Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

When are they gonna call.... I'm having a damn impatient anxiety attack over here. I know my whiz results should be back already since I took it on the 28th. I know patience is a virtue but being so close to my dream career is eating me up. I saw in an earlier post that there should be a class going into school car October 22nd. Would anybody with experience know if they would wait til a day or two before the class starts or would they give us enough time to give our current jobs 2 week notice?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO yeah, he proved my point too. They couldnt ask to see his old EKGs, thats why they had to give him a new one! Reading comprehension wins the day again

From what i heard they didnt ask him for his Old EKG's..

Opps...

The moral of my post was basically Good Luck taking the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to Court and Winning when it comes to how they hire folks (unless its kinda blatant in their wrong doing).

Can anybody figure out why i made that word in Bold??

Edited by RTOMan

If you think that its unreasonable and too much information to submit your medical and criminal background information when thousands of lives are in your hands every day doing this job, then this job isnt for you. Go somewhere else where they dont care if your fat ass has a heart attack on the job.

I don't think the issue is whether or not they should be looking into medical history, it's whether or not they are. And whether they are an AUTHORITY (final word in all things mass transit in NYC) or not, they are not above federal law, (HIPAA) and if they want access to medical history, the propper releases must be signed. According to previous posts they didn't ask anyone to sign a HIPAA release. Maybe they do, I don't know, I just haven't read anything yet that says they do.

I don't think the issue is whether or not they should be looking into medical history, it's whether or not they are. And whether they are an AUTHORITY (final word in all things mass transit in NYC) or not, they are not above federal law, (HIPAA) and if they want access to medical history, the propper releases must be signed. According to previous posts they didn't ask anyone to sign a HIPAA release. Maybe they do, I don't know, I just haven't read anything yet that says they do.

Look at it this way if you are put on Medical Hold during your screening they are going to want to know why that means your doctor has to give them a reason why they shouldn't. Now that being said if you got pressure problems Sugar problems or heart problems you think your doctor is going to Lie to them and say you dont? When his /her tests may show the same thing?

Edited by RTOMan

Look at it this way if you are put on Medical Hold during your screening they are going to want to know why that means your doctor has to give them a reason why they shouldn't. Now that being said if you got pressure problems Sugar problems or heart problems you think your doctor is going to Lie to them and say you dont? When his /her tests may show the same thing?

No, of course not. I think there are 2 different discussions going on here.

1st, SHOULD the MTA "ABLE" to see your medical history

2nd, IS the MTA "ALLOWED" to see your medical history

My opinion;

Of course they should be able to see your history. What if you have a history of seizures or black outs and you leave that off your application because you really need the job? 2 yrs down the line, you have a blackout while operating a train and the next day your picture is on the front page of the NY Post saying "56 dead, 100's injured: MTA put this person in control of your life, did they know he had a history of seizures?"

Reality;

They are only allowed access to your medical history if you sign a HIPAA release, specificaly saying you allow them to obtain your medical history. No one has said they signed a HIPAA release.

OK, now that I have writer's cramp after filling out the 21-page questionnaire (plus 12 pages extra work history...don't ask, I will answer some questions.

Hey meddicjh,regarding ss work history, why get all 16 years? I would guess that you know off hand your most recent years. I went to ss.gov with the idea of requesting a 23 year, and it dawned on me that i am well aware about the last 22. You may have your reasons just giving you a heads up. And to make others aware.

P.S. I was the guy at whiz quiz who kept trying to put my form through the non existent slit. Peace and hope to be working with you soon.

The packet says all jobs from high school, so that's why I went to SS. Also, I was an EMS whore in my younger medic days, working multiple jobs.

hi all...does anyone know how long is the schoolcar training and what is the highest level of difficulty?

The search function is your friend. It's been posted NUMEROUS times in NUMEROUS places on this forum.

HI Mediccjh: did you have to bring specific documents for the "whiz quiz"? If so what were they? Could you share the title of the multi-page booklet so I can search the web for it or for a similar pre-employment booklet? thanks for your time. Good Luck - bc0v9g9

Bring what is listed on the letter you receive.

As far as the HIPAA War going on here:

Face it, the MTA is going to research EVERYTHING about you. Don't lie. Simple as that. That's why I spent the money to get my Employment History.

Now, I hurry up and wait for the phone call.

They are only allowed access to your medical history if you sign a HIPAA release, specificaly saying you allow them to obtain your medical history. No one has said they signed a HIPAA release.

I see...

The background check also includes the release of past medical records. When you get your 21 page booklet read the release form you will have to sign..

