Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

At this point, I'd be shocked if they got the damn thing open on time. Hell, they couldn't even get the holiday train moving smoothly today. Let's see...we sat at 5th Avenue for almost 10 minutes waiting for a lineup only to sit in the tunnel while they let an (F) go through, they almost sent it to the Rutgers tunnel instead of the 2nd Avenue pocket tracks...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on the holiday train told me that a 10-car train of R160s has been wrapped for the Second Avenue Subway and is it Coney Island Yard. Presumably, this will be the first train.

I have heard from someone who talked to someone from the MTA and they said that the line would open at midnight.

I'm hearing a private non-revenue ceremony will happen New Years Eve with Revenue service starting on New Years Day.

So for Joe Q. Public, no, the line won't open this year.

News 4 literally just in the last five minutes ran a story on the Second Avenue Subway, claiming the governor told them it will open to the public on December 31st...

So we'll see. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the date and time becomes official in the next 48 hours.

And yes according to sources, there is a full wrap R160 in Coney as we speak...

How is the SAS going to open on December 30/31 if there are no notices posted up at any stations, and they still haven't confirmed a date?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It probably isn't, though maybe the governor will rush the opening.

How are they not (N) trains? They run on the (N) to 57th Street and then via the (Q) to the nearest layup point, 96th Street.

We should call them NQ trains, since they run (N) in Brooklyn and (Q) in Manhattan.

Looks like it'll be open the first of January, with the "first train" running sometime on December 31st.

On another note, whenever 57 Street & 6 Avenue is renovated, they should swap out the current tiles for the style that SAS and Lex-63 Street has. It's also subtle, but much better looking. It wouldn't be out of place because the next stop north, Lex-63 Street, would have the same style.

As said, I would open the line at 7:00 or 8:00 PM on New Year's Eve.  This way, it technically does open to the public before the year ends. and keeps certain pols happy.

EDIT:  I suspect they didn't want to do that having a new line open on New Year's Eve night to the public when it could pose a security risk.  I'm sure Cuomo would prefer the line actually open to the public New Year's Eve, but likely along with the MTA were advised by those concerned about terrorism that it could create unintended consequences. 

Edited by Wallyhorse

On another note, whenever 57 Street & 6 Avenue is renovated, they should swap out the current tiles for the style that SAS and Lex-63 Street has. It's also subtle, but much better looking. It wouldn't be out of place because the next stop north, Lex-63 Street, would have the same style.

Don't you mean 57th Street & Seventh Avenue? Or are you talking about making it consistent for the (F)?

I had like 10-15 people friends and family tell me about the opening of the subway at events and holiday parties over the last few days. But every last one of them shocked to find out it's only 3 stations with the (Q) extended. It's progress much needed at that but a part of me feel's like the media is overselling this. I hope the public holds the MTA accountable to push the next phases.

Edited by RailRunRob

Looks like it'll be open the first of January, with the "first train" running sometime on December 31st.

Well, of course it'd be better looking. The current design of 57 Street dates back to the '60s. Strangely enough, I don't mind the current design of the station, but that's just me.

As said, I would open the line at 7:00 or 8:00 PM on New Year's Eve.  This way, it technically does open to the public before the year ends. and keeps certain pols happy.

EDIT:  I suspect they didn't want to do that having a new line open on New Year's Eve night to the public when it could pose a security risk.  I'm sure Cuomo would prefer the line actually open to the public New Year's Eve, but likely along with the MTA were advised by those concerned about terrorism that it could create unintended consequences. 

I'd wager on that ceremonial ride being done at an earlier time, rather than at 7pm when the crowds at Times Square and the nearby subway stations (since the Times Square station entrances will all be closed for the NYE celebration). I'd imagine Cuomo and the various dignitaries will do this sometime before then.

Caught the same map on the (7), man the (7) has to change the maps again as well. They had the (W) map and now the second avenue subway map.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I noticed the interim (W) map did not have the station names in the usual large text format. I guess they decided to just use a blown up version of the pdf map for that.

I had like 10-15 people friends and family tell me about the opening of the subway at events and holiday parties over the last few days. But every last one of them shocked to find out it's only 3 stations with the (Q) extended. It's progress much needed at that but a part of me feel's like the media is overselling this. I hope the public holds the MTA accountable to push the next phases.

It is a shame how hyped this extension is. You'd think the entire line from 125 Street to Hanover Sq was about to open. I guess since it's been almost 30 years since the last extension of this length has been completed, everyone is considering it such an extraordinary feat.

