How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

If you were the (MTA) & had the money what bus service...

-Would You Restore

-What Bus Route(s) would be extended (No fantasy ones allowed please!)

-Elimination of certain bus routes

-Resurrection of deceased bus routes

-Fixing Frequencies

For me my ideas would be the following:

-Create Bx55 SBS by 2013-2014.

-Extend M1 to South Ferry/Battery Park City.

-Extend M104 South-West bound Buses to United Nations.

-Remove weekend (or Just sunday service at least) from M20 route.

-Q5 & Q85 buses extended limited portion to 231st & Bedell st respectively.

-Bx8 re-routed from Country Club to Pelham Bay.

-Q83 Buses to be re-routed to Queens Village LIRR Station (Afternoon Rush Hours Only).

-B15 Buses to have increase frequencies for Mail Facility Bound Buses/JFK Buses. (Whichever potion is more needed)

-Q42 restored weekend service.

-Create the originally proposed Q94 Bus Route Between Fordham Plaza to Flushing-Main Street to help supplement (Q44).

-Return of the B39 Bus route. (If Demanded)

-X1 Bus Service to be extended to midnights.

-S79 SBS created by 2012.

-B44 SBS created by December 2012

-M15 Northbound buses reduced to Lex-125st Overnights.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Would You Restore

-Fixing Frequencies

My replies in Red.

-Create Bx55 SBS by 2013-2014.

Not sure you seen the thread but the (MTA) is already looking at this route BX15/55 or the BX41 'next' for SBS by 2014. Here link to thread.http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32812 .

-Extend M1 to South Ferry/Battery Park City.

Daily? Weekdays Only or all times? I do agree it should be restored to all day Monday-Fridays.

-Extend M104 South-West bound Buses to United Nations

Agreed. At least every other bus weekdays until 11pm IMO to help out the (M42) which has gotten crushloaded.

-Remove weekend (or Just sunday service at least) from M20 route.

Disagree. It's the only route on the far west side left running 7 days a week between West Midtown and Battery Park City/South Ferry.

-Q5 & Q85 buses extended limited portion to 231st & Bedell st respectively.

No problem with that.

-Bx8 re-routed from Country Club to Pelham Bay.

Not too familar with that part of Queens and Bronx to comment.

-Q83 Buses to be re-routed to Queens Village LIRR Station (Afternoon Rush Hours Only).

-B15 Buses to have increase frequencies for Mail Facility Bound Buses/JFK Buses. (Whichever potion is more needed)

How about 'limited' stop service rush hours to JFK and more service all other times?

-Q42 restored weekend service.

Maybe Saturdays only. I don't think ridership is there for Sunday service.

-Create the originally proposed Q94 Bus Route Between Fordham Plaza to Flushing-Main Street to help supplement (Q44).

Agreed. I would take it a step further and run it between Riverdale (Bway-231 St '1' and Main St) to also help out the BX9.

-Return of the B39 Bus route. (If Demanded)

Agreed. At least all day weekdays.

-X1 Bus Service to be extended to midnights.

It already runs SI-Bound until at least 1230am. If anything maybe run 24/7 service with 90-minute owl service overnights.

-S79 SBS created by 2012.

Already discussed here.

-B44 SBS created by December 2012

Already discussed in SBS.

-M15 Northbound buses reduced to Lex-125st Overnights=Quote]

Why? The depot is only 2 blocks away and already very long. Plus solution here is just give an extra transfer to the (M60) or "BX15" and let riders between 10pm-6am daily 'ride' to 125th/2nd so they can transfer or walk the '2' blocks.

I'd need to sit down and make a comprehensive list, but right off the bat I'd restore B48 service between Fulton St and Eastern Parkway that was cut last year. Shortening the B48 backfired spectacularly on the (MTA) actually made the route more expensive to operate because ridership tanked so hard. Re-extending the B48 won't solve all its problems, but it's better than letting it die a slow, painful death.

EDIT: Since I'm making a fantasy map in Inkscape, might as well tackle Manhattan first:

- Add a Rush Hour-only Curbside Bus Lane on 125th Street from Amsterdam Avenue to 2nd Avenue.

