LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

So only PM crews get paid extra overtime when the train is late?

You would get OT beyond your finish time, anything beyond 5 minutes has to be explained in a report. And sometimes claims for less than 5 minutes are hit or miss. An AM crew operating an AM train is obviously nowhere near finishing their shift so you're just wasting your own time.

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

My understanding was that LIRR crews get overtime for everything: being late, train rerouted or turned short, etc.

If its something you would read in NYPost reconsider if its believable. None of those things pay anything. The most you could do is get 5 minutes for free and if that was a pattern then theyd be downloading your train or sending a plain clothes manager. Thats assuming you dont have a deadhead to catch or that youd even want to bother filling out the form for the extra....$5

7 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

If its something you would read in NYPost reconsider if its believable. None of those things pay anything. The most you could do is get 5 minutes for free and if that was a pattern then theyd be downloading your train or sending a plain clothes manager. Thats assuming you dont have a deadhead to catch or that youd even want to bother filling out the form for the extra....$5

My source was a LIRR conductor on a different PW train.

13 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

My understanding was that LIRR crews get overtime for everything: being late, train rerouted or turned short, etc.

Not always. It depends on how far you are into your shift. If you're late into your first run and have a second run after, you won't be compensated. 

On 3/16/2023 at 2:09 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Where, exactly, is the busiest railroad station in Suffolk County ? I’ve been traveling out there since 1981 and in my experience Babylon and Ronkonkoma have always been the top priority. Mineola and the surrounding area do have many different workplaces in Nassau but so does the strip in Melville in Suffolk along Broadhollow Road from Huntington southward towards Sunrise Highway. Is there actually that large a gap eastward towards the terminals on either the Babylon or KO branch ? Just curious. Carry on.

Ronkonkoma.

You have the 5:04pm out of Penn getting there at 6:20pm. Then the 5:25pm out of Penn only goes to Brentwood, and then the 5:39pm out of Grand Central gets to Ronkonkoma at 6:57pm, hence the 37 minute gap. If they extended the 5:25pm from Brentwood to Ronkonkoma, that would fill the gap.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Ronkonkoma.

You have the 5:04pm out of Penn getting there at 6:20pm. Then the 5:25pm out of Penn only goes to Brentwood, and then the 5:39pm out of Grand Central gets to Ronkonkoma at 6:57pm, hence the 37 minute gap. If they extended the 5:25pm from Brentwood to Ronkonkoma, that would fill the gap.

On paper it probably would. Of course if you were to look at the previous four or five trains I doubt that KO could handle that many arrivals in a row. You have a point of course but I’ve seen the backups eastbound from the station on an almost daily basis. My home station is Brentwood these days. Carry on.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:27 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

On paper it probably would. Of course if you were to look at the previous four or five trains I doubt that KO could handle that many arrivals in a row. You have a point of course but I’ve seen the backups eastbound from the station on an almost daily basis. My home station is Brentwood these days. Carry on.

I should point out that I’m looking at this from a subway perspective. Layups, turned trains and what have you. Friday evening I was caught in traffic by the eastbound trains , 2, and 1 westbound train at the Brentwood station for about 10 minutes. The Brentwood dropout and its follower who creeped into the station. Later on I checked the schedule and noticed that the Greenport Scoot was part of the mix at Ronkonkoma during the period that the poster I responded to mentioned.as well as the westbound train I saw. My guess is that the additional trains from GCM added to more congestion at the terminal. This is purely speculation on my part. Carry on.

6 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I should point out that I’m looking at this from a subway perspective. Layups, turned trains and what have you. Friday evening I was caught in traffic by the eastbound trains , 2, and 1 westbound train at the Brentwood station for about 10 minutes. The Brentwood dropout and its follower who creeped into the station. Later on I checked the schedule and noticed that the Greenport Scoot was part of the mix at Ronkonkoma during the period that the poster I responded to mentioned.as well as the westbound train I saw. My guess is that the additional trains from GCM added to more congestion at the terminal. This is purely speculation on my part. Carry on.

That's the thing: If any train should've remained cut back to Brentwood, it should've been the 4:46pm out of Penn Station (the following train is 4 minutes behind). If they thought that getting trains in general to terminate at Brentwood was a good way to reduce congestion getting into Ronkonkoma, they should've short-turned that train, and then extended the 5:25pm out of Penn (although looking at the schedule, it appears that it may need to occupy Track A anyway, given that it seems it turns around as the 6:26pm out of Ronkonkoma). 

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

When was the PM only Ronkookma trip from Long Island City removed?

Likely March 2020 when they went to a weekend schedule, and then they never brought it back. (I believe there used to be a West Hempstead train out of HPA as well at one point)

12 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Likely March 2020 when they went to a weekend schedule, and then they never brought it back. (I believe there used to be a West Hempstead train out of HPA as well at one point)

There was no West Hempstead train out of HPA. West Hempstead used to have one train to and from Penn pre-covid. The only time where there were regularly scheduled electrics at HPA was during the Summer of Hell in 2017 and randomly scheduled trains based on pick seasons during 2019.

Edited by xD4nn

3 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Summer of Hell. That was the summer when Amtrak was doing repair works on the East River Tunnels. LIRR scheduled some Great Neck trains to and from Hunterspoint Avenue during that time.

I remember when HPA and AT was discounted to be part of fare zone 3. Ridership at HPA increased by more than 200% or something like that. Too bad service went back to crap after the repairs are done

8 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I remember when HPA and AT was discounted to be part of fare zone 3. Ridership at HPA increased by more than 200% or something like that. Too bad service went back to crap after the repairs are done

It's very shocking that HPA is scheduled to receive upgrades & elevators when it's barely used by any train service.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, Lawrence St said:

It's very shocking that HPA is scheduled to receive upgrades & elevators when it's barely used by any train service.

Not true. Hunterspoint Avenue sees pretty heavy ridership for the trains it runs. You would always see people darting from the (7) train station to the platform to catch their trains.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:26 PM, N6 Limited said:

I haven’t been to Atlantic Terminal since the new schedules started, which tracks are they using? Is it mostly 1 and 2?

Yes, most of the time, it would be Track 1 and 2: both peak and off-peak. Tracks 3/4 are used during the peak. 

38 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not true. Hunterspoint Avenue sees pretty heavy ridership for the trains it runs. You would always see people darting from the (7) train station to the platform to catch their trains.

With what service? Other then Mountak and West Hempstead what other line is serving it at all hours of the 

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

With what service? Other then Mountak and West Hempstead what other line is serving it at all hours of the 

What are you talking about?

West Hempstead trains dont go to Hunterspoint Avenue.

Hunterspoint Avenue sees service from Montauk, Port Jefferson, Speonk and Oyster Bay trains largely during the rush hour, and those trains are used pretty heavily despite the current ridership levels.

You should probably do your research before you speak on something you know nothing about.

Edited by Cait Sith