• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

In the house early (3:30 a.m :eek: lol) so here's my Brooklyn plan...

...Mind you this is mostly bs (assuming everything is merged already) and there may some things you may not agree with but then again, I don't care lol...

East New York

B12, B15, B17, B25, B45, B60, B65,

Fresh Pond

B13, B20, B26, B38, B52, B54

Jackie Gleason

B8, B11, B16, B35, B61, B63, B67, B68, B69, B70,

Ulmer Park

B1, B3, B4, B6, B36, B64, B68, B74, X27, X28, X37, X38, BM3

Grand Avenue

B24, B38, B43, B44, B48, B57, B62,

Spring Creek

B14, B42, B82, B83, B103, BM1, BM2, BM4, BM5

Flatbush

B2, B7, B9, B31, B41, B46, B47, B49, B100

Space doesn't really allow for it, but I've always thought that the B6 and B35 (and maybe the B8), should have some runs out of East New York depot. I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say that the Eastern ends of these routes are busier than the Western ends... but the Western ends get more service (in the form of Limited service) earlier in the morning, and later at night, because the depots are closer to their depots. It's just one of those things about life we have to put up with, I guess.

I love how Jackie Gleason depot has half the bus routes in Brooklyn right now :P

(Note: I am not familiar with the space limits of each depot and the number of runs needed for each route, so the following isn't really realistic)

The Q8 should have some runs out of Spring Creek too.

Crazy thought, but...

I think the Q9 should have some Baisley Park runs. And some Q111 runs out of JFK. I know, different unions and blah blah blah, but moving some runs could really provide some positive results in terms of deadhead mileage.

For the Q9, the deadhead from Baisley Park to its terminal in South Jamaica is shorter than from JFK, and takes around the same time (taking into account faster speed on the highway) Baisley Park is also closer to the Jamaica terminal, for PM Rush Hour.

For the Q111, JFK depot is farther from Jamaica but closer to Rosedale. Right now, there are short-turns to Guy R Brewer Blvd and Farmers Blvd and they would have a quick deadhead to JFK Depot.

This isn't as important, but I've thought too the Q113 should have some runs out of Far Rockaway, because the deadhead from that depot to the terminal at Beach 20th Street is shorter than all the way from BP. Plus the fact that the Q53 has already called dibs on Far Rockaway depot, lol

So to summarize the ideas thus far, if space allows....

Q9: Split between Baisley Park and JFK

Q111: Split between Baisley Park and JFK

Q113: Split between Baisley Park and Far Rockaway

The Q8 and Q53 ideas, have been floating around forever.

(Not split evenly)

This post brought to you by the ancient art of Google Maps-Fu ;)

Edited by Mysterious2train

Never realized how loud them engine fans were on the old C40s. I was on 878 and the fans was stuck on the entire trip...gave me a major headache

...driver was kinda cute tho :P lol

The coolant temperature sensor was probably not plugged in. When that sensor is not plugged in or is not working, the fans automatically get switched on to high so the engine doesn't overheat.

I've grown to like even the first hundred buses of the NG CNG order, but the one thing I've never figured out is why the engine idles so rough that the entire bus vibrates, then I hear the air brake release and it calms down. This always happens after coming to a stop, and even when the bus is turned on.

Space doesn't really allow for it, but I've always thought that the B6 and B35 (and maybe the B8), should have some runs out of East New York depot. I don't think it's all that unreasonable to say that the Eastern ends of these routes are busier than the Western ends... but the Western ends get more service (in the form of Limited service) earlier in the morning, and later at night, because the depots are closer to their depots. It's just one of those things about life we have to put up with, I guess.

I love how Jackie Gleason depot has half the bus routes in Brooklyn right now :P

(Note: I am not familiar with the space limits of each depot and the number of runs needed for each route, so the following isn't really realistic)

Crazy thought, but...

I think the Q9 should have some Baisley Park runs. And some Q111 runs out of JFK. I know, different unions and blah blah blah, but moving some runs could really provide some positive results in terms of deadhead mileage.

