Which June 2010 bus cuts should be brought back now?

Shortline Bus

MTA Bus Routes: https://docs.google....WWc&hl=en#gid=2

NYCT routes: https://docs.google....RjbzZkT2c#gid=1

Basically, the X90 was about 20% more expensive than the average NYCT express route, which isn't too bad. Like we talked about a while ago, with the right interlining, the costs could drop pretty low.

The problem with the interlining theory is that the x90 doesn't interline with anything unless its an operator switching from Express to Local. The x25 had runs that interlined directly with the x29. The x90 being the sole express route out of Quill had no interlining routes unless that B/O was switching from a local run to an express & vice-versa

The problem with the interlining theory is that the x90 doesn't interline with anything unless its an operator switching from Express to Local. The x25 had runs that interlined directly with the x29. The x90 being the sole express route out of Quill had no interlining routes unless that B/O was switching from a local run to an express & vice-versa

But if the X25 could be interlined with a Brooklyn route, couldn't the X90 also be interlined with another outer borough route? If it's deadheading from say, Ulmer Park on it's way to becoming an X37/38, it could just make the detour to the WFC, make an X90 trip, and then deadhead over to 57th Street to start its return trip. You could give a decent cushion time, and even if it's late, those buses run frequently enough that wait time wouldn't be an issue (and for the crowding, the dispatcher could have it skip the first few stops or whatever to try and even out the loads).

Most express buses from Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens terminate at 57th/3rd, which is less than two miles from the first X90 stop at 92nd/York.

Also, according to the link above, here's a list of buses that have higher operating costs per passenger than the X90 did:

X30

X31

X63

X64

BM2

BM3

BM4

BM5

BxM2

BxM3

BxM11

BxM18

QM3

QM10

QM12

QM16

QM17

QM18

Most express buses from Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens terminate at 57th/3rd, which is less than two miles from the first X90 stop at 92nd/York.

Just a minor detail, but the Brooklyn buses don't terminate at 57th & 3rd. The NYCT routes terminate at 57th & Madison, and the MTA Bus routes terminate at 57th & 1st. (So the ideal route to interline it with would be a BM route, but the problem is the frequency of those routes).

Knowing how much the Bx55 is getting screwed overtime in terms of the horrid headways, it's close to being axed by the TA one day. But then again, there's always the Bx15, which seems to be more reliable nowadays...

Once I saw artics being ran on the 15 after they screwed w/ the 55 the way they did, that pretty much illustrates to me what they plan on doing w/ the 55 in the future...... worse, they don't necessarily have to throw LTD service along 3rd av to get rid of the 55 either.....

But if the X25 could be interlined with a Brooklyn route, couldn't the X90 also be interlined with another outer borough route? If it's deadheading from say, Ulmer Park on it's way to becoming an X37/38, it could just make the detour to the WFC, make an X90 trip, and then deadhead over to 57th Street to start its return trip. You could give a decent cushion time, and even if it's late, those buses run frequently enough that wait time wouldn't be an issue (and for the crowding, the dispatcher could have it skip the first few stops or whatever to try and even out the loads).

The x25 was based out of the same depot as the x29 being Ulmer Park hence why they interlined with each other. The x90 was based out of Michael J. Quill depot which is why it had no other express route to interline with out of the same depot!

Yup, also the x90 interlined with only one route before its elimination, the x92!

The x25 was based out of the same depot as the x29 being Ulmer Park hence why they interlined with each other. The x90 was based out of Michael J. Quill depot which is why it had no other express route to interline with out of the same depot!

But that's the thing: Couldn't you "technically" base it out of Ulmer Park or something?

No love for Staten Island here guys? (I Kid!)

Seriously though, I would love to see the X18 return. There are alot of users in my neighborhood "I miss the 18X (as they call it)". The biggest complaint I've heard is that atleast with the X18, you paid for a seat. When we have to commute over to Hylan Blvd and Narrows Road or Fingerboard Road, buses are usually packed. This is just my opinion, but if you pay $5.50 one way, you should atleast be able to get a seat. If the MTA was flexible with bus assignments to X-routes, I think a 40 foot bus would be better than a MCI Cruiser for the X18 and a few other routes. Just my two cents.

- I see what checkmate's alluding to w/ all this.... If the x25 was an ulmer park route that ran solely in manhattan & interlined w/ the x29, how come the x90 can't also run out of UP & interline w/ some other UP route....... Outside of what Cait already said about there being nothing to interline the 90 with (with it being the only exp. route out of MJQ), fact of the matter is the x25 garnered basically no riders, and the x90 was far more vital as an intra-borough exp. route...... If the x29 was late, you don't affect much if any riders w/ interlining it w/ 25's....... You don't want to put the x90 at the mercy of some other exp. route.....

Something that'll never happen is the interlining of bus routes that are out of 2 different depots..... It would kill the shear amt. of buses deadheading & what not, but what are ya gonna do......

- Never quite understood why SI-ers put the 'X' before the route number..... wasn't just old 18 riders either.....

just one of those little things, I guess.....

No love for Staten Island here guys? (I Kid!)

Seriously though, I would love to see the X18 return. There are alot of users in my neighborhood "I miss the 18X (as they call it)". The biggest complaint I've heard is that atleast with the X18, you paid for a seat. When we have to commute over to Hylan Blvd and Narrows Road or Fingerboard Road, buses are usually packed. This is just my opinion, but if you pay $5.50 one way, you should atleast be able to get a seat. If the MTA was flexible with bus assignments to X-routes, I think a 40 foot bus would be better than a MCI Cruiser for the X18 and a few other routes. Just my two cents.

