Harlem River Dr vs Major Deegan Expressway

Via Garibaldi 8

Last night I took the BxM18 up to Riverdale and I noticed that we didn't take the Major Deegan Expressway as we have in the past. Instead, it looked like we took the Harlem River Drive shortly and then went up 10th Avenue to get to Kingsbridge and subsequently Riverdale.

Is it normal for the Bronx express buses to switch off of the different expressways and such when there is traffic? Coming back on the BxM2 we took the Major Deegan though. I'm also wondering how bad the expressways can get traffic wise in the mornings and at night heading up to the Bronx?

Last night I took the BxM18 up to Riverdale and I noticed that we didn't take the Major Deegan Expressway as we have in the past. Instead, it looked like we took the Harlem River Drive shortly and then went up 10th Avenue to get to Kingsbridge and subsequently Riverdale.

Is it normal for the Bronx express buses to switch off of the different expressways and such when there is traffic? Coming back on the BxM2 we took the Major Deegan though. I'm also wondering how bad the expressways can get traffic wise in the mornings and at night heading up to the Bronx?

I don't know about that easy.

I experience that on Bee-Line BxM4C when it was still $5.50. Manhattan-bound bus took MJD, University Heights Bridge/207th St, Broadway, Dyckman St, Harlem River Drive to 5th Av exit.

The riverdale expresses take all kinds of shortcuts when there are heavy delays on the deegan (bxm2,3,18) or on harlem river dr (bxm1)..... I rode the 18 sometime around early '10 that got stuck on the deegan, around under the cross bronx area (where traffic moves a bit slow at times anyway)... I remember hearing on the radio, notifying all express bus operators to take the shortcut (it didn't say "the shortcut", but it stated the actual roads it should take, of which I don't exactly remember, since it was two yrs. ago)... and I'm sittin there like, yeah great, what does that do for us since we're stuck in this mess..... we didn't get to broadway til almost 10pm...

In any event, it's not too common that buses switch travel patterns at a whim, but don't be surprised if it happens every now & then.... I'll tell you this though, the bxm1 is more delay prone than the 2 & the 18.... of the 3 routes, the 18 is the least delay prone, I find..... You'll come to find all this out, don't have to take my word for it.....

As far as harlem river drive vs. the deegan.... this may not mean much of anything to you, but it's either completely hit or miss w/ harlem river dr... in other words, either you're gonna coast along it for the duration, or get stuck in traffic to the point where vehicles are barely moving (especially heading NB).... traffic along the deegan you'll find, moves similar to that of the SIE....

The riverdale expresses take all kinds of shortcuts when there are heavy delays on the deegan (bxm2,3,18) or on harlem river dr (bxm1)..... I rode the 18 sometime around early '10 that got stuck on the deegan, around under the cross bronx area (where traffic moves a bit slow at times anyway)... I remember hearing on the radio, notifying all express bus operators to take the shortcut (it didn't say "the shortcut", but it stated the actual roads it should take, of which I don't exactly remember, since it was two yrs. ago)... and I'm sittin there like, yeah great, what does that do for us since we're stuck in this mess..... we didn't get to broadway til almost 10pm...

In any event, it's not too common that buses switch travel patterns at a whim, but don't be surprised if it happens every now & then.... I'll tell you this though, the bxm1 is more delay prone than the 2 & the 18.... of the 3 routes, the 18 is the least delay prone, I find..... You'll come to find all this out, don't have to take my word for it.....

As far as harlem river drive vs. the deegan.... this may not mean much of anything to you, but it's either completely hit or miss w/ harlem river dr... in other words, either you're gonna coast along it for the duration, or get stuck in traffic to the point where vehicles are barely moving (especially heading NB).... traffic along the deegan you'll find, moves similar to that of the SIE....

Hmm... This is good to know... And yes, I would agree that the BxM18 is pretty reliable and on time. I've used it several times now going up to Riverdale from work and it has been very prompt, which is rather surprising since it has to do deal with getting past Canal St from Downtown. So far I've only been really stuck in traffic bad once and that was last Friday. Otherwise, I get on at about 18:25 and am off by around 19:06 or so. About a 40 minute ride during rush hour, which isn't bad at all. Friday we didn't take any short cuts and as you said the Major Deegan was almost standing still for a while. I didn't get up there until almost 19:30.

