BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, MHV9218 said:

It's a huge issue. One guy breaking the rules messes up the air for everybody, and unlike the locals you can't open a window to air things out. It's pure selfishness...definition of a break of the social contract. I feel like Costanza... 'we're trying to live in a SOCIETY here!' I don't blame the B/Os for not getting involved. It really requires a cop to fine the violators, but of course half the cops won't wear their masks anyway. 

It doesn't help, either, that a lot of the express bus routes (especially the Staten Island and South Brooklyn lines) correspond with the neighborhoods with the most anti-mask residents. [That's not a political comment, that's just a reality.] 

It doesn’t help that many of the anti-mask people tend to get very violent. There have been incidents where people got violent just because they were told to wear masks (a lot of those incidents did crop up on Staten Island buses).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

It doesn’t help that many of the anti-mask people tend to get very violent. There have been incidents where people got violent just because they were told to wear masks (a lot of those incidents did crop up on Staten Island buses).

Yup, i know someone who needed stitches after getting shoved from asking someone to put on a mask. I'm done telling people to put it on. I may start driving to work or taking cabs, especially if streets empty out again when more restrictions inevitably go back into effect in the next few weeks 

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yup, i know someone who needed stitches after getting shoved from asking someone to put on a mask. I'm done telling people to put it on. I may start driving to work or taking cabs, especially if streets empty out again when more restrictions inevitably go back into effect in the next few weeks 

Man..I've never seen someone go to that extreme over a piece of cloth over their nose and mouth. But yet, I bet that these are the same people that'll become an extremist after either catching it, someone in their family catching it, or someone they know that died off of it. It's ridiculous.

But I've also seen that too (some riders not wearing a mask or having one at all), and it's happening more often as the cases go up. It's like people just love starting propaganda.

16 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Anyone else having lots of issues of passengers literally refusing to put on masks on the express buses? I messaged VG8 about this, but it is crazy. At least one passenger per bus ride on average refuses to put on a mask at all, and gets angry with me for asking them to do so. I’ve had yelling matches with people, but the BOs don’t want to get involved and neither do other passengers, so I give up on it. COVID rates are spiking and these selfish pricks won’t put on a little mask to keep us all a little. Safer for 45 minutes. Really makes my blood boil. I don’t know what to do about this. 

Not me(yet).

Although, I did see someone get yanked off an Express Bus last night near the Queensboro Bridge, probably for that exact reason.

The whole thing is exhausting. The first time covid spread in NYC, it basically corresponded to neighborhoods with hard-working people who were forced to work in tight conditions. That's why Corona and Elmhurst got hit so hard, tons of people working in construction, in kitchens, restaurants. It was a really unfair, uneven thing that all these working people got sick while the rich people in Manhattan and elsewhere just fled to their country homes. Showed a lot about who's really a New Yorker. 

The second wave, it's not moving that way. It's spreading in neighborhoods because of stupid politics and people who don't believe in covid, or don't believe in masks. You got the pro-Trump orthodox Jews, still having thousands of people at a wedding and burning masks; you got the pro-Trump Staten Islanders, holding protests about keeping their bars open and their right to get drunk. And those are the areas with the most serious spread, and the rest of us just have to deal with it when they spread it to the rest of us. Pretty awful if you ask me. This should be bigger than politics. It's pure selfishness. 

58 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not me(yet).

Although, I did see someone get yanked off an Express Bus last night near the Queensboro Bridge, probably for that exact reason.

Interesting, who yanked them off? NYPD? If there's a mechanism to get people thrown off, that would be good to know?

59 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The whole thing is exhausting. The first time covid spread in NYC, it basically corresponded to neighborhoods with hard-working people who were forced to work in tight conditions. That's why Corona and Elmhurst got hit so hard, tons of people working in construction, in kitchens, restaurants. It was a really unfair, uneven thing that all these working people got sick while the rich people in Manhattan and elsewhere just fled to their country homes. Showed a lot about who's really a New Yorker. 

The second wave, it's not moving that way. It's spreading in neighborhoods because of stupid politics and people who don't believe in covid, or don't believe in masks. You got the pro-Trump orthodox Jews, still having thousands of people at a wedding and burning masks; you got the pro-Trump Staten Islanders, holding protests about keeping their bars open and their right to get drunk. And those are the areas with the most serious spread, and the rest of us just have to deal with it when they spread it to the rest of us. Pretty awful if you ask me. This should be bigger than politics. It's pure selfishness. 

So in other words, you are trying to say that it's mainly Republican supporters doing this? Well I guess the women that have boarded on my express buses in Riverdale must be Republicans too because a few of them got on, pulled their mask down and started yacking on the phone, and I confronted one of them about her rude behavior and she pulled her mask back up. It's not a Republican thing or a Democratic thing. It's just people that are entitled and selfish. I wear my mask when I'm on public transit and I'm a Republican, so please stop stereotyping people based on their political affiliation. I know plenty of other Republicans that wear their masks, just as I know some Democrats that don't either.

