SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

From what I've learn from a member of this forum named Flushing Express months ago back on YouTube, the entire reason why the R40s and R42s are incapable of running as 8-car trains on the (C) is because the conductor controls only exists on the 5th and 6th cars, leaving a 120 foot gap in the rear as those trains stopped all the way at the front of each station to line up with the conductor board. I notice this myself when I first board the 6th car on the R42 on the (J) months back. That's one of the many reasons why the R32s are still running due to the failed planned assignment of the R40s and R42s for the (C) and the NYCS R44s' frame issues.

Learn something from him? ROFL.

It's not like what he said is insider information. Such is accessible through various sources on the internet, including "They Moved the Millions" on NYCSubway. And for the record, there are conductor controls in the B cab of every car, otherwise they would be massively unflexible.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well those N/B (5) trains need to come from SOMEWHERE.....

Shouldn't those trains have been underground instead of the yard due to a snowstorm? One would think the underground trains would go in service N/B at 149 St (consistent service pattern) until the Bowling Green (5) trains got to the Bronx.

Edited by GreatOne2k

So I'm hearing people bellyaching about the fact that the SMSed Westinghouse sets no longer howl... is this what they are referring to?

(0:22 - 0:31)

I know your post is directed at me...but I wasn't "bellyaching" though...I'm just expressing some of my taste. To answer the question, yes that's actually how the motor system on the R32s used to sound before they upgraded it. Same also applies to the R62As. Here's the video linked below:

And also another video of the R32s:

I still understand yours and everyone else's criticisms though...as this is to increase reliability of every trains and not please everything to addicted and devoted rail buffs like myself of course... 

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I understand that some people like the propulsion of certain cars, and there's nothing wrong with that. What I was calling you out for was declaring the motors to be crappy just because they no longer howl. The howl does have a unique characteristic to it, I'll give you that, but I think we can live without if it makes the R32s more reliable.

It's not the first time that a car's propulsion has been neutered. See 0:40 in this video for the original whine of the R62s.

Personally I like the buzzing which starts at 0:25 in the video I posted above. The R62As ever have anything like that?

I was told by a worker at Broad Street i'm not allowed to take pictures, but I took it, anyway.

I hit up all the stations in the system in a two-week span. Only ones I didn't visit were the ones I couldn't: the Rockaways that were closed, Braod Channel, Smith-9 Streets, Knickerbocker Avenue before it reopened. 

Saw a (1) at Dyckman with car numbers in the 1430s. Weren't those old (3) cars and why are they on the (1) line now.

There are some R62A's (those that regularly run on the (1)<6>(7) and <7>) that are being SMSed, so the 1 train borrowed R62 sets from the 3.

Edited by alejr88

When the R42s were on the old brown (M), those trains stop all the way at the front at all stations between Court Street and Bay Parkway, right? I never rode that line as I didn't rode the subway by myself around that time.

from what i remembered i think so or no i think once i remember it stopping at like the 8 car marker at those stations 

while im here  after broad street on the (J) the tracks to the montague street tunnel do they even maintain them if there is a need to use them?

from what i remembered i think so or no i think once i remember it stopping at like the 8 car marker at those stations

while im here after broad street on the (J) the tracks to the montague street tunnel do they even maintain them if there is a need to use them?

Yeah they stopped at the 8 mark or at the S mark while it used to go via 4th ave local and west end.

I don't know about that, I think they do it on the weekends since the (J) terminates at Chambers Street. But then again I might be wrong.

Edited by alejr88

while im here  after broad street on the (J) the tracks to the montague street tunnel do they even maintain them if there is a need to use them?

Well like all tracks, I'm sure they'd maintain them enough to make sure they work if they need it. Basically it's Eastern division's direct link to CIY (vs the indirect Chrystie st connector) for non revenue moves.

Planned Service Changes for: Saturday, February 16, 2013

F.pngG.png Smith-9 Sts Station is closed for rehabilitation

F.png Jamaica-bound trains run express from Avenue X to 18 Av

F.png Coney Island-bound trains run via the M.png from Roosevelt Av to 47-50 Sts

F.png Jamaica-bound trains run express from Church Av to Jay St-MetroTech

Might as well skip Ditmas. Changing two switch positions (even if they will be in that position all weekend) to stop at Ditmas as is.

There's gonna be a lot of F.I.N.D. and announcement fail on the R160s on the (F) this weekend, to say the least.

Edited by Culver

And just to think that they are pretty soon going to redo the platform edge Strip at Ditmas... this would be a perfect time to do it, why not do it now? 

nope, instead the ol' MTA logic kicks in, trains will most likely switch after Av X, switch back after 18, then switch again after Ditmas.

At least trains might be flying into 18 Av...