The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

Hold up a sec, 12th Avenue is the West Side Highway.

Lmfao !

I sit over there by the waterfall on christopher/west st inside HUDSON RIVER park for lunch sometimes.....

Hell yeah, you can't have buses in service along west st SB..... This is how you know for sure ppl. are proposing things just by looking at a bus map..... (Especially) working around the area for years now, that's why I was never on that whole bus service on 12th/west st bandwagon; back in the days of RD or present date.....

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If for some reason they sent it on the highway, completely. But there's no way that'll happen, it'll end up around 11th in which case I think it should work. The M11 has been in need of more service for ages, hopefully this'll help.

In sense i agree in sense this is just a subbranch of the M11. And IMO 11th Avenue at least north of 42ndStreet should become a 2-way street again.

Just saying, 11th Avenue definitely needs to be one way from 42nd Street to 40th Street to facilitate traffic headed towards the tunnel.

So Gorgor what you master plan on how this far west side bus line should use? It going to probably use 12th Ave/West St further downtown and 11th Ave/West End for Clinton area.

So Gorgor what you master plan on how this far west side bus line should use? It going to probably use 12th Ave/West St further downtown and 11th Ave/West End for Clinton area.

That's what I suppose the MTA will do with it. Ideally any bus route would stay off of the highway and use 10th Avenue up, but the M11 already serves 10th and there definitely does not need to be another bus route running up there. I honestly don't think that a north-south bus route is warranted for up there, because most people want the subway so they can go anywhere in the city.

There are so many bus routes that they cut that deserve service much more than this newly proposed route.

That's what I suppose the MTA will do with it. Ideally any bus route would stay off of the highway and use 10th Avenue up, but the M11 already serves 10th and there definitely does not need to be another bus route running up there. I honestly don't think that a north-south bus route is warranted for up there, because most people want the subway so they can go anywhere in the city.

There are so many bus routes that they cut that deserve service much more than this newly proposed route.

Agree on that buddy! That money could be used to restore more of the bus lines axed in June 2010.

With that said though on paper, this 11/12th Ave route looks great for the new residents moving to the Far West Side neigborhoods. However the huge concern will be the parking lots that is the Lincoln And Holland Tunnels.

IMO for a new far west side route it would more sense as Threxx suggested to use Greenwich/Hudson Sts. instead of West St.

Then use 12nd between 14th and 42nd St. (it does have a service road for part of the route) and then finally 11th Ave/West End Ave. Still it would made more sense to just increase service on The M11 and even consider extending to say the Houston St/West St area (M21 terminal) then creating this new route.

Also only the Spring Creek-East NY route and the Williamsburg-Greenpoint routes will be a success. Not sure on this Far West Side the Dumbo-Downtown Brooklyn and Hunt's Point planned routes in the Bronx though.

Hunts Point route could end up being the Barretto Point Park pool shuttle made year round. The shuttle is back weekends only.

http://brie.hunter.c...edu/hpe/?p=9621

With no signs for pedestrians to follow, few other people on the streets and almost no trees, the forbidding 11-block stretch to the park from the Hunts Point Ave. station has deterred many residents from visiting the park on the East River.

It definitely needs to be year round, and we need to figure out how to make alternative routes, for things like biking,” said community activist Sharon de La Cruz, who oversees the Action group. “If it’s access to a public park, these things are required,”

also...

Reinstatement of the shuttle was one of several Bronx transit expansions the MTA announced earlier this week, including an extension of the Bx13 line to the Gateway Center Mall near Mott Haven.

Y U NO LET ME LIKE POSTS!

It's a new day...

_________

Anyway, I agree that this West Side route came a bit out of the blue, but it's a step towards garnering development on the one empty area in Manhattan...

Why? The B4 is more than enough for Bay Ridge-Sheapshead Bay service.

Well I've been thinking about it and perhaps for folks needing Sheepshead Bay from Staten Island or the areas that the B64 serves it isn't a bad idea to do something, but I would propose some sort of limited stop service. I mean if anything the B4 should be extended so that it meets up with 86th street. I really don't see the point in terminating at 77th & Narrows Av. I wonder how many folks like myself would use the B64 to get down to Coney Island just so they could get over to Sheepshead Bay...

Well I've been thinking about it and perhaps for folks needing Sheepshead Bay from Staten Island or the areas that the B64 serves it isn't a bad idea to do something, but I would propose some sort of limited stop service. I mean if anything the B4 should be extended so that it meets up with 86th street. I really don't see the point in terminating at 77th & Narrows Av. I wonder how many folks like myself would use the B64 to get down to Coney Island just so they could get over to Sheepshead Bay...

Lets see as i explain for the 10,000th time what the (MTA) defines to create limited stop service?

1)Bus routes that travel at least 3-4 miles

2)Most important 5 minute or less headways weekdays and 6 minute or less headways weekends.

The B4 is far from that requirement.

3)Bus route is in top 10% in ridership systemwide.

If you say the "B4" terminal in Bay Ridge should be changed to 4th Avenue/86th Street that a better argument. The "B4" right now does not have enough ridership for a limited. Other routes such as the "B8" and "B15" routes VG8 never rides need it much more.

Lets see as i explain for the 10,000th time what the ()' /> defines to create limited stop service?

1)Bus routes that travel at least 3-4 miles

2)Most important 5 minute or less headways weekdays and 6 minute or less headways weekends.

The B4 is far from that requirement.

3)Bus route is in top 10% in ridership systemwide.

If you say the "B4" terminal in Bay Ridge should be changed to 4th Avenue/86th Street that a better argument. The "B4" right now does not have enough ridership for a limited. Other routes such as the "B8" and "B15" routes VG8 never rides need it much more.

