SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

While doing research for a project of mine, something occured to me - why was the IRT built to narrower dimensions than the BMT/IND? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

If memory serves me right It was done to avoid acquisition by PRR

*edit

Although this factor could be at play, the main reason IRT was build that way is that it was standard of the time. In later iterations design was improved which was used in construction of BRT/BMT/IND lines

Edited by overclocked

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If memory serves me right It was done to avoid acquisition by PRR

*edit

Although this factor could be at play, the main reason IRT was build that way is that it was standard of the time. In later iterations design was improved which was used in construction of BRT/BMT/IND lines

Thanks!

While we're on the topic of A vs B division, what is the crush load capacity of the average train on either division?

Thanks!

While we're on the topic of A vs B division, what is the crush load capacity of the average train on either division?

IND 60' 250 customers, seating 50

IRT 51' 200 customers, seating 44

75' are 70 seating, excluding 46 B car which seats 76, there are no documented numbers on max capacity. Because of seating arrangements, 46s and 68s have smaller max capacity if lets say they were equipped with longitudinal seating.

Thanks!

Hard to say how many riders uses each lines, but as for capacity:

A division (sans 7) = (51' x 8.5') x10 = 4335' sq.

7 line = (51' x 8.5') x 11 = 4768.5' sq.

B division (sans J/M/L/Z) = (60' x 10') x 10 = 6000' sq and (75' x 10') x 8 = 6000' sq.

J/L/M = (60' x 10') x 8 = 4800' sq.

So you could basically fit about the same amount of riders on an 11 car 7 train as you can on an 8 car L train.

Edited by Grand Concourse

IND 60' 250 customers, seating 50

IRT 51' 200 customers, seating 44

75' are 70 seating, excluding 46 B car which seats 76, there are no documented numbers on max capacity. Because of seating arrangements, 46s and 68s have smaller max capacity if lets say they were equipped with longitudinal seating.

Hard to say how many riders uses each lines, but as for capacity:

A division (sans 7) = (51' x 8.5') x10 = 4335' sq.

7 line = (51' x 8.5') x 11 = 4768.5' sq.

B division (sans J/M/L/Z) = (60' x 10') x 10 = 6000' sq and (75' x 10') x 8 = 6000' sq.

J/L/M = (60' x 10') x 8 = 4800' sq.

So you could basically fit about the same amount of riders on an 11 car 7 train as you can on an 8 car L train.

Thanks!

Just saw a movie called 'Safe' and I just love how the scenes interchange from an R62A to an R68. The scene starts off at 'Dekalb' which looks like the (1) Canal station. The R62A had rollsigns for a 6th av line (I think the (F) ) and the only time you see the R68 is when the character is climbing on the roof of the car going over the Manhattan bridge. Fight scenes took place mainly in the R62a and finally the scene ends at Canal and the street shows East Broadway on the (F).

Also you can tell the number of the R62A kept changing from 2xxx to 19xx.

Ah, Hollywood...

Edited by Grand Concourse

Since I've been riding the (C) to school, I always see some passengers that board my train at Van Siclen/Shepherd go from the S/B platform to the N/B platform at Euclid Avenue just to get on a Manhattan (A) Express......My question is if they're going to Manhattan, why didn't they just took the Manhattan (C) straight until they see an (A) at either Broadway Junction or Utica Avenue....? Laugh out loud.... :lol:

.My question is if they're going to Manhattan, why didn't they just took the Manhattan (C) straight until they see an (A) at either Broadway Junction or Utica Avenue....? Laugh out loud.... :lol:

Perhaps because Pitkin Ave is a ghetto area and they don't want to cross the street?

I love what Snowblock said. SHE HEARS HIM SAY THE (C) WILL GET THERE FIRST... but people have this mentality that express = faster. While it SHOULD, it really doesn't...

If you're referring to what happened at W4 last night, my (C) only makes ONE additional stop from there to 42 St.....on my first trip on Tuesdays, I usually get the starting lights at 168 when the next (A) is at 175. We usually make a connection at 145, and then I usually BEAT that (A) to 125, and it will overtake me again around 96 St. So word to the wise - if you're coming from Inwood and need the (C) for CPW, transfer at 145 - don't wait until 125!

Well until they renovate the TS end of the shuttle to hold 5 car trains, you will still need single sets. But if they ever do make the s accommodate 5 car trains, I guess they could relegate the 4 singles as spares or for garbage/work car duties since the r127/134s don't have ac and they used to use r32s to tow the train.

@Snowblock

Err, Van Siclen and Shepherd Avenues have crossovers so riders are free to transfer between Euclid Avenue and Manhattan (C) trains. I meant that riders could have walk to the other platform for Manhattan instead of going to Euclid for the Manhattan (A) Express.... <_<

Edited by RollOverMyHead

@Snowblock

Err, Van Siclen and Shepherd Avenues have crossovers so riders are free to transfer between Euclid Avenue and Manhattan (C) trains. I meant that riders could have walk to the other platform for Manhattan instead of going to Euclid for the Manhattan (A) Express.... <_<

He was making a joke...

Because the (D) uses the West End and the (N) uses the Sea Beach. It saves a line of text to combine their branches with express or local. In this case exp/lcl refers to what they do on 4th Ave. I guess it isn't that obvious to everyone.....

Pro tip: if a N/B train is running on the local track north of 36 St, it will ALWAYS stop at Dekalb, even if it's running express on the local.

Because the (D) uses the West End and the (N) uses the Sea Beach. It saves a line of text to combine their branches with express or local. In this case exp/lcl refers to what they do on 4th Ave. I guess it isn't that obvious to everyone.....

Pro tip: if a N/B train is running on the local track north of 36 St, it will ALWAYS stop at Dekalb, even if it's running express on the local.

Addendum: If a train runs through the bypass going south, it will be express on 4Av at least to 36st (except some baseball specials).