BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I don’t think they’re “rushing” to scrap. They’re 13-14 years old and new buses are to be delivered very soon.

I mean if we're going off maintenance issues alone, shouldn't we see the same rate of buses going to scrap from BC as we do from NYCT? But we don't and they're spec'd the same for the most part. At a time when money is tight, getting rid of old buses for new ones just seems like we're taking it for granted. I know older buses are more expensive to maintain but there was barely any time in between the Gen II's and Gen II+'s.

Edited by danielhg121

28 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't see the point of UP getting NG hybrids, the oldest buses at Ulmer is the 4800s which is newer than the NG hybrids.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see NGs at Ulmer as an busfan though..

As East New York continues to scrap buses and due to get more NG's from Manhattanville + Kingsbridge. Some buses will end up at Ulmer Park. Don't be surprised if Flatbush and Fresh Pond end up with some buses too.

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

As East New York continues to scrap buses and due to get more NG's from Manhattanville + Kingsbridge. Some buses will end up at Ulmer Park. Don't be surprised if Flatbush and Fresh Pond end up with some buses too.

Some buses doesn’t necessarily mean 2009 Hybrids. We’re still not sure if these buses are loans or transfers. Ulmer Park has received hybrids as loans from East New York, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue numerous times in the past. Let’s give it a couple of days to see if these buses hit service and if more are on the way.

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Some buses doesn’t necessarily mean 2009 Hybrids. We’re still not sure if these buses are loans or transfers. Ulmer Park has received hybrids as loans from East New York, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue numerous times in the past. Let’s give it a couple of days to see if these buses hit service and if more are on the way.

You are correct. However, from what we discussed this morning UP may end up getting NG transfers this time around. Of course if those said buses were at FB or FP this would be different. But, those buses as of now are at UP according to the roster.  When I saw you posted those 2 buses at UP, I immediately said they were loans but others are saying that those buses could be staying there. If they see service... That's another story.  Also, UP has received NG's from Flatbush also in the past. Definitely let's give it till the end of the week!

The amount of posts on Twitter from the (MTA) about missing buses has been alarming. Saturday they could barely make the BM schedule, and those buses only run once an hour or less!  Over the last few weeks, I have seen ongoing posts with a litany of local and express lines where they are short drivers.  Really nuts...

50 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The amount of posts on Twitter from the (MTA) about missing buses has been alarming. Saturday they could barely make the BM schedule, and those buses only run once an hour or less!  Over the last few weeks, I have seen ongoing posts with a litany of local and express lines where they are short drivers.  Really nuts...

A true shame for us in the East Flatbush, Flatbush area considering the B46 and B41 are Zoo's on wheels...

7 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

A true shame for us in the East Flatbush, Flatbush area considering the B46 and B41 are Zoo's on wheels...

It's a shame all around. I spoke before the (MTA) Board last week about the fare hikes and I addressed Mr. Cipriano directly because the bus service STINKS.  Every day they're tweeting a bunch of lines where they can't make service. He can't even keep the buses tracking on BusTime consistently. It's ridiculous. I don't care if he was embarrassed. He should be... BusTime has been around for almost 10 years now and we get constant complaints about riders being unable to track their bus. When I use NJTransit, I don't have such issues.

Overnight, the bus service has been atrocious.  I have started joining the Riders Alliance in calling for the subways to be re-opened again overnight because they can't even meet the minimum service on their schedules. The BM2 only runs once an hour overnight for most of the night save the 4am hour, and they are struggling to even provide that. NY1 did a story on people that have to work overnight. One lady travels almost two hours one way for what used to be a 30 minute commute via the subway. She said she is preparing to buy a car and will stop using the (MTA) going forward. Can't work in the hospitals and be late for work.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's a shame all around. I spoke before the (MTA) Board last week about the fare hikes and I addressed Mr. Cipriano directly because the bus service STINKS.  Every day they're tweeting a bunch of lines where they can't make service. He can't even keep the buses tracking on BusTime consistently. It's ridiculous. I don't care if he was embarrassed. He should be... BusTime has been around for almost 10 years now and we get constant complaints about riders being unable to track their bus. When I use NJTransit, I don't have such issues.

