Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Ugh I hate delays like that. At least they're warning riders though.  Didn't they have a fastrack a few weeks ago?

The real issue to me is when they don't notify the pubic about delays. If i can avoid it i WILL. Last week (E)(F) and (R) were running express to 71st, and so there was a conga line, and even after 71st trains were crawling. I'm not fond of being stuck between stations either. I would have taken the (J) where I could at least use my phone. They say "allow additional travel time" but that somewhat implies that warning applies the stops being skipped. 

That's another thing, when there's a delay, and instead of holding trains in stations with the doors open, they let them stack up in between stations, no one wants to be stuck on a train. That's even more annoying when its an express train and the locals are just whizzing by.

For example,if you KNOW there are issues, inform us. I don't want to leave 71'st Continental ,"southbound" and get stuck for 20-30 mins while (M) and (R) trains are whizzing by, Inform your customers, I would have gladly switched to the local train and been on my way, and if there was a problem further down the line, I'd rather be told at or before Roosevelt Ave so I can take the (7) instead of getting stuck between stations on the express or local tracks between stations "south" of Roosevelt Ave.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a warning to anyone riding downtown A, C and D trains during this service disruption - They mean it when they say delays!  The uptown ride from midtown to Washington Heights last weekend took 20 minutes (from when the train showed up), yet the downtown ride took 45 minutes (from when the train showed up).  There were several spots along the way where there was track work (around 96th, 81st and 72nd) where trains crawled through on the local tracks.  I wondered why there was a mass exodus off the downtown A at 168th in the middle of the afternoon (so passengers could catch the #1 train last weekend) and now I know why.

Wonder why they didn't coordinate this work to be during the Fastracks they have up there. Makes hardly any sense to run service like that.

Ugh I hate delays like that. At least they're warning riders though.  Didn't they have a fastrack a few weeks ago?

FASTRACK is for short duration maintenance work. Anything large-scale that requires the track to be out of service for more than 7 consecutive hours (closer to 5 in practice) needs a longer shutdown.

The real issue to me is when they don't notify the pubic about delays. If i can avoid it i WILL. Last week (E)(F) and (R) were running express to 71st, and so there was a conga line, and even after 71st trains were crawling. I'm not fond of being stuck between stations either. I would have taken the (J) where I could at least use my phone. They say "allow additional travel time" but that somewhat implies that warning applies the stops being skipped. 

That's another thing, when there's a delay, and instead of holding trains in stations with the doors open, they let them stack up in between stations, no one wants to be stuck on a train. That's even more annoying when its an express train and the locals are just whizzing by.

For example,if you KNOW there are issues, inform us. I don't want to leave 71'st Continental ,"southbound" and get stuck for 20-30 mins while (M) and (R) trains are whizzing by, Inform your customers, I would have gladly switched to the local train and been on my way, and if there was a problem further down the line, I'd rather be told at or before Roosevelt Ave so I can take the (7) instead of getting stuck between stations on the express or local tracks between stations "south" of Roosevelt Ave.

Agreed 100% about the announcements. But if the problem is congestion, then holding in stations just pushes the problem back.

FASTRACK is for short duration maintenance work. Anything large-scale that requires the track to be out of service for more than 7 consecutive hours (closer to 5 in practice) needs a longer shutdown.

Agreed 100% about the announcements. But if the problem is congestion, then holding in stations just pushes the problem back.

In that case, let us know.

Something like:

"This is 14th Street Union Square, Transfer is available to the (5)(6)(L)(N)(Q) and (R) trains. "Ladies and Gentlemen there is train traffic ahead of us. If you do not want to get stuck on this train take the (6) or find alternative routing. Thank you for riding New York City Transit. Stand Clear of the closing doors please"

Edited by N6 Limited

Delays  Posted: 10/07/2013 10:03AM 

Due to signal problems at Church Avf.png and g.png trains are delayed in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

ok whats going on at church ave?  i think this has popped up a little to frequently

also

Delays  Posted: 10/07/2013 10:03AM 

Due to ongoing switch problems at Rockaway Park-B 116 St, Rockaway Pk s.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013 12:19AM 

Due to ongoing signal problems at Broad Channel, southbound a.png trains and southbound Rockaway Park s.png trains are running with delays.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013  2:28AM 

Due to a rail replacement at 14 St-Union Sq, northbound n.png trains are running with delays.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013 11:43AM 

Due to signal problems at Howard Beach, northbound a.png trains are running with delays.

Alow additional travel time.

