App That Would Guide Users Away From High-Crime Areas Proves Controversial

checkmatechamp13

far as this app goes.... I can imagine a roundtable discussion....

'Wouldn't it be great to avoid minority areas... Should we working class (white) citizens have to be subjected to SEEING and being NEAR such destitution... humpf...'

man, No one can convince me that the thought process behind the making of this app aint have a racial element/undertone to it.... and I still say it'll backfire b/c you're gonna have more pussies clogging up roads in their prissy little neighborhoods.... Won't be such a great idea then, now will it....

That's what happens when you think of short-sighted inventions like this....

lol... Well I find that you usually have to go through the crappy areas in order to get to the good ones usually. I mean in my case I have to pass Marble Hill and Kingsbridge to get to Riverdale. Granted we have our express buses, but I see that we make a few stops along the Riverdale border. Furthermore, the BxM1 makes a stop or two in Inwood and I have to admit we were all sort of looking when we made a stop there the last time I took the BxM1 to the city. I've only saw whites get on or off there but the area in general is run down.

Who gives a damn! I wish I would avoid an area just because of some stupid app or crime statistics. Live a little people. The population is turning into pussies. Then again, I'm from the hood, so the only thing that scares me is God, and I'll go through any hood at anytime. I wish I would live my life in fear of anything!

This app will be good for those that need it though. If I ever see someone using it I'll probably just laugh at them! Those are the types of people that automatically look out of place with big "dark red bullseyes" on their heads. Lmao! If you need the app, you shouldnt be in the hood anyway!

This. A thousand times this.

I could walk, hang through any damn hood as long as I kept my wits about me and being aware of my surroundings... Don't need any app to tell me what kind of neighborhood I just stepped into. ANYTHING can happen anywhere. Don't blame anyone else if you do look like a walking target for trouble!

lol... Well I find that you usually have to go through the crappy areas in order to get to the good ones usually. I mean in my case I have to pass Marble Hill and Kingsbridge to get to Riverdale. Granted we have our express buses, but I see that we make a few stops along the Riverdale border. Furthermore, the BxM1 makes a stop or two in Inwood and I have to admit we were all sort of looking when we made a stop there the last time I took the BxM1 to the city. I've only saw whites get on or off there but the area in general is run down.

Marble hill and Kingsbridge are not bad neighborhoods lol. I went to a park near there the other day, other than being stopped by NYPD I enjoyed my time there.

Marble hill and Kingsbridge are not bad neighborhoods lol. I went to a park near there the other day, other than being stopped by NYPD I enjoyed my time there.

LMAO... Well I don't plan on taking your word for that... I have no desire to "explore" those areas. There is plenty to see and do in Spuyten Duyvil and other parts of Riverdale. For what it's worth Kingsbridge and Marble Hill are seen as seedy for the most part, hence the lower rents when compared to the affluent and desirable Riverdale. We in Riverdale are separated by the hills, then we have Van Cortlandt Park on one side and the Hudson River on the other side so it's pretty safe. Very clean streets and we have the lowest crime in the borough. Hell, I don't even call Riverdale the Bronx. My address will say "Spuyten Duyvil, NY 10463" just to be clear that I'm not in Marble Hill or Kingsbridge since we share the same zip code for some odd reason. :( A few blocks up north though and I'd have the 10471 zip code which only applies to Riverdale.

It's common sense that some "good" areas will border "crappy" ones (I mean, unless they put a Berlin wall or some kind of no-mans-land between every single "good" and "crappy" area), but I don't think you can say that you "usually" have to pass through crappy areas to get to the good ones.

Essentially all of SI south of the SIE is perfectly fine (I mean, there may be an occasional small pocket that is 90% safe instead of 100% safe), and there are entire swaths of Brooklyn that are all fine. The same for Northeast Queens and a bunch of other areas.

Not to mention that "good" and "crappy" are all subjective, and it's not always cut-and-dry. Kingsbridge and Marble Hill may be "seedy", but they definitely aren't full-blown ghetto (and there are plenty of people who think it's perfectly fine).

Besides, even some "good" areas have their seedy sections. Here's a block in Brighton Beach:

3062 Brighton 3rd Street, New York, United States - Google Maps

But even in sections like these, I don't think Brighton Beach's crime rate was too high (it's kind of hard to come up with stats because it shares its precinct with Coney Island, which is more dangerous)

But even in sections like these, I don't think Brighton Beach's crime rate was too high (it's kind of hard to come up with stats because it shares its precinct with Coney Island, which is more dangerous)

I live within a few blocks from the Stillwell Avenue station towards Seagate. One thing I've noticed after 16 years of living there was markedly less trouble coinciding with redevelopment of the area. It used to be a lot worse, I tell you.

