MTA's four fare-hike options all hit riders hard

Harry

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for $112 for the monthly unlimited...but not 2.50 base fare.

What they really need to do is to get rid of the single ride cards and get rid of the metrocard bonuses....at this rate, single ride cards are useless now....

What they really need to do is to get rid of the single ride cards and get rid of the metrocard bonuses....at this rate, single ride cards are useless now....

Why would you not be for a $2.50 base fare? It's only a hike of .25 cents...

Why would you not be for a $2.50 base fare? It's only a hike of .25 cents...

That is a lil ignorant for one to say considering that you actually have money... For every 25 cents the base fare has risen, it's gotten more expensive for folks to even get around. Considering that you are one that is rocking an express bus plus card, you don't really have any say in the matter. I use both Unlimiteds and Pay-Per-Rides and when you have to pay 10 bucks for 3 1/2 trips? You know it's getting too expensive. I remember when 10 bucks can get you 5 or more trips.

If I recall, New York City is the only city in the U.S that has the highest base fare out of all the other major cities. That alone speaks more volumes than anything.

If I recall, New York City is the only city in the U.S that has the highest base fare out of all the other major cities. That alone speaks more volumes than anything.

Actually, I think there are a few other cities with a $2.25 base fare, but what we do have is the highest farebox recovery ratio. (We make back a greater percentage of our costs because we have higher ridership than other cities)

That is a lil ignorant for one to say considering that you actually have money... For every 25 cents the base fare has risen, it's gotten more expensive for folks to even get around. Considering that you are one that is rocking an express bus plus card, you don't really have any say in the matter. I use both Unlimiteds and Pay-Per-Rides and when you have to pay 10 bucks for 3 1/2 trips? You know it's getting too expensive. I remember when 10 bucks can get you 5 or more trips.

My thinking was that this would be best for most average New Yorkers since many use the regular Unlimited card and the tourists could be the ones paying the $2.50 fare. I do on occasion use Pay-Per-Rides here and there if say for example I'm going to be off or something, but maybe you're right. I personally find $2.50 to be pretty reasonable. I mean the reality is everyone is going to be paying more... Express bus riders, MetroNorth riders, LIRR riders and local and subway riders. I think you're right though... For some it will be more difficult.

Enforce an exit fare for the Rockaways. 25 cents for transfers OOS and some in system transfers (like the B'way Laffyette (6) and IND one), (L) and the (G) @ Lorimer Street...). That'll lower the fare hike.

Before I respond to this, I'm going to ask.....

That's sarcasm, right?

Although they will save on less usage of the paper tickets used, I can see that one only if they allow a new metrocard purchase minimum of the one way base fare-whatever they choose to have it. My logic is this: what there left to replace the single token? It may not be the millions.........and millions!- who always buy more than one trip(even back when it was getting two tokens) but a lot of us sometimes needs, or at the moment can only get, one trip. And we're not gonna have a ppr metrocard on us at the time. It's a good idea, but needs the compromise IMO.

My thinking was that this would be best for most average New Yorkers since many use the regular Unlimited card and the tourists could be the ones paying the $2.50 fare. I do on occasion use Pay-Per-Rides here and there if say for example I'm going to be off or something, but maybe you're right. I personally find $2.50 to be pretty reasonable. I mean the reality is everyone is going to be paying more... Express bus riders, MetroNorth riders, LIRR riders and local and subway riders. I think you're right though... For some it will be more difficult.

I can dig it.

Its not gonna hit everyone the same. I'm one who relies most of the time on one trip personally. Sure, some cities have lower fares but they charge for transfers. Some have zones, surfaces etc. We honestly got lucky. The extensiveness of our network is amazing. And for someone who's not a new yorker, a deal. We're dependent, accustomed to and spoiled by it. But as you said, "the reality is everyone is going to be paying more". I'm Far Rock Depot. And I approve this message.

If proposal 2A becomes true I would be very angry...no other city has such a high break-even point. Proposal 1B screws the tourists, 1A seems OK, I'm iffy on 2B as 53 rides still sounds like a lot.

For example, Pittsburgh and Portland both have one way fares of $2.50. Their monthlies are $97.50 and $100, respectively. Muni's fare is $2 with a monthly of $64, a lot lower than NYC's when the fare here was $2.

Now this is a tough one for me. I'm a PPR user, I enjoy the bonuses but I definitely think they should go, and the base fare should stay at $2.25. The unlimited cards IMO should go up since obviously people with more money can afford to use them whereas many poorer/middle class people use PPR cards, but I also don't think they should go up by that much like in proposal 2A.