- Make the M3 an all-day Limited while M2 becomes Local 24/7. I don't see why the M2 has a Limited and the M3 doesn't even though the M3 is longer and busier than the M2. I guess the M2 should keep its overnight service seeing as how above 125th St St the M3 parallels the (A) and (1) (and the (D), to a lesser extent)

- Extend the Bx33 to Broadway & 138th St. It would look something like this (ignore the M5/M104 swap and the Bx55 extension)

UpperHarlemServiceMapProposedV11.png

- New stops at:

- St. Nicholas Av/137th St [shared with M3]

- St. Nicholas Av/139th St [shared with M3]

- St. Nicholas Av/141st St [shared with M3]

- 141st St/Convent Av

- Amstedam Av/140th St [shared with M100 and M101]

- Amsterdam Av/138th St [shared with M100 and M101]

- Amsterdam Av/135th St [shared with M11, M100 and M101]

- Broadway & 135th St [shared with M11]

The last stop for buses coming from Broadway and 137th St at the far corner, the bus goes up on Hamilton Place, turns left on 138th St, and the first pick-up going back to the Bronx is at Broadway & 137th St, at the current M4 and M5 bus stop.

The Bx33 extension is supposed to make it easier to get to City College and Hamilton Heights. The Bx33 would ideally to act as a faster, more convenient route to the (2), (4), (5) and (6) [and I guess the (3)] over the slower Bx15, Bx19, M100 and M101. Granted, the Bx33 runs less frequently than all of those routes.

- Make a branch of the M15, the M15A, that runs over the old M9 route between 1 Av/14 St and South Ferry.

Routing: 1 Av/2 Av -> 14th St -> Avenue B -> Houston St -> Avenue A/Essex St -> East Broadway -> St. James' Place -> Pearl Street -> Water Street to South Ferry. Supplements the M15 local, provides an alternative to the M14A and people needing Battery Park City can transfer to the M20 at South Ferry.

- Breath some life into the M106 by re-routing it to the M116's terminal. Route: E 106 St -> 5 Av/Madison Av -> 110th St -> Manhattan Avenue -> W 106th St over to Broadway. Admittedly, I don't know what to do with the M116 in the case of such a re-route. Morningside Park prevents a straight-shot extension to Columbia University or something.

-Restore both the B39 and B51.

- Make the M86 into a 24/7 SBS route. I do think the M86 would be the most practical Crosstown route to make SBS.

OK my ideas. Sorry guys who been on the forums if i am repeating some earlier proposals.

Mysterious not the worst idea in world about flip-flopping the "M2" and 'M3.' However IMO best solution is to make replace the "M3" and "M4" with the "M3" joining the "M2' all day weekdays as the 5th/Madison Limited. Also bring fare collection boxes to these bus coordiors some not including being SBS routes. 1)5th/Madison 2)125th Street 3)Main Street/Queens

4)Flatbush Ave 5)86th Street Manhattan.

1)Extend the (M8) via Avenue A, Essex and Williamsburg Bridge to the WBP Terminal replacing the (B39). Restores at least weekday service along the WBP as Essex station is still not ADA accesible.

2)Restore weekday service on the (M1)to South Ferry with 'short trips' ending at 14th Street. Weekend terminal is at 32nd/7th (Penn Station "M4" "Q32")so riders in Central Harlem near 5th/Madison have access to Midtown via bus.

3)End Overnight (M102) service. IMO it's so redudant to have both overnight

(3) subway service and this bus service. Plus overnights the Lex/3rd Ave coordior does not need 20 minute bus service while other busier bus coordiors i.e Utica (B46) Nostrand (B44) Merrick "Q5" run once an hour. Lex/3rd Ave should be every 30 minutes.

4)"Borrowing an idea' of B35's, LOL the (B24) renamed the "Q105" runs as a semi-shuttle only between Woodside-LIRR '7' station and Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint Ave. While the "B24' runs only between 46th-Queens Blvd station and Williamsburg Plaza weekdays only 5am-11pm.

5)Restore (B4) service to Sheapshead Bay station. Alternative trips extended to Knapp Street daily 6am-11pm and Sundays 8am-9pm.

6)Restore 'B8' full time daytime service to 95th Street station.

7)Create a weekdays only 'S83' limited version of the (S53) running appx. 6am-10pm. "Limited-stop" between Forest Avenue/Bway. and 86th St. station.

The 'S83' bypasses the Ft. Wadsworth (Bay St)area and uses the (S79) routing via Hylan and SI expressway service road.

8)Run the "S93" all day weekdays with 30-minute headways middays.

