Kawasaki laying off 115 workers - destined to lose R179 contract?

ABQ RIDE

It looks like Kawasaki is laying of 115 workers due to a parts error, which has been complicated by the earthquake.

I wonder, could this mean that Kawasaki is destined to lose the R179 contract? The other two most likely candidates are either Bombardier or Alstom. I am still rooting for Bombardier.

Personally, the R179 would look nice with some blue trim on the front to pay tribute to the Blue Stripe livery, similar to the red on the R142/R142As that pay tribute to the Redbirds. Even more importantly though, why can't NYCT go with multicolor LED desination signs?

Personally, the R179 would look nice with some blue trim on the front to pay tribute to the Blue Stripe livery, similar to the red on the R142/R142As that pay tribute to the Redbirds. Even more importantly though, why can't NYCT go with multicolor LED desination signs?

I'm still with Bombardier on this one I never rooted for Kawasaki for the order.But I would like a subway car with a classic look possibly grills to remind us of the 32's.

It looks like Kawasaki is laying of 115 workers due to a parts error, which has been complicated by the earthquake.

I wonder, could this mean that Kawasaki is destined to lose the R179 contract? The other two most likely candidates are either Bombardier or Alstom. I am still rooting for Bombardier.

You forgot Siemens as a most likely candidate.

Though I prefer Bombardier over Siemens (except for the propulsion system).

It is a good question, only time will tell. I really just hope they AREN'T identical to the R-143's/R-160's.

If the R143/R160 cars were ordered to look identical,then the R179 will most likely be identical to the R143/R160 cars.

Get Budd in this contract. I want American

Cept Budd's plant is now Hyundai's South Philly plant where the Silverliner Vs are made along with a few of Hyundai's car Sonata's, Elentra's, and the Genesis coupe. It's the only Hyundai plant in America, the other one in S. Korea

Have you read the article correctly, instead of making some assumptions?

Here is the original article...

http://journalstar.com/business/local/article_8be3fe19-a19d-5dfe-8f69-94c5723806e6.html

It says the layoffs are temporary. No where does it say Kawasaki is destined to lose the R-179 contract. I don't see how this mishap would affect the R-179 contract since they haven't begun building the cars yet. Contracts of this magnitude are legally binding as well.

The only other rail car building company I know out there besides the ones people keep mentioning is Ansaldo, and I doubt they would build the R179's.

Other major ones include Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (Spain), Nippon Sharyo (Japan), and Tokyu Car (Japan). I don't see any of these companies getting the contract though, nor do I see AnsaldoBreda getting the contract due to issues with other recent contracts.

Assuming the layoffs don't affect Kawasaki's ability to meet the contract specifications, the four most likely candidates are Kawasaki, Bombardier, Alstom, and Siemens.

Here is the original article...

http://journalstar.com/business/local/article_8be3fe19-a19d-5dfe-8f69-94c5723806e6.html

It says the layoffs are temporary. No where does it say Kawasaki is destined to lose the R-179 contract. I don't see how this mishap would affect the R-179 contract since they haven't begun building the cars yet. Contracts of this magnitude are legally binding as well.

Its still possible to lose the contract if the TA see's the parts shortage as Kawasaki's Achilles heel and the inability to fill in another contract.Theres always Kobe if that facility isnt tied up with orders an parts shortages.

Its still possible to lose the contract if the TA see's the parts shortage as Kawasaki's Achilles heel and the inability to fill in another contract.Theres always Kobe if that facility isnt tied up with orders an parts shortages.

This is due to the earthquake, tsunami and other issues in Japan. MTA has acknowledge the problem with Kawasaki on twitter and other media outlet. This is just a minor setback, blown out of proportion by the OP making some accusation that he wants the R179 tp with this...instead of that.... blah, blah, blah.

Well I know I read the MTA may want to order 75-foot cars again, but I don't remember if that was in regards to the R-179's or the R-211's

Im simply just looking for improvements...like a full size destination sign (similar to that found on the cars built in the 1970's & 80's...I feel like returning to the small ones was a step backwards) Also signs who's color corresponds with what's on the signs and maps in stations makes it easier for people to identify their trains. The only red LED's should be on the 7th Ave Line. A Blue side stripe or paint scheme of some sort wouldn't kill you but I can understand from an economic point how the MTA may want to steer away from it.

But I still have hope, I thought the M-8's were going to be M-7's with red front ends and pantographs, and they actually turned out to be a significantly updated design WITH a paint scheme AND front end destination signs.

Archived