For the Q9, the deadhead from Baisley Park to its terminal in South Jamaica is shorter than from JFK, and takes around the same time (taking into account faster speed on the highway) Baisley Park is also closer to the Jamaica terminal, for PM Rush Hour.

For the Q111, JFK depot is farther from Jamaica but closer to Rosedale. Right now, there are short-turns to Guy R Brewer Blvd and Farmers Blvd and they would have a quick deadhead to JFK Depot.

This isn't as important, but I've thought too the Q113 should have some runs out of Far Rockaway, because the deadhead from that depot to the terminal at Beach 20th Street is shorter than all the way from BP. Plus the fact that the Q53 has already called dibs on Far Rockaway depot, lol

(Not split evenly)

I have always thought this. How about the (B57) have some rush hour runs from Jackie Gleason. The (B82) comes from Ulmer Park

Well as long as we're talking about splitting bus routes here...

1. (Q30): Split with QV for school runs.

2. (Q17): Split with CS for Jamica bound runs (AM Rush Hours only).

3. (Q27): Split with CS for Flushing bound runs (Rush Hours only)

Most of these are to assist in deadheads & easing congestion for depot buses.

B35s are on a detour right now cuz someone got killed on or near Church & E 52 St. Had a good ride going down the residental streets with a C40 lol

I love how Jackie Gleason depot has half the bus routes in Brooklyn right now :)

Crazy thought, but...

(Not split evenly)

Notice how I said mine was mostly bs...I got a brooklyn map on my wall with red thumbtacks where the depots are so I went off that. I don't know the space limitations at each depot :)

B35s are on a detour right now cuz someone got killed on or near Church & E 52 St. Had a good ride going down the residental streets with a C40 lol

Notice how I said mine was mostly bs...I got a brooklyn map on my wall with red thumbtacks where the depots are so I went off that. I don't know the space limitations at each depot :)

Take the # of buses the depot currently has and add about 30. For most depots, that will give you its operational capacity. Some depots you can add a lot more (Yukon for example), and some you can't add as many (example FR). It really depends on the depot and the type of bus you add.

Take the # of buses the depot currently has and add about 30. For most depots, that will give you its operational capacity. Some depots you can add a lot more (Yukon for example), and some you can't add as many (example FR). It really depends on the depot and the type of bus you add.

I thought Yukon was still over capacity. I think it had capacity for like 200 buses and it was holding 380 buses (and then Charleston opened up, but I think Yukon's still a little overcrowded)

I thought Yukon was still over capacity. I think it had capacity for like 200 buses and it was holding 380 buses (and then Charleston opened up, but I think Yukon's still a little overcrowded)

I believe Yukon should be okay now. Remember Meredith was opened to take pressure off of Castleton & Yukon as well. My understanding is that with Charleston open, Charleston basically has taken on all of the overcrowding that occurred at Yukon, hence why another depot is needed and also another reason why you shouldn't expect to see tons of service improvements on Staten Island. Of course the (MTA)'s budget isn't helping, but the depot situation isn't either. Still wondering what will happen once Castleton is closed for rehabilitation. :eek:

I'm going to ask a B/O friend of mine either tomorrow or Wednesday about that. I would like to see the S62 and S46 out of Meredith though. Maybe the MTA should expand that property instead of building a new depot in the meantime. It'd be cheaper by far and in this way the MTA won't have to cram Castleton's routes at Yukon and Charleston, but at Meredith too (basically all the north shore routes at Castleton, and the S51-S54 can go there).

I'm going to ask a B/O friend of mine either tomorrow or Wednesday about that. I would like to see the S62 and S46 out of Meredith though. Maybe the MTA should expand that property instead of building a new depot in the meantime. It'd be cheaper by far and in this way the MTA won't have to cram Castleton's routes at Yukon and Charleston, but at Meredith too (basically all the north shore routes at Castleton, and the S51-S54 can go there).

