BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Speaking of the "least imaginative" decals, most of the decals from MTA Bus are incredibly samey in composition. The only ones that looks different are Spring Creek and Yonkers, but they each carry two separate issues. Spring Creek's is WAY too busy with the flowers, skyline, and flag in the background. Yonkers's fishbowl is too small; and the skyline on the top, Statue of Liberty, and flag look slapped on.

Yonkers's logo would look MUCH better if it were just the fishbowl and direction arrows to dictate where the main routes would go. It would look cleaner and not so busy. Spring Creek needs to scream "Spring Creek" while keeping it clean and not to cramped.

My most favorite MTA decals come out from Brooklyn:

Jackie_Gleason.png

Fresh_Pond.png

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the "least imaginative" decals, most of the decals from MTA Bus are incredibly samey in composition. The only ones that looks different are Spring Creek and Yonkers, but they each carry two separate issues. Spring Creek's is WAY too busy with the flowers, skyline, and flag in the background. Yonkers's fishbowl is too small; and the skyline on the top, Statue of Liberty, and flag look slapped on.

Yonkers's logo would look MUCH better if it were just the fishbowl and direction arrows to dictate where the main routes would go. It would look cleaner and not so busy. Spring Creek needs to scream "Spring Creek" while keeping it clean and not to cramped.

My most favorite MTA decals come out from Brooklyn:

Jackie_Gleason.png

Fresh_Pond.png

Jackie Gleason is one of the coolest...

I agree on Spring Creek...

Oh yeh Via I wanted to ask you this: I was on the BxM1 yesterday heading up to Riverdale and my bus driver took an interesting route. He headed west on 106th turned onto Madison, drove down to 116th street, turned again onto St. Nicholas, continued down St. Nick until we got onto the Harlem River drive. Does this kind of detour happen often?

Note: I understand why he did this; to avoid traffic on the Harlem River drive. The passengers were pissed off, I personally liked it. I give him props it was a fast detour.

Oh yeh Via I wanted to ask you this: I was on the BxM1 yesterday heading up to Riverdale and my bus driver took an interesting route. He headed west on 106th turned onto Madison, drove down to 116th street, turned again onto St. Nicholas, continued down St. Nick until we got onto the Harlem River drive. Does this kind of detour happen often?

Note: I understand why he did this; to avoid traffic on the Harlem River drive. The passengers were pissed off, I personally liked it. I give him props it was a fast detour.

Yeah well some drivers on the Riverdale lines are smart and some are just airheads. Case in point... Last Sunday I got the 23:15 BxM2... B/O decides to take the Major Deegan when they're repaving the road... They just finished last week, but repaving had been going on for sometime now during late nights... So now he tries to use the side streets over by Yankees' Stadium. I tried to be patient and went to sleep. Woke up an hour later and realized we had barely moved!! I got home AFTER 02:00 in the morning! Ridiculous. The rude prick didn't even have the decency to acknowledge folks speaking to him when they got off.

Now the only time that I've had a major detour like the one you've mentioned was one night on the BxM18. Usually just taking the Harlem River Drive does the trick because of course the Major Deegan tends to be bad when compared to the Harlem River Drive. Anywho, both the Harlem River Drive and Major Deegan were backed up. Okay fine, but the chick started making a gazillion turns that I felt were unnecessary up there in Upper Manhattan and then she was driving like a snail to boot. I got to Riverdale over an hour later. I felt like I was on an SI bus in terms of how long it took. Mind you I get on at 44th & Madison usually, which is the next to last stop, so I can get home in 30 minutes with a good driver. I was annoyed to say the least. I had her on the BxM2 last week and she took over an over to get from 232nd and Henry Hudson Parkway to 50th and 7th. <_< Why she would use the Major Deegan is beyond me when at time of the morning, most BxM2 veterans would take Broadway down to Inwood and just take the Harlem River Drive down to Harlem and get off in the 130s near 5th and go from there.

How did the guy do timewise?

