Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

B39 extension

Here are pros and cons:

Pros:

1. deals with rush-hour crowds from (A)(C)(J)(L)(M) and (Z) trains

2. Another way to travel to Manhattan

Cons as our concerns,

1. As Trainmaster5 questioned above my post, if b39 operates via its extension full-time; It is for peaks hours only

2. Heavy traffic at Williamsburg bridge and major roadd

The outbound terminus from Manhattan, you decide since I am a beginner of this forum, even though I rode with your company a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by collagedchen300

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had looked over my transit app, and I had not found any bus routes plying along Bushwick Avenue. Also, B39, currently serving Manhattan stops, needs an extension to grow our business bigger.

The state of NY isn't supplying public buses & the operators needed to drive them in this city, to help your business grow bigger.....

B39 extension

Here are pros and cons:

Pros:

1. deals with rush-hour crowds from (A)(C)(J)(L)(M) and (Z) trains

2. Another way to travel to Manhattan

Cons as our concerns,

1. As Trainmaster5 questioned above my post, if b39 operates via its extension full-time; It is for peaks hours only

2. Heavy traffic at Williamsburg bridge and major roadd

The outbound terminus from Manhattan, you decide since I am a beginner of this forum, even though I rode with your company a lot.

It's not up to him to supply a terminal for a suggestion that you claim is needed to "grow (your) business bigger"...

You think it should happen, you come up with at least an area where it should terminate.... That's how suggestions work.

Explain to us how you plan on shifting enough folks from off those subway lines, to a bus..... I'll wait.

Now I'm all for encouraging inter-borough surface transportation in this city, but you have to consider what market(s) you plan on serving & how efficiently you can do so with a bus route (in this case, an extension of a current one).... It does not look as if you've considered either - just as long as the requisite of growing your business is met, right? ;)

In laymens, you're not getting current riders of those subway lines to abandon it for a bus that goes no further than the Delancey st. commercial corridor - to have to end up taking the same trains (yes trains, plural, as many riders that even take the (J) & the (L) xfer to subway lines running north-south in Manhattan) they would, if they had normally stayed on w/e subway line that runs proximal to their place of residence to begin with.... Running buses along Bushwick is practically serving the same general market that the Nassau line & the 8th av line already serves.....

Both of those so-called "pro's" is saying the same thing; all your "pro #2" does is make it that much conspicuous as to how weak the supposed pro's of running the B39 deeper into Brooklyn is...... As for the "cons", #1 is irrelevant, since you're not going to tap into an existing market that is well served with the J, and especially with the L anyway.... Do you know how hardcore L riders are when it comes to patronizing "their" line? They do so with more diligence than those that reside within the confines of Brooklyn CB 6 - which says a lot, if you pay attention to those things.... Con #2, yes, there is heavy traffic that plagues the Willy' B......

I'm saying all this, as a staunch advocate of surface transit... But we have to be realistic too, man.

• 1 month later...

The state of NY isn't supplying public buses & the operators needed to drive them in this city, to help your business grow bigger.....

It's not up to him to supply a terminal for a suggestion that you claim is needed to "grow (your) business bigger"...

You think it should happen, you come up with at least an area where it should terminate.... That's how suggestions work.

Explain to us how you plan on shifting enough folks from off those subway lines, to a bus..... I'll wait.

Now I'm all for encouraging inter-borough surface transportation in this city, but you have to consider what market(s) you plan on serving & how efficiently you can do so with a bus route (in this case, an extension of a current one).... It does not look as if you've considered either - just as long as the requisite of growing your business is met, right? ;)

In laymens, you're not getting current riders of those subway lines to abandon it for a bus that goes no further than the Delancey st. commercial corridor - to have to end up taking the same trains (yes trains, plural, as many riders that even take the (J) & the (L) xfer to subway lines running north-south in Manhattan) they would, if they had normally stayed on w/e subway line that runs proximal to their place of residence to begin with.... Running buses along Bushwick is practically serving the same general market that the Nassau line & the 8th av line already serves.....

Both of those so-called "pro's" is saying the same thing; all your "pro #2" does is make it that much conspicuous as to how weak the supposed pro's of running the B39 deeper into Brooklyn is...... As for the "cons", #1 is irrelevant, since you're not going to tap into an existing market that is well served with the J, and especially with the L anyway.... Do you know how hardcore L riders are when it comes to patronizing "their" line? They do so with more diligence than those that reside within the confines of Brooklyn CB 6 - which says a lot, if you pay attention to those things.... Con #2, yes, there is heavy traffic that plagues the Willy' B......

I'm saying all this, as a staunch advocate of surface transit... But we have to be realistic too, man.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/nyregion/l-train-will-shut-down-between-manhattan-and-brooklyn-in-2019-for-18-months.html?_r=0&referer=

Then, as the NYC times news above, what if the (L) line will be suspended for 18 months starting from 2019?