Yeah but I wasn't talking about creating limited stop service for the B4 so the ridership argument is a moot point. Ideally either the B4 would be extended and remain as a local route, OR create a new route similar to the B103 that makes limited stops. IMO there is a need for some sort of west-east limited stop service in Southern Brooklyn. In fact it's been thrown around before, but the ridership isn't there to give it high headways IMO. Perhaps having it run down parts of 86th street with the B1 would attract ridership, as the B1 continues to grow.

Yeah but I wasn't talking about creating limited stop service for the B4 so the ridership argument is a moot point. Ideally either the B4 would be extended and remain as a local route, OR create a new route similar to the B103 that makes limited stops. IMO there is a need for some sort of west-east limited stop service in Southern Brooklyn. In fact it's been thrown around before, but the ridership isn't there to give it high headways IMO. Perhaps having it run down parts of 86th street with the B1 would attract ridership, as the B1 continues to grow.

If you talking a "limited" for the B1, then you have a good point, The headways and that route being busy 24/7 that a better argument. However with the "EL" aka (D) line traveling along 86th between 18th Avenue and Stillwell it wont work and need to travel a different route. Maybe a rush hour limited special between 86th/4th via either Bay Ridge Pwy or Cropsey and KCC/Manhattan Bridge could be created. All other times better headways is needed on the B1, B4 and B64.

A Limited more needed now for a Central Brooklyn based route such as the B8 and B15.

If you talking a "limited" for the B1, then you have a good point, The headways and that route being busy 24/7 that a better argument. However with the "EL" aka (D) line traveling along 86th between 18th Avenue and Stillwell it wont work and need to travel a different route. Maybe a rush hour limited special between 86th/4th via either Bay Ridge Pwy or Cropsey and KCC/Manhattan Bridge could be created. All other times better headways is needed on the B1, B4 and B64.

A Limited more needed now for a Central Brooklyn based route such as the B8 and B15.

I agree with the B8, but South Brooklyn needs more alternatives as well.

The B15 will never have a LTD, it gets too much intra-route usage at "local" stops for that to happen...

I admit i have not been on the "b15" since i left Brooklyn 5 years ago. With that from couple of times using the "Q10" and driving on Linden Blvd/Conduit Ave the headways and usage does warrant Limited Stop "B15." Question remains would it work?

Back to VG8 comment. Again a rush hour B1 Limited running between 95th/4th in Bay Ridge and Manhattan Beach running via 86th, 14th Ave, Cropsey, Neptune, West 5th and Brighton/Oriental Blvd could work. Key is that limited can use the "EL" portion of 86th between 18th Ave and Stillwell due to the "parking lot' it often is and slowing down the speed of that proposed limited.

I admit i have not been on the "b15" since i left Brooklyn 5 years ago. With that from couple of times using the "Q10" and driving on Linden Blvd/Conduit Ave the headways and usage does warrant Limited Stop "B15." Question remains would it work?

I personally don't think it would. It is a long and heavily used route, but the route also gets usage at intermediate stops. Plus, if you were to have local buses be the Postal Fac buses, riders at local stops would lose access to JFK Airport.

I personally don't think it would. It is a long and heavily used route, but the route also gets usage at intermediate stops. Plus, if you were to have local buses be the Postal Fac buses, riders at local stops would lose access to JFK Airport.

Then why not make the Post Fac Buses Limited Stop

Then why not make the Post Fac Buses Limited Stop

Then the buses heading out to JFK would be too long and winded. The best thing to do is to is to have both local and LTD buses go to JFK, and have the local buses run via the Facility. However, the same problem with the long local buses arises. Well, the B15 is local now, there aren't that many problems, so it could work...

I really don't see the point in terminating at 77th & Narrows Av. I wonder how many folks like myself would use the B64 to get down to Coney Island just so they could get over to Sheepshead Bay...

- Outside of coverage, there's none I can think of either; which is why I still think to this day it should be the B4 that runs w/ the B1 along 86th...... direct travel from Bay Ridge - Sheepshead bay, instead of (what I'm about to say below)

- current B36 crawls b/w stillwell subway & sheepshead bay enough as it is.... I think the riders in the area know that, and wouldn't wanna put up w/ a B64 running from bay ridge & bath beach, through CI, towards sheepshead......

The B15 will never have a LTD, it gets too much intra-route usage at "local" stops for that to happen...

I'm not gonna beat the dead horse of the whole adding LTD's to the B15 bit... done seen basically every argument for it over the years, and I'm still not convinced it's justified...... Yeah the B15 gets too much intermediate usage, esp. b/w Brookdale hosp. & the pink houses (projects).... the B15 LTD supporters either don't realize that, or love to throw that fact out........

- Outside of coverage, there's none I can think of either; which is why I still think to this day it should be the B4 that runs w/ the B1 along 86th...... direct travel from Bay Ridge - Sheepshead bay, instead of (what I'm about to say below)

- current B36 crawls b/w stillwell subway & sheepshead bay enough as it is.... I think the riders in the area know that, and wouldn't wanna put up w/ a B64 running from bay ridge & bath beach, through CI, towards sheepshead......

LOL... Sorry for not being clear but there is no way in hell I would take the B64 to the B36... I take (or rather took) the B64 to the (Q) to get to Sheepshead Bay. That's the quickest way I can think of coming from Bay Ridge to get to Sheepshead Bay. If you time it right, in other words link up with a B64 and manage to get a (Q) ready to pull out from CI, it's not too bad of a ride.

Archived