Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

i think it will be anywhere up to halfway of the glass window on all the doors and window seat. the best way to do this type of view is walk along the Manhattan Bridge and you can figure out how tall those barrier could be along the Rockaway. Keep n mind some section will fluctuate since ground may not be even the entire way. there could be section that the track is like a foot or two lower and you dont feel it. 

Somebody should go out there with a measuring tape on the Manny B and test this theory. Then we'll know for sure. :lol:

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone out there could answer this:

Why couldn't the H run the whole length of the Rockaways?    I could see a problem with the tower slowing things down. But could the NYCTA not run thru the tower with manual blocks. ie have 2 switchman to throw switches with radio's to compensate for the lack of a tower?

Rgds IGN

i think the tower power is still out

Maybe someone out there could answer this:

Why couldn't the H run the whole length of the Rockaways?    I could see a problem with the tower slowing things down. But could the NYCTA not run thru the tower with manual blocks. ie have 2 switchman to throw switches with radio's to compensate for the lack of a tower?

Rgds IGN

Somebody should go out there with a measuring tape on the Manny B and test this theory. Then we'll know for sure. :lol:

Since i had the opportunity years ago to get actual railcar blueprints for my own designs, and talk extensively  with Railcar engineers, I can tell you that yes, the height from the ToR to the carbody floor is 3' 10". The height from the Carbody floor to the bottom of the window sill is about 3' 4"-3' 6" depending on the car model.

Since i had the opportunity years ago to get actual railcar blueprints for my own designs, and talk extensively  with Railcar engineers, I can tell you that yes, the height from the ToR to the carbody floor is 3' 10". The height from the Carbody floor to the bottom of the window sill is about 3' 4"-3' 6" depending on the car model.

Yeah I saw that from the schamatics of the R44/R46.

Exactly, that's why the barriers are embedded so deep. I guess to account for the water table which makes sense.

Looking at the schematics, the height from the wheels to the carbody is 3'10" if I'm looking at this correctly. 

So the barriers I'm assuming will not obstruct the views of the broad Channel from the picture windows.

Was looking at one of the pics presented on the facebook page you posted. What caught my interest is construction of 40 foot storm surge sheet barrier walls across the Broad Channel. The sheet metal is pushed down 33 feet, leaving seven feet of the wall high above ground to protect infrastructure from storm surges and debris that comes along with it, in the future. Keep in mind that during last year's storm the surge was well over seven feet, try topping 14 feet in change in many areas, but I would imagine that the civil engineers felt that seven feet of steel to protect the tracks would suffice in this area.

Pic: (Credits to Kevin Ortiz - MTA)

544309_10151384597524091_1436627936_n.jp

According to this report on Second Ave Sagas, as per MTA spokesperson Kevin Ortiz, (A) train service to the Rockaways might be formally restored in June 2013.

That barrier seems ineffective in the case of another hurricane, yes the surge would be blocked but let's just say it comes in higher than the wall the water could not recede off the track, it would stay between barriers. If i'm not mistaken there putting another one on the other side of the tracks? Plus these barriers obstruct the passengers view of the bay in the summer. An easier solution IMO would be to elevated the tracks onto a cement embankment like in the subway tunnels.

I think the point of the barriers is to keep the tracks from being washed out. Better a flood than everything flooded away. I think someone explained that the view won't be too obstructed if you can stand over the windows.

Ahuh they could get those pump trains there. (yeaahhhh R110As!)

I think the point of the barriers is to keep the tracks from being washed out. Better a flood than everything flooded away. I think someone explained that the view won't be too obstructed if you can stand over the windows.

Thank you. That was the whole point of the design. To further answer Andres question: That's why the barriers were pushed in 33 ft deep.

Wished I got to this earlier but you sufficiently clarified the intentions behind the scematics and designs of the barriers installed across the Broad Channel.

I reside in Rockaway Beach and hard to get around on the Q52 bus to work in the mornings and back home in the evenings.

Luckily I commence at 7am and get home by 4pm.

Wishing when the A train will resume their service.

This is our only train to the city. Buses are awful.

Waiting too long during rush hour.

I reside in Rockaway Beach and hard to get around on the Q52 bus to work in the mornings and back home in the evenings.

I can imagine that it must be horrible commuting by bus. And from my knowledge there's like not that much bus service down there.

Speaking of the Rockaways, Bill de Basio's "Save Our Shuttle" referring to shuttle bus in the Rockaways.

that shuttle bus is faster.

why don't you take the QM17? unless your going to downtown manhattan. Q52 you can use both Q53 or 52. Q52 runs every 15 mins at rush dude Just get to the Q53 which is more frequent anyway.  http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q052cur.pdf

and http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm16cur.pdf

I feel sorry for people who live in Broad Channel because Q52/Q53 buses are the only way to/from several subway stations including to get to/from affected (A) train.

I think MTA should make Q52 and Q53 state of 24-hours until (A) service into the Rockaways restored.

that shuttle bus is faster.

why don't you take the QM17? unless your going to downtown manhattan. Q52 you can use both Q53 or 52. Q52 runs every 15 mins at rush dude Just get to the Q53 which is more frequent anyway.  http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q052cur.pdf

and http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm16cur.pdf

I start work at 6:30 am and leave work at 1:30 pm

I am also working in Brooklyn Jay St.

I drive to woodhaven and park there and take lefferts A to Jay st

If its uptown then I have no choice but drive to work and pay for parking

I have to continue this commute until September that the A Rockaways will resume service.

But thanks for the heads up.

Not to mention that Express bus is what-$6.00 down there now?

Yep prices increased and will continue increasing.

That bus start at 6am according to the posted schedule.

I find it very convenient to commute, but the downside is the hour which is good for those with 8-4 or 9-5 jobs.

The Q52 bus start at 5am - 5:18am and last bus for me to get to work at 7am is the 5:30 bus.

Coming home is another story.

A shuttle from Howard Beach Station to Far Rock Mott Ave is not so fast as many may think

Took me one day to get home about 2 hours, remember traffic at Rockaway Blvd is no joke.

I already rode that bus twice and never again. Now I drive until the A Rockaways resume service God knows when.

Archived