• Created
  • Last Reply

After riding all the BT&E buses, here's my Review of the 3G

Daimler Orion VII E10 "3G

63455b97.jpg

Rating: 4.7 out of 5

Pros

- Incredibly smooth ride even with the fact it has a ZF Ecolife transmission

- Has ample seating and standing space. (in fact most in the BT&E program)

- More leg room, no tight spaces for the tall.

- Bus is incredibly quiet, much quieter than the LFS which uses the same power train

- Effective LED lighting

- Smooth Braking, stops on a dime with minimal jerking

- Fast acceleration

- Thermoking HVAC, much more efficient than the Carrier HVAC

- Parts readily available (850 NG counterparts...)

- Excellent fuel consumption

- Handles large crowds

Cons-

- Rear seating arrangement has my doubts...

They are testing out different configurations to see what's best for NYC service.

@dmouse - What do you know about the fuel economy??

I heard it had the best out of 3, and according from the Altoona test but I could be wrong. You know more about this stuff than I do.

I heard it had the best out of 3, and according from the Altoona test but I could be wrong. You know more about this stuff than I do.

The bus itself does have the best Altoona record. However, the propulsion tested was ISB/BAE hybrid. Economy stats will be different for MTA's ISL/ZF buses.

Has anybody noticed when riding these buses, that if you sit in the left hand seat in the rear, you can't see outside where the American flag is placed? I noticed that when I rode on one this evening, it was all blurry, WTF.

But other than that, kool bus! :cool:

I was shocked how smooth the bus runs despite having the ZF transmission, I really hope UP is the next depot after QV, I can see them swapping UP with CAS, as the differences between the NG and 3G is probably minor from a B/O POV. In other words, they would have to do little to no training on the B/O in SI.

• 2 weeks later...

Queens Village currently with 15 buses = 7003-7004, 7006-7010, 7012-7017, 7020-7021

Ulmer Park currently with 6 buses = 7036, 7039, 7050-7051, 7053, (there is a 6th one but can't remember) ;) [can't wait!!!]

7000-7002, 7005, 7019 and 7038 still at vendor.

Queens Village currently with 15 buses = 7003-7004, 7006-7010, 7012-7017, 7020-7021

Ulmer Park currently with 6 buses = 7036, 7039, 7050-7051, 7053, (there is a 6th one but can't remember) ;) [can't wait!!!]

7000-7002, 7005, 7019 and 7038 still at vendor.

Theres 8 at ulmer park...total of 8

you named 5

#6=7031

#7=7049

#8=i dont know

Ha ya I just saw the new Orion 7 3rd or Orion 3g at xastpeton today 2 at castlton depot and 2 on ptb

Richmond Ave. I'm sorry I didn't get any picture but I will Monday . Until Monday. By the way I'm on 2135 on x10 to 3ave 57st manhattan.on the bridge between Brooklyn and Staten island. Ulmer OK depot is next

• 7000-7029: Castleton

• 7030-7059: Ulmer Park

• 7060-7089: QueensVillage

Ha ya I just saw the new Orion 7 3rd or Orion 3g at xastpeton today 2 at castlton depot and 2 on ptb

Richmond Ave. I'm sorry I didn't get any picture but I will Monday . Until Monday. By the way I'm on 2135 on x10 to 3ave 57st manhattan.on the bridge between Brooklyn and Staten island. Ulmer OK depot is next

• 7000-7029: Castleton

• 7060-7089: QueensVillage

The new assignment is

• 7000-7029: Queens Village

• 7060-7089: Castleton

The bus itself does have the best Altoona record. However, the propulsion tested was ISB/BAE hybrid. Economy stats will be different for MTA's ISL/ZF buses.

I am just happy Orion had finally made a modern looking bus with NG/3G's. In particular Foothill Transit's Orion V's and LACMTA's contracted Orion VI's have done quite well, but I've never been fond of them because they were just hideous to look at. I said hallelujah when they finally got rid of that hideous angled driver-side front windshield that has been a horrible signature of the Orion series. Whoever designed that windshield design should shoot themselves.

The NG/3G's are sexy through. It would be nice if the windows matched the height of doors or vice versa though. They are even sexier in +SBS+ livery on the M34/A.

Sad to here about the Xcelsior. Kind of not surprised though. It's design which makes it the sexiest bus on road is probably what caused it's troubles. Unlike C40LFR, the XD looks like it was completely redesigned thus is not built or based on a proven core design.(Where as the C40LFR is just a regular C40LF with new front and rear mold)

I am just happy Orion had finally made a modern looking bus with NG/3G's. In particular Foothill Transit's Orion V's and LACMTA's contracted Orion VI's have done quite well, but I've never been fond of them because they were just hideous to look at. I said hallelujah when they finally got rid of that hideous angled driver-side front windshield that has been a horrible signature of the Orion series. Whoever designed that windshield design should shoot themselves.

The NG/3G's are sexy through. It would be nice if the windows matched the height of doors or vice versa though. They are even sexier in +SBS+ livery on the M34/A.

Sad to here about the Xcelsior. Kind of not surprised though. It's design which makes it the sexiest bus on road is probably what caused it's troubles. Unlike C40LFR, the XD looks like it was completely redesigned thus is not built or based on a proven core design.(Where as the C40LFR is just a regular C40LF with new front and rear mold)

The rear doors on the NG are window height. I like the design on the 3G better though. I think they look much better than if they went all the way up to the top of the windows.

As far as the Xcelsior goes, its a beautiful bus with a great ride, but it has some issues that New Flyer should have addressed by now. They rushed the bus in my opinion, and its starting to show all over North America.

Archived