Subway - What If?

VWM

I've mentioned Essex as a terminal before (here and elsewhere) and I've gotten mentions about how that station is no longer suited to be a terminal.

While in my scenario I do have four lines between Broadway-Lafayette and West 4th, do keep in mind I only have half of the (A) line (Lefferts branch) running through there, while the (J) I have going through there to replace the (C) Obviously, delays would be expected, especially when you have to work around TWO problems at once

What it really shows is what happens when you have a double whammy like this scenario happens and you try to keep as much service overall as possible.

Remember, though, you're putting about 39-40 TPH onto one track.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEXT:

The Manhattan Bridge fails, and the lower level has a hole ripped apart in it, crippling (B)(D)(N)(Q) service. however, under the strangest of strange circumstances, the upper level survives and is passable by vehicles. Reroute the (B)(D)(N)(Q), and keep in mind vehicles can still travel on the upper level.

Ok...

(N) and (Q) trains run via tunnel. (B) trains run via Broadway Line to 34th Street, and run via 6th Avenue line 34th Street-205th Street or Bedford Park Blvd, combined w/the (D). (D) trains run w/ (B) trains as mentioned. Brooklyn (D) trains terminate at Atlantic Avenue.

Shuttle buses operate between Bowery (J)(Z) station and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center to help replace Sixth Avenue bridge service.

NEXT:

The Manhattan Bridge fails, and the lower level has a hole ripped apart in it, crippling (B)(D)(N)(Q) service. however, under the strangest of strange circumstances, the upper level survives and is passable by vehicles. Reroute the (B)(D)(N)(Q), and keep in mind vehicles can still travel on the upper level.

(B) 2 Av to Bedford Park Blvd (6 Av Express/CPW/Grand CC Local)

(D) Coney Island to 205 St (Culver/PS/Viaduct/6 Av/CPW/Grand CC Express)

(N) Astoria Ditmars to Coney Island (Astoria/Broadway/4 Av/Sea Beach Local)

(Q) Astoria Ditmars to Coney Island (Astoria/West End Local/Broadway/4 Av Express)

(S) Atlantic Av to Coney Island (Brighton Local)

NOTE

(J) [RUSH HOUR] Trains run 4 Av Express/West End Local to Bay Parkway/Coney Island

(Q) [RUSH HOUR] Trains run West End Express between 9 Av and Coney Island

(N)(R) [sOUTHBOUND SELECT] Trains may turn at Whitehall St

(S) [RUSH HOUR SELECT] Trains run Brighton Express between Prospect Park and Ocean Pkwy

Trains can't terminate at Atlantic Avenue, the switch was removed.

I guess you have never seen the (Q) trains when they go to Atlantic Av. Smh. I will explain.

(Q) trains, (S) in this case, will switch to the required track while entering Prospect Park. Some will wrong rail going into Atlantic Av, some will wrong rail going out. Trains can terminate at Prospect Park to reduce clogging.

NEXT:

(B) No service b/w West 4 Street & Brooklyn.

(D) Two sections:

The Bronx to West 4 Street.

Times Square-42 Street to Brooklyn via Broadway Express.

(N)(Q) Via Tunnel.

TPH:

Rush Hour:

(N)(Q)(R): 8 TPH

(D) 6 TPH

Total = 30TPH

Noon:

(D)(N)(Q)(R): 8 TPH each = 24 TPH

I guess you have never seen the (Q) trains when they go to Atlantic Av. Smh. I will explain.

(Q) trains, (S) in this case, will switch to the required track while entering Prospect Park. Some will wrong rail going into Atlantic Av, some will wrong rail going out. Trains can terminate at Prospect Park to reduce clogging.

I get you now. Thanks for telling me.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

When that happens they run every 15 minutes if both tracks are in use. That's nowhere near enough to replace the (B)(Q).

My solution to the Manhattan Bridge problem:

(B) No trains between 34 St and Brighton Beach.

(D) Trains run in two sections: 205 St to 34 St and 34 St to Coney Island via Broadway and tunnel.

(N) No trains between Atlantic Av/Barclays and Astoria-Ditmars.

(Q) Trains run via the tunnel and Broadway Local at 15 tph.

(R) Selected northbound trains terminate at Atlantic Av.

NEXT

The Clark St tube is impassable. In addition, Fulton St (4)(5) is impassable.

Reroute: (2)(3)(4)(5)

Duration: 2 years

If you suspend the (Q), what's going to replace it on the Brighton line

The (B), which runs full time Coney Island-145th Street and normal rush hours. This also during overnights if this is prolonged allows the (A) to temporarily run express.

Other options are the (Q) borrows cars from the (M) and runs Essex or Chambers-Coney Island OR the (M) is temporarily re-routed to Coney Island to replace the (Q) in Brooklyn.

Edited by Wallyhorse

NEXT

The Clark St tube is impassable. In addition, Fulton St (4)(5) is impassable.

Reroute: (2)(3)(4)(5)

Duration: 2 years

(2)(3) No service b/w Wall Street (7th Avenue) & Wall Street (Lex. Av)

(4)(5) No service b/w Brooklyn Bridge & Brookyln. Select trains terminate at Grand Central-42 Street.