On a side note, there is another chick that does the BxM18... She took so long that I literally had to stop taking her bus. There were no detours and still it took almost an hour and 30 minutes to get to 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway from 44th and Madison. I couldn't believe it. I asked a guy who got off with me and he said "Yeah, she's slow". Slow isn't even the word... <_<

But yeah, all of the drivers have their own way, but I think the newbies tend to stick to the actual route the most (i.e. BxM2s taking the Major Deegan or BxM1s that bypass Inwood taking the Major Deegan). Don't ask me why either because the one thing that Yonkers' Depot does is school the newbies well as to how EVERYTHING works from turning off the lights at the last stop, to announcing the stops and so on.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah well some drivers on the Riverdale lines are smart and some are just airheads. Case in point... Last Sunday I got the 23:15 BxM2... B/O decides to take the Major Deegan when they're repaving the road... They just finished last week, but repaving had been going on for sometime now during late nights... So now he tries to use the side streets over by Yankees' Stadium. I tried to be patient and went to sleep. Woke up an hour later and realized we had barely moved!! I got home AFTER 02:00 in the morning! Ridiculous. The rude prick didn't even have the decency to acknowledge folks speaking to him when they got off.

Now the only time that I've had a major detour like the one you've mentioned was one night on the BxM18. Usually just taking the Harlem River Drive does the trick because of course the Major Deegan tends to be bad when compared to the Harlem River Drive. Anywho, both the Harlem River Drive and Major Deegan were backed up. Okay fine, but the chick started making a gazillion turns that I felt were unnecessary up there in Upper Manhattan and then she was driving like a snail to boot. I got to Riverdale over an hour later. I felt like I was on an SI bus in terms of how long it took. Mind you I get on at 44th & Madison usually, which is the next to last stop, so I can get home in 30 minutes with a good driver. I was annoyed to say the least. I had her on the BxM2 last week and she took over an over to get from 232nd and Henry Hudson Parkway to 50th and 7th. <_< Why she would use the Major Deegan is beyond me when at time of the morning, most BxM2 veterans would take Broadway down to Inwood and just take the Harlem River Drive down to and get off in the 130s near 5th and go from there.

How did the guy do timewise?

On a side note, there is another chick that does the BxM18... She took so long that I literally had to stop taking her bus. There were no detours and still it took almost an hour and 30 minutes to get to 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway from 44th and Madison. I couldn't believe it. I asked a guy who got off with me and he said "Yeah, she's slow". Slow isn't even the word... <_<

But yeah, all of the drivers have their own way, but I think the newbies tend to stick to the actual route the most (i.e. BxM2s taking the Major Deegan or BxM1s that bypass Inwood taking the Major Deegan). Don't ask me why either because the one thing that Yonkers' Depot does is school the newbies well as to how EVERYTHING works from turning off the lights at the last stop, to announcing the stops and so on.

Lol on the second women who operates the 18. Time wise he did great. He hauled ass down St.Nick and flew down the drive.He made it to Riverdale in about 35 minutes from my starting point, 96th street. The man was a veteran no doubt. I have always had luck with the BxM2 and BxM1 ever since the days when Liberty Lines operated those routes. Liberty Lines ran those route better but I digress.

Edited by DanTheTransitMan

Lol on the second women who operates the 18. Time wise he did great. He hauled ass down St.Nick and flew down the drive.He made it to Riverdale in about 35 minutes from my starting point, 96th street. The man was a veteran no doubt. I have always had luck with the BxM2 and BxM1 ever since the days when Liberty Lines operated those routes. Liberty Lines ran those route better but I digress.

lol... 35 minutes... Damn, that's pretty good!!

Yeah, I find usually veterans do the BxM1 and the BxM2 for the most part. I get a mix of newbies and veterans on the BxM18... Had a newbie Friday night. Nice guy, but God was he slow!

Jackie Gleason is one of the coolest...

I agree on Spring Creek...

Jackie Gleason has always been one of the greatest depot decals. Clean in design and really speaks "Jackie Gleason" with the writing and composition.

Another one that I've always liked is the Mother Clara Hale Depot. It doesn't have a bus on it, but it doesn't need it. Mother Clara Hale caring for the child is all that it's needed to create the decal. The one I would change is either the green or the red because it makes the decal a bit busy, but in composition, it speaks a lot.

