Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SMH...where in the hell did you read that... sucks for you if you recieve minimum wage in your first paycheck. You will need to call wage adjustment at Livingston St... You guys spread the most ridiculous rumors on here

I got mini wage my 1st week when i started...

I came off The Open Competitive List just like most folks here have...

They pay minimum wage during the first week ONLY. #1 it's because they need to get a million people to come down and talk to you and your pay goes towards paying for their taxis (if you think HR folk ride the train then you are dumb) and #2 because a good number of new hirees storm out once they find out that they have to work midnights or once they see the third rail jumper cable video and they still gotta get paid for their time, so the TA doesn't waste full pay on quitters.

If you get a perfect 100 on the final exam, you will receive back pay for the first week to get you up to the $30.

DONE...

Hey Everyone......finally got my letter to come in tomorrow.....I wanted to post my info as well as inform everyone thats waiting what they all want to know......this forum has been very helpful and fun to read since pain-staking wait was underway since the test was take over three years ago, lol......here is my info.....

My list is #486

Received letter past Friday to go to Brooklyn for what reads like a hearing and possible vision test? No mention of drug test but after all i have read i will assume its happening tomorrow, 12/12/12....7:30 am in business casual attire. Was also told that i obviously wont make the december school car but can possibly make one in january as per the nice lady who picked up the phone when i called the number on the letter.

I could not find my social security card but requested a new one at the ss office....theyre everywhere.....its free and you just need to bring ur licence to get one. It will take two weeks but ask them for the form showing you requested it and you will be good for mta when you go. They told me not to worry about a hs diploma so i wont bring it....(i hope she was right as i couldnt find mine).

I hope all my info helps everyone. It always suprised me how everyone took steps in the process and never identified what list # they were.....probably the most important info for everyone else on here.....

I have a few questions for everyone if i may .....

Im assuming if you wear glasses that wont go against you? correct?

If i paid a ticket for smoking a cigarette on a subway about 25-27 years ago do i have to check yes on question #2 ?

if i do check yes....what do i need to do if i dont remember the details?

does anyone know right now what is the highest list # that made it to the last school car scheduled which is next week?

is it 40 pwer school car class? if so and im guessing apporximately 250-275 was the last # called for this schoolcar......whats the best guess on when my list #486 will get in? Just trying to schedule my life that will be turned upside down now, lol.

And finally.......what can i expect as far as a schedule for schoolcar? evenings? weekends? rotating times?

Anything anyone can provide to help with my questions would be greatly appreciated !!!

I will certainly provide step by step details on everything i will go through going forward....good luck to all !!!

Get that HS Diploma ! If you don't bring it with you on the first visit, you'll absolutley need at the return trip for medical and final processing. I know cause it happened to me. When I went in for the drug test I didn't have it , I said I graduated over 30 years ago. They told me that I need to have it when I come back . I went right to my old HS and ordered a new one and I received it before I was called for medical .

I don't know if you guys are really serious or just deliberatly misleading people but you DO NOT GET PAID MINIMUM WAGE AT ALL. That was an old practice. I have been paid the full pay rate, 30.0375, since day one of school car. This minmum wage rumor is false. And don't worry about no damn third rail jumper cable. That's the least of your worries. Memorizing signal definitions word for word and making good station stops is what will make or break you. Trust me.

I don't know if you guys are really serious or just deliberatly misleading people but you DO NOT GET PAID MINIMUM WAGE AT ALL. That was an old practice. I have been paid the full pay rate, 30.0375, since day one of school car. This minmum wage rumor is false. And don't worry about no damn third rail jumper cable. That's the least of your worries. Memorizing signal definitions word for word and making good station stops is what will make or break you. Trust me.

You keep thinking that if its known you cant work those cables yer gonna get through Schoolcar you are def dreaming.. How should they trust you if you havent done it yourself?

If "break you" means not getting the job, it sounds like everything will break you. 3rd rail jumper, overrunning the station, not scoring 100 on the signals test. This is why they need 11,000 applicants to only fill a few hundred positions

You think they want somebody down here who cant grasp something as basic as signals or procedures with thousands of peoples lives at stake? Once you get it though it gets easier doing the same thing in training over and over and over and over helps trust one who went through it from off the street! :) Edited by RTOMan

I don't work for MTA yet - and even I know that no employer will pay a person $30+ an hour for an easy job. If we all go into Schoolcar with an open-mind, mouth full of questions, willingness to learn and a humble disposition we should all be fine. If you're not willing or don't posses those qualities - step aside now so you don't waste your time or the TA's. Good luck all and keep checking your mailbox ( I know I am - haha!!)

With that said - my list # is close to 600 and still no letter. :-(

Hey Everyone......finally got my letter to come in tomorrow.....I wanted to post my info as well as inform everyone thats waiting what they all want to know......this forum has been very helpful and fun to read since pain-staking wait was underway since the test was take over three years ago, lol......here is my info.....