The amount of people I don't see wearing masks, especially in Manhattan, and particularly when going to the subway is disturbing, and if I had to bet, they likely aren't Republicans or Democrats either. Just not very smart...

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in other words, you are trying to say that it's mainly Republican supporters doing this? Well I guess the women that have boarded on my express buses in Riverdale must be Republicans too because a few of them got on, pulled their mask down and started yacking on the phone, and I confronted one of them about her rude behavior and she pulled her mask back up. It's not a Republican thing or a Democratic thing. It's just people that are entitled and selfish. I wear my mask when I'm on public transit and I'm a Republican, so please stop stereotyping people based on their political affiliation. I know plenty of other Republicans that wear their masks, just as I know some Democrats that don't either.

The amount of people I don't see wearing masks, especially in Manhattan, and particularly when going to the subway is disturbing, and if I had to bet, they likely aren't Republicans or Democrats either. Just not very smart...

A lot of people of all backgrounds have been refusing to wear masks. Its just those that are pro-Trump (and to an extent the current administration) have been a lot louder and up-front regarding their stance on this pandemic compared to others.

42 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We're just talking about facts here. We all know who the most vocal anti-mask, anti-lockdown, covid-truther types are. It's a known reality that the Orthodox Jews have had pro-Trump mask burning rallies, just as the 'autonomous zone' anti-lockdown protests in Staten Island have been pro-Trump. Joe Borelli of Staten Island, a major Republican councilman, proudly announced he was having a full family indoor no-mask gathering for Thanksgiving with people coming in from all over. As recently as two days ago the NY Young Republicans club had a 150-person indoor no-mask event that they staged in defiance of 'communist Cuomo.' I'm just quoting these events.

If all of this bothers you, you are welcome to write to people in power and tell them how you feel about what they're doing. But what we don't need is for you to ignore facts and say that this is 'stereotyping' about the hotspots of the covid outbreak (Orthodox Brooklyn and south shore Staten Island). 

9 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

A lot of people of all backgrounds have been refusing to wear masks. Its just those that are pro-Trump (and to an extent the current administration) have been a lot louder and up-front regarding their stance on this pandemic compared to others.

Doesn't make a difference if they are louder or not, because there are non-Republicans that have been equally loud about not wearing a mask. Not sure why that should matter. Ultimately, all of these people (pro-Trump and non pro-Trump) aren't wearing masks for their own selfish reasons, which is the problem, so it's not a "Republican" thing, especially not in Manhattan, which is heavily Democrat. Neither group should get a pass. 

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

We're just talking about facts here. We all know who the most vocal anti-mask, anti-lockdown, covid-truther types are. It's a known reality that the Orthodox Jews have had pro-Trump mask burning rallies, just as the 'autonomous zone' anti-lockdown protests in Staten Island have been pro-Trump. Joe Borelli of Staten Island, a major Republican councilman, proudly announced he was having a full family indoor no-mask gathering for Thanksgiving with people coming in from all over. As recently as two days ago the NY Young Republicans club had a 150-person indoor no-mask event that they staged in defiance of 'communist Cuomo.' I'm just quoting these events.

If all of this bothers you, you are welcome to write to people in power and tell them how you feel about what they're doing. But what we don't need is for you to ignore facts and say that this is 'stereotyping' about the hotspots of the covid outbreak (Orthodox Brooklyn and south shore Staten Island). 

And so am I. Just as you have hotspots in the areas mentioned, you have hotspots in non-Republican areas... Lots of the Bronx, and parts pf Manhattan have had serious outbreaks because people aren't wearing masks, and I'm pretty sure they aren't Republican. The virus doesn't give a damn who is Republican and who is a Democrat and their ideology. That's the point. The areas where people aren't wearing masks, Republican OR Democrat are seeing high rates, and it isn't just Republican areas either. Large parts of the Bronx and Queens that are not known to be Republican strongholds have high rates, so let's give the whole Republican or Democrat nonsense a rest.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Doesn't make a difference if they are louder or not, because there are non-Republicans that have been equally loud about not wearing a mask. Not sure why that should matter. Ultimately, all of these people (pro-Trump and non pro-Trump) aren't wearing masks for their own selfish reasons, which is the problem, so it's not a "Republican" thing, especially not in Manhattan, which is heavily Democrat. Neither group should get a pass. 

You and I both know this isn't true.

Some stupid Democrats, out of personal ignorance, have chosen not to wear masks. They should be ashamed and criticized by others. 

