Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Both LED and CFL bulbs come in a variety of color temperatures. You can get LED bulbs in 2700 (incandescent), 3100 (halogen), 4000 (cool white), or 5000 k (daylight). CFLs come in the same variety of color temps. Older bulbs (CFL and LED) had some odd color casts, but that's no longer true with newer CFL and LED bulbs. You can't easily tell them apart by the color alone. 

Perhaps MTA traditionally bought 4000k CFL bulbs and 3100k LED bulbs (for example) in the past, but that doesn't mean new LED purchases won't be a different color temp (that matches the CFLs you've seen in service.) 

With the bulbs Transit uses, CFL's are 2700K (incandescent color), and the LED's are all 4000-5000K. 

The shape of the bulb is different as well. LED's need heat sinks, so the whole bottom of the bulb is metal, and only the dome is lit. The CFL's is a more tubular shaped bulb, with a smaller ballast in the base. What I saw on Second Ave. was the same old CFL's.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cause LED lighting gives out a different color than ones in the SAS tunnels.

As was stated LED and CFL are available in a great many color temperatures. 

Both LED and CFL bulbs come in a variety of color temperatures. You can get LED bulbs in 2700 (incandescent), 3100 (halogen), 4000 (cool white), or 5000 k (daylight). CFLs come in the same variety of color temps. Older bulbs (CFL and LED) had some odd color casts, but that's no longer true with newer CFL and LED bulbs. You can't easily tell them apart by the color alone. 

Perhaps MTA traditionally bought 4000k CFL bulbs and 3100k LED bulbs (for example) in the past, but that doesn't mean new LED purchases won't be a different color temp (that matches the CFLs you've seen in service.) 

Any fluorescent - except one specifically designed for film/photo has a green spike in it's response. Compared to the fluo station lights those look LED to me - but not a fair comparison.  

With the bulbs Transit uses, CFL's are 2700K (incandescent color), and the LED's are all 4000-5000K. 

The shape of the bulb is different as well. LED's need heat sinks, so the whole bottom of the bulb is metal, and only the dome is lit. The CFL's is a more tubular shaped bulb, with a smaller ballast in the base. What I saw on Second Ave. was the same old CFL's.

The shape of the bulb is different for LED but it's not apparent in the video the shape of the bulb. 

Honestly - I could have sworn I saw the heatsinked/only-dome-lit bulbs in the 2700k variety - but you've seen a lot more of the tunnels than I have. 4/5000k leds are generally cheaper and more lumens/watt (hence why they're used for streetlights now) so maybe thye would stay with them for tunnel lighting if they were going LED. 

TBH its possible they ordered the bulbs for SAS years ago before the LED became common. 

I'm just a bit of a lighting enthusiast which is why I was like what do you mean CFL. (big part of cinematography)

Well people, this is it. We are almost at the end of construction for the upcoming IND Second Avenue Subway. The (Q) will be extended from Midtown 57 St-7 Ave to Upper East Side 96 St- 2 Ave. You think this will be completed by New Years Eve?

Please enjoy and subscribe to my channel

The shape of the bulb is different for LED but it's not apparent in the video the shape of the bulb. 

But I've seen them up close, when I went up there to qualify.

Not only the shape, but the heat sink makes the bulb longer, so that they stick out of the fixture. 

Honestly - I could have sworn I saw the heatsinked/only-dome-lit bulbs in the 2700k variety - but you've seen a lot more of the tunnels than I have. 4/5000k leds are generally cheaper and more lumens/watt (hence why they're used for streetlights now) so maybe thye would stay with them for tunnel lighting if they were going LED. 

What you're seeing is the 4000K variety, having yellowed after awhile. (Not sure what makes them yellow, as the LED's are supposed to have much less UV radiation than fluorescents), but I've noticed that the color temperature does seem to go down, so that some look almost like 2700; like in the 3000 range. 

Edited by Eric B

I agree, it looks good for the most part.

But the question has always been whether they can get elevator, escalator, and fire system testing done in time. Those aren't the kind of things you can determine from photos. We'll see. I'm no fan of Cuomo, but I am glad to see him pushing them to stick to a deadline (as long as no shortcuts are taken.)

Edited by rbrome

Not going to get into the whole discussion of lighting efficiency per se, but I will say that I always liked the long fluorescent tubes they used for lighting in the 63rd Street Tunnel and the ones they retrofitted into the tunnels of the upper Crosstown Line in the '80s.  Those and the mercury bulbs they used to have in the IRT tunnel to Brooklyn.

I will be really annoyed if it opens on December 31 as that date is on a Saturday, and that is Shabbat. Since I am Jewish I would be in synagogue and I would not be able to go on the subway. It's not like I am expecting it to open in 2016 anyway.

The Launch Box has a detailed post about construction with some nice pictures for the interested. 

On your Rockaway Beach Branch map it says Grand Avenue Newton, instead of Newtown. 

I see that they changed the date to Jan 1st. As long as it's not the 31st, I'm good.

I'd interpret 'by Jan 1" as opening before 2017 aka December 31st...

But also there's a blog someone linked to here, that claims inside sources know that it will open in some capacity on December 30th

According to Dan Rivoli on Twitter, the Independent Engineering Consultant just gave the go ahead for a December 31st opening. 

It could possibly be officially announced this week...

https://twitter.com/danrivoli/status/808365907940691973?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Edited by Around the Horn

I'd interpret 'by Jan 1" as opening before 2017 aka December 31st...

But also there's a blog someone linked to here, that claims inside sources know that it will open in some capacity on December 30th

The only reason I'd see it open January 1st over December 31st is the fact that January 1st is a Sunday. 

According to Dan Rivoli on Twitter, the Independent Engineering Consultant just gave the go ahead for a December 31st opening. 

It could possibly be officially announced this week...

https://twitter.com/danrivoli/status/808365907940691973?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That report doesn't mention the escalators and elevators, which are what might hold it up.