The one thing I haven't decided on yet is whether to use the BxM1 or the BxM2 going to the office. The last BxM18 is too early for me and while I prefer the BxM2, I feel like the BxM1 may work better. Too soon to tell but going to the city, I've been using the BxM2 and have preferred it, but that was later on in the evening. I guess I'll just go back and forth between the two since they both come there by Henry Hudson Pkwy and 236th street around the same time. A part of me wishes the BxM2 ran straight down 5th and ended at 23rd, but I guess I'm getting too spoiled... LOL I mean quite frankly going home is breeze... I walk down hill to the apartment and I don't have to go over the overhead pass. Going to work though it's all up hill and then the stairs, so taking the BxM1 would mean another hill to the office. :P

The other thing I'm considering is taking the BxM2 and getting off at 81st and 5th and then taking a limited stop bus the rest of the way. I think I'm too far west to even bother with the BxM3, plus it makes too many stops further south in the Bronx anyway, so I think my first option (switching between the two may be my best bet).

What I have noticed is not that many people get on at 44th and Madison and the last stop on the BxM18, or rather it can vary, so perhaps more folks work close to the BxM1 and BxM2. I do notice that both are pretty well used going back to Riverdale in the evenings (after 21:00) and such when I pass them.

Same reason with Bee-Line BxM4C when I took during $5.50 days.

When there was Yankees game with heavey delay, B/O decided to use Harlem River Drive.

Another time, when I took Westchester County-bound, B/O decided to use local streets surrending Major Degan to near Yankees Stadium, then got on that expressway.

Same reason with Bee-Line BxM4C when I took during $5.50 days.

When there was Yankees game with heavey delay, B/O decided to use Harlem River Drive.

Another time, when I took Westchester County-bound, B/O decided to use local streets surrending Major Degan to near Yankees Stadium, then got on that expressway.

Should be interesting to see what happens when Bus Time comes to the Bronx...

What I have noticed is not that many people get on at 44th and Madison and the last stop on the BxM18, or rather it can vary, so perhaps more folks work close to the BxM1 and BxM2. I do notice that both are pretty well used going back to Riverdale in the evenings (after 21:00) and such when I pass them.

I still haven

Do a lot of people use the express bus transfer in midtown from the BxM18?

The other thing I'm considering is taking the BxM2 and getting off at 81st and 5th and then taking a limited stop bus the rest of the way. I think I'm too far west to even bother with the BxM3, plus it makes too many stops further south in the Bronx anyway, so I think my first option (switching between the two may be my best bet).

I still haven

I think the BxM3 has a few trips that bypass the southern stops in the AM rush, though I'm not sure when they operate (and I can't open PDFs to check the schedule)

And the BxM2 to 5th Avenue/81st Street might be a good idea, and if there's an express stop nearby, maybe you can transfer to another express bus to complete your trip, assuming the driver lets you on (and considering the frequency of the express buses, there's a chance that could happen)

By the way, what's up with your last sentence? Are you turning into me with posting before you finished the post? :P

Do a lot of people use the express bus transfer in midtown from the BxM18?

I can't say because I get on the BxM18 at Madison & 44th in front of the (MTA) building. The transfer point is at 26th & Madison for any Bronx folks that need other routes, though apparently there is another transfer point at 56th & Madison. I have no idea why either... :confused:

From my observations, there are the regulars, but even they don't take the same bus every day. I get the feeling that many folks have to work in the office late like myself, which is nice because quite frankly, that was the one thing that irked me about living in West Brighton. You never see anybody working late ever. Some are semi-retired or work at night, but it is a nice change of pace to see folks like myself who do have to stay in the office late, hence the late service on the BxM18.

I get the feeling that some do use the transfers, but I also get the feeling that there is a decent Downtown base of folks particularly from my neighborhood in Spuyten Duyvil. There's a guy who looks he works down at NYSE (has a NYSE bag a looks like a trader type :P) and he gets off at the first or the second stop there along Kappock St. The bus empties out quite a bit actually at the first 3 or so stops, so by the time we reach my stop there by Henry Hudson Pkwy and 235th street, there sometimes aren't that many people left, but that fluctuates. Yesterday evening there was still a sizable amount of folks on the bus when I got off heading further into Riverdale. There is also a mix of older middle aged folks and a few young folks my age, which is another change from the usual express buses I take on Staten Island, which usually consists of older folks with the occasional young folks riding depending on the route. Riverdale is known for its older population, but you also have a nice mix of college folks here, plus young working professionals like myself moving it, so it creates a nice mix of educated folks. It's esp. encouraging because many places in Riverdale have strict income requirements, meaning that you have to make "X" dollars to rent an apartment, have good credit and financials overall, which many young folks can lack when they're just starting out.

We get a few stragglers that get off there in Kingsbridge, but many (maybe 4 tops at the three or so combined stops), so the ridership is pretty solid in terms of it coming mainly from Riverdale. The fact that the economy is bad right now (even in Riverdale w/many condos and apartments vacant) with a still rather solid ridership base on the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 shows the wealth of Riverdale IMO. I mean with so many condos and apartment buildings even in an economy like this you'll still have folks using our express buses up there and I think another reason for that is folks don't mind using public transportation up there, since many of them come from the Upper East Side, an area know to use its public transportation. Another thing I like about the area... No more seeing people running to their cars like on Staten Island. People like to walk and go for walks in Riverdale, which is more of my style and I also notice that there aren't tons of folks smoking all about either.