Yeah a lot of X18 folks feel that their voices aren't being heard. I will agree that the North Shore has been screwed over royally by the (MTA) while the South Shore seems to have the (MTA)'s ear. Politically, X18 riders are part of the North Shore if you will. Now granted, folks on the South Shore do have long commutes, but folks on the North Shore like myself in West Brighton easily had an hour and a half commute each way, so both shores have comparable commutes, so why the disproportionate express bus service? Yet another reason I left and moved to Riverdale.

Blame government beauracracy for shooting down the x90 by a private bus operator... I don't see why it has to be MTA or nothing. I think some routes should be taken over by private entities, if they are deemed more expensive to operate than they are worth.

Staten Islanders that have gotten screwed over by private companies in the past would like to have a word with you......

I hate to say it but Jazumah's company is not cared for at all on Staten Island. I've never used any of his buses, but old express bus riders... Let's just say they'd have a few choice words for him.

- Never quite understood why SI-ers put the 'X' before the route number..... wasn't just old 18 riders either.....

Yeah, I've especially heard of people talk about the "1X". I guess it's a matter of priority: It's more important for them to know the number than the fact that it's an express bus, since it's already implied (aside from that, the only number that "overlaps" with a local route is the X42 vs. S42)

I just thought I'd mention it, but when my dad talks about the express buses, he sometimes talks about the "A", "C", & "J" (referring of course, the X17 patterns). My first instinct is obviously to think of the subway lines.

- I see what checkmate's alluding to w/ all this.... If the x25 was an ulmer park route that ran solely in manhattan & interlined w/ the x29, how come the x90 can't also run out of UP & interline w/ some other UP route....... Outside of what Cait already said about there being nothing to interline the 90 with (with it being the only exp. route out of MJQ), fact of the matter is the x25 garnered basically no riders, and the x90 was far more vital as an intra-borough exp. route...... If the x29 was late, you don't affect much if any riders w/ interlining it w/ 25's....... You don't want to put the x90 at the mercy of some other exp. route.....

I would think it also had to do with the riders as they wanted their own set of Express Buses in a depot within the borough instead of having buses from another borough run along their route which I can completely understand. And with Quill being one of the depots with top-tier maintenance, it was settled.

It was a type of uniformity and it stays with the history of how both the x90 and x92 were both based out of depots in Manhattan with their own express bus fleet. The x25 was always based out of Ulmer Park from my understanding and had PM interlining runs with the x29, I'm not too sure about how the AM runs ran.

Something that'll never happen is the interlining of bus routes that are out of 2 different depots..... It would kill the shear amt. of buses deadheading & what not, but what are ya gonna do......

So interlining buses from different depots reduces DH runs and makes express buses more cost efficient?? Is that what ur implying?

I'd bring back and expand weekend service on the Q31. I think one of the reasons for Q31's low weekend ridership in the past was that the span of service was inadequate - IMO weekend service should run from ~7 am to ~11 pm in order to have an adequate span of service.

M1 : Restore Back to South Ferry on weekends, M15: Restore City Hall Service, M18 : Restore But additional Service, M98 : Restore Service back to lex ave & 34th street ; M116 : Just Overnight Service, & X90 : Restore Service

Bronx: Bx55 : Restore Weekend Service , Bx41 : Restore Service Back To Wakefeild 241 St & X32 Restore Service

Brooklyn : B77 Restore Service

M1 : Restore Back to South Ferry on weekends, M15: Restore City Hall Service, M18 : Restore But additional Service, M98 : Restore Service back to lex ave & 34th street ; M116 : Just Overnight Service, & X90 : Restore Service

Bronx: Bx55 : Restore Weekend Service , Bx41 : Restore Service Back To Wakefeild 241 St & X32 Restore Service

Brooklyn : B77 Restore Service

Double post...

What about Queens? I agree with everything except the M18, if it is to be restored, it could be extended down 5th and Madison to get more ridership. The M1 should not go to South Ferry also, especially not on weekends, it's just too damn long.

Double post...

What about Queens? I agree with everything except the M18, if it is to be restored, it could be extended down 5th and Madison to get more ridership. The M1 should not go to South Ferry also, especially not on weekends, it's just too damn long.

The M1 wasn't that long, compared to the other 5th Madison Routes. Only the M2 and Q32 had a less operating time and mileage than the M1 end to end. All the other buses were longer than the M1 on 5th and Madison

Actually, the M18 can go to 207 street via Briadeay to interline with the Bx20. And possibly combine them both, now that I think about it, who thinks the X1 should return to 59 street rush hours

The M1 wasn't that long, compared to the other 5th Madison Routes. Only the M2 and Q32 had a less operating time and mileage than the M1 end to end. All the other buses were longer than the M1 on 5th and Madison

Actually, the M18 can go to 207 street via Briadeay to interline with the Bx20. And possibly combine them both, now that I think about it, who thinks the X1 should return to 59 street rush hours

I agree with the others that said that the M1 shouldn't go back to South Ferry. Bring back the M6 to run down there along with the M5, make the M5 limited the entire way and that should solve some problems.

It's better to combine the M100 w/the Bx20, as it has the former connection and it already overlaps with the route. The M1 from South Ferry-147th? That was longer than all of them except the M5. Trust me.

IMO the M18 if restored should run only netween Catherdal/110th St and the Bronx Gateway Mall. I strongly disagree Q23 not only about the Usage of the M18 but also the BX20. Just merge it with the BX7 and run as a branch called the BX7a weekdays only between 246/Henry Hudson and 168th St.

Archived