How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

Two words.

Bull. Shit.

Had you known that, you would've never suggested Express routes from different boroughs to interline with one another, or routes from different depots to interline with one another in all the threads you've blatantly destroyed....And if you intend on denying this, I'll gladly grave dig every post that you made regarding this so I can shove it down your feeble-minded vessel you call a brain.

Again.

Bull. Shit!

I may be rude, but at least I'm being smart with what I say, unlike you, who is obviously stuck in the land before time (lets see who gets that little joke....) and lacks manners, common sense and most of all, proper grammar and spelling...

Carry on.

so of course express lines can't interline with each other express lines from other boroughs I learned that that was my mistake I learned from it and long since dropped that idea so stop bringing it up cause I am not. OHH Unlike you I am not as rude as you are I don't delibrately diss you every chance I get. You don't see me talking shit about WPR even though he is rude to me I know we disagree but that doesn't give you a free pass to talk shit about me 24/7 you need to chill out learn a thing called manners. You don't exactly act like a MOD more like a guy with a grudge seriously STOP. I am not perfect but at the same time I am not a complete fool either. I won't bore you with what I learned besides grow up. I am done arguing with you it's a waste of time so do me a favor don't waste energy trying to insult me 24/7 as that is disrespectful grow up and do what you do best stick to helping others with NYC based questions and stop wasting time insulting me it's getting old. Argument done I will carry on with more knowledge of the tri-state area after gaining a clearer understanding.:cool: ohh cool off you are mad

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so of course express lines can't interline with each other express lines from other boroughs I learned that that was my mistake I learned from it and long since dropped that idea so stop bringing it up cause I am not. OHH Unlike you I am not as rude as you are I don't delibrately diss you every chance I get. You don't see me talking shit about WPR even though he is rude to me I know we disagree but that doesn't give you a free pass to talk shit about me 24/7 you need to chill out learn a thing called manners. You don't exactly act like a MOD more like a guy with a grudge seriously STOP. I am not perfect but at the same time I am not a complete fool either. I won't bore you with what I learned besides grow up. I am done arguing with you it's a waste of time so do me a favor don't waste energy trying to insult me 24/7 as that is disrespectful grow up and do what you do best stick to helping others with NYC based questions and stop wasting time insulting me it's getting old. Argument done I will carry on with more knowledge of the tri-state area after gaining a clearer understanding.:cool: ohh cool off you are mad

If you were really done, you wouldnt have come up with this wall of text I barely understood!

If you were really done, you wouldnt have come up with this wall of text I barely understood!
if you aren't going to read my post then you will not understand what I was trying to say so don't bother. carry on. I don't have to dumb down my posts for people to understand. Sorry but I don't have a translator. Just go back to your strengths of helping others.

if you aren't going to read my post then you will not understand what I was trying to say so don't bother. carry on. I don't have to dumb down my posts for people to understand. Sorry but I don't have a translator. Just go back to your strengths of helping others.

If anything you need to smarten up your posts, not dumb them down. Don't blame him for your disgraceful and reckless disregard for proper English spelling, grammar, and ability to format your post so that it's easily readable.

If anything you need to smarten up your posts, not dumb them down. Don't blame him for your disgraceful and reckless disregard for proper English spelling, grammar, and ability to format your post so that it's easily readable.

O well you are right but the spell check can improve cause it doesn't highlight much when I type. Nothing against you or anything thanks.

O well you are right but the spell check can improve cause it doesn't highlight much when I type. Nothing against you or anything thanks.

Yp, omg spellchck istn workknmg so iTZ teh comptuers fautll rite? i tipe perfclty its juts tht cmputer mkaes me dumb

You should know how and when to correct w/o use of a computer especially if English is your first language.

Getting on topic, I think the (B69) should be reroute to serve Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy, via Park/Myrtle as well as cut back to 19 St and Prospect Park West. There is potential for ridership from Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, and Clinton Hill to Park Slope, especially if the (G) goes sour on the weekends. Also, a school tripper or two to Kensington can be added on the B67 starting at John Jay.

