? Or do I misinterpret it and the (E) only takes part of (V) line in the annoucement?