It's common sense that some "good" areas will border "crappy" ones (I mean, unless they put a Berlin wall or some kind of no-mans-land between every single "good" and "crappy" area), but I don't think you can say that you "usually" have to pass through crappy areas to get to the good ones.

Essentially all of SI south of the SIE is perfectly fine (I mean, there may be an occasional small pocket that is 90% safe instead of 100% safe), and there are entire swaths of Brooklyn that are all fine. The same for Northeast Queens and a bunch of other areas.

Not to mention that "good" and "crappy" are all subjective, and it's not always cut-and-dry. Kingsbridge and Marble Hill may be "seedy", but they definitely aren't full-blown ghetto (and there are plenty of people who think it's perfectly fine).

Besides, even some "good" areas have their seedy sections. Here's a block in Brighton Beach:

3062 Brighton 3rd Street, New York, United States - Google Maps

Well that's true to a degree on Staten Island. I mean you can avoid the crappy areas for the most part by taking the express bus, since the majority of the crappy areas are north of the SIE (Port Richmond, Mariner's Harbor, Graniteville, Stapleton and any of those areas with projects near by :eek:). In the Bronx, most of the good areas are in the Northern parts of the Bronx (i.e. Riverdale, Country Club, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, City Island and Throgs Neck), so you have to pass through the crappy areas to get to the nice ones. Most of Queens is pretty safe, with a few exceptions. Most of Southern Brooklyn is okay (Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Marine Park, Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, & Bath Beach) and you also have areas like Midwood and parts of Kensington that are nice as well. After that with some exceptions like parts of Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights, DUMBO, etc. it can be hit or miss. :eek:, so yeah it can vary I suppose. Of course most of Manhattan is fine below 96th street.

Anywho, as of tonight, my new residence is now in Spuyten Duyvil (Riverdale), so I'll start my countdown to moving from Staten Island. :cool: Not to worry though, Shop Rite is still on my radar and only a few express buses away. The deals there are worth the commute. :(

Well that's true to a degree on Staten Island. I mean you can avoid the crappy areas for the most part by taking the express bus, since the majority of the crappy areas are north of the SIE (Port Richmond, Mariner's Harbor, Graniteville, Stapleton and any of those areas with projects near by :eek:).

Anywho, as of tonight, my new residence is now in Spuyten Duyvil (Riverdale), so I'll start my countdown to moving from Staten Island. :cool: Not to worry though, Shop Rite is still on my radar and only a few express buses away. The deals there are worth the commute. :(

I'm through debating Mariners' Harbor but you've got to be kidding about Graniteville. I've walked around late at night and nothing has ever happened to me (depending on who you ask, Graniteville extends a few blocks south of the SIE, but I've been to the parts north of the SIE as well plenty of times with no incident). I have a friend who lives behind Western Beef, and I've visited him late at night without incident (actually, I have a few friends in that area, but he's the only one I've visited), and I've rode my bike plenty of times without feeling the least bit uncomfortable (there's a nice hill behind Western Beef and it's fun to ride down it). I've walked back from Forest Avenue/South Avenue at 23:00 (several times), again, without incident.

My mom generally gets uneasy feelings when she walks around sketchy areas, but she's walked down South Avenue (south of Forest Avenue) at 21:30 at night and didn't feel the least bit nervous, and if my mom feels that way, it's perfectly fine.

In any case, ShopRite's a cheapskate's paradise. The prices (both the regular and sale prices) are good and the food is high-quality. :tup:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but I've been wondering: Most streets named after MLK are in Black neighborhoods, but the MLK Expressway in SI doesn't really go through any Black neighborhoods.

South of Forest Avenue has always been majority White, and north of Forest Avenue has been predominantly White for many years, and has seen a large increase in the Hispanic population in recent years, but has never had a large Black population. The "Blackest" areas are just a few pockets that are maybe 25-30% Black, but it's far from being a Black neighborhood.

