CDTA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

M15 idea.

The M15 is a heavily used route; however, in terms of subway connections, while it parallels the Lexington Avenue subway for much of its route, there is not a connection to the subway north of 14 Street. As such, what I would propose is to extend the M15 SBS one stop beyond its current terminus---to the Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6) station. (The M15 local would operate this route from 15 minutes before the last scheduled M15 SBS northbound to 15 minutes after the first scheduled M15 SBS southbound.)

Northbound: via 126 Street: proceed to Lexington Avenue and drop off on the near side.

Southbound: first pickup at Lexington Avenue at 125 Street (stop shared with the M35), left at East 124 Street, right at 2 Avenue, and regular. The SBS stop currently at 2 Avenue and East 125 Street would be relocated to 2 Avenue and East 124 Street.

The increased cost would be negligible. Connections currently made to and from the M15 at 2 Avenue/125 Street would be made at the subway station.

I also would think that the idea of sending select M15 SBS buses up and down the FDR Drive to/from South Ferry and 23 St would be a good idea. It would provide for quicker commutes to/from Midtown/Uptown and reduce some of the crowding on the bus. Then again, the FDR can get really clogged up at times so I'm not sure whether it would actually be worth it. What do you guys think?

M15 125 ST

M15 via 1 Av

via FDR Drive

M15 +SELECT

BUS SERVICE+

M15 idea.

The M15 is a heavily used route; however, in terms of subway connections, while it parallels the Lexington Avenue subway for much of its route, there is not a connection to the subway north of 14 Street. As such, what I would propose is to extend the M15 SBS one stop beyond its current terminus---to the Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6) station. (The M15 local would operate this route from 15 minutes before the last scheduled M15 SBS northbound to 15 minutes after the first scheduled M15 SBS southbound.)

Northbound: via 126 Street: proceed to Lexington Avenue and drop off on the near side.

Southbound: first pickup at Lexington Avenue at 125 Street (stop shared with the M35), left at East 124 Street, right at 2 Avenue, and regular. The SBS stop currently at 2 Avenue and East 125 Street would be relocated to 2 Avenue and East 124 Street.

The increased cost would be negligible. Connections currently made to and from the M15 at 2 Avenue/125 Street would be made at the subway station.

Aren't 125th St and the surrounding side streets one of the slowest crosstown corridors in the city? Why would you want to muck up reliability like that?

I also would think that the idea of sending select M15 SBS buses up and down the FDR Drive to/from South Ferry and 23 St would be a good idea. It would provide for quicker commutes to/from Midtown/Uptown and reduce some of the crowding on the bus. Then again, the FDR can get really clogged up at times so I'm not sure whether it would actually be worth it. What do you guys think?

M15 125 ST

M15 via 1 Av

via FDR Drive

M15 +SELECT

BUS SERVICE+

Well, as someone who uses the portion south of 23rd St quite heavily, this is a bad idea on all fronts. Not only is the FDR constantly jammed, but the section below 23rd St is just as heavily trafficked as sections north. It is really hard to get to the subway from the LES and eastern Chinatown, so you'd just be missing this whole chunk of riders.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Aren't 125th St and the surrounding side streets one of the slowest crosstown corridors in the city? Why would you want to muck up reliability like that?

124th and 126th do move much faster than 125th Street. Drivers would have leeway here If they see that 124th is crowded, they would be free to head up to 127th Street and then double back past the garage.

M15 idea.

The M15 is a heavily used route; however, in terms of subway connections, while it parallels the Lexington Avenue subway for much of its route, there is not a connection to the subway north of 14 Street. As such, what I would propose is to extend the M15 SBS one stop beyond its current terminus---to the Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6) station.

Short Rebuttal... and I didn't even have to hesitate with this....

(because years back, this is something I thought of too... until I came to the realization of some things)

1 - The patrons of East Harlem either walk or take crosstown buses to get to the Lex..... there is a LOT of walking goin on up there....

2 - You'd have the likes of the M101 to contend with - You're not gonna get ppl. to abandon that 101 for the 15 (SBS or not).....

3 - M15's on the same block as that M35 is a nightmare waiting to happen, for several reasons.... For starters, the space simply isn't there....

Short Rebuttal... and I didn't even have to hesitate with this....

(because years back, this is something I thought of too... until I came to the realization of some things)

1 - The patrons of East Harlem either walk or take crosstown buses to get to the Lex..... there is a LOT of walking goin on up there....

2 - You'd have the likes of the M101 to contend with - You're not gonna get ppl. to abandon that 101 for the 15 (SBS or not).....

3 - M15's on the same block as that M35 is a nightmare waiting to happen, for several reasons.... For starters, the space simply isn't there....

THIS and won't M60 be faster if routed to 124/126 st past park ave? Or any one of the 125th buses. Well that's cause M15&101 serve different corridors.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

THIS and won't M60 be faster if routed to 124/126 st past park ave? Or any one of the 125th buses. Well that's cause M15&101 serve different corridors.