On the subject of the opening itself, it is nice to see them stick to the 2016 deadline (kinda), but I do wonder how long will it be until the line is closed for "planned maintenance".

I'd wager on that ceremonial ride being done at an earlier time, rather than at 7pm when the crowds at Times Square and the nearby subway stations (since the Times Square station entrances will all be closed for the NYE celebration). I'd imagine Cuomo and the various dignitaries will do this sometime before then.

Of course.  My point was they likely wanted to open the line to the public on New Year's Eve, but doing so would invite the unintended consequence of a terrorist looking to ruin New Year's Eve in NYC using that to do something, no matter how unlikely that would actually be.

I'm sure security experts insisted they wait until New Year's Day to open the line to the public. 

Actually, 57th-6th looks fine the way it is.  Of course the platform tiles are a bit bland, but that was the style in the 1960s- they seem to be holding up fine, and it's nowhere near as bad as the older stations that were forcibly retrofitted with these tiles around the same time (BMT 4th Avenue anyone?).  Also, the mezzanine is very spacious and the quasi-marble finish is downright majestic: they'd have to be complete idiots to tear that floor up...  

Good Lord. What a mess. I guess putting something along the lines of "2nd Ave - Here We Come" was not considered. Seriously, the bullet design combined with the standardized color scheme make the whole thing look tacky.

It's too bad they aren't going to run the TOMM with the R11 leading since that car was specifically bought for the line, or even the new 179s to illustrate the future of the subway. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Of course.  My point was they likely wanted to open the line to the public on New Year's Eve, but doing so would invite the unintended consequence of a terrorist looking to ruin New Year's Eve in NYC using that to do something, no matter how unlikely that would actually be.

I'm sure security experts insisted they wait until New Year's Day to open the line to the public. 

That and large, drunk crowds. No one wants all of the Day One photos to include scattered vomit everywhere. 

Good Lord. What a mess. I guess putting something along the lines of "2nd Ave - Here We Come" was not considered. Seriously, the bullet design combined with the standardized color scheme make the whole thing look tacky.

It's too bad they aren't going to run the TOMM with the R11 leading since that car was specifically bought for the line, or even the new 179s to illustrate the future of the subway. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Or a lack of enthusiasm.  Then again, considering the issues they've been having with the Museum cars lately (R6 1300 out pending repairs, another R1/9 mechanical failure at 2nd Avenue, R11 8013 shorting out the day before its premier trip and running with no lights), perhaps it's for the better.

And hopefully a toned-down ceremony will keep all the foamers and other assorted rail freaks at bay...

Weren't the R44's also designed for the SAS as well?

Actually, 57th-6th looks fine the way it is.  Of course the platform tiles are a bit bland, but that was the style in the 1960s- they seem to be holding up fine, and it's nowhere near as bad as the older stations that were forcibly retrofitted with these tiles around the same time (BMT 4th Avenue anyone?).  Also, the mezzanine is very spacious and the quasi-marble finish is downright majestic: they'd have to be complete idiots to tear that floor up...  

I'm with you in regards to the present design of 57 Street. In my opinion, there's no need to spend a boatload of money into taking the '60s out of the station. Clean up the platform and fix the ceiling on the platform level. Oh and lay down some new concrete to level out the steps from the street level because those shallow, uneven steps are a disaster waiting to happen. Do that and focus some of the remaining funds to more deserving projects, like the cavern that is Chambers St.

Of course, since the station is on Cuomo's target list, you can safely bet most of the station will be modernized to match the newest stations. That's how it is.

Or a lack of enthusiasm.  Then again, considering the issues they've been having with the Museum cars lately (R6 1300 out pending repairs, another R1/9 mechanical failure at 2nd Avenue, R11 8013 shorting out the day before its premier trip and running with no lights), perhaps it's for the better.

And hopefully a toned-down ceremony will keep all the foamers and other assorted rail freaks at bay...

Tis true. I'm sure the last thing they want is the inaugural train to break down mid-trip. Though with all of the false starts and many delays, it would be kind of fitting.

By the way, nothing will keep the more "enthusiastic" rail fanners away. 

Weren't the R44's also designed for the SAS as well?

Yep, but the museum set doesn't really go anywhere. Besides, their similarities to the 46s don't really make them much of a museum piece at the moment.

Did they put new (Q) signage along the line

Yep.

Edited by Lance