BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Man I rode a College Point C40LF today, 619. When I tell you those buses are SOLID....they are SOLID!! Yoo those buses are by FAR the best built and highest quality fleet of buses in the MTA fleet. 10 years old?? Feel like they're just hitting their 1 year mark

I haven't been on one in a few years, but after just riding the Q44 right before it was like night and day. I really wish the Xcelsiors were built like that...it's actually insane the difference. Idk if frame has to be built different to support the CNG tank but my goodness. I was really really impressed. I wonder if the JG buses are holding up the same. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Man I rode a College Point C40LF today, 619. When I tell you those buses are SOLID....they are SOLID!! Yoo those buses are by FAR the best built and highest quality fleet of buses in the MTA fleet. 10 years old?? Feel like they're just hitting their 1 year mark

I haven't been on one in a few years, but after just riding the Q44 right before it was like night and day. I really wish the Xcelsiors were built like that...it's actually insane the difference. Idk if frame has to be built different to support the CNG tank but my goodness. I was really really impressed. I wonder if the JG buses are holding up the same. 

I feel the same way (C40s being the best built buses in the fleet) I think structurally they are built to CTA specs and not MTA specs which may have something to do with it. 

I ride the SC C40s regularly and I have yet to ride one that rattles. 

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I feel the same way (C40s being the best built buses in the fleet) I think structurally they are built to CTA specs and not MTA specs which may have something to do with it. 

They refuse to rattle, even the WF buses. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

If the whole Hudson Pier sticker ordeal caused this, surprised to see the TA take depot sticker tampering seriously, I thought management would hear about it and say, foamers gonna foam and just shrug it off.

I would be FURIOUS if I was an MTA manager. Once you start sticking things or taking things off on my buses, I have a problem.

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They are overall solid buses to drive. You don't feel their weight much in their steering. Very light. I always make it a point to pull one out when given the choice but I'll take an XN40 here or there...

9 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I definitely agree with you! The C40LF’s are hands down my favorite fleet that the MTA has. They were build to last and I’m so happy I live right along the Q25/Q34 routes so I am spoiled with these buses lol. One thing I have noticed is that some units have a little roar to them when they accelerate now that they are older but that’s them showing their power lol. These buses were the well needed replacements for the old Orion V CNG’s which were beast in their own right. It’s hard to believe that the oldest units are already 10 years old. 

22 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Speaking of this, like 1 month ago back in mid-November I saw a M14A SBS+ #6192  with a West Farms Bus Depot sticker instead of Quill

Some kid has been playing around with the depot stickers, placing the old Hudson Pier sticker on top of the Quill sticker on buses.

9 hours ago, JAzumah said:

I would be FURIOUS if I was an MTA manager. Once you start sticking things or taking things off on my buses, I have a problem.

I'd focus on missed runs, faked covid tests, employee safety etc. before I had a fit over a paper sticker, but maybe that's why I don't have a job at 2 Bway...

19 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I'd focus on missed runs, faked covid tests, employee safety etc. before I had a fit over a paper sticker, but maybe that's why I don't have a job at 2 Bway...

You can do more than one thing at a time.

It's not what they did to the bus. It is what they COULD do to the bus. I have had my equipment damaged numerous times while on street in Manhattan and Brooklyn. You don't want anyone unauthorized touching your buses. It is a big safety issue in our industry.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I don't recall such a huge fit when all the NG's at Kingsbridge had the lettering on their corporate logo peeled off a few years ago. Maybe it's a bigger issue in Manhattan than in the Bronx because Manhattan's where all the bigwigs can see the buses themselves. With the (MTA) it's not so much "what's going on", it's more of "who catches it", if you will.

650x_55404103.jpg?updated_at=1534595361
unknown.png

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

If the whole Hudson Pier sticker ordeal caused this, surprised to see the TA take depot sticker tampering seriously, I thought management would hear about it and say, foamers gonna foam and just shrug it off.

Right? I'm kinda shocked that's what caused all this hot water. I thought it was something way worse.

5 hours ago, JAzumah said:

You can do more than one thing at a time.

It's not what they did to the bus. It is what they COULD do to the bus. I have had my equipment damaged numerous times while on street in Manhattan and Brooklyn. You don't want anyone unauthorized touching your buses. It is a big safety issue in our industry.

I mean, with the foamers, "unauthorized touching" is right. You're more at risk of those kids making out with a bus than damaging it, but I digress...

I was on bus 3193 tonight, and saw something I don't remember ever noticing before--some of the seats on the driver side had little yellow lights underneath them to illuminate the aisle. Have I somehow missed this until now? It seemed to only be on some seats. I even bent underneath to look at the lights to nake sure i wasn't imagining things lol

19 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I guess it depends on the neighborhood.

A few years ago, some smart aleck took the “Y” and the “k” off the “New York City Bus” stickers off all of Kingsbridge’s NG’s and the sky didn’t fall.

Those buses all read “New  or  City Bus” until they were either swapped out or due for their next repaint. I think it took a couple of years for KB to finally get all the bus labels corrected.

I noticed this a few years ago. I would be waiting for the express bus in the morning, and see a Bx10 or Bx7 or whatever come by and notice that each bus was like that. I said who in the hell was the idiot that thought this was cute? So stupid. 

Just now, QM1to6Ave said:

I was on bus 3193 tonight, and saw something I don't remember ever noticing before--some of the seats on the driver side had little yellow lights underneath them to illuminate the aisle. Have I somehow missed this until now? It seemed to only be on some seats. I even bent underneath to look at the lights to nake sure i wasn't imagining things lol

I don't know what the story is with that, but I've noticed this on a few express buses myself.

22 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

21 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

21 hours ago, NBTA said:

They refuse to rattle, even the WF buses. 

19 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

They are overall solid buses to drive. You don't feel their weight much in their steering. Very light. I always make it a point to pull one out when given the choice but I'll take an XN40 here or there...

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I definitely agree with you! The C40LF’s are hands down my favorite fleet that the MTA has. They were build to last and I’m so happy I live right along the Q25/Q34 routes so I am spoiled with these buses lol. One thing I have noticed is that some units have a little roar to them when they accelerate now that they are older but that’s them showing their power lol. These buses were the well needed replacements for the old Orion V CNG’s which were beast in their own right. It’s hard to believe that the oldest units are already 10 years old. 

TRUTH.  Since the O5s retired, those C40s have been the only fleet I pay attention to anymore, hands-down.  New Flyer keeping the old design around for that long is a perfect example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".