The benefits of keeping service on the same street (anyone going crosstown can pick any random bus, higher visibility, easier interchange with subway routes) significantly outweigh the costs. Creating a two-block wide one-way pair would actually reduce transit coverage in both directions by two blocks, since riders would have to walk two blocks further for at least one leg of the trip.

- Don't know why you're asking about the M60 for... I'm addressing AEMoreira's suggestion (which has nothing to do with that route)...

Let's not get crazy with diverting routes on 124th/126th....

- Obviously the M15 & the M101 serve different corridors; that's not the issue.... He wants to connect the 15 with the Lex because the route currently doesn't - And I'm saying that's exacerbatory to the 15....

• 3 weeks later...

i was thinking since the m60 has bunching problems how about utilizing a short turn i see on ttmg wiki that it has a code for 125 and amsterdam, what are your thoughts and opinions, every 3rd bus turns there.

Even though the bus bunch, they still get very full. Short turning it would cause much bigger problems in crowds , in Queens especially, than

before.

Here's a simple idea:

Merge the M101 and M103 bus routes. They are nothing more than extensions of each other and it makes more sense for them to be one route. It would retain the M101 label under this proposal.

...and make the route even longer and more unreliable than it already is

Here's a simple idea:

Merge the M101 and M103 bus routes. They are nothing more than extensions of each other and it makes more sense for them to be one route. It would retain the M101 label under this proposal.

That would be an overkill so that's why they're both split. Also, the M101 is a Limited stop route most of the day so the M103 picks up the people the M101 wouldn't normally pick up.

...and make the route even longer and more unreliable than it already is

I guess. It wouldn't save anything combining them.

That would be an overkill so that's why they're both split. Also, the M101 is a Limited stop route most of the day so the M103 picks up the people the M101 wouldn't normally pick up.

I wasn't aware that the M101 was limited. I find it ridiculous that the Manhattan bus map doesn't display limited services on a side note.

I guess. It wouldn't save anything combining them.

I wasn't aware that the M101 was limited. I find it ridiculous that the Manhattan bus map doesn't display limited services on a side note.

The M101 has been a LTD Stop bus for years, but it should be noted if you have no clue what the route actually is. A hard copy would be stating it on the back of the map.

The M101 has been a LTD Stop bus for years, but it should be noted if you have no clue what the route actually is. A hard copy would be stating it on the back of the map.

But he does have a point...idk why Manhattan Maps never showed limited stops on the front of maps for as long as i can remember compared to the others

But he does have a point...idk why Manhattan Maps never showed limited stops on the front of maps for as long as i can remember compared to the others

That's (MTA) logic for ya!

When you think about it, there's actually no need for it. Most LTDs in Manhattan mimic subway lines and most LTDs follow each other along the way. The M1, M2 and M4 LTDs follow each other along the way in both directions, the M101 mimics the Lex. The only two lines I can see accounted for is the M5 and M98 routes. The outerboroughs would need it because of the lack of transportation options available in low-lying areas like Valley Stream or South Ozone Park, hell, Staten Island & Queens would need it more than anyone else when you put it in logic.  

Edited by Cait Sith

When you think about it, there's actually no need for it. Most LTDs in Manhattan mimic subway lines and most LTDs follow each other along the way. The M1, M2 and M4 LTDs follow each other along the way in both directions, the M101 mimics the Lex. The only two lines I can see accounted for is the M5 and M98 routes. The outerboroughs would need it because of the lack of transportation options available in low-lying areas like Valley Stream or South Ozone Park, hell, Staten Island & Queens would need it more than anyone else when you put it in logic.  

I also find that the stop spacing on Manhattan LTDs seems to be a lot closer than out in the outer boroughs. With all the crap on the bus maps already, LTD stops would probably add way too much clutter.

Here's a simple idea:

No it doesn't make sense for them to be one route.... Have you gone bananas.... The last thing Manhattan needs is a route like the M101 putting up w/ the traffic hell the 103 puts up with between chinatown & houston st (it aint no once in a blue moon occurrence either; that is very common on the 103 down in that stretch).... That, and you simply cannot fit as many 101's under its current frequency @ Park Row.... Every single trip during the day would be damn late....

No it doesn't make sense for them to be one route.... Have you gone bananas.... The last thing Manhattan needs is a route like the M101 putting up w/ the traffic hell the 103 puts up with between chinatown & houston st (it aint no once in a blue moon occurrence either; that is very common on the 103 down in that stretch).... That, and you simply cannot fit as many 101's under its current frequency @ Park Row.... Every single trip during the day would be damn late....

I wrote that because I was bored and was curious to know what people thought about the idea. Either way I wasn't being serious.

Until 1995, the M101 and M102 ran to City Hall (with some buses short-turning at Cooper Union, as I recall), and there was no M103. In 1995, the southern end of both routes was split off to create the M103.