My list is #486

Received letter past Friday to go to Brooklyn for what reads like a hearing and possible vision test? No mention of drug test but after all i have read i will assume its happening tomorrow, 12/12/12....7:30 am in business casual attire. Was also told that i obviously wont make the december school car but can possibly make one in january as per the nice lady who picked up the phone when i called the number on the letter.

I could not find my social security card but requested a new one at the ss office....theyre everywhere.....its free and you just need to bring ur licence to get one. It will take two weeks but ask them for the form showing you requested it and you will be good for mta when you go. They told me not to worry about a hs diploma so i wont bring it....(i hope she was right as i couldnt find mine).

I hope all my info helps everyone. It always suprised me how everyone took steps in the process and never identified what list # they were.....probably the most important info for everyone else on here.....

I have a few questions for everyone if i may .....

Im assuming if you wear glasses that wont go against you? correct?

If i paid a ticket for smoking a cigarette on a subway about 25-27 years ago do i have to check yes on question #2 ?

if i do check yes....what do i need to do if i dont remember the details?

does anyone know right now what is the highest list # that made it to the last school car scheduled which is next week?

is it 40 pwer school car class? if so and im guessing apporximately 250-275 was the last # called for this schoolcar......whats the best guess on when my list #486 will get in? Just trying to schedule my life that will be turned upside down now, lol.

And finally.......what can i expect as far as a schedule for schoolcar? evenings? weekends? rotating times?

Anything anyone can provide to help with my questions would be greatly appreciated !!!

I will certainly provide step by step details on everything i will go through going forward....good luck to all !!!

Just a follow up......the woman told me not to worry about bringing in my hs diploma.....turns out, i will need it when im called back......from what the last woman i saw at the front desk where i handed in my paperwork, "you will be called in as little as 6 days to take the medical......they seemed to think everything is moving along fairly quickly........can anyone confirm what the highest list number in schoolcar now is?

Just a follow up......the woman told me not to worry about bringing in my hs diploma.....turns out, i will need it when im called back......from what the last woman i saw at the front desk where i handed in my paperwork, "you will be called in as little as 6 days to take the medical......they seemed to think everything is moving along fairly quickly........can anyone confirm what the highest list number in schoolcar now is?

I went in on the 5th for preemployment and drug test. No calls yet.

You keep thinking that if its known you cant work those cables yer gonna get through Schoolcar you are def dreaming.. How should they trust you if you havent done it yourself?

I'm not saying the jumper cable procedure isn't important. If you follow the procedure properly and do what ur supposed to do you will be fine with the jumper cable. You study signals in class and practice station stops like ur life depended on it, but you train and qualify with the jumper cable in one training day. So which do you think takes precedence. All of it is important, definetly. And the wrong move with the jumper cable can mean ur LIFE being taken away literally so I'm not trying to belittle it. I'm just saying that there are other things that will take up your time and will be drilled to you. Time flies, already almost half way through school car and have midterms coming up so even though the course may seem like a long course it really isn't. Majority of it is posting on the road and in yards so if you aren't applying yourself at home with ur signals and manual on your own time you won't make it. That's why I emphasize those 2 main categories. Good luck to you all trying to get on. You have to want this job in ur heart, not just for the paycheck in order to pass school car. As my TSS said, its not like the old days, They are not playing anymore.

it funny how people who came of the street that is in school car now think they are in a position to give advice to other people who is coming from the street the only thing you can give advice about is what you have done to get into school car because when you hit the road (if you make it through school car and i hope you do) you will see how life is after school car they can teach everything they want too but you wont know how it is really done until you are out on your own so stop giving advice and put a little more concertration into what they are teaching you in school car and stop worrying about what pther people who are currently T/O are saying on here!!! as they say know your job!!!

ALL of the things you'll do in schoolcar are important. You may not ever need them again, but you might, and if you remember your training it may solve you a problem, save your interval and your lunch break, may save you a disciplinary hearing someday, may save you a reinstruction, and may even save you a DAN.

Go in with an open mind and try to learn everything you can. You should look at schoolcar as a challenge to learn everything you can as early as you can since it's a "safe" environment and if you mess up, it's in a controlled environment with supervision ready to protect you, and no customers.

Don't shy away from challenges or new/old things - learn everything you can. When you're learning your division, pay attention to the stops as you ride to and from work, and notice things like where the train stops, transfer points, station names, and how fast the train is going in certain areas. ALL of these things will help you - it may not be today, but it could someday.

Don't be one of the ones who comes in just to collect a paycheck and "if I don't need to know, don't tell me I'm not interested" because it WILL bite you someday and you'll be wishing you listened. Those are often the ones who go out and have incidents because they find themselves uncomfortable on their own or unfamiliar with something that is very much a part of their job.