9)Retore "B51" rush hour service and extend it to Battery Park City/BMCC area(Manhattan Community College).

10)Restore Hourly Saturday X27/28 service running Manhattan-bound appx. 7am-6pm and Brooklyn-Bound 9am-8pm.

11)Restore Saturday "B2" service.

12)Reduce Sunday Manhattan-Bound BXM1, BXM3, BXM4 and BXM 9 to have last Midtown-bound bus leaving at 8pm. BXM7 and BXM10 remains unchanged.

13)End Sunday service on the BXM2. Riverdale does not need '3' full time 7-day a week Manhattan bus service i.e BXM1, BXM2 and BXM3.

14)restore "Q79" weekdays only. Or at the very least extend every other

"Q30's" Monday-Saturdays to Little Neck LIRR station via Little Neck Parkway.

15)Replace overnights the "Q11" on Cross Bay/Woodhaven with local "Q53."

Hourly service to/from Rockaway Park and Queens Center Mall. Short turns starts/ends in Howard Beach at 164th/Cross Bay maintaining 30-minute overnight service.

16)Create hourly "S79" overnight service.

17)create a "B44a" opearting via local Nostrand/ew York Avenue between Ave U/Nostrand and Flushing Ave/Bedford so riders going to Kings County Hosptial have a direct bus. Local version of the "B44 SBS."

18)Late evenings between appx. 10pm-130am create new "M4" service between Ft Washington and 110th/5th Ave.

19)Reduce BXM6 to a rush hour route. BXM10 serves Parkchester all other times.

More to come.

My replies to some of yours (In Bold):

Daily? Weekdays Only or all times? I do agree it should be restored to all day Monday-Fridays.

I wasn't sure 'bout Weekends but I was mainly targeting weekdays for it's extension.

Disagree. It's the only route on the far west side left running 7 days a week between West Midtown and Battery Park City/South Ferry.

This I have to go over again. For sure I would not be doing this idea w/o an additional route like re-extending the M22 or something but once again I'll have to check this over.

Maybe Saturdays only. I don't think ridership is there for Sunday service.

I was thinking Saturday anyway & leave the (Q83) to serve Liberty Av alone on Sundays.

It already runs SI-Bound until at least 1230am. If anything maybe run 24/7 service with 90-minute owl service overnights.

I know but I wasn't thinking abut giving heavy only light frequenices since it's midnight service. The 90 Minute owl service would do just fine.

Already discussed here.

Already discussed in SBS.

I know about thr B44 & S79 SBS routes. I was just specfifying the dates by how I would do it if I was in the TA's Position & was finacially in good shape.

Why? The depot is only 2 blocks away and already very long. Plus solution here is just give an extra transfer to the (M60) or "BX15" and let riders between 10pm-6am daily 'ride' to 125th/2nd so they can transfer or walk the '2' blocks.

Disregard that idea. I already had a hard time finding a way to reduce for overnights. Plus I just remember that with B/O would have an easier deadhead @ it's current terminal being that 126st Depot is only 2-3 blocks away.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

M1: Elimate Route Entirely. Alternatives will be the M102, Replacing the M1 north of 106 street, and the M2 south of 106 street.

M2: Reroute Services from 5/Madison Avenues to Park Avenue, until 8 street.

M3: Extended to South Ferry During Rush Hours

M7: Extended to South Ferry , service south of 14 street run on 8 Avenue instead of 6 Avenue

M10:Extended to 14 street ,then run up 8 Avenue to 159 street.

M20: Eliminated

Queens

Q32: Extended to La Guardia Airport via Q33 routing after 74 street.

Q33: Eliminated

Q38:Eliminated

Q49: Extended to Main Street

Q50: Restore 31 Road bus stop in both directions

Q67: New Headways: 6 AM,10 NOON,7 PM, and 20 minutes EVE &WKNDS

Q67:Extended to 108 street/ 62 Road via Q38 routing after Metropolitan Avenue /Fresh Pond Road

Q88: Extended to the Metropolitan Avenue M train Station with diversions in Corona/Elmhurst operating Q38 routing after Otis Avenue/ H.H Expwy

I think a lot of these proposals have been discussed. We have the one about the evaluation of the service reductions, plus those ones about each borough (SI Division: 2010 and Beyond, Brooklyn Division: 2010 and Beyond) and there've probably been some others as well. Anyway...

