The NYC Subway Hurricane Recovery Thread

mark1447

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im thinking its going to be like a plan 4 where they are gona store some trains underground...........im fuked tho becuase i gotta go in at 4pm sat till 8am sun.....its gona be rough getting home sunday morning...i might just stay at work..... i hope they put us 24 on this way at least i get paid till 4pm lol

Not too thrilled that one of the few times I take a plane, I'm gonna be flying right into a hurricane Monday...

This is real weird stuff though. Not sure if any of you remember Andrew, but I don't even think that warranted a full closure. Watch for hospitals to close too. It ain't the end of the world, but the overreactions are gonna make it become it.

I'm was sopposed to go on vacation (finally) on Sunday. So were going tomorrow instead.

Good news is it weakened to a Category 2 early this morning, but if the storm doesn't weaken to a 1 by the time it gets here, that'll be something else.

IMO shut down all service. Better to not have service and risk trapped or injured people than to have slow service and risk passenger safety.

Smart move. The odds are against a direct hit on the city, but if it did happen this time we’re talking potential Katrina-type flooding in parts of the city due to the combination of high tides and the storm surge. Why risk putting employees, passengers and equipment in harm’s way?

BREAKING NEWS: The New York City Subway will be shut down effective 12 noon tomorrow.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=weather&id=8324736

alll transit is going to be suspended tomorrow LIRR MNR NJT starting tomorrow bus and access a ride will not be running as well. the PA?CIS on the IRT is telling everyone this in the subways on the platforms now, its also tellinyou about the other lines that are not running

BREAKING NEWS: The New York City Subway will be shut down effective 12 noon tomorrow.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=weather&id=8324736

Where does it say 12p? And that link is for the hospitals.

Heres the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=resources/traffic&id=8326873

Tho they say evening not 12p.

I also agree with Shortline Bus.

Remember during Holiday Blizzard, some people decided to drive in eye of blizzard, only to get stuck in deep snow.

even if its not a eyewall hit we will be in its heavy rain side thats the westside of the eye and that will bring winds around 50-70mph so yea they shouldnt be running any heavy equipment like trains and or buses. AS OF 1655 WE ARE UNDER A HURRICANE WARNING,

If anybody has information as to where trains are being stored through out the system, please fill me in..

Actually i was going to raise a dumb question? How does a subway shutdown in NYC work since it takes up to 8 hours starting at 12 Noon on Saturday to send the trains to their yards. Does it mean that the last (4) uptown train for Woodlawn leaves at around 710pm from 42nd-Grand Central?:confused:

1)Also do the trains keep running in underground stations in Manhattan during the storm like during the transit strikes in recent past i.e 1980 and 2005?

2)What happens to stations like Times Sq. since they dont have gates at those busy stations?

3)Does all (MTA) personal working from T/O"s to Bus drivers get paid?

In any case, I thouroughly agree with those who say that the MTA is shutting down service primarily because of their fear of lawsuits. I mean really, it's the MTA. Nobody should be surprised, not under any circumstances.

If anybody has information as to where trains are being stored through out the system, please fill me in..
i would love too, first off the (1) will keep all trains at the yardsat the 238th street being that its above sea level, some may be put btw 138th layup. the (2) will be put btw 110th st and 96st along with the (3) the (4)(5) will have them at a few places, btw 149th st upper level btw 86th st and 125th. the (6) will do the same and btw 3rd ave and 125th st the IND will have all of there trains on the mid tracks btw 125th and 59th st im not sure for the bmt lines i know they have areas alone there lines above sea level ill get back too you

Archived