Abandoned/Unused Entrances and Passageways

vanshnookenraggen

I want to make this thread about all abandoned/unused passageways (not tracks or stations) but I do have a specific question regarding W4th St station.

I was walking through the mezzanine and I noticed a door on the west side which was open and workers bringing in supplies (this was during the Fast Track work). When I looked in I noticed a completely tiled passageway leading to a double set of stairs which lead up to a single set (like many other 6th Ave stations have leading to the street). I could see day light and when I got to the surface I found at Washington Pl a nondescript grate had been opened and there was, again, a set of tiled stairs leading down.

Now I've seen those yellow emergency exit grates before. When opened it is usually just a plain concrete stairway down. This was different, this was clearly built the same as every other stairway used by the public.

I've done a search but only on NYCSubway.org did I find even a mention of the possibility of such a passageway.

Does anyone know more about this? It would make a lot of sense to build an entrance connection to the mezzanine and I'm surprised there isn't one already (though I do understand most people use the station just to transfer).

This just about covers the abandoned section of the NYC subway.

Abandoned Stations

Theres another one at woodhaven Blvd on QBL. If you go to the Manhattan bound staircase furthest away from the main entrance, you will notice a vent-type thing on the wall. The only way to see it is by sticking your camera in there. I did it and it revealed a conrete floor and tiled wall with a set of staircases further on. There was stuff stored in there, some lockers and stuff. I bet that exit went to Slattery Plaza when it was still there. Once Slattery plaza closed, so did that exit.

There are many places there were entrances & exits at one time. At one time, a subway entrance in/near your building WAS desirable & the building often paid a fee to maintain the entrance. If you go to the 155ST SB plat of the C, you'll see there was an entrance there. There is a section of slanted tiles near the corner that runs into the walled staircase, and the storm drain across the stair bottom has been filled in, and only a small grate opening remains against the back wall..

Those of us who have lived near or have utilized the Nostrand Ave- Fulton (A),(C) station over the last half century can bear witness to the shrinking access to a station. There WAS an entrance and a crossover at the Bedford Avenue (north)end of the upper (express) platforms. Midway in the station on the Manhattan- bound express platform was a gated off area with signage for an exit at Arlington Place. I remember the Bedford Ave entrance and crossover being closed for " safety" reasons. I would also point out the sealed entrances at the n/b end of the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum (2),(3) station. For those " in the know" back in the day those entrances were the ones to use if your destination was the Grand Army Plaza library branch at Flatbush Ave and Eastern Parkway. The IRT Grand Army Plaza station itself is quite distant, and a dangerous walk for library patrons. The station, Grand Army, was named for the monument located nearby, although I'd venture a guess that most people associate the name with the library and not the statue. IIRC the entrance/exits at the museum station were also closed for "safety" reasons.

It was around the mid 1989-1994 time frame that they started making things smaller.

THey took away the 17th street exit and entrance on 14th st.

In that video before the stairs, that wall wasn't there years ago.

Union Sq was wider on the R Q N line, 42nd st was also on 8th ave.

The same way how they made 59th on 8th ave smaller again.

Bway and Layfayette was big too going to the 6 train.

Waste of money and time. more dust in the stations.

If you go to the South west corner you can see they put back (or ) opened the exit entrance that was there.

I watched them digged the hole and was surprise to see the entrance.

S/F,

CEYA!

Hopefully this dosen't turn into a 76 Street Sta thread we had a while back. Someone got banned over that.

Who? Also If anyone's been to Grand Central after you take the escalators at the far side of the (7) platform, you climb to the top and you see a block out staircase. Just curious but was that a former exit, close up.

One can go on for days about unused exits, but here's a few more...

-At Bway Jct on the Manhattan-bound (J) platform, there is a staircase (and mezzanine) that goes down to Eastern Pkwy (hence why the original name of the station was Eastern Pkwy

-Flushing Av on the (G) has signs poing to a Walton ST exit which closed years ago

-Myrtle-Willoughby (also on the (G)) has the Willoughby exit closed off but its atill visible

-Franklin Av on the (C) once had an exit (and possibly crossover) that led to Classon Av at the other end of the station

-Ralph Av has an exit to Howard Av at the other end but that closed in the 80s. If you stand on the mezzanine, you can see all the way down to the other end.

-Before the station renovations, Beach 98 St had a staircase that led to Beach 97 St from the platform that was closed for ages

-45 St on the (R) has hints that there may have been an entrance/exit at 46 St

-Junius St on the (3) used to have an entrance/exit which actually led to Junius St

Here's some more from along the 8 Av line...

-116 St once had an exit to 118 St

-103 St had exits to both 102 & 104 Sts (you can still see the old direction signs)

-96 St had an exit to 95 St (you can still see the old direction signs and the boarded up exit)

-72 St had an exit to 71 St (the staircase between the 2 platforms is the only visible part of it)

-50 St had exits to 51 St (upper level only) and 52 St (both levels). At the nmorth end of the station, you can still see wall tiles that point to 52 St, and on the uptown upper level platform you can still see the exit if you look through a hole in the false wall

-There was once a 2nd crossunder at 23 St up on the other end of the platform but it was closed in favor of the staffed 23 St end.

-At 14 St, there is indeed a passageway that leads to 14 St & 7 Av but its been somewhat disconnected when they installed the elevator and staircase that leads to the (L) platform

Knew almost all of this, touched up others from off Wikipedia

Essex has an old exit next to the tower in the trolley terminal area. This can be seen from the station. I've gone up the old stairs to the street, which is now a trap door.

There also used to be some sort of stairway from the eastern end of the middle platform. They sealed it off, and then built a trash room in front of it, but you can see the underside of the stairs behind it, on the bridge approach.

Bway-Laf also has some old exit on the SW corner.

50th Street on the (C)(E) has a closed entrance, complete with old sign and neighborhood map

Photos by Welcome to the SubwayNut [www.subwaynut.com]

50 Street (C,E) Uptown Side - The SubwayNut

50c_uptown8.jpg

I assume the white tiles are walling off the old exit?

• 2 weeks later...

50th Street on the ©(E) has a closed entrance, complete with old sign and neighborhood map

Photos by Welcome to the SubwayNut [www.subwaynut.com]

50 Street (C,E) Uptown Side - The SubwayNut

50c_uptown8.jpg

I passed by this entrance today and it's sealed off with a full metal gate so you can't see anything at all. It just looks like a closed store. I wonder how long it's been like that? I used to pass by this entrance daily and it always had the chain link fencing,

I passed by this entrance today and it's sealed off with a full metal gate so you can't see anything at all. It just looks like a closed store. I wonder how long it's been like that? I used to pass by this entrance daily and it always had the chain link fencing,

Sep 7,8 2010

Archived