How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

My Proposal: Part 2

The Bronx

Bx1/BX2:All limited buses operate to Riverdale as Bx1 LTD( as an interborough limited), while the locals operate as Bx2 Local until 231 street, with Bx2 service to go on Lincoln Avenue instead of Third Avenue

Bx3: Run Artics used on the Bx1. Too overcrowded during most Periods of day.

Bx40/Bx42 Restructure:Bx40 operates as a limited, while the Bx42 operates local. In the process, selected Q44 buses can be extended to 3 Ave and E. Tremont Avenue

Bx27: Eliminated , route is too damaged period.

Bx35: Combined with Bx27 to Classons Point

1. Bx27/35 merge, that was my idea... lol. Anyways, do Bx27 riders want a 1-seat ride to Washington Hts? Anyone can answer that question for me.

2. Bx1 is already limited (except Sundays) while the Bx2 is already local... I'm not following. The Bx2 is not needed at Riverdale (except for early weekday and Sunday mornings) and it has been that way for many years.

3. Mixed. Yes, artics are needed, but the Bx1 needs them as well since it's a well-used route.

4. Bx40 Limited, agreed. But a Q44 extension to 3 Av via Tremont; unnecessary. Q44 riders want access to the Bronx Zoo, not 3rd Ave. That's why there's a free transfer to the Bx40/42.

5. Dunno about the Bx27 as I only took it once years ago.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Bx27/35 merge, that was my idea... lol. Anyways, do Bx27 riders want a 1-seat ride to Washington Hts? Anyone can answer that question for me.

2. Bx1 is already limited (except Sundays) while the Bx2 is already local... I'm not following. The Bx2 is not needed at Riverdale (except for early weekday and Sunday mornings) and it has been that way for many years.

3. Mixed. Yes, artics are needed, but the Bx1 needs them as well since it's a well-used route.

4. Bx40 Limited, agreed. But a Q44 extension to 3 Av via Tremont; unnecessary. Q44 riders want access to the Bronx Zoo, not 3rd Ave. That's why there's a free transfer to the Bx40/42.

Bx27 to Washington Heights.....sorry no. Too many routes go to Washington Heights-George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal they don't need anymore!

My Proposal: Part 2

The Bronx

Bx1/BX2:All limited buses operate to Riverdale as Bx1 LTD( as an interborough limited), while the locals operate as Bx2 Local until 231 street, with Bx2 service to go on Lincoln Avenue instead of Third Avenue

Bx3: Run Artics used on the Bx1. Too overcrowded during most Periods of day.

Bx40/Bx42 Restructure:Bx40 operates as a limited, while the Bx42 operates local. In the process, selected Q44 buses can be extended to 3 Ave and E. Tremont Avenue

Bx27: Eliminated , route is too damaged period.

Bx35: Combined with Bx27 to Classons Point

BxM7: Buses rerouted to operate local through Jervis Avenue and Bruckner Boulevard Sections

BxM8: City Island trips remain, local via BxM8 current route.

Hope these aren't drastic cuts but a fix to the the system.

Bx1/Bx2: wait a second, lincoln av? So you want the 2 to skip the hub? can't agree w/ that....

It's bad enough they had to move it off melrose & 165th...

Bx3: Yes it gets its crowds, but artics... nah...

Bx40/42: I suppose.... but the Q44 part of it, leave that right over there by the Bronx Zoo....

Bx27: What do you mean the route is "damaged"?

Bx35: I'm mixed about this.... 27 does get more riders than a lot of ppl. might think... and the 35 is already slow as all hell... but what I've long noticed over there @ the terminal is that, a lot of folks boarding 27's were/are ppl. x-ferring off other buses.... what percentage of them are comin off 35's, I can't say.... for a merge to work, you would have to retain some type of short turn... or else it'll be like the 36 & the problems that route has (one of which is simply, being too drawn out; laggy).....

the one plus that would come from a merge, is all day service to west farms rd (as 27's stop running there after a certain point... they stop dead by the morrison-soundview (6))

Bxm7: No way... that would add about 10 mins. to the commutes of co-op riders... let them have their direct express.... why do you think the 8 exists...

Bxm8: you're not suggesting anything here... the current city island runs operate via the rest of the bxm8 route; it's not a straight express to/from city island anymore.... hasn't been like that since it was named the 7b....

Seems like it... but like I said in the reply to homeboy above, I do question how many/what percentage though....

Bx1/Bx2: wait a second, lincoln av? So you want the 2 to skip the hub? can't agree w/ that....

It's bad enough they had to move it off melrose & 165th...

Bx40/42: I suppose.... but the Q44 part of it, leave that right over there by the Bronx Zoo....

Bx27: What do you mean the route is "damaged"?

Bx35: I'm mixed about this.... 27 does get more riders than a lot of ppl. might think... and the 35 is already slow as all hell... but what I've long noticed over there @ the terminal is that, a lot of folks boarding 27's were/are ppl. x-ferring off other buses.... what percentage of them are comin off 35's, I can't say.... for a merge to work, you would have to retain some type of short turn... or else it'll be like the 36 & the problems that route has (one of which is simply, being too drawn out; laggy).....

the one plus that would come from a merge, is all day service to west farms rd (as 27's stop running there after a certain point... they stop dead by the morrison-soundview (6))

Bxm7: No way... that would add about 10 mins. to the commutes of co-op riders... let them have their direct express.... why do you think the 8 exists...

