Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

....The Q59 these past few years has started becoming a total annoyance to use; no matter what time of day (or day of the week) it is, I cannot catch a break with its reliability problems. If its not BO's playing games, it's the no shows followed by bunched and late buses. Just a few days ago, I waited for the Q59 for 55 minutes after missing one, and then one not being a no show. That was also during the evening, in the day it's worse too. I never saw it to be this bad until about two years ago.....

...Which is why I used to smh when I would read certain posts of yours defending of the route.

And esp. at Mr. ALL OF THE CURRENT Q59 RIDERS that wanted to make a pissing contest out of who's proposal was "superior"...

The only real good I ever saw in the Q59 is that it assists the Q58 & that it serves industrial maspeth on the other side of the tracks....

I was glad when the assignment I had in Maspeth was over with, for that reason alone (I actually liked the people there & developed an even stronger empathy for blue collar workers in general).... No way I would put up with the B46 to the Q59 these days, with the 46 being all local to WBP on top of dealing with epic waits/no shows on the Q59 (this include layover times at WBP btw)... Oh hell no.....

I think the route should be blown the hell up.... Only question I have (for myself) is how to, on the Queens end exactly.

The Q58 is a big boy than can handle 'mself (that to mean, it has the service & the ridership to sustain itself)...

The Q59 helps, but it is not needed along Grand (av)..... The Q59 is one of the most supplementary routes in the entire system.

And this is the similar solution for Q38, just like splitting M5, into 5 and 55 along their route.

Just note that:

Splitting the Q38 won't quell any runtime concerns, like there was with the M5....

Splitting the Q38 is an attempt at eradicating antiquation....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would seriously send the Q7 to the Post Office in JFK... it doesn't have to run down Rockaway

It can go around the back... 150th to 148th

148th to North Boundary Rd... North Boundary to The Post Office

It can still go thru the Cargo Area...

Q7 Post Office via Cargo Area

What is the Q7 doing in JFK in the first place? I would just take it out completely and terminate it on 147th street and 150th Ave.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

I would extend Q52 to at least 74 St/Jackson Heights, just to mirror the Q53. Sometimes, the lines for the Q53 at 74 St are so long, it takes 3 buses to clear the line out.

That may be because of late buses. Buses bunch a lot, and therefore, there will be a lot more people than normal at the bus stop when the bus(es) finally arrive. 

On a sidenote, have crowds at Grand Avenue (southbound) for the Q53 really decreased?. I remember that they used to be really long at times, but relatively busy. I've passed by a few times in the last year or so, and I haven't seen them too busy. 

That may be because of late buses. Buses bunch a lot, and therefore, there will be a lot more people than normal at the bus stop when the bus(es) finally arrive. 

Oh, I see. That bus bunching is also a huge problem on the Q38 that I take daily.

If bus bunching is going to keep happening, the MTA should add articulated buses to the Q53. I know, it'll never happen without SBS, but that type of thing is a huge PITA for bus riders all around the city. At least the Q53 has a sister route that could help out during weekdays.

Oh, I see. That bus bunching is also a huge problem on the Q38 that I take daily.

If bus bunching is going to keep happening, the MTA should add articulated buses to the Q53. I know, it'll never happen without SBS, but that type of thing is a huge PITA for bus riders all around the city. At least the Q53 has a sister route that could help out during weekdays.

If you're referring to the Q52, that runs 7 days per week.

The thing with extending the Q52 to 74th Street is that if there's a problem along Broadway, now you have no limited-stop buses waiting at Hoffman Drive. Granted, you still have the Q11/21, but I think it's alright as-is to have the Q52 operate as the short-turn version of the Q53 and only run as far as the subway & QCM.

If you're referring to the Q52, that runs 7 days per week.

The thing with extending the Q52 to 74th Street is that if there's a problem along Broadway, now you have no limited-stop buses waiting at Hoffman Drive. Granted, you still have the Q11/21, but I think it's alright as-is to have the Q52 operate as the short-turn version of the Q53 and only run as far as the subway & QCM.