Service Change  Posted: 10/08/2013 10:01AM 

Due to signal problems at 15 St-Prospect Park, some northbound f.png trains are running express from Church Av to Jay St-MetroTech.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013 10:01AM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Parsons Blvd-Archer Av, j.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time

Delays [/size] Posted: 10/08/2013 11:43AM 

Due to signal problems at Howard Beach, northbound a.png trains are running with delays.

Alow additional travel time.

Service Change[/size] [/size] Posted: 10/08/2013 10:01AM 

Due to signal problems at 15 St-Prospect Park, some northbound f.png trains are running express from Church Av to Jay St-MetroTech.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013 10:01AM 

Due to a train with mechanical problems at Parsons Blvd-Archer Av, j.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

So basically 1 track is in operation at Parsons.Is that enough to have service run normal?

So basically 1 track is in operation at Parsons.Is that enough to have service run normal?

Almost, (J) headways  are like 10 mins. But they usually do have inbound and outbound trains meet at Sutphin Blvd

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013  3:44PM 

Following an earlier incident at Kew Gardense.png and f.png train service has resumed with residual delays. 

Service Change  Posted: 10/08/2013  8:52PM 

Due to a smoke condition at 110 St, northbound 6.png trains run express from 42 St-Grand Central to 125 St.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013  8:57PM 

Due to signal problems at DeKalb Av,b.pngd.pngn.pngq.png and r.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Delays  Posted: 10/08/2013  9:32PM 

Due to signal problems at DeKalb Av:

Both directions, no b.png and q.png train service between Prospect Park and Atlantic Av-Barlays Center.

Southbound b.png and q.png trains run on the d.png line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

Both directions, b.pngd.pngn.pngq.png and r.png trains are running with delays.

Both directions, no b.png and q.png train service between Prospect Park and Atlantic Av-Barlays Center.

Southbound b.png and q.png trains run on the d.png line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

I literally JUST avoided this. Got on the (Q) at DeKalb and apparently we were the 2nd train to go by after this happened.

Going northbound seemed horrible though, while passing Prospect, Newkirk and Avenue H, they just had the (Q) 's sitting there.  I don't know if they were turned around but for the 30 minutes I waited for the B3 at Avenue U, there was no southbound (Q) 's.

Can't say for sure if (B) 's and (Q) 's coming into Brooklyn either because of friend of mine just told me a (N) is stuck at Canal Street as well.

Service Change  Posted: 10/08/2013 11:07PM 

Due to signal problems at 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr, southbound f.png trains via e.png line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av toWest 4 St-Washington Sq and some s/b m.png trains via e.png line 5 Av/53 St to West 4 St-Washington Sq.

I witnessed the beginning of this mess. Got off of a n/b D train at Bway-Lafayette and found a s/b B train held in the station for a few minutes, along with the D train after it.

Service Change  Posted: 10/08/2013  8:52PM 

Due to a smoke condition at 110 St, northbound 6.png trains run express from 42 St-Grand Central to 125 St.

Smoke condition? The conductor on my train said it was a signal problem. But this was somewhere between 9:10 and 9:20, so it could have happened after the smoke condition.

Edited by Gong Gahou

It's back...

Due to NYPD activity at Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, the following service changes are in effect

b.png trains are running between Brighton Beach and Prospect Park in both directions.

Northbound q.png trains are running on the n.png line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to DeKalb Av.

Southbound b.png and q.png trains are bypassing Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

As an alternative, customers are advised to use the following buses to nearby f.png train service:

B3, B4, B6, B8, B9, B11, B35 and B82 buses.

Smoke condition? The conductor on my train said it was a signal problem. But this was somewhere between 9:10 and 9:20, so it could have happened after the smoke condition.

It's a very bad idea to tell your customers that your train is being held due to a fire in the vicinity, even if it's the truth.

Edited by Snowblock

Well two people were on the tracks at Atlantic Av... 1 dies, another in hospital: http://bed-stuy.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/one-killed-one-hospitalized-after-barclays-center-subway-incident-bed-stuy

Also hearing another incident at 161 St on the D train? as well. Not a good day.

it's a 12-9 per subchat with first hand reports 

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1252830

Service Change Posted: 10/11/2013 4:56PM 

Due to a sick customer at 149 St-3 Av:

Northbound 2.gif trains terminate 96 St.

Northbound 5.gif trains run on 4.gif line from 125 St to 161 St-Yankee Stadium.

This is a 161 St-Yankee Stadium-bound (5) train... (imagine)