Ask questions, but not too many. Your instructors will go over just about everything important with you, but you may need clarification on something - ask! But stick to your job. When your instructor shows you the tower, don't get hung up about how the machine works, or what the job of the dispatcher is. When you are introduced to the train, learn the locations of key components on it and key procedures - don't get too hung up on how it works, how to fix it, etc. as those are the jobs of the car inspector. But learn the responsibilities of a train operator (or conductor, if applicable) and stick to it, that's your bread and butter, and know it ALL. If that means jumpers, that means jumpers. If that means other than headcar operation, that means that too. Don't worry about whether or not a TSS will be there to help you when it happens for real - maybe there will be, maybe there won't, but you still must know the procedure. Same goes for troubleshooting - learn it too. Brake pipe rupture practical is extremely important, and shows you know the equipment. But you can end up with a runaway motor too, and you'd better know how to kill the power. Don't become a legend around here that does something incredibly retarded and winds up with an IOD because you did a procedure incorrectly (COUGH ...just pull the knife switch right? :D COUGH)

And pay attention to the locations of things. Particularly for open competitive people who aren't familiar with the layout of things down in NYCT land...once you've been shown a location, remember it...write it down if you need to. You are now "qualified" to report to that location and can be expected to do so on your own. Don't be that person who shows up late to work and gets written up because you went to the station 20 minutes before your reporting time and couldn't find the dispatcher's office, or the tower in the yard. Once you're on your own, nobody's going to hold your hand. You may get a TSS for your first trip, but that's it. Conductors are responsible for the safety of the train, the customers, and the general well-being of the equipment entrusted to them, and Train Operators are responsible for the safe movement of the train from terminal to terminal and all associated people (track workers, customers, etc.) Once you're on your own, the buck stops with you and your partner...so know your job, and do it.

Schoolcar's the time to learn, not when it's too late and you're already on your own, or not after you've failed a key test in schoolcar and are trying to get your old job back, and wondering when the next test is.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I'm not saying the jumper cable procedure isn't important. If you follow the procedure properly and do what ur supposed to do you will be fine with the jumper cable. You study signals in class and practice station stops like ur life depended on it, but you train and qualify with the jumper cable in one training day. So which do you think takes precedence. All of it is important, definetly. And the wrong move with the jumper cable can mean ur LIFE being taken away literally so I'm not trying to belittle it. I'm just saying that there are other things that will take up your time and will be drilled to you. Time flies, already almost half way through school car and have midterms coming up so even though the course may seem like a long course it really isn't. Majority of it is posting on the road and in yards so if you aren't applying yourself at home with ur signals and manual on your own time you won't make it. That's why I emphasize those 2 main categories. Good luck to you all trying to get on. You have to want this job in ur heart, not just for the paycheck in order to pass school car. As my TSS said, its not like the old days, They are not playing anymore.

Train Operator for 12 years Open Competitive you are saying these things to the wrong person...

Been there Done it...

What Div Schoolcar are you in?

This thread has turned into a joke. Nothing but folks talking trash and trying to make things seem worse then what they are. We get it, learn your shat when you can. Rumors swirling around, folks lining up for the next dumb joke. This is like High School, worse yet Jr High School. Boogity, boogity, boo. Better do this and I have done that. I having been looking on here for info of the next class, screw it. I'll see ya when I get my call back. Until then I got a real brain to pick, not some child like game room. See ya later suckers. Good luck to the new guys.

This thread has turned into a joke. Nothing but folks talking trash and trying to make things seem worse then what they are. We get it, learn your shat when you can. Rumors swirling around, folks lining up for the next dumb joke. This is like High School, worse yet Jr High School. Boogity, boogity, boo. Better do this and I have done that. I having been looking on here for info of the next class, screw it. I'll see ya when I get my call back. Until then I got a real brain to pick, not some child like game room. See ya later suckers. Good luck to the new guys.

You need to learn how to ignore stuff...

Child like game room? Ask yer friend(the real brain as you say) about those Nut Job TOs and CRs on the 5 Line or that ATD there who likes to scream at people...

Or the TD at VC who will have you in and out all day and yell at you when he feels like it...

Thats real live romper room chit for you this is nothing...

I wont even get into the ones we have over here in the B Div...

Edited by RTOMan

Last thing, it's not the stupid crap in the field that would bother me. I have been a Foreman in heavy construction for many years. It's the child like antics and holier then thou attitudes here that bother me. This is a thread for info not crap. If anyone is interested, I will start a thread for list numbers being called and letters going out. When you get them feel free to reply, Mammby pammby bull shat is not welcome. We appreciate all the helpful insight but stupid is as stupid does, like Mamma use to say. By the way my friend says stay away from these threads, they are full of talkers that think they walk on water. Yes, my attitude will work in the MTA world, I know when to shut up and be grown. I am sure that is the attitude they are looking for.

Edited by Gherigfan1