R40's winding down to retirement (feel free to add photos & videos)

metsfan

As many of you know by the end of the summer one of the most visually distinguishable pieces of (MTA) rail equipment since the redbirds, the venerable R40 will be gone. I thought we could devote a thread to final run/final season photos and videos. The slanted beasties are apparently running on the (;), and this, along with possible service on the (D) and emergency stand-in on other lines will be the final lines to see the R40 slant. I have made no secret of the fact that these are by far my favorite subway cars to see and ride, so i will be doubling my efforts to capture these machines before they are gone. Also, please feel free to share your subway stories and memories here as they relate to the slants if you want.

img_81053.jpg

- Andy

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The r40 slant cars have to go. They shake a lot and make a lot of noise when going fast. I don't support having to see them being dumped because that's just wrong! I like to see them as museum trains, not reefs. The Best slant cars should run on the (F)

The r40 slant cars have to go. They shake a lot and make a lot of noise when going fast. I don't support having to see them being dumped because that's just wrong! I like to see them as museum trains, not reefs. The Best slant cars should run on the (F)

They spend a lot of money to put all those squeaks and noises & bumps in there! ;)

I agree, put a few of them on the (F), museum & recycle the rest. Maybe save at least 2 sets for stand-in service.

- Andy

I have to say, that first picture is quite heartbreaking. In fact, my first experience with a RFW was on an R40... here it is:

But I'll be sure to devote my next visit to mostly riding R40s and will capture many hours of video for the sake of remembering the good old cars.

Edit: first picture as in the first picture in the thread.

I have to say, that first picture is quite heartbreaking. In fact, my first experience with a RFW was on an R40... here it is:

But I'll be sure to devote my next visit to mostly riding R40s and will capture many hours of video for the sake of remembering the good old cars.

Are you refering to my first picture? I know the photo was a bit crumpled, but I finally got the full R40 shot.

Are you refering to my first picture? I know the photo was a bit crumpled, but I finally got the full R40 shot.

I think the tear-down photo i found is a bit more heartbreaking then seeing them in action. Sigh.

- Andy

Im really going to miss these cars i have been riding them ever since 1998. Nothing but good memories the only bad thing about them is they are kinda loud at times. But other than that they are great cars i will miss their speed and their unsmooth ride(Which is fun btw) And sometimes these cars can make your day. If you are having an bad day you can go ride on an slant and it will make you feel better. And im also going to miss their railfan windows. And those R160s aren't half as good as the slants. The R40s are better in every way.

And on a side note the slants only had ductape on them for the past year or so. They weren't held toghter with duct tape their whole lifes. And the brakes and traction motors on the slants are in great shape!!! Too bad the MTA can't rebuild the slants to be stainless steal like the R32 and R62/A.

The R40s are stainless steel except for the slant end; apparently that's fiberglass. Matter of fact everything after the R32 is mostly stainless steel.

Duct tape?

The R40s are not stainless steal. They are carbon steel which as not as good stainless steel. And not everything after the R32 is stainless steel The R33ML/WF R38 R40 R42 R44 and R46 are carbon steel.

And yes the slants are being held toghter with duct tape. That is due to servre deterioration of the car bodies from all that abuse from the 70s and 80s. The acid from the graffi cans did a lot of damage to the slants frames. And to the redbirds and R38 R42 and R44s...

here are a few photos to remember the beautiful R40 Slant...

DSCN0069.jpg

when they were still on the N...

2.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

on the D

DSCN0038.jpg

on the D but back from november

and here's when they were still on the W (my first digital pics of the 40 Slants lol)

HPIM4052.jpg

HPIM4113.jpg

i'll be getting some more pic's over the summer, especially on the B and W and also GO's where they'll show up on the D and Q

The R40s are not stainless steal. They are carbon steel which as not as good stainless steel. And not everything after the R32 is stainless steel The R33ML/WF R38 R40 R42 R44 and R46 are carbon steel.

And yes the slants are being held toghter with duct tape. That is due to servre deterioration of the car bodies from all that abuse from the 70s and 80s. The acid from the graffi cans did a lot of damage to the slants frames. And to the redbirds and R38 R42 and R44s...

All subway cars after the R32 that are currently in service are stainless steel. The carbodies are, that is. The end bonnets are generally fiberglass.

R160B8713, looks like you beat me to it. But to put out my voice:

I agree with you on the R33ML/WF. However:

From Wikipedia:

"All cars R38 and after are stainless steel."

Of course we know about the R32 being all stainless steel. They missed that.

Unless you're talking about the chassis and underbody, in which case you're right; they are carbon steel. However the car bodies are all stainless steel with the exception of the R33s and the stripe on the R44s.

Its not duct tape the official name given it is "bonding tape"...I've felt it its far more substantial than duct tape.

Its not duct tape the official name given it is "bonding tape"...I've felt it its far more substantial than duct tape.

I had an AMAZING chance to ride an R40 set today from 72nd street to brighton. I got some RFW action, some photos inside and exterior shots, and some photos & videos of 2 parked at brighton. While i was riding it, i could tell, that yes, indeed, they need to be retired. They are extremely falling apart. I interacted with a few people on my trip who were surprised that they were going to be gone. The set i rode in, the guy in the middle (dunno the official position name) of the train said that set was to be scrapped in 3 weeks. He had an interest in them and had inquired. I will post the stuff from today ASAP, but i had a long stressful day & i may not feel like uploading to hosting sites tonight.

- Andy

I had an AMAZING chance to ride an R40 set today from 72nd street to brighton. I got some RFW action, some photos inside and exterior shots, and some photos & videos of 2 parked at brighton. While i was riding it, i could tell, that yes, indeed, they need to be retired. They are extremely falling apart. I interacted with a few people on my trip who were surprised that they were going to be gone. The set i rode in, the guy in the middle (dunno the official position name) of the train said that set was to be scrapped in 3 weeks. He had an interest in them and had inquired. I will post the stuff from today ASAP, but i had a long stressful day & i may not feel like uploading to hosting sites tonight.

- Andy

That guy positioned in the middle of the train is a conductor....

That guy positioned in the middle of the train is a conductor....

So the conductor pays attention to the passengers, doors etc & the driver/operator pays attention to making the (MTA) train go and stop?

- Andy

Archived