DesignLine Commuter Coach Discussion

Cait Sith

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen any of the DesignLines lately? Last time I saw one was last month. Were they all pulled from service due to legal issues, or are they still running occasionally?

Didn't see a single one when i was in town

• 2 weeks later...

As if this comes as a shock......

http://thesuburban.com/news/articles/?id=article02689

Maker of Laval’s $1 million electric bus goes bust

October 23rd, 2013

A Delaware bankruptcy court judge has ordered the sale of Designline, the company Laval hired to make its electric buses.
Designline filed for bankruptcy, Aug. 15, and the firm’s bus manufacturing line in Charlotte, North Carolina, ground to a halt at the beginning of October. The announcement that it will be auctioned off, Oct. 28, raises the possibility that the Designline’s assets will be sold off piecemeal.
Quebec Transport Minister Sylvain Gareau and Laval des Rapides MNA Léo Bureau-Blouin launched the project with great fanfare in January. They said that Quebec taxpayers would subsidize Laval’s electric buses to the tune of $600,000, and that Hydro-Québec would kick in another $100,000.
Laval’s transit authority has been testing a Designline battery-powered bus since April. Société des transports de Laval (STL) has spent nearly $1 million on the initial prototype.
STL’s prototype has been plying Laval streets since it was placed in service in April, and was slated to enter regular service this fall. STL showed off its new technology at a series of public viewings, and offered free electric bus shuttle service between Montmorency and Le Carrefour on several weekends during the summer.
Bankrupt busmaker Designline is known for its excellent high-level political connections. It formerly employed Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx, whom President Barrack Obama appointed United States Secretary of Transportation, July 2.
When The Suburban went to press, it was unclear whether STL is among Designline’s creditors. Court documents indicates that it owes its biggest creditor, New Jersey Transit, wants back the US$3.64 million it had already paid for as-yet undelivered buses. In 2011, a Designline hybrid-electric bus that served Charlotte International Airport caught fire. No one was injured in the blaze.n

Maker, of, Laval’s, $1, million, electric, bus, goes, bust,

It would not be much of a surprise if MCI got in on the auction.  The thing that is not clear, because it's gone belly up, one has to wonder if the big secrets DesignLine used will be on the market also.  I would think not, but hey, in today's world, anything is possible.

7212 on the 64H right now, has ads on the side so it looks like it'll be here to stay.

Today is supposed to be the Designline bankruptcy asset auction. All sealed bids were due on October 23rd 2013 at noon. So will New Flyer/Nabi buy it or maybe even MCI to limit competition ?

A U.S. bankruptcy court judge on Tuesday approved the sale of most of busmaker DesignLine’s assets to a California investor who said he plans to reopen the company’s Charlotte operations.

An attorney representing DesignLine, which filed for bankruptcy protection in August, told U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Craig Whitley that Wonderland Investment Group’s $1.6 million bid for equipment, machinery and other assets was the “highest and best” offer, eclipsing bids from five other groups.

DesignLine, which moved to Charlotte in 2006 from New Zealand, filed for bankruptcy after an investor expected to provide necessary financing pulled out in July. In the filing, the company listed assets of $14 million and debts of $37.5 million.

The busmaker featured several high-profile Charlotte investors and once employed former Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx, who became the U.S. transportation secretary in July. It once had more than 250 employees, but it has laid off most of its workers, who built hybrid buses at facilities off Westinghouse Boulevard.

Tony Luo, Wonderland’s president, said he plans to invest $30 million in DesignLine and reopen operations in as soon as a month. First, though, he said he will need to negotiate contracts with bus operators in New Jersey, Denver and Montreal, which previously had contracts with the busmaker.

Luo said he plans to bring back key employees but the total number would depend on the company’s contracts. The sale is expected to close on Nov. 8.

“I want to grow DesignLine and the economy here,” Luo said in an interview after the hearing in federal bankruptcy court in Charlotte.

Luo, who lives in Pasadena, said he has been a distributor of microturbines used in hybrid systems for a decade. He has been long familiar with DesignLine and its products, he added.

Wonderland is a new company, Luo said. According to California Secretary of State records, a company called Wonderland Investment Group was incorporated in July.

DesignLine’s creditor committee, whose members include Charlotte businessman Cameron Harris, initially objected to the sale, saying it provided no benefit to the company’s unsecured creditors. But an attorney representing the committee withdrew the objection at the hearing after Judge Whitley agreed to set a hearing to consider a motion to name a Chapter 11 Trustee to oversee the case.

Read more at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/29/4424781/judge-approves-sale-of-designline.html#.UnA1vpTk_fA

This makes me wonder what this means for the NJT order, as for whether or not NJT is forced to buy from this new investor/company or if they are actually able to cancel the order, or if the new owners will actually be able to complete it.