And a huge guilty pleasure despite a couple of issues:

Westside.jpg

It was a much better decal than the 100th Street Depot decal when 100th Street was remodeled. The missing "W" in the compass followed by the older typeface makes me think of a company going forward and reminding people of the old times. It's a great typeface and doesn't resort to Peignot (found on the 100th Street and Fresh Pond decals) or Helvetica.

If I were the designer, two things I would work on are these:

1. Better stroke separation between the compass and "s" in "Westside." Currently, the "s" blends in a little too much.

2. Adjust the kerning between the "W" and "e." There's a big gap between the two letters, making it appear as "W estside Depot" instead of "Westside Depot."

I say all NYCT depots in queens need a new depot sticker. I was thinking maybe CS can have a hybrid Orion 7 bus with a baseball field and a baseball bat. QV can have a crown with a Orion 7 face the right side with QV under it and lastly Jamaica maybe a subway and bus face to face and it will say Jamaica on the bottom and will be in a red color.

Speaking of depot decals, Flatbush desperately needs an overhaul. It's just a yellow logo (with type around the edges) and the front of an RTS. It doesn't speak "Flatbush" one minute. Maybe a bus like an Orion VII NG or an RTS riding on top of a bush with a flat top will do.

BTW, has anyone beside me ever noticed that the Quill and Tuskegee depot decals are different size in comparison to the others? Quill's is bigger than the designated size, and Tuskegee's is smaller.

No, what it needs is a flat bush.

A flat bush dosen't say anything about the depot or the neighborhood at all, just sayin'..

Flatbush just needs the bus to be changed to an NG. It's a decal, not fine art...

All I think should be done is if the decal has a bus on it, put a newer bus on the decal.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Jackie Gleason has always been one of the greatest depot decals. Clean in design and really speaks "Jackie Gleason" with the writing and composition.

Another one that I've always liked is the Mother Clara Hale Depot. It doesn't have a bus on it, but it doesn't need it. Mother Clara Hale caring for the child is all that it's needed to create the decal. The one I would change is either the green or the red because it makes the decal a bit busy, but in composition, it speaks a lot.

And a huge guilty pleasure despite a couple of issues:

Westside.jpg

It was a much better decal than the 100th Street Depot decal when 100th Street was remodeled. The missing "W" in the compass followed by the older typeface makes me think of a company going forward and reminding people of the old times. It's a great typeface and doesn't resort to Peignot (found on the 100th Street and Fresh Pond decals) or Helvetica.

If I were the designer, two things I would work on are these:

1. Better stroke separation between the compass and "s" in "Westside." Currently, the "s" blends in a little too much.

2. Adjust the kerning between the "W" and "e." There's a big gap between the two letters, making it appear as "W estside Depot" instead of "Westside Depot."

Funny because I never realized this with the Westside Depot decal.... As for Mother Clara Hale, I think the decal looks great as it is. The color scheme makes sense to me as it allows the decal to be more abstract. I wonder if that logo will be changed slightly when the new depot opens.

Random thought: why don't they remove those useless video screens from the sides of the 55xx D60's when they do an 8 year general overhaul? The 8 year is the big one where the bus gets FULL paint and body work, ALL new suspension and brake components, and even a new floor in some cases. So why not take the time to replace the body panel's they cut out to install those screens?? That's just one of Tue many random things that bugs the crap out of me about this company

I don't get the reason behind S79 SBS if off board fare collection isn't implemented.

Because it'll be better (hopefully) than the old S79. I mean, as long as those improvements are made, IDGAF what they call it.

In any case, I finally got to see one of those S46s that starts at Clove Road. Since it was ahead of us (and I think an S96 was about 4-5 minutes ahead of us), the Clove Road S46 was actually more crowded than the Mariners' Harbor S46. Those things must really help out when there's problems on the westward portion of the route.

Because it'll be better (hopefully) than the old S79. I mean, as long as those improvements are made, IDGAF what they call it.

In any case, I finally got to see one of those S46s that starts at Clove Road. Since it was ahead of us (and I think an S96 was about 4-5 minutes ahead of us), the Clove Road S46 was actually more crowded than the Mariners' Harbor S46. Those things must really help out when there's problems on the westward portion of the route.

Speaking of the S46, I gotta check out that Teleport Business Park just for kicks....but that S46/S96 = hell on wheels...