Slightly off-topic, I wish NICE could have bus time also with problem with missing runs, buses running late due to breakdown issue as PinePower stated.

Lots of M34/M34A SBS Riders doesn't know about bus time.

Yeah well I had a lady ask me what time the X12 was coming this morning and I told her that there was a schedule right next to her since she was standing at the bus stop. :mad: She gave me a sarcastic "thank you" and proceeded to look around and eventually asked another woman. I mean what do I look like, a friggin' information booth? I guess she assumed that I was a regular, which of late I have been on the X12s going to and from the office. My feeling is that only some folks are using Bus Time, particularly the younger population and more so the express bus riders. I've talked with a regulars about Bus Time and all of them have loved it so far. It all depends on how technologically savvy some folks are if they have good Smartphones.

I think the BxM3 has a few trips that bypass the southern stops in the AM rush, though I'm not sure when they operate (and I can't open PDFs to check the schedule)

Yeah I looked at that. I would have to take the Bx10 over (which meanders about too much) to the BxM3 or schlepp over to Kingsbridge and get it. I'm almost dead smack in between Henry Hudson Pkwy and Riverdale Ave so the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 are much more convenient for me to get to. I can certainly see the need for the BxM3 as it serves Kingsbridge better and the eastern portion of Riverdale. Considering that I live on a hill and all of the hills around me the only time I may use the BxM3 is going back to Riverdale where I can get off at 80th and Madison and catch the BxM2 to my stop. Going to the city though that set up won't work.

And the BxM2 to 5th Avenue/81st Street might be a good idea, and if there's an express stop nearby, maybe you can transfer to another express bus to complete your trip, assuming the driver lets you on (and considering the frequency of the express buses, there's a chance that could happen)

By the way, what's up with your last sentence? Are you turning into me with posting before you finished the post? ;)

Yeah I'll probably try that. That set up could work good sometimes when it's hot I don't feel like schlepping up the hills coming off of the BxM1. Once Bus Time arrives to Manhattan and the Bronx I can time things perfectly. :cool:

As for my last sentence, I added a thought further up and apparently forgot to delete that last part. Corrected that now... :(

Just on the topic of traffic-based detours, any of you ever taken an M20 during rush hour? It's one of the more godawful experiences in the bus system, but the upside is the detour that you get. On Hudson/Varick the bus goes express and doesn't stop from Christopher to Canal street due to traffic, and I've even heard of taking the West Side Highway if the traffic is particularly bad. I thought it was just one op I've had, but apparently that's just protocol now and the dispatchers look the other way, since otherwise the schedule is hopeless.

lol... Should be interesting when Bus Time comes into play. That route is terrible though. It's so slow from Midtown down to Chelsea that I avoid taking it since it comes whenever it wants. Better to use the M7 if you can. I wonder if that'll be a route that the (MTA) will try to cut in the future. Speaking of 20s, can anyone tell me about the Bx20?? What exactly is its purpose? Seems like it serves mainly my portion of Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil) and ends in sort of no mans land?? :confused:

lol... Should be interesting when Bus Time comes into play. That route is terrible though. It's so slow from Midtown down to Chelsea that I avoid taking it since it comes whenever it wants. Better to use the M7 if you can. I wonder if that'll be a route that the (MTA) will try to cut in the future. Speaking of 20s, can anyone tell me about the Bx20?? What exactly is its purpose? Seems like it serves mainly my portion of Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil) and ends in sort of no mans land?? :confused:

Bx20 is there so people from Johnson Avenue area and nearby can get the (A) train, since the Bx10 doesn't go to Manhattan.

Bx20 is there so people from Johnson Avenue area and nearby can get the (A) train, since the Bx10 doesn't go to Manhattan.

I see... Makes sense... I mean I'm right by Johnson Avenue and that's really where the bulk of riders come from anyway from what I can see, so need for it to go to 263rd street.

Just on the topic of traffic-based detours, any of you ever taken an M20 during rush hour? It's one of the more godawful experiences in the bus system, but the upside is the detour that you get. On Hudson/Varick the bus goes express and doesn't stop from Christopher to Canal street due to traffic, and I've even heard of taking the West Side Highway if the traffic is particularly bad. I thought it was just one op I've had, but apparently that's just protocol now and the dispatchers look the other way, since otherwise the schedule is hopeless.

Then it should become official routing cause it always does that routing anyway. Now you know why I avoid Manhattan locals like the plague they are useless if you have to get somewhere at a certain time. M20 is one of those buses you just don't even bother using cause it is completely useless. Like via 8 said it comes when it wants. Then it's slower than subway it's completely worthless. I see several M20s with no one on em.

