R40's winding down to retirement (feel free to add photos & videos)

metsfan

Nice pics!! But the slants will be a rare sight in september.

Maybe one to two sets at most will be left.

Yeah. I'm really trying to plan railfanning the Brighton one last time. My next half day in school (best opportunity for railfanning) isn't until the first Wednesday in October, but maybe I can get away with railfanning later this month.

Wow, thanks for all the great photos guys!

I love the R160 seat in the R40 hahaha, they must be out of parts.

For those wanting to get your shots, i'd get them in the next 2 weeks, after august is over, the (B) will be getting newer cars and the 1-2 sets left will likely only run peak hours till they too are retired.

- Andy

I think it was an R32 seat, or R38/R42.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. I'm really trying to plan railfanning the Brighton one last time. My next half day in school (best opportunity for railfanning) isn't until the first Wednesday in October, but maybe I can get away with railfanning later this month.

I think it was an R32 seat, or R38/R42.

Ah, ok, looked the same color as the NTT seats, same shape too. :P

- Andy

• 3 weeks later...
say it aint so...the beloved legendary R40's headed for extinction...this deeply saddens me first the Fatboys break up, A Tribe Called Quest breaks up..the Mets losing to the Cardinals in '06 now this...my favorite car to ride in between on the slanted end..its a sad reality to face.

Their retirement has been halted till later in the year due to budget issues & problems w/ the newer models. They might even make it till 2009 if the NTT's keep having problems. I would imagine they would be a welcome presence during the holiday rushes coming up.

- A

Their retirement has been halted till later in the year due to budget issues & problems w/ the newer models. They might even make it till 2009 if the NTT's keep having problems.
The rest of the R40 Slants going has nothing to do with that, well, not now.

Reason why is because the MTA wants to rid something else over the R40 Slants. NTTs having problems has nothing to do with R40 Slants going at the moment. Those R160s are running great anyway right now. Look how dominant they're on the (Q) now. And this time around, its the first time the R160Bs (including the R160A-2 running around), run weekends on two lines. And look at the (J) line, and how dominant the R160A-1s are there.

Hell, R160s are still coming in like hot cakes.

R40 Slants would make it, but barely into 2009, only because the MTA wants to dump something else in front of them.

The rest of the R40 Slants going has nothing to do with that, well, not now.

Reason why is because the MTA wants to rid something else over the R40 Slants. NTTs having problems has nothing to do with R40 Slants going at the moment. Those R160s are running great anyway right now. Look how dominant they're on the (Q) now. And this time around, its the first time the R160Bs (including the R160A-2 running around), run weekends on two lines. And look at the (J) line, and how dominant the R160A-1s are there.

Hell, R160s are still coming in like hot cakes.

R40 Slants would make it, but barely into 2009, only because the MTA wants to dump something else in front of them.

True.

However, somewhat noticeable % of R160 have FIND and destination sign problems, as well as weird HVAC, door and drive system problems intermittently. Every R160 i've caught in the last 4 months had one or more of those issues. My idea was they'd rather have people fixing problems than prepping old cars for reefing. Perhaps its a combo of both.

Whatever the (MTA) has as a rationale, i'll be mighty glad to see a slant set in service on any line aside from the BoD on new year's eve. :P

- A

why dont they just consider usingthe new with the old...maybe use roll signs on the fronts and the digital on the sides ive been noticing the letter sins in front only half working...

The R-110B had just that. Roll-sign for the front route bullet and electronic side signage. Not only are they easier to spot from a distance, but they keep the colors of the route bullets which is becoming lost with the new-tech's LEDs which in most cases cannot display correct route color. It's good that side-signs are electronic since it can take awhile to change all the roll-signs in a train with a route-change, but changing one front rollsign is certainly doable.

I've heard that the red LED displays in the front were fairly cheap, so it wouldn't surprise me if the TA choose the red LED front displays over the roll-signs to save money. They seem to work pretty well though, I haven't come across any that were completely unreadable. Only once I recall seeing an R-142 with no circle around the route number. Also, don't go by how they look in photos if that's what you're talking about with the half-working LEDs. They often come out that way in photos, but the effect is not visible to the naked eye.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So sad to hear that these trains will be no more:cry:

I don't know what it is about the R40-S but they have always been my favorite ever since my childhood joy riding days. Kinda feels like when E.T. was walking up the ramp to his spaceship when he was going home.:rolleyes:

DON'T ACT LIKE I WAS THE ONLY KID IN THE MOVIE THEATER WHO WAS HOLDIN THEM TEARS BACK!!!

Archived