You should know how and when to correct w/o use of a computer especially if English is your first language.

Getting on topic, I think the (B69) should be reroute to serve Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy, via Park/Myrtle as well as cut back to 19 St and Prospect Park West. There is potential for ridership from Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, and Clinton Hill to Park Slope, especially if the (G) goes sour on the weekends. Also, a school tripper or two to Kensington can be added on the B67 starting at John Jay.

agree with B69 that would make it unique and more productive

• 1 month later...

Some stuff I'd fix are:

Manhattan:

1. M1: At least restore weekend service down to Union Square or East Village. South Ferry service runs weekdays from the AM rush hour to the PM rush. During rush hours only, all M1 buses to and fro South Ferry is Limited-Stop service.

2. M5: Eliminate service south of Houston Street, SF service supplemented by the M6. Limited on both weekdays AND weekends. On weekdays, limited service runs from 5 AM to 11 PM. On weekends, limited service runs from from 7 AM to 9 PM. At other times, the M5 runs local.

3. M6: Restored to its service prior to the June 2010 cuts.

4. M10: Extend back to at least Times Square. Weekdays and part-time weekend service to Penn Station.

5. M8, M21: Restore weekend service.

5A: M21: Borrowing one of B35's ideas: a branch of the M21 that extends to the W 4 Street train station and layover there. It'd turn on Christopher Street, 7 Avenue South, turn on either Spring or King Street, up 6th Avenue, and back on Houston Street.

6. M9: The route would be revised to this format:

M9_revision.png

This one takes the current northbound terminal and both southbound terminals. But instead of two south M9 terminals, the new M9 would be reinstated down Water Street and loop around Battery Park City like it were prior to the 2010 cuts.

While the City Hall terminal's eliminated, the route isn't. During midday and rush-hour weekdays and Saturdays, the M9 would loop in Park Row. Heading to Battery Park City, it would turn on Frankfort Street. Heading northbound to the Veterans Hospital, it'd just keep traveling north on Park Row back to East Broadway.

A new route (dubbed as the M19) that travels from 23rd Street and Park Avenue South to City Hall to supplement the lesser M9 service. It'd travel down 23rd Street, down 2nd Avenue, down 14th Street, down Avenue B, turn on East Houston, head down the Bowery, and then to Park Row for the rest of the trip.

Restore service up and down the steep Convent Avenue, whether it's the restoration of the M18 or something else. While the M18 wasn't a crowded line, the avenue is steep and really tough to walk on. It needs some kind of MTA service to relieve the people who live there.

M31: That route is absolutely inconsistent. Sometimes, it comes on time. Sometimes, it arrives very tardy and will come in bunches thanks to 57th Street being absolutely packed. It's especially worse for M31s that head up to Yorkville. Better service, and maybe more buses.

M104: Return service down to the U.N.

Brooklyn:

B37, B39, B51: Restore service. The B51 becomes available on weekends, too.

B71, B77: Restore service, extended to South Ferry.

B64: Restore service to the Stillwell Avenue terminal.

B4: Restore full-time service to Knapp Street.

B8: Restore full-time service to the 95th Street station.

B67, B69: Add more frequent, reliable bus service for both. The current scheduling is absolutely ABYSMAL.

B49 Limited: Either extend it to and fro the entire route during weekday rush hours or can it entirely.

X27/X28: Restore Saturday service. Saturday rush-hour service to be 20 to thirty minutes. Saturday midday service runs hourly. Service runs from 6 AM to 9 PM.

Some stuff I'd fix are:

Manhattan:

1. M1: At least restore weekend service down to Union Square or East Village. South Ferry service runs weekdays from the AM rush hour to the PM rush. During rush hours only, all M1 buses to and fro South Ferry is Limited-Stop service.

