BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I glad I worked in Manhattan today. Just shot it on the M3. On another note, 5607 was on the M15 SBS earlier. It's on the local now. Sent from my Motorola Moto G.

Some SBS buses from 126th were borrowed for today's PBP-Orchard Beach shuttle (J-Lo concert).

Buses were also borrowed from KB, WF and CS, and other than a lone hybrid from GH, it was all artics.

On another note, myself and anyone that came from a Bx12 local/SBS to the Bx12 shuttle apparently paid two fares on the way to the beach since they made everyone dip their cards on the shuttle.

And the bus stop that thinks it's a subway station at Orchard was not being used for the buses, it was used as an NYPD staging area.

Its going to be interesting to see how popular this hobby will be once the RTSs, Orion Vs and D60s retire. Same goes for when the 179s clean house of the remaining 60 foot SMEEs...

One thing I noticed is the NYC transitfan community seems to have had far more people than TF communities in other cities, most people will agree that NYC is the most entertaining when it comes to a hobby like this one.. I honestly think that this hobby will downsize greatly once everything older than the green sign LF Orions and 46s are retired.

Edited by trainfan22

Its going to be interesting to see how popular this hobby will be once the RTSs, Orion Vs and D60s retire. Same goes for when the 179s clean house of the remaining 60 foot SMEEs...

One thing I noticed is the NYC transitfan community seems to have had far more people than TF communities in other cities, most people will agree that NYC is the most entertaining when it comes to a hobby like this one.. I honestly think that this hobby will downsize greatly once everything older than the green sign LF Orions and 46s are retired.

I doubt that will happen. As soon as those older buses are cleared out, I bet that people will begin to fan the next set of vehicles, like the early Orion VIIs and the R46's. While I bet that a lot of you do not like the Orion VIIs now, I bet that when it is near the end, you will all be talking about "how they were great vehicles". I am personally doing that in Toronto now, where Orion VII retirements are set to begin in about a year. My point is that once these old vehicles leave, I think that most transit fans will simply move on to the next vehicles (i.e. the ones being delivered to replace those older vehicles and the vehicles that are next in line for retirement).

I need to get this off my chest. I like how some people want new trains but older buses staying on our streets. There's no logic in that.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you please clarify? I guess people want new subways because it is very big and represents New York City in the world.

Lets fight to keep the RTS's and the Orion V's! Hybrids suck and are useless!!! If it aint broke, dont fix it!

It's more simple to just enjoy them while they're here. It's not like we getting more hybrids anyway. MTA's done with that.

Edited by E For Erica

I rode 7006 on the S53 today, a solid bus, not one rattle, ate bumps, no squeaking when breaking. It was surprising noting the bus is almost 3, it's from Castleton, and it deals with staten island streets. Real good bus there, felt like it came right from the factory.

Those third gens are usually quiet enough for a nap. I'm glad i'm finished with the semester though. Next time I'll be taking one is Sep. 11th. :D

Every time I'm on a 3G, I have a little sad on the inside. The build quality is so massively good. What the hell were Daimler thinking? They would've won the contract for 690 buses (+ the option for 700 or whatever it is) easily and made a shitload of money. Instead of we get the idiotically-designed LFS (I swear, the wheelbase...WHY? f**kING WHY?!) and some New Flyer rattle boxes that'll fall apart in a handful of years.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you please clarify? I guess people want new subways because it is very big and represents New York City in the world.

What I mean is that some people want newer trains but older buses ex: RTS, O5's. Instead of excepting the fact that OG's, NG's, LFS and Excelsior's are moving in