1) I'd need to sit down and make a comprehensive list, but right off the bat I'd restore B48 service between Fulton St and Eastern Parkway that was cut last year. Shortening the B48 backfired spectacularly on the (MTA) actually made the route more expensive to operate because ridership tanked so hard. Re-extending the B48 won't solve all its problems, but it's better than letting it die a slow, painful death.

2) The Bx33 extension is supposed to make it easier to get to City College and Hamilton Heights. The Bx33 would ideally to act as a faster, more convenient route to the (2), (4), (5) and (6) [and I guess the (3)] over the slower Bx15, Bx19, M100 and M101. Granted, the Bx33 runs less frequently than all of those routes.

3) Make a branch of the M15, the M15A, that runs over the old M9 route between 1 Av/14 St and South Ferry.

4) Breath some life into the M106 by re-routing it to the M116's terminal. Route: E 106 St -> 5 Av/Madison Av -> 110th St -> Manhattan Avenue -> W 106th St over to Broadway. Admittedly, I don't know what to do with the M116 in the case of such a re-route. Morningside Park prevents a straight-shot extension to Columbia University or something.

5) Make the M86 into a 24/7 SBS route. I do think the M86 would be the most practical Crosstown route to make SBS.

1) It didn't make it more expensive to operate: It just made cost-efficiency go down for the route, but the MTA still saved money by cutting it back. A lot of people did switch to the shuttle.

2) Makes sense.

3) I don't think that's really necessary. You can just beef up M15 local service. Besides, people going to Battery Park City can take the M9 to the M22 (or just walk to the M22 directly). It would be faster than going for the M20 (especially considering its poor reliability)

4) No comment.

5) I don't really see a need to be hesitant on giving routes +SBS+. I think most crosstown routes could use at least some aspects of +SBS+.

1)Extend the (M8) via Avenue A, Essex and Williamsburg Bridge to the WBP Terminal replacing the (B39). Restores at least weekday service along the WBP as Essex station is still not ADA accesible.

2)Restore weekday service on the (M1)to South Ferry with 'short trips' ending at 14th Street. Weekend terminal is at 32nd/7th (Penn Station "M4" "Q32")so riders in Central Harlem near 5th/Madison have access to Midtown via bus.

3)End Overnight (M102) service. IMO it's so redudant to have both overnight

(3) subway service and this bus service. Plus overnights the Lex/3rd Ave coordior does not need 20 minute bus service while other busier bus coordiors i.e Utica (B46) Nostrand (B44) Merrick "Q5" run once an hour. Lex/3rd Ave should be every 30 minutes.

4)"Borrowing an idea' of B35's, LOL the (B24) renamed the "Q105" runs as a semi-shuttle only between Woodside-LIRR '7' station and Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint Ave. While the "B24' runs only between 46th-Queens Blvd station and Williamsburg Plaza weekdays only 5am-11pm.

5)Restore (B4) service to Sheapshead Bay station. Alternative trips extended to Knapp Street daily 6am-11pm and Sundays 8am-9pm.

6)Restore 'B8' full time daytime service to 95th Street station.

7)Create a weekdays only 'S83' limited version of the (S53) running appx. 6am-10pm. "Limited-stop" between Forest Avenue/Bway. and 86th St. station.

The 'S83' bypasses the Ft. Wadsworth (Bay St)area and uses the (S79) routing via Hylan and SI expressway service road.

8)Run the "S93" all day weekdays with 30-minute headways middays.

9)Retore "B51" rush hour service and extend it to Battery Park City/BMCC area(Manhattan Community College).

10)Restore Hourly Saturday X27/28 service running Manhattan-bound appx. 7am-6pm and Brooklyn-Bound 9am-8pm.

11)Restore Saturday "B2" service.

12)Reduce Sunday Manhattan-Bound BXM1, BXM3, BXM4 and BXM 9 to have last Midtown-bound bus leaving at 8pm. BXM7 and BXM10 remains unchanged.

13)End Sunday service on the BXM2. Riverdale does not need '3' full time 7-day a week Manhattan bus service i.e BXM1, BXM2 and BXM3.

14)restore "Q79" weekdays only. Or at the very least extend every other

"Q30's" Monday-Saturdays to Little Neck LIRR station via Little Neck Parkway.

15)Replace overnights the "Q11" on Cross Bay/Woodhaven with local "Q53."

