BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does the M35 not have designated fleet for itself? Whenever I see the route it always has a mix of random buses running on it, including SBS buses.

EDIT: While also on the topic, what depot does the X80 run from and what fleet does it use?

The M35 does not have a specific type of bus needed b.c it uses whatever is left over at the depot. (Example: Hale has the 1/7 for standards: 8 units are left and 15-SBS Artic: 10 units are left at the depot during the rush, any spares (hybrids and Artics from a random number) they have gets thrown to that line)

The X80 is any NYCT depot covered for special events (that has available spares). The fleet is any 40 footer or 62 ft Articulated bus. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lex said:

And what the hell does he know?

Exactly. Biden just wanted to give his good friend Pete some fancy seat cuz he endorsed him. And you're right... what does he know? Because the only experience that I know he has in transit is getting someone killed by removing a traffic stop. Granted, in that regard, you could argue Trottenberg from the DOT is way worse. I'm guessing he will just focus on investing in infrastructure or something, considering that was part of his platform, but as for understanding commuters and the country's various transit systems... I don't see it.

I don't know if this was a system-wide upgrade, or just queens, but as of today, the mobile version of bustime shows the bus number of all listed buses and for some buses on the Q46 I saw it also listed the number of passengers on board. It was useful in letting me know which express bus has wifi as I needed to do some work today.

Of course, the usual old Russian guy who always takes his mask off in the trip was sitting in his usual seat. Sigh. 

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Feinberg seems like a long shot. At least, I pray she's a long shot – she's horrible. Trottenberg I've heard repeatedly as a candidate, particularly given her past federal experience as Under-Secretary at the DOT. I have mixed feelings. Maybe she's somebody who shines under a strong leader.

Edit: guess that just changed. It's Buttigeg.

7 hours ago, Lex said:

And what the hell does he know?

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Exactly. Biden just wanted to give his good friend Pete some fancy seat cuz he endorsed him. And you're right... what does he know? Because the only experience that I know he has in transit is getting someone killed by removing a traffic stop. Granted, in that regard, you could argue Trottenberg from the DOT is way worse. I'm guessing he will just focus on investing in infrastructure or something, considering that was part of his platform, but as for understanding commuters and the country's various transit systems... I don't see it.

This type of cronyism and patronage, endemic among mainstream Democrats, is exactly why I supported Sanders instead.

Edited by R10 2952

6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but there's an express bus laid over at Woodlawn saying "SUBWAY SHUTTLE". Bx99 bus perhaps?

What's the bus#? They put "SUBWAY SHUTTLE" on them when they don't have the express bus route programmed for the bus. Happened to me one night. I was waiting for the BxM2. Local bus rolls up to my stop with that "SUBWAY SHUTTLE" sign. I had already been waiting a good 45 minutes and had complained to the (MTA) so they sent out TWO of those buses at once with that SUBWAY SHUTTLE sign. The driver pulls up and asks me where I was going. I was actually trying to waive him off! Then he asked me again and I said Riverdale. He said he was the bus I wanted. I said no, I want the BxM2. He tells me he is the BxM2, but they didn't have the signage programmed into the bus! Unreal...

Could be a Bx99 as well though since they likely don't have that programmed into the express buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Cronyism? You do know how politics works, right?

Even Bernie was gonna pull other politicians into roles if he won. 

Buttigieg dropped out well before he could've reasonably felt he had no shot (he was in third when he did so on March 1st, and it wasn't exactly a distant third).

Some bus numbered "1111" is running on the M57... anyone have any idea what that actually is? There's currently no 1111 in the system to my knowledge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156130092@N06/50726313051

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101
Added link but it isn't working?

Man, they really got their act together getting the 60 footers off. Quill already has basically only 40s on the road. 7000s running on the M14...how about that!

Also, to answer an earlier question, the loans are running on all routes. There are 7000s and 8200s on the M20 right now.

Edited by MHV9218

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Man, they really got their act together getting the 60 footers off. Quill already has basically only 40s on the road. 7000s running on the M14...how about that!

Also, to answer an earlier question, the loans are running on all routes. There are 7000s and 8200s on the M20 right now.

By 8 am, it was all 40s on the M15 and M34

27 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

By 8 am, it was all 40s on the M15 and M34

Although having said that, there are 2 XDE60s running the 14 without chains right now. I guess they figured they could make service until the afternoon and then quickly pull them off. I also saw a third XDE60 deadheading E/B along the 14, so maybe that makes 3 if that hits service.