The S46 and S62 seem like no brainers, but my understanding is that Meredith is only open part time since it only runs express bus routes that run during the week for rush hour service. It's basically just a parking garage... Any main work that buses need appear to still happen at Yukon or Castleton. The thought process in getting another depot built is to get the land now (they supposedly have a site that they could get already) while it's still cheap. I would think they would want another Charleston... Something that can store a decent amount of buses and has the capabilities to handle fixing a lot of buses. Too bad the crews at Charleston can't repair a bus to save their lives. lol

I believe Yukon should be okay now. Remember Meredith was opened to take pressure off of Castleton & Yukon as well. My understanding is that with Charleston open, Charleston basically has taken on all of the overcrowding that occurred at Yukon, hence why another depot is needed and also another reason why you shouldn't expect to see tons of service improvements on Staten Island. Of course the (MTA)'s budget isn't helping, but the depot situation isn't either. Still wondering what will happen once Castleton is closed for rehabilitation. :eek:

Here's a list of all of the depots in NYC, and how many buses are assigned to them: MTA Regional Bus Operations Depot Roster - TTMG's Transitwiki

Here is the capacity of the depots: Bus depots of the New York City Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Castleton has 220 buses, but can store 370, Charleston has 225, but can store 220 buses, Yukon has 253 buses, but can store 400, and Meredith stores 74 buses.

So you're right that Yukon is under capacity. Of course, if it has to take on Castleton's routes, then it'll be over capacity.

Definitely.

The S46 and S62 seem like no brainers, but my understanding is that Meredith is only open part time since it only runs express bus routes that run during the week for rush hour service. It's basically just a parking garage... Any main work that buses need appear to still happen at Yukon or Castleton. The thought process in getting another depot built is to get the land now (they supposedly have a site that they could get already) while it's still cheap. I would think they would want another Charleston... Something that can store a decent amount of buses and has the capabilities to handle fixing a lot of buses. Too bad the crews at Charleston can't repair a bus to save their lives. lol

But say Meredith didn't exist, it's site would still be the perfect place for a depot. It's out in the middle of nowhere (so you're not going to clog up streets with buses and have residents deal with all of the pollution and everything), and the land is zoned for industrial uses anyway. That land is contaminated, so they're never going to build residential units over there, and all of the Teleport stuff is on the other side of the WSE. It's better to take that, rather than a piece of land that could actually be turned into something. Besides, because it's all industrial, it's probably the cheapest land they're realistically going to get.

I think there's a page that has the number of buses stored at each depot. It's like TTMG Wiki-something. I'll check it out.

My hunch is still that Yukon is still overcrowded, though less so than it used to be. Castleton was even more overcrowded than Yukon (I believe it had something like 350 buses, but only capacity for 135), so they sent some of Yukon's routes to Charleston, and then some of Castleton's routes to Yukon.

Yeah well that's why they have some buses at ETC to help with any overflow. Folks were complaining about buses idling on residential streets so they've tried to address that.

I think some X1 and X17 runs are based out of there, though.

Some X17s were for a while, but I believe all or the majority of the X17s are now out of Charleston. When Charleston opened up things were a bit messy, but I think they've got things sorted out now.

But in any case, say Meredith didn't exist, it's site would still be the perfect place for a depot. It's out in the middle of nowhere (so you're not going to clog up streets with buses and have residents deal with all of the pollution and everything), and the land is zoned for industrial uses anyway. That land is contaminated, so they're never going to build residential units over there, and all of the Teleport stuff is on the other side of the WSE. It's better to take that, rather than a piece of land that could actually be turned into something. Besides, because it's all industrial, it's probably the cheapest land they're realistically going to get.

I'm not disputing it being a good site, but you have no way of knowing that it's the cheapest land that they have access to. Politicians on SI had been pushing for a new depot for years and from my understanding they have been at least looking at another site for a depot or have been trying to work with the (MTA) to secure another site for a 5th depot. Quite frankly there is a need for a 5th depot and it should be somewhere close to the SI ferry if possible.