And here I thought this was a chappelle show skit, lol

Why would you need an app to tell you to stay way from bad neighborhoods. you just have to stay street smart. you can be in the safest neighborhoods and still get mugged.

i think its more for people driving in unknown areas than someone walking around. For example if I were driving around a city I wasn't familiar with, lets say Nashville cuz I've never been there. If I got off the highway to get gas or find a hotel or some place to eat, I would have no idea if I am about to get off into the ghetto or its a decent area.

i think its more for people driving in unknown areas than someone walking around. For example if I were driving around a city I wasn't familiar with, lets say Nashville cuz I've never been there. If I got off the highway to get gas or find a hotel or some place to eat, I would have no idea if I am about to get off into the ghetto or its a decent area.

Well, it could be useful for people on foot. I mean, you could have somebody who's unfamiliar with NYC and they're visiting the Bronx Zoo, and then suddenly they get lost, they'd know that they're going towards a rough neighborhood before they go too far. Or maybe somebody you have somebody who's visiting the UES, and then they know to avoid going too far north or they end up in East Harlem. Or somebody who's going to DUMBO and knows not to wander into the Farragut/Whitman/Ingersoll Houses.

• 1 month later...

I didn't really want to bump this, but I made a "safety map" for NYC. It's the first post in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1512972-nyc-safety-maps.html

I had already made one for Staten Island (you can thank VG8 for inspiring me with his rants about how all the "urban" neighborhoods on SI are so ghetto), and I decided to post it up on city-data as well (conveniently, around the same time somebody posted a thread about moving to Park Hill). Some other users asked me to make one for the other 4 boroughs, so I did (and of course, I allowed everybody to comment on it, since I only have experience with certain parts of NYC, mostly in SI and Brooklyn). There are still a few areas I'm unsure about (I'm not sure whether northern Harlem should be a red zone, for instance, and I think there are some more parts of SE Queens that should be unshaded, like Addesleigh Park), but I don't think there are any huge inaccuracies. I figured it is sort of relevant to this thread.

Anyway, feel free to comment.

LOL... You went through all of that... The truth stings huh... <_<

Eh, it didn't take that long. I think it took about 15-20 minutes per borough (obviously SI was the fastest since I know it like the back of my hand). It was actually a combination of things (that poster was asking about Park Hill, so I figured I'd make a map for Park Hill, and while I was at it, I figured I'd do all of SI)

As for that second comment, you just don't want to admit I'm right. B)

Did anyone see that episode of The Simpsons, where Principal Skinner is taking the kids on a field trip, and they get lost and Bart says "Cool, we're on the bad side of town". "And then Principal Skinner says, "No ii'm sure the neighborhood we're in is perfectly fin-GAHHH!!!! OH NO WERE AT THE CORNER OF MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD AND CESAR CHAVEZ WAY!

I tries to find a clip of it but I couldn't.

Did anyone see that episode of The Simpsons, where Principal Skinner is taking the kids on a field trip, and they get lost and Bart says "Cool, we're on the bad side of town". "And then Principal Skinner says, "No ii'm sure the neighborhood we're in is perfectly fin-GAHHH!!!! OH NO WERE AT THE CORNER OF MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD AND CESAR CHAVEZ WAY!

I tries to find a clip of it but I couldn't.

I remember one with a field trip, but they were going away so the stupid kids wouldn't pull down the test scores for the school.

I'll look for that clip too.

Eh, it didn't take that long. I think it took about 15-20 minutes per borough (obviously SI was the fastest since I know it like the back of my hand). It was actually a combination of things (that poster was asking about Park Hill, so I figured I'd make a map for Park Hill, and while I was at it, I figured I'd do all of SI)

As for that second comment, you just don't want to admit I'm right. B)

No it's that I don't go by stats for everything, I go by the vibe that I get from a neighborhood and Port Richmond and Mariner's Harbor scream DUMP. :ph34r:

No it's that I don't go by stats for everything, I go by the vibe that I get from a neighborhood and Port Richmond and Mariner's Harbor scream DUMP. :ph34r:

First of all, you can't even get stats that break down the crime rate for Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor. Why? Because they're all lumped into the 120th precinct and the stats are skewed by having areas like Westerleigh.

Second of all, crime is the one thing where I actually don't go by stats. I use stats for demographics, but not crime. I've walked there plenty of times and know exactly where the "dumpy" parts are, and where the parts that are alright are. Geez, you pass by on the X30 on Forest Avenue and you think that's really going to give you an accurate impression of the neighborhood?