Hourly service to/from Rockaway Park and Queens Center Mall. Short turns starts/ends in Howard Beach at 164th/Cross Bay maintaining 30-minute overnight service.

16)Create hourly "S79" overnight service.

17)create a "B44a" opearting via local Nostrand/ew York Avenue between Ave U/Nostrand and Flushing Ave/Bedford so riders going to Kings County Hosptial have a direct bus. Local version of the "B44 SBS."

18)Late evenings between appx. 10pm-130am create new "M4" service between Ft Washington and 110th/5th Ave.

19)Reduce BXM6 to a rush hour route. BXM10 serves Parkchester all other times.

More to come.

1) Eh, I'm 50/50 on this. I guess the advantage is that in case the M8 gets delayed, there's always the M14.

2) No comment.

3) Well, I do think the B46 should get more frequent overnight service: At least service every 40 minutes.

4) I'd have that B24 from Williamsburg to Sunnyside run weekends as well, on 30 minute headways.

5) Agree.

6) Agree.

7) It should be 7 days a week (though the span should be shorter on the weekends). Plus, I see no harm in making it limited all the way to Port Richmond.

8) Agree, and like I said it should be extended to Arlington for coverage purposes (at least select trips should). And Saturday service should run at the same time when the S62 short-turns run (they'd be converted to S93 trips)

9) Disagree.

10) Agree.

11) Disagree. Just eliminate it entirely and reroute the B100 to compensate (of course, increase B100 frequencies too)

12) No comment.

13) Neither agree nor disagree. I'd just like to point out that the BxM2 actually is reasonably cost-efficient on Sundays. The BxM3 is actually more expensive to operate.

With the right marketing, hopefully you can increase ridership on all 3 routes.

14) Like I said, it should be split up between the different routes in the area.

15) No comment.

16) No comment.

17) Isn't that what the local is going to do anyway?

18) No comment.

19) Agree.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

M1: Elimate Route Entirely. Alternatives will be the M102, Replacing the M1 north of 106 street, and the M2 south of 106 street.

M7: Extended to South Ferry , service south of 14 street run on 8 Avenue instead of 6 Avenue

Queens

Q67:Extended to 108 street/ 62 Road via Q38 routing after Metropolitan Avenue /Fresh Pond Road

Q88: Extended to the Metropolitan Avenue M train Station with diversions in Corona/Elmhurst operating Q38 routing after Otis Avenue/ H.H Expwy

I'd like to point out a few things:

* Park Avenue isn't that far from Madison/Lexington Avenue. I'd just leave the service concentrated onto these corridors. Plus, I don't think Park Avenue wants a bus anyway.

* I see no need for the M3 to serve South Ferry.

* The M20 split definitely makes some sense. I don't know enough about it to comment, though.

* The Q32/Q33 merger would make the whole route more unreliable. I'd just split the Q32 up by sending the Q33 to 48th Street, and then sending the Q104 to Manhattan via Queens Blvd.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

Queens

The M3 is long enough. It does not need to be extended.

M20- Disagree. As it was mentioned, it is the only route that provides service from South Ferry to Battery Park and the West Side of Manhattan.

Keep the M7 on 6 Avenue. It provides local service when the M5 runs limited.

As for the M1, I would eliminate it south of 110 St since the M2 and M3 have the same exact route.

The M3 is long enough. It does not need to be extended.

M20- Disagree. As it was mentioned, it is the only route that provides service from South Ferry to Battery Park and the West Side of Manhattan.

Keep the M7 on 6 Avenue. It provides local service when the M5 runs limited.

The M7 extension would cover the southern part of the route and the M10 would cover the northern part so the far West Side would still have service.

And north of 14th Street, the M7 would remain the same. It would still provide the local service for the M5.

@Checkmate: All of the [borough] Divison: 2010 and Beyond threads except for the Staten Island one are long dead ;)

Moving on, a while ago B35viaChurch had this idea to restructure the B20 and B83 in New Lots to make them more efficient.

RouteChangeB20andB83.png

The B83 has one branch straight down Pennsylvania and another branch partially on Van Siclen Av, while the B20 is rerouted to New Lots Av, which actually makes it faster. I made the map on Paint months ago, so it doesn't show the B6's recent reroute around New Lots Avenue (3) (although the (MTA) hasn't updated the Brooklyn map yet, so it's cool.)