VG8. wait until the Yankee baseball season returns and we get into summer. It's normal for Bronx-bound BXM buses to use the Harlem River or in case of the BXM3 in rare cases also the Grand Concourse as well.

Ugh please don't remind me.....on game days our guys go out to Tappan Zee via the GSP. It sounds like it's out the way but it's usually a quiet ride. VG8 won't like those afternoons/evenings when it's a hour delay on the Deegan just to get past Yankee Stadium and the GWB!

Both the HRD and I87 Deegan always suffer with traffic, regardless of which way it runs. Many of the traffic is heading via Trans-Manhattan Expressway (I95 / US1-9) to Jersey. Thanks to the city not building the Mid-Manhattan Expressway (I495) :P........

I see some M98s rerouted via St. Nicholas avenue same for Express buses, since its some what faster.

Now, when the Game season starts for the Yankees, get ready for much more traffic and reroutes.

Ugh please don't remind me.....on game days our guys go out to Tappan Zee via the GSP. It sounds like it's out the way but it's usually a quiet ride. VG8 won't like those afternoons/evenings when it's a hour delay on the Deegan just to get past Yankee Stadium and the GWB!

With temp at or near record temps of the low 60's (today 2/1/12)that actually would be what you would hope for weather for the Yankees on opening day. lol.:eek:

With temp at or near record temps of the low 60's (today 2/1/12)that actually would be what you would hope for weather for the Yankees on opening day. lol.:eek:

That is a problem we literally did NOT have real winter weather this year in NYC the global warming has gotten very bad now it worries me.

At game days now you know why I had busway ideas look how practical they seem now. This crippling traffic and the reason why GWB CUSA routes should extend to LGA via astoria (N) and some to jamacia LIRR(off-peak and reverse) Northbound in AM and southbound PM beyond to LIRR OR just stay at LGA. Let LGA to LIRR be MTA's problem. I think LGA would make a better terminal than GWB. NYC should have a busway network for express lines to augment the subway.

I see... Makes sense... I mean I'm right by Johnson Avenue and that's really where the bulk of riders come from anyway from what I can see, so need for it to go to 263rd street.

The Bx7 covers the riders in northern Riverdale trying to catch the (A) and it's more direct than the Bx20, so yeah, it would be pointless to send it all the way up to 263rd Street.

Plus, it's probably not something the MTA really intended, but it probably helps alleviate crowding in case the Bx10 is delayed (which I guess is another reason not to send it up to 263rd Street, though I doubt there's much traffic to delay it in that area)

The Bx7 covers the riders in northern Riverdale trying to catch the (A) and it's more direct than the Bx20, so yeah, it would be pointless to send it all the way up to 263rd Street.

Plus, it's probably not something the MTA really intended, but it probably helps alleviate crowding in case the Bx10 is delayed (which I guess is another reason not to send it up to 263rd Street, though I doubt there's much traffic to delay it in that area)

I don't see the point of the bx20 it duplicates other lines. Plus the 7 also takes you to GWB for NJT too.

Then it should become official routing cause it always does that routing anyway. Now you know why I avoid Manhattan locals like the plague they are useless if you have to get somewhere at a certain time. M20 is one of those buses you just don't even bother using cause it is completely useless. Like via 8 said it comes when it wants. Then it's slower than subway it's completely worthless. I see several M20s with no one on em.

You just relish any opportunity to slam buses... lol

VG8. wait until the Yankee baseball season returns and we get into summer. It's normal for Bronx-bound BXM buses to use the Harlem River or in case of the BXM3 in rare cases also the Grand Concourse as well.

I've always heard of it being like a parking lot during the Yankees' games. My co-worker would complain when he would use the BxM10... Now I know what he was referring about. So basically the Yanks got a new stadium with next to little transit/traffic improvements?? :P They got the Yanks to make some community improvements, but why not road improvements?? I also think that the (MTA) should run extra service during Yankee games. Around the time when the ballpark opened, my buddy Diego invited me to a game that same day and I left my office and went to Grand Central and it was a mob scene. The (4)(5)(6) platform was unbearable. I went and took the (7) over to the (D) and went up that way. It was a tad better that way, but still plenty of folks going to the game that way too. Coming back I got a ride back, but I would imagine that a similar crazed scene existed. :eek:

VG8 could always just take the Metro North or (1) train on game days.

Or (A) > BX7.

I would probably just stick w/the express bus and if I noticed that it was really bad then I would go to MetroNorth. To be honest, the (MTA) should have a cross honor system where express bus riders can use MetroNorth during heavily congested days when the Yankees are playing and allow folks to just pay the difference in price.

Archived