2. M5: Eliminate service south of Houston Street, SF service supplemented by the M6. Limited on both weekdays AND weekends. On weekdays, limited service runs from 5 AM to 11 PM. On weekends, limited service runs from from 7 AM to 9 PM. At other times, the M5 runs local.

4. M10: Extend back to at least Times Square. Weekdays and part-time weekend service to Penn Station.

5. M8, M21: Restore weekend service.

5A: M21: Borrowing one of B35's ideas: a branch of the M21 that extends to the W 4 Street train station and layover there. It'd turn on Christopher Street, 7 Avenue South, turn on either Spring or King Street, up 6th Avenue, and back on Houston Street.

M9_revision.png

A new route (dubbed as the M19) that travels from 23rd Street and Park Avenue South to City Hall to supplement the lesser M9 service. It'd travel down 23rd Street, down 2nd Avenue, down 14th Street, down Avenue B, turn on East Houston, head down the Bowery, and then to Park Row for the rest of the trip.

Restore service up and down the steep Convent Avenue, whether it's the restoration of the M18 or something else. While the M18 wasn't a crowded line, the avenue is steep and really tough to walk on. It needs some kind of MTA service to relieve the people who live there.

M31: That route is absolutely inconsistent. Sometimes, it comes on time. Sometimes, it arrives very tardy and will come in bunches thanks to 57th Street being absolutely packed. It's especially worse for M31s that head up to Yorkville. Better service, and maybe more buses.

M104: Return service down to the U.N.

Brooklyn:

B67, B69: Add more frequent, reliable bus service for both. The current scheduling is absolutely ABYSMAL.

B49 Limited: Either extend it to and fro the entire route during weekday rush hours or can it entirely.

X27/X28: Restore Saturday service. Saturday rush-hour service to be 20 to thirty minutes. Saturday midday service runs hourly. Service runs from 6 AM to 9 PM.

Good intentions however some are not realistic while others are very good. B37 was empty BTW

Good intentions however some are not realistic while others are very good. B37 was empty BTW

A prime example of pot calling the kettle black. His is more realistic than almost every plan you've made....

M9_revision.png

While I do agree with #3, I disagree with #2. There is no reason for an M6 Limited as ridership has never been all that high to begin with since the reroute to 7th Avenue. The main portion of its ridership was at Broadway, moving it to 7th Avenue killed its ridership.

As for the M9/M19 deal, not to deride this idea because I actually like it, but I can tell you firsthand that this is more of a cut than anything due to the fact that there would be only one route that truly serves City Hall which would be the M103 on a North-South basis. Also with the already terrible M9 headways in place as of 2010, this may just make it significantly worse.

To make it a part-time route isn't the best idea because the demand at City Hall has grown quite a lot for the M9 since 2010. Making this a part-time route to City Hall would put more pressure on the already-suffering M103. While I never agreed with the M9 going to City Hall, the level of usage down there for the M9 is pretty high considering that a mass majority of those City Hall folk are Avenue C riders.

To have this "M19" go through 14th then Houston and head down Bowery is like playing with fire because there are a number of things that will plague the route significantly, the #1 thing being the mass load of traffic in all those sections. Houston Street itself is a mess altogether thanks to the Bleecker Street construction.

What you are better off doing is restoring M15 service to City Hall and axing those Pike-Division trips.

Again, not deriding your ideas, just throwing in my 2 cents here.

While I do agree with #3, I disagree with #2. There is no reason for an M6 Limited as ridership has never been all that high to begin with since the reroute to 7th Avenue. The main portion of its ridership was at Broadway, moving it to 7th Avenue killed its ridership.
There will be NO M6 Limited. The M6 would be brought back as a local.

Brooklyn:

B51... At the risk of sounding like a broken record w/ this one.... Yeh, I would restore it & extend it to BMCC...