My comments in blue.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

I disagree. I think the M1 needs service restored to S. Ferry during the week days. I don't the M102 is a viable alternative to 5th/Madison north of 106.

Not a good idea. Park Av. does not need bus service.

IMO, the M3 is the last bus that needs to be extended to South Ferry. It's already long as is, and it's a local route. If anything, I would extend the M2 before the M3.

Why would you do that?

If that was to be done it should be for rush hours, every other run only.

Definitely not. Basic reasons mentioned above by Shortline Bus.

Queens

Not so sure about this one.... But if so, limited runs only.

I take it you've never been on the Q33 before! It needs to be kept.

Don't know enough about it.

No need. You have the Q19, Q66, and (7) train.

That defeats the whole purpose of the bus being limited.

Don't know enough about those routes to comment either.

Those are only my opinions though!;)

@Checkmate: All of the [borough] Divison: 2010 and Beyond threads except for the Staten Island one are long dead ;)

Moving on, a while ago B35viaChurch had this idea to restructure the B20 and B83 in New Lots to make them more efficient.

The B83 has one branch straight down Pennsylvania and another branch partially on Van Siclen Av, while the B20 is rerouted to New Lots Av, which actually makes it faster. I made the map on Paint months ago, so it doesn't show the B6's recent reroute around New Lots Avenue (3) (although the (MTA) hasn't updated the Brooklyn map yet, so it's cool.)

What was the B6 reroute like (what route does it take now?)

And those 2 branches of the B83 look messed up. I think it should stay the way it is. It seems like it picks up more people along its current route (I think that part of Pennsylvania Avenue has more strip malls, whereas Van Siclen Avenue has more people living around it).

What was the B6 reroute like (what route does it take now?)

It's because of the New Lots Triangle or whatever the DOT is promoting. Kinda like a reroute because of a pedestrian plaza, but on a smaller scale.

Let me let my friend Google Maps explain it.

Before:

B6inNewLotsBefore-1.png

After:

B6inNewLotsAfter-1.png

I would do:

-Create Bx55 SBS, running between Park Av/125th St and Gun Hill/WPR

-As a result, Bx15 cut back to 3 Av/138th St (via 3 Av, no more Willis Av service)

-Restore Bx2 along 165th St/Melrose-Teller Avs

-Restore Bx5 along Bruckner Blvd

-I agree with Mysterious2Train on extending Bx33 to 138th St/Broadway

-Merge Bx28 and Bx38 into one, running between Co-op City Section 5 and Marble Hill/225th St MNRR station (via 1-2-3-4-5). New Bx28 LTD service running rush hours and middays making limited stops between Co-op City Section 5 and Paul Av/Mosholu Pkwy (all buses run to 225th St)

-Extend Bx13 to Hunts Point Market via 161st/163rd/Longwood Av

-Expand Bx36 LTD service to rush hours and middays

Welcome back Lenin aka COTB. So what does Tracy Towers riders going to/from COOP City use as a replacement if the (BX28)is sent to Bway/225th? If anything IMO I would keep the (BX28) alone and send the (BX38) to Marble Hill.

I would do:

-Create Bx55 SBS, running between Park Av/125th St and Gun Hill/WPR

-As a result, Bx15 cut back to 3 Av/138th St (via 3 Av, no more Willis Av service)

-Restore Bx2 along 165th St/Melrose-Teller Avs

-Restore Bx5 along Bruckner Blvd

-I agree with Mysterious2Train on extending Bx33 to 138th St/Broadway

-Merge Bx28 and Bx38 into one, running between Co-op City Section 5 and Marble Hill/225th St MNRR station (via 1-2-3-4-5). New Bx28 LTD service running rush hours and middays making limited stops between Co-op City Section 5 and Paul Av/Mosholu Pkwy (all buses run to 225th St)

-Extend Bx13 to Hunts Point Market via 161st/163rd/Longwood Av

Welcome back Lenin aka COTB. So what does Tracy Towers riders going to/from COOP City use as a replacement if the (BX28)is sent to Bway/225th? If anything IMO I would keep the (BX28) alone and send the (BX38) to Marble Hill.

Tracey Towers doesn't lose anything. As a matter of fact, they would walk to Paul Av/Mosholu Pkwy and grab a quicker ride on the Bx28 LTD.

