The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

The Bx38 also allowed the MTA to cut some Bx28 service to Fordham as well (though some Bx38 buses do run to/from Fordham as well).

That's agreeable since the Bx28 only gets good usage past Norwood during rush hours and middays (mainly due to the schools). Most who are going to Fordham would be on the Bx41/55.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About Bay Plaza: the Bx12 +SBS already does an excellent job of providing frequent service to/from there (and it's slated for more service in a month and change). As for the Bx23 and Q50 LTD, outside rush hours, each bus is VERY infrequent (half-hour off-peak headway); hence it's easy to see why cats wouldn't be fond of them.

Either increase Bx38 service, re-combine it with the Bx28 and turn every other bus at Norwood, and/or restore the pre-6/2010 Bx25/26 setup. All sections of Co-op City need the service increases IMHO.

That's agreeable since the Bx28 only gets good usage past Norwood during rush hours and middays (mainly due to the schools). Most who are going to Fordham would be on the Bx41/55.

Or the Bx12 +SBS.

Hey. Put you thinking caps and just curious what should the (MTA) should select along the few new routes that will be in service by no later than 2013? Even the Route numbers that will have.

Please keep it only to realstic proposals and not for any other new or existing routes. There is the Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/SI threads for those. In case you forgot here the planned routes and their areas? In No order.

Brooklyn

1)New route serving Dumbo/Vinegar Hill and Brooklyn Navy Yard area.

2)New Route in Spring Creek and East NY area.

3)Greenpoint/Northern End of Williamsburg

Bronx

1) Hunt's Point area

Manhattan

1)Far West Side Connecting Clinton aka "Hell's Kitchen" area to West Village.

About Bay Plaza: the Bx12 +SBS already does an excellent job of providing frequent service to/from there (and it's slated for more service in a month and change). As for the Bx23 and Q50 LTD, outside rush hours, each bus is VERY infrequent (half-hour off-peak headway); hence it's easy to see why cats wouldn't be fond of them.

Either increase Bx38 service, re-combine it with the Bx28 and turn every other bus at Norwood, and/or restore the pre-6/2010 Bx25/26 setup. All sections of Co-op City need the service increases IMHO.

Or the Bx12 +SBS.

That too. For the Bx26, I agree on having it run through all sections since it serves the hard-to-reach Allerton Avenue corridor.

I don't know about routing, but I'm guessing the DUMBO route will probably come from Gleason depot, the Spring Creek/ENY route would probably come from ENY depot (or SC if its MTA Bus), the Greenpoint route would be Grand Ave, and the Manhattan route would be Quill (obviously lol)

I don't get the question... What do you mean by pick??

I mean the exact routing these planned new routes should take?

For example IMO.

The new Williamsburg-Greenpoint route called for instance the "B22" would run between Box St/Manhattan Ave and the Lorimer/Metro Ave (G)(L) station.

Southbound Routing: Manhattan Ave, Greenpoint Ave, West St. Kent Ave and Metro Ave to the Lorimer/Metro Ave (G)(L) station. While the "Q59" would no longer serve the Kent Ave/Broadway extension and follow the "q54" route between Bushwick Ave and WBP.

I mean the exact routing these planned new routes should take?

For example IMO.

The new Williamsburg-Greenpoint route called for instance the "B22" would run between Box St/Manhattan Ave and the Lorimer/Metro Ave (G)(L) station.

Southbound Routing: Manhattan Ave, Greenpoint Ave, West St. Kent Ave and Metro Ave to the Lorimer/Metro Ave (G)(L) station. While the "Q59" would no longer serve the Kent Ave/Broadway extension and follow the "q54" route between Bushwick Ave and WBP.

I was thinking that same number for the route

The number for the Dimbo route I would probably say B27 and the ENY route B85

For the new Far West Side bus route. It would be called the "M12" and run between 72nd Street/Broadway and Abingdon Sq/West Village.

Northbound "M12" Routing: 8th Avenue, 14th Street, West St, 11th Avenue(12th Avenue/WSH can be a parking lot sometimes)West End Avenue and 72nd Street. Ends at (1)(2)(3) 72nd/Bway. Station. Reactions?

Don't know how these routes should be routed, b/c I'm really not seeing the justification for most of 'em really..... only one really that's thought-provoking enough to me is that ENY/Spring Creek route, which Trainmaster5 & I discussed about a week or so ago.....

Also don't know why this needs to have its own thread, but w/e..... It's all idea related anyway.....

For the new Far West Side bus route. It would be called the "M12" and run between 72nd Street/Broadway and Abingdon Sq/West Village.

Northbound "M12" Routing: 8th Avenue, 14th Street, West St, 11th Avenue(12th Avenue/WSH can be a parking lot sometimes)West End Avenue and 72nd Street. Ends at (1)(2)(3) 72nd/Bway. Station. Reactions?

11th Avenue is a southbound only street south of 46th Street. You have to use 12th Avenue until about 50th Street.

I would just wait until 2013.

What's wrong with speculation?

11th Avenue is a southbound only street south of 46th Street. You have to use 12th Avenue until about 50th Street.

What's wrong with speculation?

11th Avenue was a 2-way street until early 2000's. Forget about it. Other than Javitz and Interprid i hardly ever on the Far West side.

