MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

37 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

As far as ENY's fleet goes, they've all been marked as OOS buses. Safe to say that they're done for good.

Good thing I caught a picture of bus 5023 before today. The picture below was from 9 days ago at Utica Avenue and Fulton St, en route to my college class at City Tech in Downtown Brooklyn.

MTA New York City Bus 1998-99 NovaBus RTS-06 5023 on the B25 at Utica Avenue and Fulton St. Taken March 22nd, 2019.

They will be missed.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Can't be true as of yet..  Don't get me wrong. Employees provide a great wealth of info.

However, ENY has 7 RTS left. There's no way all of them retired today and no additional XD40's came in yet.

So far: 7779, 7780, 7781 and now 7782 are all in house at ENY.

Looks like the FB count is at 42 RTS left.

Now I'm waiting for FB to start to experience the same situation by dropping all the left over RTS.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

shortage, perhaps

1 hour ago, T J Trainman said:

You will see.

I'm pretty sure there's a plan in place if the MTA is deciding to quickly remove the RTS out of the depots. But if it wasn't for the media this plan would have been delayed till the end of the year.

1 minute ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

So far buses are being moved around to accommodate the depots with the RTS. For  example flatbush let go 6 RTS and received 5 NG hybrid from Grand Ave.  We have depots as we speak are receiving new buses " LFS, NF". 

So I guess this will cover Flatbush’s losses, and to some extent, East New York, But I wonder what buses displaced buses Ulmer Park would get to replace their batch of RTS buses?

1 minute ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So I guess this will cover Flatbush’s losses, and to some extent, East New York, But I wonder what buses displaced buses Ulmer Park would get to replace their batch of RTS buses?

Both Ulmer Park and ENY has been receiving the all new NF. It may be slow or not a lot but you do see these buses on the road in service.

44 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

So far buses are being moved around to accommodate the depots with the RTS. For  example flatbush let go 6 RTS and received 5 NG hybrid from Grand Ave.  We have depots as we speak are receiving new buses " LFS, NF". 

I don’t understand is to why FB isn’t receiving newer XD40 since 7346-7363 went to Ulmer Park and East New York respectively. If those buses were to possibly return that would be a plus instead of receiving more NG’s to Grand Avenue and possibly other places. 

Any word to more LFSA’s to GA?  The consensus as of late is KB and West Farms are receiving the LFSA’s from FB. I know GA only has 5332 for the time being. It appears 5351 made the trip to the Bronx. 

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I don’t understand is to why FB isn’t receiving newer XD40 since 7346-7363 went to Ulmer Park and East New York respectively. If those buses were to possibly return that would be a plus instead of receiving more NG’s to Grand Avenue and possibly other places. 

Any word to more LFSA’s to GA?  The consensus as of late is KB and West Farms are receiving the LFSA’s from FB. I know GA only has 5332 for the time being. It appears 5351 made the trip to the Bronx. 

Mta wants/is forced to retire the remaining D60s with Novas. Things should be picking up with GA later on in April.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Mta wants/is forced to retire the remaining D60s with Novas. Things should be picking up with GA later on in April.

This may be happening during the Spring pick or later.

So far, that's the change for ENY Depot. 

Edited by Calvin

51 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

They don’t really have a solid plan, and at this point Ulmer has to get something. They are going to have to shift more XD40’s from somewhere to Ulmer because the next batch of buses they are slated to get are XDE40’s and those are next year. Retirement was slated for the end of the year and for about 25 to still remain in January of 2020.

Now how all of a sudden we have enough buses when we DONT even have enough for West Farms and Spring Creak is a mystery. About 30 buses short right now. 

True, during the summer we won’t need as many, but in the meanwhile, I don’t see this turning out well. 

38 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Seeing as MTA didn’t plan on retiring the RTS this early, there were no additional assignments made to include FB. Once the LFS hit the island there will be 82 NG’s to spread around where needed. Flatbush, and Manhattanville seem like the likely candidates, which could then bump a few 2015 XD’s over to Flatbush. 

Then they would just have to wait till they get XDE40’s in the future. 

GA has to train on them, service patters and route testing has to be completed. Buses aren’t just going to start flooding GA until it’s time for artic implementation. TA would rather have XD60’s at Grand anyway, so this is why they were considering artic implementation now versus SBD since they want all new SBS buses on the line. However, there is room to move some so Grand after the TA buses come back from Bus Co. 

6 minutes ago, East New York said:

They don’t really have a solid plan, and at this point Ulmer has to get something. They are going to have to shift more XD40’s from somewhere to Ulmer because the next batch of buses they are slated to get are XDE40’s and those are next year. Retirement was slated for the end of the year and for about 25 to still remain in January of 2020.

Now how all of a sudden we have enough buses when we DONT even have enough for West Farms and Spring Creak is a mystery. About 30 buses short right now. 

True, during the summer we won’t need as many, but in the meanwhile, I don’t see this turning out well. 

Seeing as MTA didn’t plan on retiring the RTS this early, there were no additional assignments made to include FB. Once the LFS hit the island there will be 82 NG’s to spread around where needed. Flatbush, and Manhattanville seem like the likely candidates, which could then bump a few 2015 XD’s over to Flatbush. 

