LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a result of "santacon" no alcohol drinking will be allowed on LIRR and MNRR trains this weekend 

I was wondering about that since I heard this on the news and may use Metro-North on Friday/Saturday... Does that mean that if I bring a bottle of alcohol with me that is unopened that I can receive a ticket??

I thought I saw an LIRR work crew with a Ford work truck on the rails some months ago at the Franklin Avenue crossing, but he was just using the shed next to the track.  Then at the crossing behind Westwood on a weekend in 2011, the gates were down but the LIRR had already cancelled weekend WH Branch service, so I looked down towards VS and there was a track worker walking down the roadbed.

I don't know if those apartments next to West Hempstead station proper are even popular or whatever.  The motel that was there prior to 2010 (which covered the rail yard that used to be there) was the definition of seedy from what I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm on a train to New Haven today and there was this lady doing her hair with an electric hair iron plugged in to the outlet. The conductor made her shut it off, citing a fire hazard. Then the lady said "I'm a professional" and "I have coverage" to which the conductor said "I'm not covered"

Then the lady says to her friend that she sees lots of people do their hair on the train.

Uh huh... Right....

Nothing is ever going to beat the time I saw someone plug in a Keurig on the LIRR...

They say the LIRR is less crappy than the subway, but other than slightly more comfortable seats there's not really much of a quality difference in the ridership.

I agree with that... The LIRR is really GHETTO...

Two men got into a fist fight on my 6:02(am) out of ENY.... Not sure what it was about, since I had my headphones on...

And if that wasn't enough, someone threw up on my 6:15 out of JAM today (as the train was just passing the Laurelton Pkwy below)....

Yeah, and to top it off, someone got carted off in handcuffs at Mineola (eastbound side; at Mineola Intermodal)...

On the bright side, on the train home (from Mineola), I helped a blind guy make his way to the waiting room after coming off the train, even though my Brooklyn train (4:14) was across the platform.... One of the c/r's saw I was helping the guy to the waiting room, and he actually waited for me.... I wasn't expecting that... I was ready to wait for the next train out (4:33) too.

Two men got into a fist fight on my 6:02(am) out of ENY.... Not sure what it was about, since I had my headphones on...

And if that wasn't enough, someone threw up on my 6:15 out of JAM today (as the train was just passing the Laurelton Pkwy below)....

Yeah, and to top it off, someone got carted off in handcuffs at Mineola (eastbound side; at Mineola Intermodal)...

On the bright side, on the train home (from Mineola), I helped a blind guy make his way to the waiting room after coming off the train, even though my Brooklyn train (4:14) was across the platform.... One of the c/r's saw I was helping the guy to the waiting room, and he actually waited for me.... I wasn't expecting that... I was ready to wait for the next train out (4:33) too.

I had trains wait for me too on the LIRR.

• 2 weeks later...

Can MNRR's Park Av Tunnel and the Empire Connection handle double-deck cars?

The Park Ave tunnel can was as MNRR was planning to buy double deck cars... most likely to replace the Shoreliners when there time comes.

Empire Connection can as well NJT double decks went though there from Bombardier to get delivered shorty after Sandy.

What mnrr needs is more frequent service not an excuse to run less. As for LIRR maybe double deckers can do wonders for peak trains. And may enable reverse peak trains to run more frequently.

My cousin told me that on the LIRR, when they reach the end of third-rail power, a locomotive is attached to the EMU and the train is pulled for the rest of the route. Is this true?

no besides only battery powered EMUs can run on diesel territory but the range is limited by the train model Japan is trying it sadly I assume an FRA waiver would be needed to get those here.

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2014/prototype-battery-powered-train/ the UK is testing these. In the long or even short term the LIRR& MNRR can save a ton of $$ by retrofitting their EMUs with these battery packs read the article.

• 2 weeks later...