Bxm8: you're not suggesting anything here... the current city island runs operate via the rest of the bxm8 route; it's not a straight express to/from city island anymore.... hasn't been like that since it was named the 7b....

Seems like it... but like I said in the reply to homeboy above, I do question how many/what percentage though....

well I did get my feet wet with BX27 to merge sort of with bx10 via bronx river but I need more data on bx27 I had mixed feelings and wasn't sure about nyc hence why I haven't mentioned it.

well I did get my feet wet with BX27 to merge sort of with bx10 via bronx river but I need more data on bx27 I had mixed feelings and wasn't sure about nyc hence why I haven't mentioned it.

I don't know what you could be possibly thinking of with this...

Those two routes have zero to do with each other; they run on totally opposite sides of the borough....

I don't know what you could be possibly thinking of with this...

Those two routes have zero to do with each other; they run on totally opposite sides of the borough....

I know the thing I was thinking with that one was the bronx river parkway to make travel from one end to another faster and well practical with transit by making a direct link between those areas and major transfer points on the way. This saves time by reducing transfers if you would make the trip and providing a service that is competitive with the car to reduce car use in the bronx as well.

The route will use bronx river parkway to bedford park blvd then onward to van cortlandt towards manhattan college parkway to be like a faster way to that riverdale area with connections to other lines for other purposes.

Well I did not mean to say damaged for the Bx27, I meant it for the Bx35, my mistake. Keep in mind that if the Q44 was extended to third Avenue, under my plans, would still serve the Bronx Zoo, and keep in mind that selected trips during the day would go to Third Avenue. I would rename the Bx27/Bx35 the Bx27. Under my Plans, Bx1's would operate completely limited south of 231 street every day. I never accounted for a Riverdale extension as I meant the Bx2 would operate only local over it's entire route

Bx35: I'm mixed about this.... for a merge to work, you would have to retain some type of short turn... or else it'll be like the 36 & the problems that route has (one of which is simply, being too drawn out; laggy).....

1. The Bx3 receiving artics now and then wouldn't be bad. Hell, the Bx36 has a few artics during rush hours. B)

2. You don't want to hear me rant about the Bx36... :tdown:

If a Bx27/35 merge were to happen, the short turns would take place at Grant/174, West Farms Rd, and Morrison Ave, considering that both routes don't have more, or any, short turns at all. As you said, Bx27 riders can benefit full time access to West Farms Rd and a one seat ride to Washington Hts.

Keep in mind that if the Q44 was extended to third Avenue, under my plans, would still serve the Bronx Zoo, and keep in mind that selected trips during the day would go to Third Avenue. I would rename the Bx27/Bx35 the Bx27. Under my Plans, Bx1's would operate completely limited south of 231 street every day. I never accounted for a Riverdale extension as I meant the Bx2 would operate only local over it's entire route
1. You have to remember that heavy congestion at the Cross Bronx Expwy can screw the Q44 during rush hours. And if it were to run to 3 Av via Tremont, no matter if it's select trips, then it'd be a lot worse since Tremont sees heavy traffic too. Unless you plan to send the route via 180...

2. Again, I'm not following. The Bx1 already serves all stops (they're considered LTD stops) after Kingsbridge Hts, so a Bx2 isn't necessary. And the Bx2 is already local... :confused:

I know the thing I was thinking with that one was the bronx river parkway to make travel from one end to another faster and well practical with transit by making a direct link between those areas and major transfer points on the way. This saves time by reducing transfers if you would make the trip and providing a service that is competitive with the car to reduce car use in the bronx as well.

The route will use bronx river parkway to bedford park blvd then onward to van cortlandt towards manhattan college parkway to be like a faster way to that riverdale area with connections to other lines for other purposes.

You make it sound like cars are evil. Traveling within the outerboroughs will always be easiest by car. Unless you have a bus running express between the two destinations every 5 minutes then nobody will go for it.

For me, whenever I have to go out to Queens or Brooklyn for anything the thought of taking the subway doesn't even cross my mind. It's just a given that if I'm traveling outside of Manhattan I'll use the car because it gives me the freedom of being able to travel elsewhere, make stops along the way if I need to, and I'm not tied down by a bus schedule. Oh, and do I even need to mention that it's probably at least 3 times faster than the subway?

You make it sound like cars are evil. Traveling within the outerboroughs will always be easiest by car. Unless you have a bus running express between the two destinations every 5 minutes then nobody will go for it.