B39 I wouldn't bother with.... I'd have some of the M15 short turns come over the bridge; maybe to the tune of once every 20 mins or so.... Credit goes to whoever it was that thought of that idea.....

B37 should remain discontinued...

B77 should remain discontinued now that we have the current B61.... a B61 short turn @ 5th av (towards downtown) wouldn't be too bad an idea though...

B71 to lower manhattan I agree with.... but there isn't a real need for 2 routes to go there via the BBT.... I'm almost certain riders will make their way to Union if they want lwr. manhattan service via bus.... of course, compared to the old B71 headways, service would have to be boosted....

B64, yeah, it ending at UP depot is arbitrary and hardly serves much of anyone....

B4 needs full time service to Sheepshead... Pronto.

B8... I don't like the fact that it reverted back to terminating full time @ VA hosp.... but now that I think about it, I don't think a lot of its runs really need to head out to 95th st.... How often some B8's should head to 95th st though, I have to think more about.....

B67 needs its service levels reverted to what it was.... folks disembarking NB B69's short of flatbush (and there be a ton of em too) to hop on the B/Q aint cuttin it...

B69, iono, I'm convinced that this entire route needs to be restructured... the popular idea floating around is the extending of it to Williamsburg... personally, I'm mixed about that one.... anyone else has any way of realistically moderning the 69, I'm all... eyes.

B49 limited can go... The notion of a route having uni-directional rush hour limited (in english, AM only LTD) service isn't practical..... All this tells me is that the B49 route isn't one that warranted having LTD service on it in the first place.....

x27/28 weekend service is needed; there is a void... To what extent though, is the question... I tell you one thing though, I don't like this sudden occurrence of thinning out saturday express service in Brooklyn....

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004b5c88f0695f247277&ie=UTF8&ll=40.787354,-73.962932&spn=0.169932,0.103147&t=m&vpsrc=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004b5c88f0695f247277&ie=UTF8&ll=40.787354,-73.962932&spn=0.169932,0.103147&t=m&vpsrc=6&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Manhattan Loop Idea</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

I add M28 Loop

It makes all M9 stops from VA Hospital to City Hall, follows M22 to St. James Pl, follows BPC Shuttle to Northern Battery Park City, then follows M22 to Church St, follows M5 to Houston St, west on Houston St to West St, follows M8 bus to 4th Av, then non-stop on 14th St to 1st Av, then follows M15 Local to 23rd St.

**GOOGLE MAP**

I add M28 Loop

It makes all M9 stops from VA Hospital to City Hall, follows M22 to St. James Pl, follows BPC Shuttle to Northern Battery Park City, then follows M22 to Church St, follows M5 to Houston St, west on Houston St to West St, follows M8 bus to 4th Av, then non-stop on 14th St to 1st Av, then follows M15 Local to 23rd St.

Are these supposed to be fantasy routes?

Because if not.....

- The only one that has any bit of realism to me is that blue route.....

- That green loop route is outrageous.... I'd feel sorry for any b/o that'd have to put up w/ that.... the routing is similar to that of a tourist bus route....

- That red crosstown loop route I'm not taking seriously, especially considering crosstown routes (period) are as slow as all hell !

- That red route up in Inwood.... I get it, that area is very hilly, but there's no need for a full fledged route that does what you're depicting..... You may as well extend the Bx20 up to the Cloisters if you want a route to accomplish what you're depicting in this one....

edit: thanks for deleting the double post, Lance.

I agree. I wanted the B44 SBS to go over the bridge to Pike & Cherry, but forget about it completely. Delancey and the bridge are very bad when it comes to traffic, 18/7 or maybe even 20/7. NYCT buses should never be subject to that mess ever again. Period. The Brooklyn-bound side is good most of the time, but the Manhattan-bound side is absolutely awful.

Not to mention the presence of the East River ferries.