Route west of Norwood: Bainbridge Av, Mosholu Pkwy inner roadway, paul Av, Bedford Park Blvd West, Goulden Av, Kingsbridge Rd.

I merged them because since the split, the routes have bunched collectively.

Tracey Towers doesn't lose anything. As a matter of fact, they would walk to Paul Av/Mosholu Pkwy and grab a quicker ride on the Bx28 LTD.

Route west of Norwood: Bainbridge Av, Mosholu Pkwy inner roadway, paul Av, Bedford Park Blvd West, Goulden Av, Kingsbridge Rd.

I merged them because since the split, the routes have bunched collectively.

Disagree Lenin. Paul Ave is about 1/4 mile from main section of Tracy Towers on Jerome/mosholu (4) station. My cousins lived for years in Tracy Towers which includes high # of seniors. I don't think they be too happy losing access to COOP City/Bay Plaza.1/4 Mile for seniors/disabled especially in cold weather is very hard for them. Plus taking the busy (BX1) (BX2) is added transfer for nothing.

At least one branch of the BX28/38 needs to still serve Tracy Towers.

Disagree Lenin. Paul Ave is about 1/4 mile from main section of Tracy Towers on Jerome/mosholu (4) station. My cousins lived for years in Tracy Towers which includes high # of seniors. I don't think they be too happy losing access to COOP City/Bay Plaza.1/4 Mile for seniors/disabled especially in cold weather is very hard for them. Plus taking the busy (BX1) (BX2) is added transfer for nothing.

I could have the Bx28 local serve Jerome/Mosholu while the LTD would only stop at Paul/Mosholu to avoid the turns between Van Cortlandt AV E and Paul Av.

Here are other ideas for other boroughs:

-Kill B35 LTD service

-Extend Q18 south to Cooper Av/60 Lane in Ridgewood via Woodside Av/69th St/Metro Av/Forest Av/75 Av/60 Lane

-Reroute Q39 via Fresh Pond Rd, terminating at Fresh Pond Rd station

-Reroute Q47 from Atlas Park Mall to Myrtle Av/81st St

-Merge Q15, Q15A, and Q34 to form new Q15, running between Beechhurst and Jamaica LIRR

Route: Powell's Cove Blvd, 154th St, 10/11 Avs, 150 St, Northern Blvd, Main St, Kissena/Parsons Blvd, Archer Av

This should be a good thread.

*Operate the Bx55 as SBS with 4-6 minute headways rush hours, 7-9 middays, 6-8 minutes evenings, 9-11 minutes weekends.

*Extend the Bx55 to Third Av/138 St and Williamsbridge all times, while evening service after 8:30pm would operate between The Hub and Fordham only.

*Combine the Bx28/38. What's the point of the Bx28 serving all of Co-op City overnight if it can't go there during the day? Plus, the Bx38 mimics the Bx28 short turns to Norwood. rendering it useless.

*All Bx28 buses would be extended to Fordham Center with no short turns to Norwood weekdays only.

*Send the Bx5 back to Bruckner Blvd and remove Crosby Ave service. The Bx8 is already there, so why did the MTA didn't see this?

I'd like to point out what cotb16 said as well.

-Extend Bx13 to Hunts Point Market via 161st/163rd/Longwood Av.

Definitely, the Bx6 needs some help at 161/163 St. While we're talking about the Bx6, why was service cut back to Yankee Stadium and later extended to Melrose a few times?

Early evening and weekend LTD service are needed as I always see most buses passing by 180 St jammed.

*Operate the Bx55 as SBS with 4-6 minute headways rush hours, 7-9 middays, 6-8 minutes evenings, 9-11 minutes weekends.

*Extend the Bx55 to Third Av/138 St and Williamsbridge all times, while evening service after 8:30pm would operate between The Hub and Fordham only.

*Combine the Bx28/38. What's the point of the Bx28 serving all of Co-op City overnight if it can't go there during the day? Plus, the Bx38 mimics the Bx28 short turns to Norwood. rendering it useless.

*All Bx28 buses would be extended to Fordham Center with no short turns to Norwood weekdays only.

*Send the Bx5 back to Bruckner Blvd and remove Crosby Ave service. The Bx8 is already there, so why did the MTA didn't see this?

I'd like to point out what cotb16 said as well.

-Extend Bx13 to Hunts Point Market via 161st/163rd/Longwood Av.