Next: There is a failure on the track the (G) uses to terminate at Court Square, no trains can run on it. Currently, there a switch problems at 71st Avenue, causing (R) and (M) trains to run to Jamaica-179th via Hillside Avenue local. (F) trains are running Hillside Avenue express. (F) trains run on the express track so they skip Van Wyck Blvd and 75th Avenue. Reroute the (G) and other lines if necessary. Also (R) trains are running 18tph.

Edited by Quill Depot

Next: There is a failure on the track the (G) uses to terminate at Court Square, no trains can run on it. Currently, there a switch problems at 71st Avenue, causing (R) and (M) trains to run to Jamaica-179th via Hillside Avenue local. (F) trains are running Hillside Avenue express. (F) trains run on the express track so they skip Van Wyck Blvd and 75th Avenue. Reroute the (G) and other lines if necessary. Also (R) trains are running 18tph.

(G) No service b/w Greenpoint Avenue & Court Square, use free shuttle bus.

Don't even think about extending the (G) to Jamaica Center or 179 Street.

NEXT:

That's just this: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/30996-subway-what-if/page__st__2400?do=findComment&comment=581248

And since you specified the upper level roadway still being usable, then we would add a lot of bus service across. I think one plan called for B99 from Atlantic (now, Barclay's Center) to City Hall. Perhaps also to Bway Laf, or W4 if you extend the (B) and (D) there.

I have another try in this good thread........

14th Street - Union Square station is closed for rehabilitation, along with Lexington Avenue / 59th Street.

Reroute the (4)(5)(6)<6>(L)(N)(Q)(R) trains.

If it is impassible:

(4) trains run from Woodlawn to 125th Street. No (4) service 125th Street. Street to Utica Avenue.

(5) trains run 7tph via 7th Avenue/Broadway.

(6) trains run 10tph from 3rd Avenue to Pelham Bay Park. Shuttle buses run to 138th Street, Grand Concourse from there.

No <6> service.

(L) trains terminate at 3rd Avenue.

(N) trains run in two sections, Ditmars Blvd to Queensboro Plaza and Whitehall Street to Coney Island via 4th Avenue Local.

(Q) trains suspended.

(R) trains run via 63rd Street, 6th Avenue Express and Bridge.

(J) trains run Brighton Local to Coney Island via Montague.

Edited by Quill Depot

I have another try in this good thread........

14th Street - Union Square station is closed for rehabilitation, along with Lexington Avenue / 59th Street.

Reroute the (4)(5)(6)<6>(L)(N)(Q)(R) trains.

(L) No service b/w 8 Avenue & 3 Avenue.

(N) No service b/w Canal Street and Queensboro Plaza.

(Q) Via 6th Avenue Express to 57 Street/6 Avenue.

(R) Via Bridge - 6th Avenue Local - 63 Street.

(4) No service b/w Brooklyn Bridge & 86 Street.

(5) No service b/w East 180 Street & Brooklyn.

(6)<6> No service b/w 86 Street & Brookyln Bridge.

(L) No service b/w 8 Avenue & 3 Avenue.

(N) No service b/w Canal Street and Queensboro Plaza.

(Q) Via 6th Avenue Express to 57 Street/6 Avenue.

(R) Via Bridge - 6th Avenue Local - 63 Street.

(4) No service b/w Brooklyn Bridge & 86 Street.

(5) No service b/w East 180 Street & Brooklyn.

(6)<6> No service b/w 86 Street & Brookyln Bridge.

A few questions, how does 40tph run over the 6th Avenue side of the bridge?

How do (Q) trains terminate at 57th Street if the (F) runs through it.

NEXT:

The 8th Avenue line is closed for improvements between 14th Street and 42nd Street-PABT. Reroute the (A)(C) and (E) trains. Make service increments and cuts if necessary.

Duration: 5 years

NEXT:

The 8th Avenue line is closed for improvements between 14th Street and 42nd Street-PABT. Reroute the (A)(C) and (E) trains. Make service increments and cuts if necessary.

(1) Free up the other side of Lex/63; otherwise suspend (B) and send (Q) to 145. This is a bit extreme, but it might alleviate that bottleneck.

Solution:

(A) Two sections: 207 - 59; Canal to Brooklyn

(C) via (B) to Brighton Beach (CPW, 6av Express, Bridge, Brighton), (B) suspended

(E) via (F), switch at West 4th Street.

Shuttles along 8th Avenue (or use make M20 run all night).

NEXT:

(Q)(R) Select trains terminate at Canal Street and Whitehall Street.

The (Q) uses the other side, as he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-Rush

(A)(C) Via 6th Avenue Local. Select (A) trains run via 6th Avenue Express.

(E) Via 6th Avenue Express.

Rush

(A) Via 6th Avenue Local.

(C) No service b/w 168 Street & Chambers Street.

(E) Via 6th Avenue Express. (12TPH).

(M) Most trains terminate at Chambers Street.

NEXT: Due to a wall collapse, 53 Street between 6th 1/2 Avenue & 9th Avenue is impassible.

Affected: (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(1)(2)(3)

BONUS: Reroute the buses too!

Affected: M7 SB, M11 NB, M20, M104

(A)(C) Run in two sections

14 Street - Brooklyn

59 Street - Upper Manhattan

At 59 Street, the (C) uses the eastern platform and the (A) the western one

(B) Suspended

(D) runs to Jamaica Center via 53 Street and QBL Express

(E) Suspended

(G) Extended to Forest Hills

(N) runs in 2 sections:

Astoria - Lexington Ave