I agree. I wanted the B44 SBS to go over the bridge to Pike & Cherry, but forget about it completely. Delancey and the bridge are very bad when it comes to traffic, 18/7 or maybe even 20/7. NYCT buses should never be subject to that mess ever again. Period. The Brooklyn-bound side is good most of the time, but the Manhattan-bound side is absolutely awful.

Not to mention the presence of the East River ferries.

True but do you even know the cause of that traffic mess? where do all those cars come from(NOT including taxis)?

Once you find that out you can come up with a solution rather than ignoring it. B39 was bad BUT duplicating the subway didn't help it either. Think about it closely roosevelt ave traffic is hell yet that is where the BQE gets backed up. Also look at the west and east spurs that is traffic coming from flushing AND LGA then you get traffic from the bronx from I-87 and the bruckner also look at the subways and the 3rd ave hub for a clue. Then you have left over traffic from GWB guess what happens when you combine 3 highway loads of traffic on one highway trying to reach lower manhattan and downtown brooklyn?

GRIDLOCK! Does transit exist to facilitate these potential riders or this travel market? answer is NO!!! People CAN NOT USE BUSES THAT DON'T EXIST!!!!!!!!

However due to travel habits buses alone would fail and there needs to be a network.

Try and look at where these ppl are going how can you integrate them into the transit network and manipulate ridership habits of through riders?

Ask yourself why do ppl NOT use GWB?? answer all these questions and I am sure a solution would come up.

My B39 idea alone is unrealistic(BUT I left out details that would have made it work) and all these questions need to be answered to make such an idea even remotely sound sane.

Now the only way you will know for sure is to drive that HELLISH route and follow the traffic I know it SUCKS but if no one tries to figure out the origin's and destinations of these ppl then the GRIDLOCK will only get worse And the transit network will remain incomplete!!!

sometimes we need to step out of our zone to find real solutions.

If a successful through traveller system of routes work well then crowding on subways would be slightly reduced.

Replies in red.

Some stuff I'd fix are:

Manhattan:

Even restoring at least every 15-20 minutes weekend service to either Union Sq or 8th St/4th Ave I agree 100%. Late evenings i.e 11pm-last bus(1am)the (M1)could run between 86th-Lex station and Lenox.

While I agree that the (M6)should be restored I don't think it's coming back. I would run the 'new" (M6) between 72nd-Bway and South Ferry while the (M5) returns to pre-June 2010 routing. What a crime is that the (MTA) does not allow 'limited' (M5) service on the weekends..:mad::tdown:

4. M10: Extend back to at least Times Square. Weekdays and part-time weekend service to Penn Station. At this point even restoring full time 7-day weekday service to the PABT/Times Sq. would be grateful..

5. M8, M21: Restore weekend service. On the (M21) for service across Houston I agree 100%. However on the (M8) not sure. Especially the (MTA) will cry poverty and there are other routes citywide i.e "B39" etc. that more urgent to be restored.

M9_revision.png

I don't know the (M9) and (M21) that well so i pass making a comment on those routes.

Not a bad idea. However Too many turns. Plus the traffic on Houston and Bowery could be a nightmare during rush hours.

I would actually create a new route running between 106th/Bway "M60" terminal and the Gateway Shopping center in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium.

Routing: 110th, Convent, St. Nick, 145th, 145th Street Bridge then local streets to Gateway.

Can we say SBS-crosstown service(similar to new M34SBS) for the M31 and M57?

M104: Return service down to the U.N.-Agreed. Weekdays every other terminates at 41st and 7th..

Brooklyn:

B37-Don't think it's coming back especially since the "B103" and "B70" now serve the busiest portions of 3rd Avenue.

B39 and B51-As weekday only services I agree. In addition, the (MTA) badly needs to makes the Essex stations ADA acccessible.

B77-I would run it daily (i.e 6am-11pm Sundays 7am-11pm)between Atlantic Terminal via Livingston, Smith/Court Sts.(replacing the B57)and along the old route as a supplemental to the B61 which has become widely succesful..

