Are fare inspectors checking M15 +Select more than Bx12

JubaionBx12+SBS

When I ride the Bx12 +Select, which is on a regular basis, I don't see fare inspectors at all.It's been nearly a year since I've seen the last inspector on Bx12 and I ride the bus from Co-op City to Fordham. However on the M15 +Select, a friend of mine who uses it regularly told me that he does see fare inspectors on the line occasionally. This observation has allowed me to take advantage of a couple free rides. However, why would the (MTA) let people farebeat on the Bx12 and check the M15 where riders are more likely to pay?

I've ridden the M15 SBS 30+ times, only seen fare inspectors once and from what I saw they only checked to see if random people had tickets. They didn't check the time and date unless they were able to read all that information from 10 feet away in less than a second.

However, why would the let people farebeat on the Bx12 and check the M15 where riders are more likely to pay?

- one theory is, b/c the M15 SBS is "newer"...

- another theory is, M15 riders are expected to be held at a higher standard, especially with it serving a] as much of manhattan that it does & b] the infamous east side...

- another theory is, the Bx12 being a lost cause.... there's a higher chance of there being a serious incident while attempting to nab a farebeater... which means (more) police presence....

- another theory is, the level of crowding is heavier per SBS stop on the Bx12, so they don't bother... which chalks up to flat out laziness.....

- one theory is, b/c the M15 SBS is "newer"...

- another theory is, M15 riders are expected to be held at a higher standard, especially with it serving a] as much of manhattan that it does & b] the infamous east side...

- another theory is, the Bx12 being a lost cause.... there's a higher chance of there being a serious incident while attempting to nab a farebeater... which means (more) police presence....

- another theory is, the level of crowding is heavier per SBS stop on the Bx12, so they don't bother... which chalks up to flat out laziness.....

Pretty much this.

I've been checked thrice on the (M15), and never on the (Bx12). I did see some Eagle Team (what kind of name is that for inspectors? :() At the Eastchester Road stop, but they never got on to check.

However, the Bx12 Select Buses can get pretty packed during Rush Hour, so that's part of the excuse too (kinda tying in with your fourth bullet point)

Considering that the Bx12 SBS is shorter (from end-to-end), less frequent, and ends earlier/starts later than the M15, you'd think lining up inspectors wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Seeing this appearent failure to send out inspectors for the Bx12 doesn't make me hopeful for the (B44). It would not be surprising at all for it to be deemed 'a lost cause' or something after the first few months in.

I don't think the (M34) will have this problem, or at least not as severely, in part thanks to the whole 'held to a higher standard' thing you mentioned, running through Midtown and everything, as well as the M34's being the shortest of the SBS routes.

Pretty much this.

I've been checked thrice on the (M15), and never on the (Bx12). I did see some Eagle Team (what kind of name is that for inspectors? :() At the Eastchester Road stop, but they never got on to check.

However, the Bx12 Select Buses can get pretty packed during Rush Hour, so that's part of the excuse too (kinda tying in with your fourth bullet point)

Considering that the Bx12 SBS is shorter (from end-to-end), less frequent, and ends earlier/starts later than the M15, you'd think lining up inspectors wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Seeing this appearent failure to send out inspectors for the Bx12 doesn't make me hopeful for the (B44). It would not be surprising at all for it to be deemed 'a lost cause' or something after the first few months in.

I don't think the (M34) will have this problem, or at least not as severely, in part thanks to the whole 'held to a higher standard' thing you mentioned, running through Midtown and everything, as well as the M34's being the shortest of the SBS routes.

It would be in the MTA's best interest do checks during middays and weekends as that would yield the highest number of non-regular riders who sometimes don't understand the SBS system.

Ive taken the Bx12 SBS many times and I've seen inspectors twice. One time I happen to be getting off the bus when i saw the inspectors get on the bus. The other time the inspectors only checked people who got on the bus at the stop they got on and only a few of them had receipts claiming the machine wasnt working. It is a lost cause your only gonna catch a few beaters or real cops may be need.

It would be in the MTA's best interest do checks during middays and weekends as that would yield the highest number of non-regular riders who sometimes don't understand the SBS system.

That has to be the most outlandish and ridiculous comment I've heard on this board yet. I am completely against farebeating, but there is no reason why they need to be trying to target innocent riders who simply don't understand the SBS system when there are thousands of people purposely trying to beat the system every day. Those are the people that they should be targeting. :mad:

I ride the Bx12 a lot of times and I haven't seen a fare inspector since 2008 doing my check. About early last year, i did see some inspectors chilling at 207th & Broadway, tho they didnt even check anyone coming on or off the bus.

M15, about once at 72nd Street heading southbound. Tho seeing news articles and responses about the M15 having loads of inspector, then yeah i guess the M15 has more inspections compared to the Bx12.

M15, about once at 72nd Street heading southbound. Tho seeing news articles and responses about the M15 having loads of inspector, then yeah i guess the M15 has more inspections compared to the Bx12.

Do you mean 79th Street? There's no 72nd Street stop; just 79th then 67th.

Technically, it would be, but you have to consider it in fairness to the people being checked. If you truly don't understand the system, you shouldn't be fined for it.

Think about it: If you're a tourist who just came to NYC, and you're fined $100 for the +SBS+, you might say that the system isn't worth learning and decide not to use transit while you stay here.

Question:

What about the rush hour riders that consist of NYC residents that actually...

you know... know better ?

Wow, I must have bad luck. I have been on the M15 3 times, and got checked every time. I had my tickets each time, so no problem for me, but about 2 or 3 people got pulled off the bus each time. It was the exact same group of fare inspectors each time. They were curteous enough, and were pretty thorough in checking everyone's tickets.

Archived