Lots of weird stuff all over Manhattan division. MHV buses covering MCH runs, SI buses on MQ pieces, lots of movement.

6 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Although having said that, there are 2 XDE60s running the 14 without chains right now. I guess they figured they could make service until the afternoon and then quickly pull them off. I also saw a third XDE60 deadheading E/B along the 14, so maybe that makes 3 if that hits service.

They are not diesel-electric. They are fully-electric, thus XE60's.

14 hours ago, Deucey said:

Even Bernie was gonna pull other politicians into roles if he won. 

Except he likely wouldn't be pushing people like Buttigieg or Cuomo for Cabinet slots.  Buttigieg has no tangible connection (other than one campaign plank) to what he's being nominated for.  As for Cuomo, if the rumor is true, the idea of him being U.S. Attorney General makes my stomach turn.

Like 4 years ago, the progressives are being shut out by the establishment Democrats yet again.  Maybe if the DNC spent less time fighting the progressives, and more time actually fighting the Republicans, they'd have flipped the Senate.  The middle-of-the-road, '90s-era Clinton-style bullshit is not the right answer to beating the right-wing nutjobs in the GOP.  With what's going on currently,  you have to fight fire with fire.

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Except he likely wouldn't be pushing people like Buttigieg or Cuomo for Cabinet slots.

Yes he would. Just like Obama did. Just like Clinton did (with Cuomo as assistant HUD secretary then as HUD secretary as a 'thank you' for Mario Cuomo not getting on the plane to New Hampshire to register and run in '92).

Just like Trump and Bush and Bush and Reagan did. Just like Prime Ministers and opposition leaders in parliamentary systems do.

Like 4 years ago, the progressives are being shut out by the establishment Democrats yet again.

Do you really expect Biden to reward "progressives" for calling him all types of insults just because for once they showed up to stop a shit show from continuing?

Maybe if the DNC spent less time fighting the progressives, and more time actually fighting the Republicans, they'd have flipped the Senate.

Which other two of these red States that aren't Arizona and Georgia do you think would've flipped by convincing a conservative majority population to vote for a progressive:

700px-2020_Senate_election_results_map.s

Especially with a record turnout of voters that gave Donald Trump 12 million more votes than he had in 2016, and Biden 19 million more votes than Hillary Clinton. And why would you think that Biden getting the most votes in history was a missed opportunity for progressivism and not a repudiation of Trump - especially since Democrat incumbents in toss-up/marginal districts lost to Trump-aligned Republicans?

You're sounding as delusional as Trump & Co claiming he won the election despite all the evidence and legal proceedings.

The middle-of-the-road, '90s-era Clinton-style bullshit is not the right answer to beating the right-wing nutjobs in the GOP.  With what's going on currently,  you have to fight fire with fire.

I agree. That's what Kamala Harris and AOC will be doing.

But while you're rightly tripping over weak ass Schumer (in a 50/50 Senate, he'll be Majority Leader, but because Kamala will be the tiebreaker, like with Dick Cheney and Trent Lott she'll have the megaphone), and split-decision over Pelosi, what AOC & them really should be doing is fighting to get the whip positions so they can keep the rank and file in line.

But that's not something you thought of.

Instead you're upset that the TranspoSec designate "doesn't have experience in transportation" but ignore that one of the few areas he wasn't pissing Dem constituents off in - after his redevelopment and police chief firing were shown to be racially insensitive - was his Safe Streets program doing traffic calming and bike lane expansions in South Bend - which are Democrat and Progressive priorities...

It's patronage, yes, but Butti Butti Butti will be rocking everywhere in this because he's already done it at the mid-size city scale.

17 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I would have loved to catch that! I used to like them back when they were running out of QV.

I liked it better when there was an RTS running on the M60+. THAT was foamworthy.

Also, I boarded one of the Orion NG's on the B62 yesterday which had snow chains, and it sounded like the tires on the bus were going to pop off at any moment. 🤣🤣

uCWwaN5.png

Alright, what is that orange icon supposed to denote? A bus that's supposed to be at that location (which is this case, is a NB B41 at Flatlands)? Like, wtf is "estimated" supposed to mean here....

* Just looked at bustime right before I clicked the 'submit reply' button to this post... Right now, that orange icon in question is at the junction.