Definitely, the Bx6 needs some help at 161/163 St. While we're talking about the Bx6, why was service cut back to Yankee Stadium and later extended to Melrose a few times?

Early evening and weekend LTD service are needed as I always see most buses passing by 180 St jammed.

The Bx13's to Melrose are only school specials during the AM Rush. However, the Bx6 does need help (at least between Yankee Stadium and Prospect Avenue).

-Would You Restore

-Fixing Frequencies

-Create Bx55 SBS by 2013-2014. That's probably not going to happen. The (Bx15), maybe

-Extend M1 to South Ferry/Battery Park City. I would just restore service to South Ferry and weekend service to the Village

-Extend M104 South-West bound Buses to United Nations. Agrred

-Remove weekend (or Just sunday service at least) from M20 route. Disagree. The (M20) is only route on the West Side that goes south of Houston. What do you have in its place?

-Q5 & Q85 buses extended limited portion to 231st & Bedell st respectively. Disagree. Keep them the way they are

-Bx8 re-routed from Country Club to Pelham Bay. Keep the (Bx8) as is

-Q83 Buses to be re-routed to Queens Village LIRR Station (Afternoon Rush Hours Only). I would just restore (Q83) service to Queens Village LIRR since not all (Q27)'s go to 120 Av

-B15 Buses to have increase frequencies for Mail Facility Bound Buses/JFK Buses. (Whichever potion is more needed) No comment

-Q42 restored weekend service. I would just restore off peak service

-Create the originally proposed Q94 Bus Route Between Fordham Plaza to Flushing-Main Street to help supplement (Q44). Agreed

-Return of the B39 Bus route. (If Demanded) "If demanded"? There is a demand!

-X1 Bus Service to be extended to midnights. No comment

-S79 SBS created by 2012. Agreed

-B44 SBS created by December 2012 Agreed, but keep the routing same as the local

-M15 Northbound buses reduced to Lex-125st Overnights. Keep as is

Here are my ideas:

Restore weekend service on the (Q31) and (Q76)

My home is 2/5 of a mile (0.4 miles vs. 0.25 or 1/4 mile) from the nearest bus, and my grandmother manages to walk the distance. And we don't even have the option of transferring to make the trip easier (they have the Bx1/2 and Bx10).

I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea to move the Bx28, but I'm throwing that out there.

1) Combine the Bx28/38. What's the point of the Bx28 serving all of Co-op City overnight if it can't go there during the day? Plus, the Bx38 mimics the Bx28 short turns to Norwood. rendering it useless.

2) Send the Bx5 back to Bruckner Blvd and remove Crosby Ave service. The Bx8 is already there, so why did the MTA didn't see this?

3) Expand Bx36 LTD service to rush hours and middays

1) Overnight service has nothing to do with regular service. A lot of trains run local at night and express during the day. It's the same idea here (only the Bx28 was rerouted mainly to save money)

2) With all the emphasis on keeping costs down, it's amazing they're keeping it on Crosby Avenue.

3) Makes sense. They could take out some locals and convert them to limiteds, so the overall corridor would see more frequent service (instead of a local every 10 minutes, they could have a local and limited every 16 minutes each, which is 8 minutes combined, and it would cost more or less the same)

The Bx13's to Melrose are only school specials during the AM Rush. However, the Bx6 does need help (at least between Yankee Stadium and Prospect Avenue).

Didn't they used to be regular trips during rush hour?

Here are my ideas:

Restore weekend service on the (Q31) and (Q76)

I agree with that.

As far as the M20 comment goes, the northern half would be replaced by the M10 and the southern half would be replaced by the M7 (I neither agree nor disagree with the idea, but I'm just clarifying it).

Here are my ideas...

(B54) Remove stops at Kent Av(both directions) and Walworth Street(eastbound only). The Clinton Avenue stop for Ridgewood can be made a School Tripper stop, because a lot of students get on eastbound. Westbound, the Clinton Avenue stop can be moved Vanderbilt Avenue near the B69 stop to Downtown Brooklyn

(B15) All JFK trips serve Brooklyn Mail Facility.

(B68) One or two to end at Bishop Ford in the morning and one starting there at around 2:45

(S79) Limited stop service in lieu of +SBS

(B39) Service revived but will serve 1 and 2 Avenues to either Union Square or Grand Central Terminal

Archived