Overnight, the bus service has been atrocious.  I have started joining the Riders Alliance in calling for the subways to be re-opened again overnight because they can't even meet the minimum service on their schedules. The BM2 only runs once an hour overnight for most of the night save the 4am hour, and they are struggling to even provide that. NY1 did a story on people that have to work overnight. One lady travels almost two hours one way for what used to be a 30 minute commute via the subway. She said she is preparing to buy a car and will stop using the (MTA) going forward. Can't work in the hospitals and be late for work.

I agree, the subway closure is idiotic at this point. And it surprises me that there isn’t more media backlash about it. I guess the politically connected people aren’t the ones using public transportation overnight...

I think I missed the reasoning a while back when this was being discussed, but what was the reason behind the Q58 not being  converted to artics? Was it because of the union? 

In a way I think it’s good that the Q58 didn’t get converted yet because that route bunches terribly with all the traffic it faces but it’s still frequent and from my experience I never had to wait forever for the bus to come. However it is not uncommon to see 4 and 5 buses bunched and whenever it does get converted I feel like you have buses still bunched up with longer wait times. 

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I agree, the subway closure is idiotic at this point. And it surprises me that there isn’t more media backlash about it. I guess the politically connected people aren’t the ones using public transportation overnight...

Isn’t the MTA wasting more money running empty subway cars along with the additional late night bus service? 

As far as I’m concerned since subway service overall is low, I’m sure overnight will see even lighter service than before. Even if the (MTA) has to cut late night frequency to 30 minutes on some lines I’d say do it. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Isn’t the MTA wasting more money running empty subway cars along with the additional late night bus service? 

As far as I’m concerned since subway service overall is low, I’m sure overnight will see even lighter service than before. Even if the (MTA) has to cut late night frequency to 30 minutes on some lines I’d say do it. 

What are you talking about? There are plenty of people that have to travel overnight to work, especially essential workers like those that work in the hospitals. Not cool to be advocating for cuts to overnight subway service when it returns.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Isn't it kinda weird how none of the Next Gen's are scrapped? One of the largest orders of buses and not one of them has ended up in scrap... It's a bit remarkable you gotta admit, even if you hate them.

I know! Several of them have been involved in accidents too. They’re survivors lol.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Isn't it kinda weird how none of the Next Gen's are scrapped? One of the largest orders of buses and not one of them has ended up in scrap... It's a bit remarkable you gotta admit, even if you hate them.

2021 you may start seeing them get scrapped. The oldest bus is from 2008. 

23 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

2021 you may start seeing them get scrapped. The oldest bus is from 2008. 

But that’s only 13 years and most are in good to excellent condition. If anything I say the worst performing ones will hit the scrap yard first. Something tells me that 3rd quarter 2021 into 2022 we will see scraps as deliveries come in for newer buses. 

17 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

But that’s only 13 years and most are in good to excellent condition. If anything I say the worst performing ones will hit the scrap yard first. Something tells me that 3rd quarter 2021 into 2022 we will see scraps as deliveries come in for newer buses. 

Yeah believe it or not, but those buses are workhorses. It's crazy to look up on the order and see that none have been canned even for the biggest accident.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What are you talking about? There are plenty of people that have to travel overnight to work, especially essential workers like those that work in the hospitals. Not cool to be advocating for cuts to overnight subway service when it returns.

I know there are people who travel overnight as I used to be one of those people but regardless service will still be much lighter than usual. Plus the MTA is about to make some big cuts so I wouldn’t be surprised if overnight service was modified at least on some lines. I don’t want to advocate for cuts but being that the agency is in the financial position that it’s in anything is possible. 

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Plus a lot of them are probably going to MTA bus within the next year. 

1 minute ago, NBTA said:

Yeah believe it or not, but those buses are workhorses. It's crazy to look up on the order and see that none have been canned even for the biggest accident.

You right. When I saw 4619 in that big accident almost 6 years ago on Utica. I immediately thought bus was definitely SCRAP. It took almost 18 months for that bus to return into service