Get rid of the bonuses, keep the base fare at $2.25, keep the $5.50 express fare, I'm all for that, so 2B is the proposal I like for the most part. But I don't like the $119 monthly unlimited in 2B, I mean if we're getting rid of the bonuses the monthly unlimited shouldn't go up by that much.

Also, would the $1 new card surcharge apply to replacing expired cards?

For the express bus I like the $6.00 (it's time to raise it and .50 cents doesn't break the bank) fare and I think $55 - 57 for the unlimited is reasonable, this way the seniors can maintain their discount during off peak hours. For the local bus subway, I like proposal 1B. Raise the fare and give the folks that buy the monthly Unlimited card a break. They are getting hammered.

Methinks proposal 1B (both for local buses/subways and express bus) is "best" (IMHO they all suck but I think it's the least harmful from a cost perspective). Proposal 2 is no good - the unlimited hikes are high enough to discourage their purchase; relying on a pay-per-ride card may discourage ridership (especially discretionary trips e.g. on weekends, where subway ridership is currently at record levels).

Something not yet linked from the MTA homepage: http://mta.info/mta/...s/2012FareToll/

If the weekly express pass break-even ratio exceeds 10 (2A) then very few people would buy it....

I honestly don't think that many people buy express bus passes anyway and I think part of that has to do with differences in age. Many express bus riders are middle aged or older and some just use it to get to and from work. I'm of the younger generation that believes in using transportation if it is convenient and easily accessible. I struggled back and forth previously when I lived on Staten Island for example on whether or not it would be worth getting a car that I would barely use since I find parking to be a real PITA in the city (even on weekends), not to mention that streets here are an absolute joke, but if I lived in say Westchester or out on Long Island, crappy roads and all I would invest in a good car since I know I would be using it, but living in Manhattan for example, I don't see why anyone needs a car unless they're traveling far out somewhere. It's just a waste of money and you don't save that much time either driving. I know first hand because sometimes I drive into the city with friends and we spend FOREVER trying to either find parking or we have to drive around and look for a parking garage which can be far away from where we're going. Pretty annoying.

---

Now that I think about it I really don't get that much bang for the buck either with the pass because I really don't take tons of express bus trips. The only time I save is when I'm in the city going around on the local bus or subway, but most places I walk to anyway and sometimes there are days that I don't even use the pass, so when I think about it, I even waste some money with the pass. Thinking about if further though it would be wise to keep the regular Unlimited reasonable so that folks continue to use transit. I will admit that sometimes I actually use the pass just because I can ride without a care where as if I was paying per trip, some trips I wouldn't bother making.

Considering that I used to spend maybe 250-350 a month for gas, an unlimited for 125 a month sounds like nothing to me. Though I stopped driving the work to save more money.

Yeah and that's the thing... I mean I know I would be spending a good penny a month with a car... Like you said, insurance, gas, car payments if you don't buy the car outright and whatever else comes along (garage fees) and in the city I just don't think it's worth it. On Staten Island esp. people would purposely try to mess up other people's cars and then there were the stories of people's cars taking a pounding from the pothole filled streets here. Several of my friends drive but they live in NJ and they all complain about how ridiculous it is driving in the Metro area and if they lived in NYC they wouldn't even bother. I just think it's nice to not to have to worry about a car and to just be able to go about your business, esp. if you'd only use it once in a while. The other advantage is being able to get some exercise. I always fret that I'd become a fat slob if I had a car because when do you get any exercise? I notice that I did gain a little weight when I jumped in car service all the time because I barely walked anywhere, so there is some truth to that theory.

I always felt the base fare should have been 2.50 all along, instead of 2.25 and "hoping" all these tax revenue and other spotty sources of funds actually hit the mark. If that was done in the beginning, we probably wouldn't be talking about a fare hike right now, and another one only ~26 months away (which will go by like *snaps fingers*)

Although they will save on less usage of the paper tickets used, I can see that one only if they allow a new metrocard purchase minimum of the one way base fare-whatever they choose to have it. My logic is this: what there left to replace the single token? It may not be the millions.........and millions!- who always buy more than one trip(even back when it was getting two tokens) but a lot of us sometimes needs, or at the moment can only get, one trip. And we're not gonna have a ppr metrocard on us at the time. It's a good idea, but needs the compromise IMO.

I guess it's my mentality of "keeping a spare card with you at all times". When I'm down, I usually have a spare card to refill on lol.

Archived