SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

And just to think that they are pretty soon going to redo the platform edge Strip at Ditmas... this would be a perfect time to do it, why not do it now? 

nope, instead the ol' MTA logic kicks in, trains will most likely switch after Av X, switch back after 18, then switch again after Ditmas.

At least trains might be flying into 18 Av...

I guess they really need to make sure to stop at Ditmas...even though it has express stops before and after it. Switching tracks for one stop.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The #1 thing that has been driving me crazy lately is these customers who jump from car to car via the platform every single time we make a station stop. The panhandlers are one thing (and yeah they annoy me too), but these look like regular commuters. Once they start holding up the train, I not only don't care if I leave them behind on the platform, I TRY to close the doors as they're between cars. What are they doing - trying to find a seat? Trying to find the magic car on the train that will get them home faster? Once in a while I even get a group of people doing it, and they all follow in a single-file line....occasionally even dragging their children along. Well I'm not gonna keep dwelling at the station while you move from car to car. If there's something wrong with the car you were in, let me know, otherwise sit down and stay put!

So there are some people around here preaching their little hearts out that the R42s could easily be replaced by the SMSed R32s at any time (I have to doubt the truth to this, as that would be too logical) but in case they are correct, does anyone know if there are any R42s or R40 Mods lying around the system as non-revenue stock that one could photograph?

From what I know, there are R40s as school cars at the Grand Concourse depot in the Bronx too. But I don't know if its the Modified or Slant ones.

They are Slants and there are 2 sets there

Edited by R33WF

I heard that either the mis-matched set or 4450/51 were flooded up to the windows during Sandy. Not sure how true that is, but hopefully, if it's the former, then the MTA fixes them up for the collection.

Either way, does anyone know where this photo was taken from? http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?109584

If the cars are still there, it might be a decent shot in the dark.

My evidence for 4450 - http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?133404

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Ave X, then? Alright, I'll have to go check it out in October, assuming the R42s do get retired before then... thankfully it isn't as long a journey as it is from 34th/Penn to Rockaway Park. I just hope that my journey won't be in vain :wacko: Thanks!

Actually, if anyone has been through the area recently, are the cars still there?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Like I said, I hope that my doubt of the SMSed cars replacing the 42s isn't in vain.

But if I can find a way to squeeze a trip to CI among my other subway sightseeing journeys (I'll be all over the place), I'll gladly do it. I'll probably opt for the (B) and transfer to the (Q) at Brighton Beach, if a (B) station is nearby, just so that I can ride the R68As.

what is a C/R and a T/O pick package like? 

The pick offices have big boards with a list of all of the jobs. If a name is filled in, the job has been picked, and if it's blank and you are the next one to pick, it's yours if you want it. You can only pick jobs within the same district and same tour, but can pick multiple lines within that district different days of the week. The majority of jobs are straight jobs, where you can have the same job M-F, but there are also RDO Relief jobs, where if somebody has D-301 straight but picked Thursday&Friday off, and somebody else picked D-302 with Sunday&Monday off, a third person can pick D-302 on Monday, T/W off, and D-301 on Thursday&Friday. Saturday & Sunday jobs are less complicated since only one person can pick them, so if the name is blank next to the job, it's available. There's another list with the day off slots and so many people can pick each combination of days (Sunday/Saturday, Monday/Tuesday etc) for that district and tour, once again if there's an open slot, you can have those days off. S/S obviously fill up first, followed by F/S and then S/M, so most people with less than 10 years of seniority will be forced to pick weekend jobs and then have their two days off during the middle of the week. There are also jobs like extra list, vacation relief, work trains, etc where your daily job changes day to day and your days off and tour can change every week.

Edited by Snowblock

To get from Bergen Street to Myrtle- Willoughby Avenues on a day without any G.Os or reroutes, you take the G train SIX stops.

To get from Bergen Street to Myrtle- Willoughby Avenues with this G.O on the F (without riding to Manhattan or taking the F to Coney Island), you have to take FIVE different trains.

Ave X, then? Alright, I'll have to go check it out in October, assuming the R42s do get retired before then... thankfully it isn't as long a journey as it is from 34th/Penn to Rockaway Park. I just hope that my journey won't be in vain :wacko: Thanks!

Actually, if anyone has been through the area recently, are the cars still there?

I was there today on all 4 Coney Island lines. The (N) has the best view in my opinion, especially Manhattan-bound.

I did not get off at Avenue X, so I did not see an R40M/R42 pair. But what I did see on the (N) were the R44s.