5 Express Train to Crown Heights-Utica Ave.

East New York

Tonight I hopped aboard the last Brooklyn bound (5) train from 125th St., and noticed the LED indicator read Utica Av, and the strip map ended at Franklin Av.

Does this happen often? I have never know for a (5) train to be re-routed up Eastern Parkway. Needless to say, when we got to Franklyn, half the train transfered to the (2) and we were packed in like sardines.

Tonight I hopped aboard the last Brooklyn bound (5) train from 125th St., and noticed the LED indicator read Utica Av, and the strip map ended at Franklin Av.

Does this happen often? I have never know for a (5) train to be re-routed up Eastern Parkway. Needless to say, when we got to Franklyn, half the train transfered to the (2) and we were packed in like sardines.

It does sometimes head to either Crow heights or New Lots avenue (about 1 to 2 trips a day) so that it can it head to Livonia yard.

Some (5) trains go to Crown Heights (and some (2)s to New Lots) because Flatbush can't handle so many trains. Liviona Yard access is another reason.

Hit the nail on the head buddy. And off topic for second welcome back NX.:cool:

I think all Brooklyn Bound (5)'s and also a select # of (2) and (4)at end of PM rush appx. 8-9;30pm are also re-routed and send to either Utica or New Lots and then sent to the Liviona yards. It been done for years.

It's also the same thing that was done to the now old (W) line Brooklyn bound at end of the day weeknights. Between appx. 830-10pm(last few trains)all (W) was extended from Whitehall to 86th Street-Gravesend on the (N) so it go direct to the CI Yards running on both the (R) and later the (N) as 4th Ave Local.

Yes.....

Too many 5's head to Utica during the PM peak if you ask me....

when I used to take the 2 train home, it would meet up w/ the 5 @ nevins more often than not.... I'd look to xfer, since the 2 train I'd be on, be so crowded... look at the signage, and see crown heights utica av.... at that point I'm like great, just great.... those 5's would be rather empty too....

When I had to take the (3) home after 7pm and get to Franklin around 7:30pm, I would see a bunch of near empty (5)s to Utica. It pissed me off seeing those trains empty rather than to run to Franklin with the (2) late and overcrowded. I was so happy when the (5) ran to Flatbush more hours than it used to. It's a huge help for the (2). The (5) tends to be less crowded and more reliable than the (2).

The <5> is back!!!

Anyways about the strip map, it happens not so often. The only time I can recall is the (2) via the (5) [Lexington Av.] and the (5) via the (2) [7 Av.]. I think they should have put electronic strip maps into the R188s. It could solve problems like this. The R160s have them and they will be put to good use since the 8 Av. (A)(E) are running via the 6 Av. (F).

On the (4), they wrote the strip map all the way to New Lots Avenue, good move by the (NYCT). They also put all the Local stops in for the (2)(4)(5)(6) and <6> on their lines respectively (Eastern Pwky., Lex. Av., 7 Av./Bway, Bronx), also smart.

The <5> is back!!!

Anyways about the strip map, it happens not so often. The only time I can recall is the (2) via the (5) [Lexington Av.] and the (5) via the (2) [7 Av.]. I think they should have put electronic strip maps into the R188s. It could solve problems like this. The R160s have them and they will be put to good use since the 8 Av. (A)(E) are running via the 6 Av. (F).

On the (4), they wrote the strip map all the way to New Lots Avenue, good move by the (NYCT). They also put all the Local stops in for the (2)(4)(5)(6) and <6> on their lines respectively (Eastern Pwky., Lex. Av., 7 Av./Bway, Bronx), also smart.

R188s at the moment are exclusive to the (7), so a strip map is good enough. The total amount of stops the (4) make is very few compared to the other lines and there was plenty of room for the New Lots stops to be displayed.

On the (2) the local 7 Av stops aren't shown...

I think it would make the map too long and would barely fit all the lights (that represents the stops).

Its that last (5) train of the night that goes into Brooklyn so it ends @ Crown Heights-Utica Avenue so yes it happens often....they will send the (5) to New Lots Avenue sometimes!

It does sometimes head to either Crow heights or New Lots avenue (about 1 to 2 trips a day) so that it can it head to Livonia yard.

It happens more then 1-2. Its AM and PM Rush hours. Usually the first and last set of trips. Same for coming out of Utica.

11 Trips North (AM/PM Combined)

7 Trips South (AM/PM Combined)

As per Timetable and witnessing a lot of them.

The (2) and (4) to New Lots is another.