Hint: B39 should be ridden for alternative.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/nyregion/l-train-will-shut-down-between-manhattan-and-brooklyn-in-2019-for-18-months.html?_r=0&referer=

Then, as the NYC times news above, what if the (L) line will be suspended for 18 months starting from 2019?

Most people will be taking the (G)(J)(M)(Z) and (7)<7>, as they should. There is no way the B39 will handle everybody from the (L) train...

Not really. They can still take the (L) to Broadway Junction for the (A)(C) or Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M).

I would avoid Broadway-East New York at all costs.. With the delays the (A)(C) will have.

B6, B82 and other west bound buses will be working on overdrive to handle the masses from the (L) once that project begins..

When is the (M) Myrtle Viaduct project expected to begin?

Give it a rest....

The hipsters & other riders of the (L) train simply won't consider the B39 & any extension of it - or any other bus carrying riders between areas that the (L) serves, and a part of Manhattan the masses that even take the L are not trying to get to.....

The L train from Brooklyn to Manhattan is a transfer line enough as it is, and you want to have those riders take buses running on half-hourly headways over the Williamsburg bridge......

==================================

Not really. They can still take the (L) to Broadway Junction for the (A)(C) or Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M).

If anything that (L) > (G) > (7) commute is gonna be the norm; or as it's infamously called around these parts, the 3 borough commute :mellow:

(that is, for those that aren't crying about literally moving out of their homes closets because a subway line is going to be knocked out... JFC, such babies)

The Canarsie folks that need Manhattan... Well, let's just say I wan't no part of being anywhere around Utica/Eastern Parkway.... It's going to end up being a bigger shitstorm than it is now....

Give it a rest....

The hipsters & other riders of the (L) train simply won't consider the B39 & any extension of it - or any other bus carrying riders between areas that the (L) serves, and a part of Manhattan the masses that even take the L are not trying to get to.....

The L train from Brooklyn to Manhattan is a transfer line enough as it is, and you want to have those riders take buses running on half-hourly headways over the Williamsburg bridge......

If anything that (L) > (G) > (7) commute is gonna be the norm; or as it's infamously called around these parts, the 3 borough commute :mellow:

(that is, for those that aren't crying about literally moving out of their homes closets because a subway line is going to be knocked out... JFC, such babies)

The Canarsie folks that need Manhattan... Well, let's just say I wan't no part of being anywhere around Utica/Eastern Parkway.... It's going to end up being a bigger shitstorm than it is now....

So you're expecting a considerable increase in B17 usage? If anything I would expect the B103 to benefit most from this.

Give it a rest....

Ironically the (L) > (G) > (7) is my way to work lol

I'm not going into Manhattan only to come back out on the M60

So you're expecting a considerable increase in B17 usage? If anything I would expect the B103 to benefit most from this.

I don't think the B103 should see any sort of surprising increase itself. The route at times has trouble with meeting demand during certain parts of the day as it is, and would get worse when the (L) tubes are shut down. 

Yeah, B6/17/103 usage will increase. I expect usage on the B60 to increase as well, but not by much......

Those Canarsie peeps will be taking those buses to (2)(3)(4)(5) trains

Let's not forget the B20/B83 direct to Broadway-East New York and crosstown buses B14, and B15. Those buses will get some form of an increase.

Yeah, B6/17/103 usage will increase.  I expect usage on the B60 to increase as well, but not by much......

Canarsie patrons always favored the IRT..... I personally don't see those folks continuing to take the L, to get off at B'way Junction for the A/C or the J/Z.....

The L's gonna lose ridership when this impending shutdown happens anyway, but from Canarsie riders in-particular, it's going to be to the IRT Lex & 7th av lines.... Which are (likely) the same lines they're transferring to from off the L, once it gets to Manhattan anyway....

The dilemma of the Canarsie resident that needs Manhattan....

- Do you either take a bus to the Junction (or to Utica/Eastern pkwy) & ride the IRT directly to Manhattan, or..

- Do you take the bus to get to Canarsie (L) & put up with the L to get to 14th st, to xfer to the IRT (for uptown or downtown service)?

Not far-fetched to expect....

What I will say though is, said market's already been tapped to its potential; it came when the MTA gave the B103 that drastic (and justified) service boost back around 2010-11.... Sure it'll get more riders, but a considerable amount? I don't really see it.... Of course, considerable, being subjective....

I don't think the B103 should see any sort of surprising increase itself. The route at times has trouble with meeting demand during certain parts of the day as it is, and would get worse when the (L) tubes are shut down. 

Yeah, during the AM rush, people are getting consistently flagged in the Paerdegats as it is..... Have the route see anymore of a considerable increase & you'll see people getting consistently flagged at Rockaway Pkwy..... Don't really see that happening (nor do I see the MTA adding even more service on the route to support anymore of a significant usage that could come as a result of the L shutdown in Manhattan)...