B77-As a weekday only route between Prospect Park/Empire Blvd & Flatbush and South Ferry I agree.

B64: Restore service to the Stillwell Avenue terminal. Preaching to the chior on that one.B

4: Restore full-time service to Knapp Street.-As i said over the last 6 months on threads like this, I think Knapp St should run Monday-Saturdays 6am-11pm and Sundays 7am-10pm since the last few trips often had zero riders. Late Evenings to/from Shepshead Bay station.

B8: Restore full-time service to the 95th Street station.-Agreed. Not to mention quiet a few riders from Central brooklyn i.e Flatbush and East Flatbush work in SI as nurses/home health attendants, etc. and are hurt by the added transfer to the B70.

I have no problem with that. In addition overnight "B67" service should be restored.

B49 Limited: Either extend it to and fro the entire route during weekday rush hours or can it entirely. Have not rode this route on a weekday rush in a while so i can't comment.

Agree 100%. X27/28 Saturday service before the cuts was actually good. It was Sunday service that was 'dead' and needed to be canned. VG8 will argue with me again but why run buses that often had zero ridership.

B49 limited can go... The notion of a route having uni-directional rush hour limited (in english, AM only LTD) service isn't practical..... All this tells me is that the B49 route isn't one that warranted having LTD service on it in the first place.....

The S81, S84, and S86 are unidirectional limiteds, and the S90 and S96 used to be. Just because a route starts out as a unidirectional limited doesn't necessarily mean it isn't warranted at all.

I'm just pointing that out. My position as far as the B49 limited is neutral.

Select M15 trips over the bridge would destroy on-time performance M15 is a very important Manhattan line

You'd still have the South Ferry locals, plus the +SBS+.

The S81, S84, and S86 are unidirectional limiteds, and the S90 and S96 used to be. Just because a route starts out as a unidirectional limited doesn't necessarily mean it isn't warranted at all.

I'm just pointing that out. My position as far as the B49 limited is neutral

....and just because there are routes that have uni-directional limiteds in a county that has no subways, don't mean any route is solely deserving of just a uni-directional limited... and I'm just pointing that out....

The exception does not swallow the rule (so to speak)....

Limiteds should be bi-directional so that it provides riders faster service for folks traveling in either direction of a route...

That includes the S81, 84, and 86.....

I'm just pointing that out. My position as far as the B49 limited is neutral.

You'd still have the South Ferry locals, plus the +SBS+.

BS Williamsburg bridge if ever to have a bus rte needs it's OWN LINE!!!!!!!! NOT M15 CAUSE PPL WILL AVOID THOSE M15 TRIPS LIKE AN STD!!!!!!!! B39 just needs to return but extended to jackson heights for better connections and have short turns originating from williamsburg to jackson heights cause ppl will transfer to subway anyway.

....and just because there are routes that have uni-directional limiteds in a county that has no subways, don't mean any route is solely deserving of just a uni-directional limited... and I'm just pointing that out....

The exception does not swallow the rule (so to speak)....

Limiteds should be bi-directional so that it provides riders faster service for folks traveling in either direction of a route...

That includes the S81, 84, and 86.....

The MTA head admits SI service sucks just WOW!!!!!!!!

BS Williamsburg bridge if ever to have a bus rte needs it's OWN LINE!!!!!!!! NOT M15 CAUSE PPL WILL AVOID THOSE M15 TRIPS LIKE AN STD!!!!!!!! B39 just needs to return but extended to jackson heights for better connections and have short turns originating from williamsburg to jackson heights cause ppl will transfer to subway anyway.

One problem. the Kosciuszko Bridge/BQE traffic. Unless the B39 uses the BQE/Koscisuszko taking local streets through Greenpoint/Sunnyside will slow this route down. Not to mention the Willie B traffic. Do you want this route to take 2-hours 1-way QJ? Thus reducing ridership and making the (MTA)cut the route again.

Archived