The entire reason for NJT purchasing the EcoCoach (and MCI not bidding on the order) actually turns out to be, as usual, NJT being bitchy about the specs. They wanted a 45 foot bus that would have the turning radius of an MCI D4000, hence the EcoCoach having a shorter wheelbase. MCI was unable to build a bus like that, which is why they did not bid. NJT definitely is/was interested in ordering this bus, but now that they have a separate order with MCI for what I'm assuming are typical D4500CTs with no shorter wheelbases, it makes me wonder if they're still going to pursue it especially with the problems they've already had with the order. I have heard rumors of NJT being in talks with MCI to take over the order and turn in the existing buses to them, but now that the company is back they might have to stick with Designline if the new owners won't let the contract go.

This makes me wonder what this means for the NJT order, as for whether or not NJT is forced to buy from this new investor/company or if they are actually able to cancel the order, or if the new owners will actually be able to complete it.

The entire reason for NJT purchasing the EcoCoach (and MCI not bidding on the order) actually turns out to be, as usual, NJT being bitchy about the specs. They wanted a 45 foot bus that would have the turning radius of an MCI D4000, hence the EcoCoach having a shorter wheelbase. MCI was unable to build a bus like that, which is why they did not bid. NJT definitely is/was interested in ordering this bus, but now that they have a separate order with MCI for what I'm assuming are typical D4500CTs with no shorter wheelbases, it makes me wonder if they're still going to pursue it especially with the problems they've already had with the order. I have heard rumors of NJT being in talks with MCI to take over the order and turn in the existing buses to them, but now that the company is back they might have to stick with Designline if the new owners won't let the contract go.

Sounds like a bad investment maybe he needs a huge tax write off. 30 million put in to Designline after paying 1.6 mill for the assets. I hope NJT runs for the hills stick with MCI a proven builder.

Interesting.

If NJT already had accepted the bid from MCI, then how does this new owner of Designline expect to get anything out of it.  The contract should be null and void considering the ruling of the court.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks.

553 does speak the truth. Whoever writes the spec's for the new buses either has no bus operation experience or really dense.....or both!

A 45 footer that turns like a 40 footer is asking for trouble......yeah it turns good but those extra 5 feet will get somebody in trouble somewhere down the line. And lets not forget that the shorter wheelbase makes the DLs ride like crap.

If they insist on pursuing the contract with DesignLine even after all the trouble this order has caused than the higher ups at NJT truly have no clue what they are doing.

553 does speak the truth. Whoever writes the spec's for the new buses either has no bus operation experience or really dense.....or both!

A 45 footer that turns like a 40 footer is asking for trouble......yeah it turns good but those extra 5 feet will get somebody in trouble somewhere down the line. And lets not forget that the shorter wheelbase makes the DLs ride like crap.

If they insist on pursuing the contract with DesignLine even after all the trouble this order has caused than the higher ups at NJT truly have no clue what they are doing.

Don't quote me on this, but there -may- be streets along some of the 13x routes (I'm thinking 139 Englishtown, 135, maybe a few others or none at all) that they have trouble turning the 45 footers on. Those runs always go out with an MCI CNG every day. Still nothing sending Howell a bunch of D4000s won't take care of, just send the 45s somewhere else, have 4500CT CNGs making up the majority of the Howell fleet and the rest D4000s.

Don't quote me on this, but there -may- be streets along some of the 13x routes (I'm thinking 139 Englishtown, 135, maybe a few others or none at all) that they have trouble turning the 45 footers on. Those runs always go out with an MCI CNG every day. Still nothing sending Howell a bunch of D4000s won't take care of, just send the 45s somewhere else, have 4500CT CNGs making up the majority of the Howell fleet and the rest D4000s.

The 45s can make tight turns. They do it on the 131, 133, and 135. Yeah on some streets the cars have to back up to let the bus get through, but I've seen that happen with a NABI too. Orion, switch it up next time you take the bus into NYC on a weekday morning. Try the 135 and you'll see some of the turns those guys gotta make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 45s can make tight turns. They do it on the 131, 133, and 135. Yeah on some streets the cars have to back up to let the bus get through, but I've seen that happen with a NABI too. Orion, switch it up next time you take the bus into NYC on a weekday morning. Try the 135 and you'll see some of the turns those guys gotta make.

Well like I said don't quote me on that, but if there really aren't any places that require the 40s then I don't get why NJT needed a 45 foot bus that turns like a 40 footer.

I guess they wanted to try something new..typical NJT.

I can't help but think that the DesignLines are gonna start showing up more often if this contract goes well. If not, we're gonna have a bigger problem than before. Which may mean NABIs or Restroom buses on '9. So pray everything goes well. I'd rather have DesignLine than be crammed into a packed NABI or restroom D4000.

Archived