GA has to train on them, service patters and route testing has to be completed. Buses aren’t just going to start flooding GA until it’s time for artic implementation. TA would rather have XD60’s at Grand anyway, so this is why they were considering artic implementation now versus SBD since they want all new SBS buses on the line. However, there is room to move some so Grand after the TA buses come back from Bus Co. 

With the retirement of RTS's at Flatbush and Ulmer Park do you believe it's possible that all the NG's from the Island go to Flatbush or some to Ulmer Park temporarily and have the new LFS order go to Manhattanville temporarily until 2020 just to cover shortage in Brooklyn 

7 hours ago, East New York said:

This is why I asked if Grand was going to mixed fleet. I the TA buses from bus company won’t be coming back until much later so once OH get their new XD60s I can see things moving. I know once upon a time the 4700s were supposed to come to Brooklyn but I guess that maybe be a factor since it would be easier for the bk division. Would you say the MTA is doing artic implementations on the Q58 and B38 now due to sone depots needing 40 footers? 

9 hours ago, East New York said:

I see what you are saying here and it makes sense. Appreciate the clarification with the whole FB/GA thing! 

I know this may be too early to ask. But will some of the Bronx NG’s possibly make a move to Manhattan and/or Brooklyn once their LFSA’s begin delivery. Only reason I say that is Fresh Pond has sent a good amount of their OG’s to ENY and we know how ENY wants nothing to do with the NG’s  Will Fresh Pond get some NG’s to replace some OG’s to ENY? 

9 hours ago, East New York said:

Wouldn't an ideal plan for Ulmer Park in the short term be to take XD40s 7356-7363 from EN, and 7364-7365 from Flatbush and use those 10 buses to replace the RTS buses? Those buses would join 7436-7355 and make 20 buses that could possibly retire the RTS. They could also take on more buses from Flatbush. This would last until the new hybrid order would come online. When that happens, Ulmer could get a portion of the new hybrids and send 7346-7365 back to Flatbush. This could possibly take care of the RTS retirements.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Wouldn't an ideal plan for Ulmer Park in the short term be to take XD40s 7356-7363 from EN, and 7364-7365 from Flatbush and use those 10 buses to replace the RTS buses? Those buses would join 7346-7355 and make 20 buses that could possibly retire the RTS. They could also take on more buses from Flatbush. This would last until the new hybrid order would come online. When that happens, Ulmer could get a portion of the new hybrids and send 7346-7355 back to Flatbush. This could possibly take care of the RTS retirements.

7364, 7365 are already in Flatbush. 

You mean 7346-7355 (UP)

Also, Ulmer Park is due for more XD40’s under this order. If anything those buses (2015) XD40’s shift back to Flatbush along with ENY 7356-7363.  

Ulmer doesn’t have a dire RTS situation unlike Flatbush. Once Ulmer gets new XD40’s they will be able to scrap since its bus for bus there at UP. Where as for FB they have to wait and see what is available for transfer. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

7364, 7365 are already in Flatbush. 

You mean 7346-7355 (UP)

Also, Ulmer Park is due for more XD40’s under this order. If anything those buses (2015) XD40’s shift back to Flatbush along with ENY 7356-7363.  

Ulmer doesn’t have a dire RTS situation unlike Flatbush. Once Ulmer gets new XD40’s they will be able to scrap since its bus for bus there at UP. Where as for FB they have to wait and see what is available for transfer. 

I'm a bit concerned since Ulmer Park is only slated to get 40 of the new ones, and when the original assignments came out last year, they had around 71 RTS buses. This is why I was wondering what UP would be getting besides the 40 XD40s they will get, because if they only get 40 of them, and 73xx buses ship back over to FB, then they could risk running a shortage before the summer pick comes around. 45 2011-12 New Flyer XD40 units+53 2014-15 New Flyer XD40s+40 2018-19 New Flyer XD40s=138 buses, and 138 buses would not be remotely close to providing the same service now.

21 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I'm a bit concerned since Ulmer Park is only slated to get 40 of the new ones, and when the original assignments came out last year, they had around 71 RTS buses. This is why I was wondering what UP would be getting besides the 40 XD40s they will get, because if they only get 40 of them, and 73xx buses ship back over to FB, then they could risk running a shortage before the summer pick comes around. 45 2011-12 New Flyer XD40 units+53 2014-15 New Flyer XD40s+40 2018-19 New Flyer XD40s=138 buses, and 138 buses would not be remotely close to providing the same service now.

There’s nothing to be concerned with Ulmer Park’s situation. They already have 22 newer XD40’s. All they need is 18 more. Plus Ulmer Park’s heaviest routes are the B3 and the B6. So technically they will be fine. Where as FB has 4 heavy routes.

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

There’s nothing to be concerned with Ulmer Park’s situation. They already have 22 newer XD40’s. All they need is 18 more. Plus Ulmer Park’s heaviest routes are the B3 and the B6. So technically they will be fine. Where as FB has 4 heavy routes.

The B1, and B36 as well.