^^^So what is that this poster is talking about?^^^

So if the background check really does includes access to your medical history, if you lie/omit something from your medical history (for example, if someone said during the TA physical that they didn't have sleep apnea, but a medical record check reveals a past diagnosis of sleep apnea), would someone also be terminated just like if you lied/omitted something about your criminal/job history?

I see...

^^^So what is that this poster is talking about?^^^

I wrote that. It is an information release form. It also states on it that for military veterans it will also include the release of our military medical records. I don't know why you guys are making a big deal anyway. Is thier something in your medical records that can disqualify you????

Someone said its a general information release form. But if they ask for your medical records it has to specificially state that. It appears that it doesnt specifically ask for that

It could be though right? I know some folks who are going in for medicals ill ask them...

I have a sealed conviction from when I was 17 and I did not put it down on my pre employment packet that I handed in nor did I put it down on the 21 page booklet. But it clearly states that you DO NOT have to list sealed or dismissed convictions so I didn't. I'm still worried they might say something if it pops up. I'll just use their own for as proof where it clearly states in Capitol letters that I DO NOT have to list sealed convictions. Will I still be DQ'ed?

I think I'm actually stunned to see this ball moving. I guess it still feels like I'm dreaming. But congrats to those on their way in. With any luck I'll see ya there when its my turn. I personally never have an issue releasing my medical records. I never seem to have anything other than cold/flu & I'm due for a check up soon anyway. Never had a surgery and other than some psychological counseling as a teen I'm pretty solid healthy.

does any1 know what # they r up to? did they reached 1000 ? automated system said i am on an outstanding cert ( #1500's)

From what it seems from this forum, they have invited about between list #'s 1- 200 to go down to 180 Livingston for pre employment. Not 100% on that, just from what I can tell from a couple of forums.

Sorry for beating a dead horse but I hope this is a more concrete answer for everyone in regards to what you are signing away in that 20+ page application (provided nothing has changed) :

"Authorization for Release of Information (Page 19)

All applicants are required to sign the Authorization for Release of Information. The

release is used for investigation purposes when requesting information regarding

education, employment, or other background information relevant to your

qualifications for employment. The release is also used to request medical records

from the Military for confirmation of claims made by an applicant for Disabled

Veteran's Preference Credit."

The only outright reference to medical records is in regards to veteran's credits, and even then the medical records are coming from the military. Hope this clears things up.

Source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/careers/downloads/pdf/db_app_guidelines.pdf

Source to verify proper form: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26877-questions-about-nyct-busmta-bus-training/page__st__160 post #179 by "MaBSTOARTS", 2/25/12.

The promotional list for Train Operator has been exhausted. We are hiring 40 T/Os on 10/22; 40 T/Os on 11/12 and 40 T/Os on 12/3. they have to be coming from somewhere. Therefore, the open-competitive list has not been terminated. The people at the top of the list should be getting called for medicals any day now. Along with this , we are also hiring 10 C/Rs on 9/24; 20 C/Rs on 10/8; 20 C/Rs on 11/12; 20 C/Rs on 12/3; 12 ATDs on 10/1 and 10 TSSs on 10/1. Divisions will be announced for all hourly positions on the Tuesday AFTER hiring. This will be the only time I will put this out, so if you need to know, copy this post to somewhere you can find it. You may now all go back to your rumor-mongering.

RIGHT out of the Schoolcar Horses Mouth!

So just to clarify, will the people who was called down for the drug test get the call back to come down for full medical and swearing in on 10/22? Or is 10/22 the day the new school car class starts?

So just to clarify, will the people who was called down for the drug test get the call back to come down for full medical and swearing in on 10/22? Or is 10/22 the day the new school car class starts?

10/22 is the day the class is scheduled to start.

10/22 is the day the class is scheduled to start.

Now I'm a bit worried. I'm hoping if I get hired for the October class. I would have been able to at least put in a 2 weeks notice with my current employer. That's only about 2 weeks away. I am still waiting for a call back to do the medical/final processing.

Now I'm a bit worried. I'm hoping if I get hired for the October class. I would have been able to at least put in a 2 weeks notice with my current employer. That's only about 2 weeks away. I am still waiting for a call back to do the medical/final processing.

It's Civil Service. If you get 2 weeks, you'll be lucky.

Go somewhere else where they dont care if your fat ass has a heart attack on the job.

I knew you couldn't resist being yourself Messino. Now I wonder when you will make a racist remark since you can't help yourself.

Edited by frefre