The Republican party, as a political position from Trump on down, has made fun of mask-wearing and told people not to do it. So their members have actively made a point of not wearing masks, burning them, starting fights at stores, on buses, in restaurants. It's put B/O and T/Os at risk. As a result, we have this:

image001_eb579df04824a2ddf28ce580470f6af

I'm glad you wear a mask. I wish more Republicans were like you in that way. But that doesn't mean we should ignore reality.

20 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

You and I both know this isn't true.

Some stupid Democrats, out of personal ignorance, have chosen not to wear masks. They should be ashamed and criticized by others. 

The Republican party, as a political position from Trump on down, has made fun of mask-wearing and told people not to do it. So their members have actively made a point of not wearing masks, burning them, starting fights at stores, on buses, in restaurants. It's put B/O and T/Os at risk. As a result, we have this:

image001_eb579df04824a2ddf28ce580470f6af

I'm glad you wear a mask. I wish more Republicans were like you in that way. But that doesn't mean we should ignore reality.

No one is ignoring reality, but my point stands. Ultimately, it is up to each individual, regardless of their party affiliation, to wear a mask. Even with the stats you have listed, it still shows that the majority of Americans tend to wear masks. These stats don't show where in public this mask wearing takes place. 

The rule has always been that mask wearing is only necessary when you are inside and can't socially distance. Outside, if I can socially distance and no one is around, I don't wear a mask. Inside of stores, or other indoor places, my mask is on, so overall, these stats aren't the end of the world. It goes back to those that feel entitled. I've had lots of older people in particular that haven't been wearing masks, that I am sure are not Trump supporters. They are just clueless and or careless.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

42 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The only incidents I've heard of where people actively got into fights regarding masks were on routes serving the heavily Democratic North Shore.

I've also worked at a supermarket on the North Shore until this past August, and while not wearing a mask at all was relatively uncommon, I saw plenty of people wearing "chinguards" or having their mouth covered but not their nose. No idea what their political affiliation was (if there even was any), but either way there are stupid people from both parties. Maybe it's a higher percentage from people who voted Republican, but it's still too many people from both sides.

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The only incidents I've heard of where people actively got into fights regarding masks were on routes serving the heavily Democratic North Shore.

I've also worked at a supermarket on the North Shore until this past August, and while not wearing a mask at all was relatively uncommon, I saw plenty of people wearing "chinguards" or having their mouth covered but not their nose. No idea what their political affiliation was (if there even was any), but either way there are stupid people from both parties. Maybe it's a higher percentage from people who voted Republican, but it's still too many people from both sides.

And this is inarguable. I think anybody who doesn't wear a mask is a fool, regardless of political affiliation. I just thought the conversation could benefit from some data, which  that survey and poll gives, rather than just anecdotes about 'both sides.' There's a pretty clear slant. 

Honestly, hoping masks become a trend even after this is all over; covering your mouth with hands or arms is not as effective, and I found that masks actually limited my normal pollen symptoms back when this all started in the spring.

That and not showing up sick to work. Don't get me sick, a**hole.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Honestly, hoping masks become a trend even after this is all over; covering your mouth with hands or arms is not as effective, and I found that masks actually limited my normal pollen symptoms back when this all started in the spring.

The whole thing just makes you rethink a lot of habits. I can't believe I used to share drinks and...uh...other things. Seems like such a recipe for disaster now.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I agree, after all this is under control, anytime I or anyone else has even the slightest bit of symptoms of anything (or is at home with a sick person), they should be calling out of work (or working remotely if possible) and wearing a mask upon return for a few days.

As someone who has to wear a mask for about 11 hours per day 5 days per week, I will say that that level of mask wearing is not perpetually sustainable, at least not for me. My cheeks and chin have been perpetually red since about June (even though I started wearing it that consistently in March, it took a few months for the redness to appear consistently). But, there is a definitely a happy medium once covid is under control and we just need to worry about the "usual" illnesses. 

I've also become a fan of face shields/surgical goggles. The more barriers between me and the mouthbreathers out there, the better. 

It's funny that everyone here made fun of of the folks from Asia who wore masks on the subway after SARS and Ebola...jokes on the rest of us, I guess.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

As someone who has to wear a mask for about 11 hours per day 5 days per week, I will say that that level of mask wearing is not perpetually sustainable, at least not for me. My cheeks and chin have been perpetually red since about June (even though I started wearing it that consistently in March, it took a few months for the redness to appear consistently). But, there is a definitely a happy medium once covid is under control and we just need to worry about the "usual" illnesses. 

Are you wearing fabric or surgical masks? I find the disposable masks much better.

37 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Are you wearing fabric or surgical masks? I find the disposable masks much better.

Surgical (and N95 as needed)...my work has lots of hospital and nursing home contracts, so I'm in those settings all day. Fabric are generally not permitted in the places I'm in.