The <5> is back!!!

What are you talking about, the (5) [Non-diamond] has always been here.

Thanks guys. Everytime I get a (5) it's always going to Flatbush, so I never knew anything about this until tonight.

Too bad it isn't a 4 track line. We really need express service between Franklin and Flatbush Av. Last week I was on a (2) train that only stopped at Church, and Flatbush Avs south of Prsident. I was really digging that!:cool:

Thanks guys. Everytime I get a (5) it's always going to Flatbush, so I never knew anything about this until tonight.

Too bad it isn't a 4 track line. We really need express service between Franklin and Flatbush Av. Last week I was on a (2) train that only stopped at Church, and Flatbush Avs south of Prsident. I was really digging that!:cool:

It would be awesome, but this line was pretty originally meant to head to Kings Plaza. But didn't happened.

The ONLY thing they can do is create a skip-stop service, but if its worth it and if the line is very heavy during service.

I guess it could be possible to have an express under Nostrand, but I dunno if the land can support another level below the existing one.

When trains have to do battery runs, Church and President st are the only stops made while all else is bypassed. Ideally those would be the only stops such an express would make.

It would be awesome, but this line was pretty originally meant to head to Kings Plaza. But didn't happened.

The ONLY thing they can do is create a skip-stop service, but if its worth it and if the line is very heavy during service.

I don't think there should be skip stop, frequencies although not great are fairly close. I think the point of skip stop is because there was a wide enough gap b/w trains. Basically 'do more with less', at least that's what I think.

I would love it if the line was sent down Flatbush Av. It would be a huge help for the B41 south of Nostrand.

I guess it could be possible to have an express under Nostrand, but I dunno if the land can support another level below the existing one.

When trains have to do battery runs, Church and President st are the only stops made while all else is bypassed. Ideally those would be the only stops such an express would make.

I would love it if the line was sent down Flatbush Av. It would be a huge help for the B41 south of Nostrand.

I thought of that as well. It would branch off right near Grand Army Plaza, run under or next to the Brighton Line tracks which are under there at that point, and then continue down to the Junction. Stations could include Prospect Park/Empire/Lefferts (would by that time be east of the Brighton line station), and Church. (I would like a Clarendon/Dorchester station, since that pocket is the furthest from either train line, and also always skipped by the LTD buses). But then, this would be a totally separate line, and its stations would have to be open and served by a separate line at all times.

As for the Eastern Parkway runs, I worked over there 4½ years ago, and the conga line is horrible with the (2)'s and (5)'s backing up the (3)'s. It looks almost like regular service that should be shown on the map; there are so many of them.

So I had sent in a suggestion of installing the express track from Utica to Junius, and then rebuilding what is now the scrap rail yard, and allowing the (2)'s and (5)'s to access the flyover and use that, and the exp. track would be what they wait on, out of the way of the (3)'s.

This would also free up space in Livonia for more (3)'s and (4)'s, and the new yard would probably be able to hold more (2)'s and (5)'s, so that Brooklyn would be able to have better early AM service (heading uptown to Lenox or 242 in those days, it was horrible the way you had almost full daytime service (expresses, tighter headways) heading downtown, while uptown was still basically midnight service. Uptown/The Bronx basically has a yard for each line, while Brooklyn has only that one yard for all the expresses, so you essentially have to wait for all the downtown traffic to come back from Brooklyn).

But they don't want to spend the money on something like that. Even without the yard, the exp. track would really eliminate the conga line.

When meant "under Flatbush, he meant the portion from the junction to Kings Plaza, the part from Grand Army to the junction is close enough to the (Q) up to about Beverly (then Flatbush curves away). But I do get what you mean, a one seat ride joining all of both West Indian areas of the city and almost no walk at all to midtown.

If the (2)/(5) ever get extended south of the Junction, I wonder how long it will take to travel from The Junction to Kings Plaza or Sheephead Bay? These lines are already pretty long.

If it ever happens I hope they build it like 179th Street on the (F) which is the GOAT terminal, the trains can haul ass in the station like a regular stop and there's lots of storage tracks east of that station.

I would imagine at some point if they want to really expand the subway system, they will have to start adding new trunk lines in Mantthan (Like on 3rd Ave), as I would imagine there isn't much capacity left in the current ones lol.

Like for example, if the build the Utica Ave subway.... no room in the (A)/© tubes for another train line, no room on the IRT, NIMBY won't allow it to connect for the (J) line...

I'm gonna assume they would just extend the (4) line down Utica Ave?

Archived