I see your point about Hoffman Drive layovers. When I meant that the Q52 can help on weekdays, I was saying that crowding isn't as bad on weekends. Sure, there's crowds, but it's not the four-buses-long crowds seen during the PM peak.

I guess extending the Q52 is a little unnecessary, since the Q53 makes all the Q52 stops except in the Rockaways. At the very least though, the Q53 needs better service.

I would extend Q52 to at least 74 St/Jackson Heights, just to mirror the Q53. Sometimes, the lines for the Q53 at 74 St are so long, it takes 3 buses to clear the line out.

I'd rather have the Q52 stay as a short turn of the Q53, Woodhaven is more important than Broadway, and when Q53 bunches up like always the Q52 can usually help balance things out a little. However extending it to Jackson heights or Woodside, would result in the same reliability the current Q53 has right now. Now I know first hand that I would love to have the Q52 extended to Jackson heights, especially on days with severe overcrowding and bunching on Broadway. But knowing how bad Broadway gets, it hurts Limited Service on Woodhaven more than it helps those on Broadway.

I would extend it to Woodside so that the routes can interline and service can be switched from one to the other depending on what's needed in the Rockaways.

There is no need for the Q52 and the Q53 north of Queens Blvd, regardless of any hindrances it would case for the many Woodhaven/Cross Bay riders south of it..... Address the reliability issues on the Q53 & we would see this is the case.... It is not an insufficiency issue with Broadway, it's an inconsistency issue....

* Running supplementary services (which is the "solution" that's being thrown out there w/ the Q52) to fix current inconsistencies (the current Q53, along Broadway) would only result in.... further inconsistencies.

* Extending the complementary relationship that the two routes already have south of QB, to north of it, results in over-serving Broadway....

I would argue that the current service provided on the Q53 is overabundant along Broadway specifically... I'm inclined to believe the MTA sees this is as such, as well.... And in saying that, unfortunately, THIS is what I believe the MTA would end up "addressing" with the SBS plan - damn any inconsistencies with the Q53 along Broadway....

I would extend it to Woodside so that the routes can interline and service can be switched from one to the other depending on what's needed in the Rockaways.

Turnover is high enough at the QCM that it really doesn't make much of a difference. If you want some "insurance" so to speak to prevent gaps towards Rockaway Park from getting too large, you can even short-turn a few Q53s at the QCM or Jackson Heights.

For that particular purpose, you may as well have both routes ending at QCM...

Running both services up to Woodside for that reason is preposterous; traffic along Broadway isn't exactly free-flowing....

Even if that was an issue that needs addressing, it's lazy planning; basically what's being implicated with such a thing is, let's screw Woodhaven LTD riders to facilitate riders in the Rockaways....

For that particular purpose, you may as well have both routes ending at QCM...

Running both services up to Woodside for that reason is preposterous; traffic along Broadway isn't exactly free-flowing....

Even if that was an issue that needs addressing, it's lazy planning; basically what's being implicated with such a thing is, let's screw Woodhaven LTD riders to facilitate riders in the Rockaways....

Wasn't the original purpose of the Q53 to replace the Rockaway Beach Branch to Rock Park? (https://www.newspapers.com/image/53870282/) The Q52 does the same thing, except to Beach 67 St only. There are big problems with the perennially delayed Q53, but not with the Q52 from what I've seen. IIRC, the Q53 essentially replaces the Rock Park portion of the RBB, and the Q52 just has five stops in the Rockaways not served by the Q53.

I proposed extending Q52 to 74 St to alleviate the crowds there, but I guess half of Q52s and Q53s could use Queens Blvd, 65 Pl, and Woodside Av to go to the Woodside-61st St LIRR (7) station with no intermediate stops, with the other half short-turning at Woodhaven.

Wasn't the original purpose of the Q53 to replace the Rockaway Beach Branch to Rock Park? (https://www.newspapers.com/image/53870282/) The Q52 does the same thing, except to Beach 67 St only. There are big problems with the perennially delayed Q53, but not with the Q52 from what I've seen. IIRC, the Q53 essentially replaces the Rock Park portion of the RBB, and the Q52 just has five stops in the Rockaways not served by the Q53.