I've lived in Brighton Beach, which you say was oh-so good and I could find places more run-down than Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor (at least the parts down by Forest Avenue). If southern Brooklyn is so good, explain to me why the houses here have bars on the window: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=124+Brighton+10th+Street,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Explain to me the boarded up home in this picture, and the vacant lot across the street: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3058+Brighton+3rd+Street,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'll even take a potshot at your old neighborhood: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=2676+East+12th+Street,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Now take this part of Mariners' Harbor: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=296+Netherland+Avenue,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

...and this part of Port Richmond: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=16+Trantor+Place,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'll even throw in a shot of Elm Park as a bonus: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=59+Wenlock+Street,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

And I've heard you mention Graniteville was pretty bad too, so I'll just throw in a shot of it while I'm at it: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=102+Birch+Road,+New+York,+United+States&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Note the lack of bars on the window in all of those pictures. I think that would give anybody a pretty good vibe, dont you think? (And the vibe comes from more than the lack of bars)

Now, are all parts of Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay like that? No. And not all parts of Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor are like the pictures I showed either. But for you to pass of the entire neighborhood based on a small segment you see is just wrong.

And for the record, I pass by those homes on a regular basis, especially the Trantor Place ones. So no, this has nothing to do with stats.

I didn't really want to bump this, but I made a "safety map" for NYC. It's the first post in this thread: http://www.city-data...afety-maps.html

I had already made one for Staten Island (you can thank VG8 for inspiring me with his rants about how all the "urban" neighborhoods on SI are so ghetto), and I decided to post it up on city-data as well (conveniently, around the same time somebody posted a thread about moving to Park Hill). Some other users asked me to make one for the other 4 boroughs, so I did (and of course, I allowed everybody to comment on it, since I only have experience with certain parts of NYC, mostly in SI and Brooklyn). There are still a few areas I'm unsure about (I'm not sure whether northern Harlem should be a red zone, for instance, and I think there are some more parts of SE Queens that should be unshaded, like Addesleigh Park), but I don't think there are any huge inaccuracies. I figured it is sort of relevant to this thread.

Anyway, feel free to comment.

C'mon man, you know better than this. If you go off of the NYPD's made-up crime statistics you're not gonna get anywhere, and all you're gonna end up with is something like white = safe and black = dangerous. You even say it, red/dangerous means 'hood.' You might as well put together a racial map of the city, cause we all know that's what they really want over on city-data.

Not to mention, some of these places, I mean, have you ever even been to East Harlem? It's not RED RED RED as your map puts it, not by a long shot. And you put Christopher st in the "seedy" color? And you did the same thing for West 4th street? Not to mention you basically say to avoid the entire Bronx... I don't even know where to start with the analysis. So I won't. Go back to my first paragraph and stay there.

C'mon man, you know better than this. If you go off of the NYPD's made-up crime statistics you're not gonna get anywhere, and all you're gonna end up with is something like white = safe and black = dangerous. You even say it, red/dangerous means 'hood.' You might as well put together a racial map of the city, cause we all know that's what they really want over on city-data.

Not to mention, some of these places, I mean, have you ever even been to East Harlem? It's not RED RED RED as your map puts it, not by a long shot. And you put Christopher st in the "seedy" color? And you did the same thing for West 4th street? Not to mention you basically say to avoid the entire Bronx... I don't even know where to start with the analysis. So I won't. Go back to my first paragraph and stay there.

If I went by crime statistics, the most dangerous neighborhood in the city would technically be East Midtown.

And believe me, there are a ton of racial maps available. No need to make another one. Besides, I already said I was especially iffy on Manhattan. Besides, the guy who helped me with it was from Arverne (and he lives across the street from a bunch of housing projects) so I assume he knows what he's talking about. A bunch of the posters are minorities and live in minority neighborhoods, so I would doubt there's bias in that regard.

First of all, you can't even get stats that break down the crime rate for Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor. Why? Because they're all lumped into the 120th precinct and the stats are skewed by having areas like Westerleigh.

Second of all, crime is the one thing where I actually don't go by stats. I use stats for demographics, but not crime. I've walked there plenty of times and know exactly where the "dumpy" parts are, and where the parts that are alright are. Geez, you pass by on the X30 on Forest Avenue and you think that's really going to give you an accurate impression of the neighborhood?

