Is railfanning banned?

NYtransit

section 1050.9 still has the same text about photography http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

"Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part."

That $25 fine is probably people photographing in the tunnels or other unauthorized areas, or doing commercial photography.

section 1050.9 still has the same text about photography http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

"Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part."

That $25 fine is probably people photographing in the tunnels or other unauthorized areas, or doing commercial photography.

Honestly im not sure if this is true or not, but they still havent updated the rule book yet. Ether way cops are now going to use as a defense to give any kind of photography a ticket. This is why its not needed.

This contradicts with the existing rule made by the MTA that explicitly permits photography in the system.

The rules written on that page are so vague that most subway riders would be fined for some violation on that page.. Furthermore, if the rules were changed in such a manner the public would have been informed by now...

I'm guessing the fine for "Unauthorized photography, filming:" Which pretty much means you will get a 25 dollar fine if you were to use a for example using tripod in the subway without getting the approval for it. "Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part." Quotations from MTA.info. So pretty much you will not be bothered by a fine for using your camera handheld.

The MTA has always been ass-backward when it comes to the rules and its very own service...

I'm pretty sure Rail-Fanning isn't banned in the NYC Subway

Just Don't do the following:

1) Trespass

2) Act Suspicious

3) Change Roll Signs

4) Use Flash

5) Use a Tripod

(Always remember though there are some cops out there wanting to harass ya' or they simply just don't know all the rules)

Also like DJ Hammers said Don't take things out of context.

The MTA has always been ass-backward when it comes to the rules and its very own service...

I'm pretty sure Rail-Fanning isn't banned in the NYC Subway

Just Don't do the following:

1) Trespass

2) Act Suspicious

3) Change Roll Signs

4) Use Flash

5) Use a Tripod

(Always remember though there are some cops out there wanting to harass ya' or they simply just don't know all the rules)

Also like DJ Hammers said Don't take things out of context.

Agreed, but define "act suspicious", because to many people photography at a non-touristy station fits their version of that definition.

In the MTA's eyes they mainly banned the use of a tripod in the subway because the fact that it can cause blockage to and on a busy platform I know it don't make allot of sense sorta.

Defining suspicion??

Okay Lets say if you were walking up and down the platform with your hands in your pockets looking for a good spot? Or mainly in general in some shape or form Causing a cop or some idiot to think your up to something. (That's just 2 things)

I remember a cop stopped me with my hands in my pockets (I wasn't filming, It was last winter and I was cold lol) anyways yea.

Also Don't always look for a train on the opposite track going the opposite track , to much (say if you were filming the (F) at Ditmas on the Manhattan Bound Track and You were constantly looking for the Coney Island Bound Train.) I find that a help when I rail-fan

It don't matter where you film Touristy or not... your always gonna have the corrupt cop or rookie not know the law so yea.

Wow, hello 1984!

Did you even read the book?

--

Yeah, agree with the above that this is probably in reference to the previous rules -- the fact that it's so vague could be an issue if some transit cop wanted to bust balls though... Idk, even if it were banned, I'd still take pictures. I take pictures in the PATH; I feel like this is the kind of tax dollar-related stuff that if you really wanted to you could beat out in court.

In the MTA's eyes they mainly banned the use of a tripod in the subway because the fact that it can cause blockage to and on a busy platform

I guess I'll mount my camera on a modded bike then. Nobody seems to pester bikers even though they have the greatest effect on passenger movement.

I guess I'll mount my camera on a modded bike then. Nobody seems to pester bikers even though they have the greatest effect on passenger movement.

Lol I get your point on that without a doubt.... Funny thing though that It's "Illegal to use a tripod in the subway" But on a walk over the Williamsburg bridge I used a tripod for some Subway shots. lol

Lol I get your point on that without a doubt.... Funny thing though that It's "Illegal to use a tripod in the subway" But on a walk over the Williamsburg bridge I used a tripod for some Subway shots. lol

Because that's not MTA property. You can sit on a rooftop next to an elevated, and use a tripod.

Archived