I proposed extending Q52 to 74 St to alleviate the crowds there, but I guess half of Q52s and Q53s could use Queens Blvd, 65 Pl, and Woodside Av to go to the Woodside-61st St LIRR (7) station with no intermediate stops, with the other half short-turning at Woodhaven.

Replacing the old ROW wasn't akin to screwing Woodhaven riders, since they already had the Q11 in abundance... The only real gripe bus riders even had, was regarding the quality of the physical buses (like with most the buses from the old PBL's) along Woodhaven.... So I'm not seeing the point of conflating the purpose of the Q53 with the existence of the Q52....

Of course the Q53 would loom more problematic than the Q52, since the Q52 was created as a remedy for the problems of the Q53.....  The horse pulls the cart, not the other way around.....

I understand wanting to alleviate crowding, but running a route that's already supplementary, that largely transports the same exact clientele to the same major destinations due north (QCM, and QB for the subway), supplementarily to Woodside I don't see as being the best thing.... For the purpose that Gotham brought up, it amounts to lazy planning.... For the purpose you're bringing up, it amounts to being excessive....

I

Replacing the old ROW wasn't akin to screwing Woodhaven riders, since they already had the Q11 in abundance... The only real gripe bus riders even had, was regarding the quality of the physical buses (like with most the buses from the old PBL's) along Woodhaven.... So I'm not seeing the point of conflating the purpose of the Q53 with the existence of the Q52....

Of course the Q53 would loom more problematic than the Q52, since the Q52 was created as a remedy for the problems of the Q53.....  The horse pulls the cart, not the other way around.....

I understand wanting to alleviate crowding, but running a route that's already supplementary, that largely transports the same exact clientele to the same major destinations due north (QCM, and QB for the subway), supplementarily to Woodside I don't see as being the best thing.... For the purpose that Gotham brought up, it amounts to lazy planning.... For the purpose you're bringing up, it amounts to being excessive....

I see your point. But short of reactivating the RBB, the only real way to resolve this would be SBS on the Woodhaven corridor, which I won't comment on. This would help Broadway riders a little, but not much. Without SBS, the MTA won't really be incentivized to improve Q53 reliability, and bus lanes wouldn't work on Broadway like they do on Woodhaven due to Broadway's narrowness.

What I'm saying is that the Q53 should at least get better service somehow. I'm just proposing some ideas, but no solution is perfect.

Turnover is high enough at the QCM that it really doesn't make much of a difference. 

In that case, maybe the section north of the mall should become a separate route. (Maybe Q51?) 

If both go to Woodside, It might be less confusing to passengers if the Q53 stays on Broadway (which is what it has always done) while the Q52 uses the "bypass" path (which would have to be Queens Blvd, 69th Street, Roosevelt to reach the Q53 stop).

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

Would an extension of the Q52 north to unique destinations work? Like, say, an extension along Junction to LGA, stopping at Corona, Roosevelt, Northern, Astoria, and 23 Av?

It might work, since there is a connection to the (7) at Roosevelt (taking off some of the pressure from riders transferring from the (7) to the Q53 at 61 St-Woodside and 74 St). Also, it serves as another way to get to LGA airport from the (M)(R) .

The Q52 is just a supplement to the Q53.

The Q52 and Q53 are, in turn, supplements to the Q11 and Q21.

On a related note, I really don't know why the Q21 is still a separate route, now that the Q41 and Q11 overlap it for its entire route, and the Q52 took its Rockaway portion. I remember when the Q41 went only between Rockaway Blvd (A) and Beach 67 St (A). Shouldn't the Q21 be Q52 local, or the Q52 LTD be the Q21 LTD, or something?

Edited by agar io

Anyone going to airport from the M and R just takes the train to 74th Street and take the Q70.

I think people are missing the point here. The Q52 is just a supplement to the Q53.

I mean, people in Rockaway have always complained about how hard it is to get to northern area in Queens, so I'd imagine that an extension to LGA could be useful.