LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

With what service? Other then Mountak and West Hempstead what other line is serving it at all hours of the 

It's served by the diesel branches (mostly Port Jefferson, with a few Montauk and Oyster Bay trains). It really should be a full-time station.

42 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not true. Hunterspoint Avenue sees pretty heavy ridership for the trains it runs. You would always see people darting from the (7) train station to the platform to catch their trains.

The problem is that's only during rush hour (I think it would get decent ridership as a full-time station). 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember seeing the M7s over at Hunterspoint Av station at some point in passenger service, not recent but a long time. Were they scheduled or that it was rerouted due to work at Penn Station? 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

What are you talking about?

West Hempstead trains dont go to Hunterspoint Avenue.

Hunterspoint Avenue sees service from Montauk, Port Jefferson, Speonk and Oyster Bay trains largely during the rush hour, and those trains are used pretty heavily despite the current ridership levels.

You should probably do your research before you speak on something you know nothing about.

I actually did research it, and west Hempstead came up. There’s also (or used to be) a PM outbound for Ronkonkoma.

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

I remember seeing the M7s over at Hunterspoint Av station at some point in passenger service, not recent but a long time. Were they scheduled or that it was rerouted due to work at Penn Station? 

The first days the M9 were out they were running to Long Island City.

https://longisland.news12.com/mta-police-teen-attacked-2-lirr-conductors-with-ticket-issuing-machine

So, because the ticket machine has an issue, LIRR conductors asking for tickets gets punched over not paying the cost on-board.  The teen was going to Atlantic Terminal from Jamaica station. Although, was arrested trying to make the leave around the East New York station. 

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://longisland.news12.com/mta-police-teen-attacked-2-lirr-conductors-with-ticket-issuing-machine

So, because the ticket machine has an issue, LIRR conductors asking for tickets gets punched over not paying the cost on-board.  The teen was going to Atlantic Terminal from Jamaica station. Although, was arrested trying to make the leave around the East New York station. 

You have people out here just trying to do a job so they can pay the bills & feed their families and you have these entitled folks who think they should just be allowed to ride for free. And when these said individuals get confronted they get offended and want to attack someone. Hope they lock that dudes butt up because he deserves it. I don’t condone violence but I wish we had more people take initiative in helping out when they see someone getting beat up. Dude should have gotten his ass knocked out. I’m sorry but if you are bold enough to attack two MTA workers just trying to do their jobs then you need to get your head busted. 

Just last week on the n4 a dude got on at the same stop as me and just started cursing and going off because the driver was telling him to leave the bus because he didn’t have the fare. I don’t mean to be stereotypical but  from my experience it’s always these “hood” dudes that really wild out for no reason when they know they are wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Calvin said:

The LIRR on the Atlantic Av branch so far has about 3 Budd M3 trains on the rails as a Shuttle. I know it's common but, it seems like the MTA has put them there a lot instead of Penn Station rush hour trips. 

The problem with Penn Rush Hour trips is that the M3s are only allowed on certain branches due to how the equipment rotates. For example, the M3s can only go on 2 rush hour PM trains on the Port Washington Branch.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:22 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Train #1413 (from Great Neck 6:28, due GC 7:05) usually gets to Woodside on time at 6:54AM, yet is held every day for about 5 minutes so that train #1611 (from Huntington 5:54, due GC 7:02) can access the GC portal first. 

LIRR could do one of two obvious things. . . .

(1) Operate train #1611 on time — gasp! — so that train #1413 doesn't have to be held, or... 

(2) Schedule train #1413 a few minutes later so that it doesn't have to be held. 

I was just looking at the "City Terminal Zone - Grand Central" timetable and noticed that train #1413 isn't even listed (even though other PW branch trains are). It shows GC arrivals at 7:02 and 7:09, but none at 7:05.

Might that have something to do with why it's always held at or just west of Woodside? Could the dispatchers possibly not know that #1413 is supposed to be there? 

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I was just looking at the "City Terminal Zone - Grand Central" timetable and noticed that train #1413 isn't even listed (even though other PW branch trains are). It shows GC arrivals at 7:02 and 7:09, but none at 7:05.

Might that have something to do with why it's always held at or just west of Woodside? Could the dispatchers possibly not know that #1413 is supposed to be there? 

It is just a schedule error.

Does the Metro North have trains that stops at the platform but a certain number of cars can open at said station? For example, to the LIRR, the train to Hempstead is 10 cars making a stop at Nostrand Av from Atlantic Terminal but can cover 8 cars at the platform. 

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Does the Metro North have trains that stops at the platform but a certain number of cars can open at said station? For example, to the LIRR, the train to Hempstead is 10 cars making a stop at Nostrand Av from Atlantic Terminal but can cover 8 cars at the platform. 

Yes. Metro-North has many short platforms that require hanging cars off the platform.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

This post reminds me of the hiking stop on the Hudson Line "Brakeneck Ridge", only one door opens at that stop :lol:

breakneck3.jpg

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

That station was never extended to handle trains longer than 6 cars.

On 4/9/2023 at 8:07 PM, trainfan22 said:

This post reminds me of the hiking stop on the Hudson Line "Brakeneck Ridge", only one door opens at that stop :lol:

breakneck3.jpg

It doesn’t look like a station at all and on passing trains you would completely miss it because there is no signage. I wanted to do the hiking trail that is there but only a few trains stop there.  

On the upper Harlem line there is the Appalachian trail stop that is similar where limited amount of trains stop there and only one door opens. 

45 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It doesn’t look like a station at all and on passing trains you would completely miss it because there is no signage. I wanted to do the hiking trail that is there but only a few trains stop there.  

On the upper Harlem line there is the Appalachian trail stop that is similar where limited amount of trains stop there and only one door opens. 

The sign is on the opposite side of the platform.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Oooor in an alternate universe, train 1413 was added after the public media was 'printed' in response to public complaints. Just never got updated due to it happening well after the schedule was published and paper schedules being deemphasized.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The random track change issue is still ongoing at Jamaica. Every time I have taken the train from Jamaica station going to Long Island this past week and a half either my train would have its track switched or it would be another train. 

That will always be a issue on the LI side of the station. That's been a thing before and after GCM opened.

However, it has increased A LOT on the Manhattan bound side of the station, and it was particularly bad yesterday evening, as there were GC trains on Track 1 AND 3.....with a Penn Station train on Track 2 around 6-7PM. It seemed to be extra messy on both sides yesterday evening.

Edited by Cait Sith