Here's my idea for the supposedly-named M12 (click for a full-size image). This route just shoots up 12 Av from the WTC/WFC to 57 St, and terminates at 72 St (1)(2)(3).

<MAP>

Original map credit mta.info.

I agree, except two things:

Why so long? The M20 dosen't get much use south of 14th, why would a waterfront route get sustainable use?

Why don't you use 11th Avenue? 12th Avenue has little-to-nothing to service, and 12th Avenue gets really crowded. It makes sense to go southbound on 11th.

NX. (1) problem on your idea. 12th Avenue/West Side Highway deals with '2' parking lots know as the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel.

If had to run downtown to the BPC area it should follow the M20 routing *south* of 14th Street. Thus why from what i read from the proposed plans by the (MTA) the route will only run between the west village area and Clinton area.

The routing is not yet deciced though.

NX. (1) problem on your idea. 12th Avenue/West Side Highway deals with '2' parking lots know as the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel.

If had to run downtown to the BPC area it should follow the M20 routing. Thus why from what i read the route will only run between the west village area and Clinton area.

Actually, if I were to run it that far down (which I would not) I would use Greenwich and Washington, to serve the West Village...

I agree, except two things:

Why so long? The M20 dosen't get much use south of 14th, why would a waterfront route get sustainable use?

Why don't you use 11th Avenue? 12th Avenue has little-to-nothing to service, and 12th Avenue gets really crowded. It makes sense to go southbound on 11th.

Maybe yes, it would make sense for the southbound to go via 11th Av.

As for the first point, I thought that there would be a market from the WTC/WFC to Far West Midtown, not necessarily counting on the passengers south of 14 St. TBH, Abingdon Sq is a bit of a middle-of-(rellative)-nowhere terminal.

@Shortline: isn't the Holland tunnel exit mostly onto 6 Av? It seems a bit counterintuitive for Holland tunnel traffic to go to the WSH. But if you know it definitely, I'll take your word for it.

In addition, one reason to stay so far west in the West Village is to avoid directly duplicating the (1). The point is to have a separate, sustainable route, not a subway duplicator.

Maybe yes, it would make sense for the southbound to go via 11th Av.

As for the first point, I thought that there would be a market from the WTC/WFC to Far West Midtown, not necessarily counting on the passengers south of 14 St. TBH, Abingdon Sq is a bit of a middle-of-(rellative)-nowhere terminal.

@Shortline: isn't the Holland tunnel exit mostly onto 6 Av? It seems a bit counterintuitive for Holland tunnel traffic to go to the WSH. But if you know it definitely, I'll take your word for it.

In addition, one reason to stay so far west in the West Village is to avoid directly duplicating the (1). The point is to have a separate, sustainable route, not a subway duplicator.

That's why I would use Greenwich/Washington. Instead of using the empty waterfront, it services the far West Village, while connecting to the M14 at Abingdon Sq.

Hold up a sec, 12th Avenue is the West Side Highway. I know you know this, but you gotta understand it. First of all, southbound is literally impossible. That's a lane of 45mph of traffic, so unless the bus isn't gonna stop for 40 blocks, you can't use it. Period. As for Northbound, there are almost no people who walk on the West side of the highway for a large portion of that route, there are very few storefronts there, and it's generally very dangerous to stop on the highway for a lot of those parts. The M20 is the only bus that the MTA runs on the highway, and even that bus only gets to stop thanks to a recessed bus stop (which aren't there from Christopher up). Unless they redesign the entire highway, that bus isn't using it.

Hold up a sec, 12th Avenue is the West Side Highway. I know you know this, but you gotta understand it. First of all, southbound is literally impossible. That's a lane of 45mph of traffic, so unless the bus isn't gonna stop for 40 blocks, you can't use it. Period. As for Northbound, there are almost no people who walk on the West side of the highway for a large portion of that route, there are very few storefronts there, and it's generally very dangerous to stop on the highway for a lot of those parts. The M20 is the only bus that the MTA runs on the highway, and even that bus only gets to stop thanks to a recessed bus stop (which aren't there from Christopher up). Unless they redesign the entire highway, that bus isn't using it.

Then there's no route. The M50 makes stops northbound on the highway, so it is possible northbound. I agree with you on some of the other points though...

The entire highway dosen't have to be redesigned, just install some recessed bus stops and you can pull it off. Like I said, it shouldn't use the highway the whole way, but remember it is the WEST SIDE HIGHWAY. It's anything but conventional.

SO MHV you think this new Far West Side Higway route will FAIL? :o

If for some reason they sent it on the highway, completely. But there's no way that'll happen, it'll end up around 11th in which case I think it should work. The M11 has been in need of more service for ages, hopefully this'll help.

Then there's no route. The M50 makes stops northbound on the highway, so it is possible northbound. I agree with you on some of the other points though...

The entire highway dosen't have to be redesigned, just install some recessed bus stops and you can pull it off. Like I said, it shouldn't use the highway the whole way, but remember it is the WEST SIDE HIGHWAY. It's anything but conventional.

For like three stops, sure. Not the whole way though, and even if you did use recessed stops, you still have the issue of not having businesses or people there. Southbound there's just no way, they just spent all that money building the bike path so no recessed stops, and I doubt they'd take out an entire lane of the highway for waterfront-only service.

Archived