Let's not forget the B20/B83 direct to Broadway-East New York and crosstown buses B14, and B15. Those buses will get some form of an increase.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the  :bus_bullet_b14: / :bus_bullet_b15: / :bus_bullet_b20: / :bus_bullet_b83: .  Especially the  :bus_bullet_b15: ....

Canarsie patrons always favored the IRT..... I personally don't see those folks continuing to take the L, to get off at B'way Junction for the A/C or the J/Z.....

The L's gonna lose ridership when this impending shutdown happens anyway, but from Canarsie riders in-particular, it's going to be to the IRT Lex & 7th av lines.... Which are (likely) the same lines they're transferring to from off the L, once it gets to Manhattan anyway....

The dilemma of the Canarsie resident that needs Manhattan....

- Do you either take a bus to the Junction (or to Utica/Eastern pkwy) & ride the IRT directly to Manhattan, or..

- Do you take the bus to get to Canarsie (L) & put up with the L to get to 14th st, to xfer to the IRT (for uptown or downtown service)?

Not far-fetched to expect....

What I will say though is, said market's already been tapped to its potential; it came when the MTA gave the B103 that drastic (and justified) service boost back around 2010-11.... Sure it'll get more riders, but a considerable amount? I don't really see it.... Of course, considerable, being subjective....

Yeah, during the AM rush, people are getting consistently flagged in the Paerdegats as it is..... Have the route see anymore of a considerable increase & you'll see people getting consistently flagged at Rockaway Pkwy..... Don't really see that happening (nor do I see the MTA adding even more service on the route to support anymore of a significant usage that could come as a result of the L shutdown in Manhattan)...

As per usual, you give good points.  I wonder how many folks(Canarsie) is actually going to use the free MetroCard transfer at Livonia/Junius.... :unsure:

Edited by SubBus

Yeah, B6/17/103 usage will increase. I expect usage on the B60 to increase as well, but not by much......

I'm from Canarsie and already most ppl take the train from Flatbush or Utica into downtown or the city

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I'm from Canarsie and already most ppl take the train from Flatbush or Utica into downtown or the city

I'm in full agreement on that. I'm also in Canarsie now, and the influx of people are taking the IRT (2)(3)(4)(5) vs the (A)(C)(J)(Z) for the (L).

I should've said that more people from Canarsie will be taking those buses to the IRT. Just look at the B6/103 and the B17. Even back in the day growing up in Crown Heights, the B17 was always packed leaving Eastern Parkway towards Canarsie...

Ain't nothing changed on the B17 except that the Rockaway Pkwy and E.80th St trips are now combined instead of separate destinations....

I should've said that more people from Canarsie will be taking those buses to the IRT. Just look at the B6/103 and the B17. Even back in the day growing up in Crown Heights, the B17 was always packed leaving Eastern Parkway towards Canarsie...

Ain't nothing changed on the B17 except that the Rockaway Pkwy and E.80th St trips are now combined instead of separate destinations....

That's the exact way i take when i come from my aunts house uptown..3 to utica or to nevins if there's a 4 there for the B17...B17 operates pretty good..

Whenever this (L) shutdown starts, should the MTA temporarily take the B42 out of (the special bus stop at) Canarsie (L) & have em run up to Rockaway av (3)? Meaning, buses would run from the Bayview houses to Rockaway av (3).... Free xfers would then be induced for the (3).... Nothing would have to happen to the B60 as a result of this....

I'm inquiring this because again, you're not going to get too many Canarsie patrons to xfer to A's, C's, J's, and Z's as a compromise....

....and on another note, when is that station rehabilitation along the (3) supposed to be completed?

Whenever this (L) shutdown starts, should the MTA temporarily take the B42 out of (the special bus stop at) Canarsie (L) & have em run up to Rockaway av (3)? Meaning, buses would run from the Bayview houses to Rockaway av (3).... Free xfers would then be induced for the (3).... Nothing would have to happen to the B60 as a result of this....

I'm inquiring this because again, you're not going to get too many Canarsie patrons to xfer to A's, C's, J's, and Z's as a compromise....

....and on another note, when is that station rehabilitation along the (3) supposed to be completed?

Not much people would utilize it

Also there are dollar vans to that transfer the people of Canarsie to the IRT station

One going up remsen to Utica

One on gleenwood to Flatbush

I don't think that many people will use it.  Especially with a free MetroCard transfer a station south.  That's why I asked how many people from Canarsie will use that MetroCard transfer.  I think that more people from the  :3: will use it more than those from the   :LL:...

The (3) line station rehabs should be done by the summer.  It just Sutter-Rutland and Junius left.  Pennsylvania Ave just reopened again after being closed for four months.  This was because of a box truck hitting the stationhouse like a week after its reopening from station rehab.