For me, whenever I have to go out to Queens or Brooklyn for anything the thought of taking the subway doesn't even cross my mind. It's just a given that if I'm traveling outside of Manhattan I'll use the car because it gives me the freedom of being able to travel elsewhere, make stops along the way if I need to, and I'm not tied down by a bus schedule. Oh, and do I even need to mention that it's probably at least 3 times faster than the subway?

reduced traffic means more reliable lines in the surrounding areas. The quick line will effect other routes indirectly in a sense. NYC is transit based I am trying to strengthen that big time. With that idea the service between the 2 major points will be frequent half continue via Bx10 routing the rest via a faster travel path to riverdale. In brooklyn Q64 splits beyond via cooper ave or central ave to ridgewood or broadway jct. In brooklyn a rapid rte from brooklyn college to rockaway blvd (A) the line goes via ave D and linden blvd making only a few stops the line can interline with Q112 or Q7 whatever is better. I was never sure about NYC hence why I waited so long to say anything. Cars eventually add up and create jams which slow down buses severely.

To be honest buses running express between 2 major points very frequently is exactly what my concept for parts of NYC is that is what the lines will be but I need to gather more data to see which ones work and the ones that won't I also looked at parkways which restrict transit

The QM1 and QM5 can just be combined into one route, since there is no need for QM1 service if it's duplicated by the QM5 for most of the Route. Same for the QM7/QM8. So here is my plan:

QM1/QM5: Combined under QM1 label. Every other bus would serve Fresh Meadows from 6AM-7PM. Then every bus afterwards goes via Fresh Meadows. All weekend service would operate via Fresh Meadows.

QM7/QM8: Combined under QM7 label. Every other bus would originate from either Glen Oaks or Fresh Meadows. All PM service operates via Fresh Meadows to Glen Oaks.

Who on earth ever does? lol

I might have had an answer to that.... until you said earth !!!

lol....

You make it sound like cars are evil.

He's going to (resort to sounding like that). He's anti-car....

The QM1 and QM5 can just be combined into one route, since there is no need for QM1 service if it's duplicated by the QM5 for most of the Route. Same for the QM7/QM8. So here is my plan:

QM1/QM5: Combined under QM1 label. Every other bus would serve Fresh Meadows from 6AM-7PM. Then every bus afterwards goes via Fresh Meadows. All weekend service would operate via Fresh Meadows.

QM7/QM8: Combined under QM7 label. Every other bus would originate from either Glen Oaks or Fresh Meadows. All PM service operates via Fresh Meadows to Glen Oaks.

You'd be back to square one....

1. The Bx3 receiving artics now and then wouldn't be bad. Hell, the Bx36 has a few artics during rush hours. ;)

2. You don't want to hear me rant about the Bx36... :tdown:

If a Bx27/35 merge were to happen, the short turns would take place at Grant/174, West Farms Rd, and Morrison Ave, considering that both routes don't have more, or any, short turns at all. As you said, Bx27 riders can benefit full time access to West Farms Rd and a one seat ride to Washington Hts.

I suppose (about the Bx3), guess I'll take your word for it... you know your stuff...

....and I forgot about those artics on the 36.... I think they still put em on the M100 sometimes also....

Both wont work at all.

The QM1 is the Midtown variant of the QM7 and the QM5 is the same with the QM8. You'd have them folks throwing bricks at you for this, especially since all 4 lines are crowded like a mo'fu*ka during the rush, ESPECIALLY the supers....

I'm telling you, examine these routes before you make these unnecessary changes. Thats like me saying to send the Q23 to Jamaica for no logical reason.

Both wont work at all.

The QM1 is the Midtown variant of the QM7 and the QM5 is the same with the QM8. You'd have them folks throwing bricks at you for this, especially since all 4 lines are crowded like a mo'fu*ka during the rush, ESPECIALLY the supers....

I'm telling you, examine these routes before you make these unnecessary changes. Thats like me saying to send the Q23 to Jamaica for no logical reason.

true those lines at rush hour are CRUSHED I think I have to apologize for going overboard with the merger concept it's not as effective in NYC. DID I influence this somehow??? back to topic what do you think about QM5 merging with QM1 the QM1 is a short turn variant last I checked. Does QM1 have good off peak usage???

true those lines at rush hour are CRUSHED I think I have to apologize for going overboard with the merger concept it's not as effective in NYC. DID I influence this somehow??? back to topic what do you think about QM5 merging with QM1 the QM1 is a short turn variant last I checked. Does QM1 have good off peak usage???

The QM1 doesn't run off peak. The QM5/6 do

Now I will say one thing here. Depending on where you are in Brooklyn and the time of day, riding the subway is much faster than driving. I know this from personal experience of driving and living in Brooklyn.

The QM5/6 Off Peak service thing reminds me...Their off peak service should be cut! I see these buses like every weekday & they have been running w/noting but air. I only see 2-3 people on it & that it. If the people want service to Manhattan they'll have to refer to the (Q46) to get to the train & take it from there.

The QM5/6 Off Peak service thing reminds me...Their off peak service should be cut! I see these buses like every weekday & they have been running w/noting but air. I only see 2-3 people on it & that it. If the people want service to Manhattan they'll have to refer to the (Q46) to get to the train & take it from there.

sort of there can be a way to increase ridership should policy change in terms of boarding and deboarding and a slight change for off peak service that is.

Archived