I'm not disputing it being a good site, but you have no way of knowing that it's the cheapest land that they have access to. Politicians on SI had been pushing for a new depot for years and from my understanding they have been at least looking at another site for a depot or have been trying to work with the (MTA) to secure another site for a 5th depot. Quite frankly there is a need for a 5th depot and it should be somewhere close to the SI ferry if possible.

I agree that there should be a 5th depot, but I don't think there is any place the (MTA) could build it near the SI ferry terminal.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I agree that there should be a 5th depot, but I don't there is any place the (MTA) could build it near the SI ferry terminal.

Somewhere in Stapleton could be a possibility. Remember that they Edgewater Depot years ago. That set up of course wasn't any good, but the question is there any space over there that could be used SAFELY to house another depot...

Took a stroll through Zerega today (sorry no pics, its hard to get pics in the shop) and I saw a lot of interesting things. Saw a couple MTAB MCI's being overhauled (interesting only because for some reason I thought that all MTAB buses got sent to ENY and Grand Ave to be worked on), I saw a couple 50xx's and 51xx's being repainted (5102 among them), and the most interesting of all I saw LIB/NICE bus 1664 (O5 CNG of course) on the lift with all the rear compartment panels open...what up wit that?? I thought that MTA was suppose to have cut ties with Long Island. In the back of my mind, I knew this was going to happen

Took a stroll through Zerega today (sorry no pics, its hard to get pics in the shop) and I saw a lot of interesting things. Saw a couple MTAB MCI's being overhauled (interesting only because for some reason I thought that all MTAB buses got sent to ENY and Grand Ave to be worked on), I saw a couple 50xx's and 51xx's being repainted (5102 among them), and the most interesting of all I saw LIB/NICE bus 1664 (O5 CNG of course) on the lift with all the rear compartment panels open...what up wit that?? I thought that MTA was suppose to have cut ties with Long Island. In the back of my mind, I knew this was going to happen

Told you guys, the MTA is still getting paid from Nassau, MTA is some pimps! Farebox Leases, Bus Leases among other things!

MTA still getting that Nassau cash!!!! Should've just left well enough alone, left the MTA in Nassau and just give them what they required to operate. TRUST the candy wrapper is gonna fall off Veolia soon enough and you'll get the bitter ginger inside.

Getting all those buses ready for the DOT alone cost over $6 million... this guy is talking about "saving taxpayers money" and he burned through that much in under two months. Never mind that I have to see that jackass' name on every bus, as if he was some sort of king. I'd tell him to put his money where his mouth is but the crap coming out of his mouth with this and the district rezoning makes that hard.

Told you guys, the MTA is still getting paid from Nassau, MTA is some pimps! Farebox Leases, Bus Leases among other things!

MTA still getting that Nassau cash!!!! Should've just left well enough alone, left the MTA in Nassau and just give them what they required to operate. TRUST the candy wrapper is gonna fall off Veolia soon enough and you'll get the bitter ginger inside.

Yeah bro, this way they can't "run out on the check" anymore. When NICE was still controlled by the MTA, MTA was making money off the system. They couldn't just shit down service to LI because nassau wasn't paying their bill. But now that the MTA is just a vendor, if nassau county doesn't pay up we can just stop servicing the fareboxes :-)

2 questions

Where do bus drivers go after they finish one way peak trips example x68 and qm3. where do they go after they finish back to manhattan to the depot?

Second is possible to get bus depot hats? the x68 I was on the driver was wearing a queens village depot hat and wanted to know if I could get any from any depot.

2 questions

Where do bus drivers go after they finish one way peak trips example x68 and qm3. where do they go after they finish back to manhattan to the depot?

Second is possible to get bus depot hats? the x68 I was on the driver was wearing a queens village depot hat and wanted to know if I could get any from any depot.

Depends on the bus and the driver. Some of them go back to the depot and some deadhead back to the first stop to pick up passengers again.

Second, depot hats can only be obtained by depot personnel I.e if you do not work in that depot, you usually will not get a depot hat...you are not even suppose to be able to get an mta logo hat without being an employee.

oh no, not that bus...