I've lived in Brighton Beach, which you say was oh-so good and I could find places more run-down than Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor (at least the parts down by Forest Avenue). If southern Brooklyn is so good, explain to me why the houses here have bars on the window: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Explain to me the boarded up home in this picture, and the vacant lot across the street: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'll even take a potshot at your old neighborhood: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Now take this part of Mariners' Harbor: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

...and this part of Port Richmond: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'll even throw in a shot of Elm Park as a bonus: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

And I've heard you mention Graniteville was pretty bad too, so I'll just throw in a shot of it while I'm at it: http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Note the lack of bars on the window in all of those pictures. I think that would give anybody a pretty good vibe, dont you think? (And the vibe comes from more than the lack of bars)

Now, are all parts of Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay like that? No. And not all parts of Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor are like the pictures I showed either. But for you to pass of the entire neighborhood based on a small segment you see is just wrong.

And for the record, I pass by those homes on a regular basis, especially the Trantor Place ones. So no, this has nothing to do with stats.

Well just to be clear, most folks know that Forest Avenue serves are the "borderline" for some areas between the good ones and the crappy ones and if Forest Avenue looks run down (which most of Forest Avenue going east of Jewett Avenue is quite nice) then that says something about the neighborhood. South of Forest Avenue for many neighborhoods on SI is generally better, so yeah I use Forest Avenue as a measuring point of how decent the area in general is. Like I said we've taken detours on the express bus before coming from South Avenue north of Forest Avenue and the place looked like some third world country.

@via i had a situation one time where some spanish peeps were behind me talking crap and i turned around and said "yeah you cant assume a black person doesnt know spanish" and boy the looks on they face.

lol... With me they're not sure. Yesterday I was in Washington Heights tutoring this Dominican kid and walking to his house I had all of these folks looking at me. I have even been saluted by Dominicans who just assume I'm Dominican. I also love to have fun with some Latinos when they start naming the possible countries that I could be from. lol Some Brazilians think I'm Brazilian too... In college I was thought of as being either Latino or Brazilian. Not sure why either. I guess my complexion and features and the way I dress as well...

Well just to be clear, most folks know that Forest Avenue serves are the "borderline" for some areas between the good ones and the crappy ones and if Forest Avenue looks run down (which most of Forest Avenue going east of Jewett Avenue is quite nice) then that says something about the neighborhood. South of Forest Avenue for many neighborhoods on SI is generally better, so yeah I use Forest Avenue as a measuring point of how decent the area in general is. Like I said we've taken detours on the express bus before coming from South Avenue north of Forest Avenue and the place looked like some third world country.

First of all, nothing on SI looks like a third-world country. When homes are made out of scrap metal, then you can start comparing it to a third-world country.

Second of all, there's a lot more to Mariners' Harbor than South Avenue. North of the tracks, it's Arlington, and in general north of the tracks is worse than south of them (and this applies throughout that whole area, not just along South Avenue). Aside from that, even south of the tracks, you're a block from the projects (but even then, it doesn't look bad). I've seen homes that look exactly like that in areas like Willowbrook.

And even Forest Avenue isn't that bad. I've seen little old ladies with shopping carts (little old White ladies I might add. ;) ) walking down Forest Avenue and they didn't seem intimidated at all.

Yeah, it doesn't look too great, but part of it is because it has a bunch of strip malls and things like that, but it doesn't have any trees growing along the street. I guarantee you that it would look better if they planted trees. And aside from that, remember when we were talking about filth on the subway and then then I compared a picture of Sheepshead Bay to a residential street in Mariners' Harbor. You said "Oh, well Sheepshead Bay Road is always dirty because it's a commercial strip". Well, it's the same thing here. Where else are they supposed to put the gas stations and auto shops and stores like Lowe's and all that other stuff? You really think they're going to put them down on some residential street?

And aside from that, I clearly remember you criticizing the area south of Forest Avenue as well. You kept on talking about how those condos by the last stop on the X30 were "mainly in a run-down area", even though they're almost a half-mile from Forest Avenue (and even earlier in this thread, you mentioned Graniteville was a "crappy area"): http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/32719-app-that-would-guide-users-away-from-high-crime-areas-proves-controversial/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=503884 You realize that if I went down a half-mile from Forest Avenue in Westerleigh, that would put me at Watchogue Road, right? Is Watchogue Road a small good pocket in "mainly a run-down area"? http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/24801-x30-out-of-meredith/?do=findComment&comment=355542

And in any case, you can't say there's anything wrong with the residential streets I showed you. In fact, if it makes you feel any different, the Trantor Place one had a bunch of NIMBYs who didn't want them to convert that park into a park-and-ride. Would a "dump" really have NIMBYs that are that influential?

Archived