BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Isn’t the MTA wasting more money running empty subway cars along with the additional late night bus service? 

As far as I’m concerned since subway service overall is low, I’m sure overnight will see even lighter service than before. Even if the (MTA) has to cut late night frequency to 30 minutes on some lines I’d say do it. 

Yup, and that's the stupid part. They need to do one or the other. Either actually stop running the trains, and continue the extra bus service, or let people on the trains and they can eliminate the extra bus service.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What are you talking about? There are plenty of people that have to travel overnight to work, especially essential workers like those that work in the hospitals. Not cool to be advocating for cuts to overnight subway service when it returns.

I mean there's going to be cuts somewhere. Cutting overnight service from 20 minute headways to 30 minute headways is better than cutting bus headways from 30 minute headways to 60 minute headways, or worse, cutting some routes entirely. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Isn't it kinda weird how none of the Next Gen's are scrapped? One of the largest orders of buses and not one of them has ended up in scrap... It's a bit remarkable you gotta admit, even if you hate them.

I think ethier 1804 or 1808 or both were scrapped when the Nassau County bus system was still ran by the MTA. One of those buses got T boned by a vehicle at high speed.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know there are people who travel overnight as I used to be one of those people but regardless service will still be much lighter than usual. Plus the MTA is about to make some big cuts so I wouldn’t be surprised if overnight service was modified at least on some lines. I don’t want to advocate for cuts but being that the agency is in the financial position that it’s in anything is possible. 

We don't know if the (MTA) is about to do anything. Too busy jumping the gun. They have always stated that they will not cut service unless they can't get the funding they need, and even then, no changes to service would come until May 2021.

10 hours ago, NBTA said:

It would've been cool to see the FB Novas and some MJQ units to head to CS, in exchange for the XDs, but I'm pushing boundaries lol

Hey you never know. I can definitely see CS  2017 XD60s being swapped out in the near future because they are probably racking up the mileage just being solely for the Q44. 

10 hours ago, Snorunts said:

It was 1804. Type in on Google search “MTA Bus 1804” and click images.

Here is the link http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=270435

I sure miss when those Orion VII CNG’s had the blue and white MTA scheme. The orange and blue NICE bus wrap looks terrible at this point because I don’t think they ever got rewrapped. 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Hey you never know. I can definitely see CS  2017 XD60s being swapped out in the near future because they are probably racking up the mileage just being solely for the Q44. 

Considering the LFS are most likely coming in to replace the XD40's (around 75 LFS if options exercised to replace a fleet of 70 XD40's whereas the NG fleet is 90 buses), they might swap out the XD60's as well to store less parts and make it easier on maintenance. It does make me question why the Q44 hasn't received information destination signs yet and they're the only SBS route yet to receive them, maybe they'll be swapped to local service soon. 

57 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Considering the LFS are most likely coming in to replace the XD40's (around 75 LFS if options exercised to replace a fleet of 70 XD40's whereas the NG fleet is 90 buses), they might swap out the XD60's as well to store less parts and make it easier on maintenance. It does make me question why the Q44 hasn't received information destination signs yet and they're the only SBS route yet to receive them, maybe they'll be swapped to local service soon. 

A lot of the XD40s out of CS doesn’t have them either.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, danielhg121 said:

Isn't it kinda weird how none of the Next Gen's are scrapped? One of the largest orders of buses and not one of them has ended up in scrap... It's a bit remarkable you gotta admit, even if you hate them.

How would that be weird when there's no replacements for them?

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

How would that be weird when there's no replacements for them?

I'm just saying that no accident has sent one to scrap permanently given that the fleet is huge (852 buses) at one point spanning 5 boroughs. They are up there in terms of age and none of them have been seriously damaged to the point of no repair is remarkable. Unlike the Orion OG, 6853 suffered a fire very early on and just went to scrap. 

4 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm just saying that no accident has sent one to scrap permanently given that the fleet is huge (852 buses) at one point spanning 5 boroughs. They are up there in terms of age and none of them have been seriously damaged to the point of no repair is remarkable. Unlike the Orion OG, 6853 suffered a fire very early on and just went to scrap. 

The fire damage in 6853 affected the frame. They had no choice but to scrap it. The other OGs that got into accidents with bad damage from recent years were scrapped and parted out for other buses to take advantage of those parts. They were already near retirement age/at retirement age.

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Chances are the LFSs will boot out most of the NGs. They won't boot out the XD40s primarily because the XD40s and XD60s can share parts between the two models, makes maintenance costs much lower.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, trainfan22 said:

I think ethier 1804 or 1808 or both were scrapped when the Nassau County bus system was still ran by the MTA. One of those buses got T boned by a vehicle at high speed.

1804 got scrapped, 1808 was repair and returned to service eventually.

This is the most recent video I got of it, in 2016.

What bus model is 9510? Rode it the other night on the B12. Not a bus fan but this model stood out to me. The back doors open/close much faster than the traditional one's. Always hated that delay the traditional one's had when closing. I don't like how some of the seats on the left face towards the right though. 

2 hours ago, brakethrow said:

What bus model is 9510? Rode it the other night on the B12. Not a bus fan but this model stood out to me. The back doors open/close much faster than the traditional one's. Always hated that delay the traditional one's had when closing. I don't like how some of the seats on the left face towards the right though. 

That's one of the XDE40s, albeit with spec changes from 9500-9509.

11 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Well yeah I did say Eny is still holding on to it which would mean that the bus is inside the Depot lol.

Obviously the depot holds onto buses that are also still in service too, which is why I asked. If the bus is marked as retired, it will be driven or towed to the Bronx in a matter a days.

43 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Obviously the depot holds onto buses that are also still in service too, which is why I asked. If the bus is marked as retired, it will be driven or towed to the Bronx in a matter a days.

The  Bus isn't  in service as you can see... but they are still holding on to the bus what so ever. If that's  the case the bus would have been at Eastchester  and someone would of have mentioned  it by now which I have not seen yet so either  the bus could be retired already and that it's  on hold for Eastchester  and or it would be used for other things.

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

How much more time do the Proterra BE40 and NFI XE40 have until their 3 year pilot program is over?

Good question, I'm thinking next year we might get an order for both of them. We shall see though. 

If I had it my way, I'd get all three (BE, XE, LFSe).

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Another year, an extra year was added due to the Proterras being OOS for several months.

Maybe I've said this before, but I wish we could outright buy these buses (as in, the exact units currently running under this program).