who drives what bus?

WannaBeMTA12

do bus operators pick the bus they wanna drive or is it picked for them?

also do rookies get the "well used buses" and the senior guys get the new buses or is it fair game and junior and senior guys use any bus?

jus curious guys

btw im back on after a lil hiatus

glad to finally see some artics on the q44 on here despite i live 1 block from the 20 ave/parsons blvd stop lol

There's specific options when it comes to an BO picking the 4 times a year we do it. You can pick a specific run assignment, vacation relief, or even the extra list --- all in seniority order.

For me, I have a specific run on the B46, and plan on staying there.

Also, your run determines whether you'll make a relief (which means you take whatever bus given to you by the previous operator), or pull out from the depot's yard which a bus is assigned to you. It's all determined by the dispatcher on duty as well. For the most part the yard dispatchers know I'm a NG hybrid man, and come down early for a good bus, but will take anything they assign me if timing is short, etc... It all depends.

Speaking of bus pick, little off-topic, but my Veolia employee who drives NICE, she only like to drive CNG 07, but not Orion V CNG or NICE-scheme buses because she think Orange is ugly. She will only driver NICE-scheme CNG 07 if there was no choice.

So I got a question... There was a guy on the X30 that had the same bus every day for weeks (2899, see, I've got it etched into my memory <_<) and I was thinking he just picked that bus every day. I've also seen another guy on the BxM1 with bus 3185 everyday. Both of them seemed to have been around for a while though. How does that work exactly that a driver can have the same exact bus for weeks? Is it just that the dispatcher likes the guy or is he assigned the same bus every day or what? I was thinking ugh, if as a passenger you get a bus with crappy AC imagine getting that same bus for weeks at a time. It happened to be that bus 3185 had a broken seat on it and since we regulars used that bus for so long, we all knew exactly where the seat was and to avoid it.

So I got a question... There was a guy on the X30 that had the same bus every day for weeks (2899, see, I've got it etched into my memory <_<) and I was thinking he just picked that bus every day. I've also seen another guy on the BxM1 with bus 3185 everyday. Both of them seemed to have been around for a while though. How does that work exactly that a driver can have the same exact bus for weeks? Is it just that the dispatcher likes the guy or is he assigned the same bus every day or what? I was thinking ugh, if as a passenger you get a bus with crappy AC imagine getting that same bus for weeks at a time. It happened to be that bus 3185 had a broken seat on it and since we regulars used that bus for so long, we all knew exactly where the seat was and to avoid it.

Yonkers I have definitely heard of ops being assigned a single bus, saw this with 3186 and a BxM18 driver every day. Don't think any NYCT depots do bus-to-driver assignments though.

Usually when it time for me to pull out there are no bus in the depot. you wait till a bus pulls in, if it not a road call or be held for scheduled repairs then that your bus.Yonkers must have have more than enough buses at the depot to be able to supplement their drive like that.

Yonkers picks their bus when they pick their runs. IIRC, it's a holdover from when they were Liberty Lines Express.

QV is another depot that the express drivers keep their same bus during the pick. I think at one point College Point experimented with that too, but they were having alot of breakdown when the had the older MCIs from SI. I also see SI express guys with the same buses.....sometimes it's easier to shut up the senior guys by giving them their "own" bus.

Usually when it time for me to pull out there are no bus in the depot. you wait till a bus pulls in, if it not a road call or be held for scheduled repairs then that your bus.

TA terminology would called this an "EPI" bus - early pull in.

EPI is a list of buses that need to be sent to maintenance for scheduled repairs, as Noflexdont stated.

for me i report to the yard shack and told that take bus number XXXX. End of story. If thedispatcher likes you will get a decent bus. you never take an unsafe bus out (19A defects, headlight out, brakes, ect...)

so for arguments sake lets say they say take bus 1234, u find 1234 is buried behind a few buses do u unbury it and take it or take the next one in the line or does dispatch already know whats in fromt and tell u to take that one thts in front to beforehand

so for arguments sake lets say they say take bus 1234, u find 1234 is buried behind a few buses do u unbury it and take it or take the next one in the line or does dispatch already know whats in fromt and tell u to take that one thts in front to beforehand

They give you the next bus in line.

Then yard shifters usually will give the dispatcher a report of what's what and where's what.

If the dispatcher likes you will get a decent bus. you never take an unsafe bus out (19A defects, headlight out, brakes, ect...)

It worked in reverse at Green Lines: The senior drivers were always given defective buses so that they wouldn't have to actually drive. After the MTA took over and brought in decent buses, some drivers who had picked (but never worked) the same runs for years on end suuddenly started complaining about insufficient running time.

for me i report to the yard shack and told that take bus number XXXX. End of story. If the dispatcher likes you will get a decent bus. you never take an unsafe bus out (19A defects, headlight out, brakes, ect...)

Only serious 19A deffects will prevent you from pulling out a bus, and headlight ? heh, see some of the Flatbush buses lattly ? Every day i see at least 2-3 with 1 headlight.

Acela What did you pick ?

I noticed that some of the early-morning B/O's on the EXP runs at CP wold have the same bus, especially when they still had the Orion 5's on the EXP lines. There were 1 or 2 B/O's that loved those buses! Once they stopped using the 05's, it was quite funny to see the B/O's on an MCI.

Only serious 19A deffects will prevent you from pulling out a bus, and headlight ? heh, see some of the Flatbush buses lattly ? Every day i see at least 2-3 with 1 headlight.

Anything that is in red on the OVCR card is a 19A defect bus and you should not pull it out. I know i wont. god forbid that you get into an accident and the person states i did not see the bus or something like that, guess who butt in trouble. The MTA has no problem dropping the hammer on anyone. We always must protect our jobs even for a simple headlight. I simply write it up then tell the yard dispatcher and take the next bus. it's no long my problem.

Yonkers I have definitely heard of ops being assigned a single bus, saw this with 3186 and a BxM18 driver every day. Don't think any NYCT depots do bus-to-driver assignments though.

TA does it at some depots also. It really depends on dispatch and what they do. Some drivers get the same buses over and over. I have seen it plenty times out of 126th Street depot. Many drivers also request certain buses if they can. I know a few operators out of Ulmer Park that will only pull out an RTS whenever possible. Especially some of the B6 drivers.

Whenever I catch the BxM11, there is a 75% chance I will get 3099.

I know that at QV, I know some seniors that will always go with an RTS while the younger blood get stuck with the new buses or secondly hybrids with rarely an RTS. This has occured ever since the new BT&E buses came along. As for the same buses thing I notice this happening with certain B/O's in the recent past. In the PM, my usual bus driver would take out #9205 over & over as that's all he's been taking out recently. Same went for 9529, 9660 & a couple of others. As said I'm guessing that certain driver's are allowed to choose their own buses as long as their available, but in QV's case AFAIK for the most part the seniors come first.

Archived