New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

On 1/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, Ron2themax said:

You'll usually see artics of route 70 on a Sunday. Though there was a ultra rare occurance of one being active on a weekday service in which I've seen on MyBus a couple weeks ago.

Don't forget route 39 has them too if you're talking Newark based routing. I agree with B35 via Church about the 159 line New York service. Throw in 158 as well

I do recall a Hilton Neoplan #9545 running on the 126 during the AM rush this week

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Of the GWB routes I noticed the 171 is usually your best bet for an older MCI followed by the 175 but both of those use NABIs too. The 186 to dumont is NABIs now, the 188 used to use MCI regularly but it’s been a while since i last tracked or seen an mci on that route.

The 175 has virtually no MCIs -- have seen/tracked none recently. As for the 171, I'm pretty sure it has MCIs b/c it runs on Rt.4 almost its whole route.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

The 175 has virtually no MCIs -- have seen/tracked none recently. As for the 171, I'm pretty sure it has MCIs b/c it runs on Rt.4 almost its whole route.

Depends on the driver. The 175 does run MCIs. As far as route 171, I know one driver that specifically drives an MCI every weekday. Very rarely he gets a Nabi. 

Saw the notice of schedule changes on the bus coming August 31st. It's about damn time NJ Transit decide to bring  the SUNDAY service to route 119. Before NJ Transit gave the route to Academy they should've stayed with the 7 days a week service to begin with. Next is for NJT to expand the service hours to 24/7 on that line like the old CUSA "Red and Tan" route 99S.

I see route 166 getting big service increase..10 extra trips. Demand for that route is big time. The 123 route by all means needs to keep expanding with more increase service and trips past 2am or 24/7. That route continues to increase in demand of people who are living in both Union City and Jersey City Heights going to and from NYC. 

I am suprised that none of the local routes didn't receive changes. Mind you the schedule change notice is of the Northern Division 

6 hours ago, mfs NJT459 said:

Academy sent NJT owned MCIs 19063 and 19066 to Atlantic City as part of the Air Show VIP Shuttle service between Borgata and the Boardwalk

Always been the case of Academy using state owned commuter buses for their charter runs and special trips instead of their own buses. 

5430 is currently on the 13. It’s very interesting to see a suburban NABI working local routes. I believe I saw 5409 doing the 39 yesterday. I know those aren’t moves as the routes and units do run out of Hilton, but I wanted to point that out.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

5430 is currently on the 13. It’s very interesting to see a suburban NABI working local routes. I believe I saw 5409 doing the 39 yesterday. I know those aren’t moves as the routes and units do run out of Hilton, but I wanted to point that out.

I still don't understand why NJT doesn't have a reserve/storage fleet. It's laughable that Nabi suburbans are on artic routed 13 and 39. It tells you how very short of buses they have and I guess some of their artics are beat up, therefore in the shop. Passengers are getting a special ride on those buses. Let's hope they know where the stop request push button is located

6 minutes ago, Ron2themax said:

I still don't understand why NJT doesn't have a reserve/storage fleet. It's laughable that Nabi suburbans are on artic routed 13 and 39. It tells you how very short of buses they have and I guess some of their artics are beat up, therefore in the shop. Passengers are getting a special ride on those buses. Let's hope they know where the stop request push button is located

I guess it’s better to have a suburban bus cover a trip than to leave it missing and have passengers overcrowd the next bus. A few of their artics were in accidents not too long ago. I remember someone mentioning it here. 

It also happens in reverse. Yesterday evening, I caught 6392 on the 107X heading home.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I'm curious as to how buses, bus planning, and operating expenses are handled in NJT. A lot of MTA Bus is talked about on the forums, but there isn't much inside info with NJT.

Does NJT do the rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul routine that is common with the MTA? Because there is that other thread about NJT lines gaining service improvements.

2 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I guess it’s better to have a suburban bus cover a trip than to leave it missing and have passengers overcrowd the next bus. A few of their artics were in accidents not too long ago. I remember someone mentioning it here. 

It also happens in reverse. Yesterday evening, I caught 6392 on the 107X heading home.

Yep! Routes 107 and 108 are known to have Nabi transits in the mix with the suburbans during the rush. Heck, at the time when the Flxible Metro D suburbans were running on those two routes. NovaBus RTSs occasionally showed up running the New York routes. Equipment availability

Does anyone know how extremely inconvenient the GO buses are (GO25 only running on Rush Hours and the GO28 being completely unreliable at of the time as it only runs every half-hour at all times even though they have 10 Suburbans assigned to it and the fact that both don't have dedicated bus lanes)

I recently found this forum, and thought I'd raise an issue I've observed.

Bus 361 is the express version of the 1. They are listed on the same timetable.

It is express because it skips all the stops on the first half of the route, and takes a more direct path towards Ivy Hill.

Having taken both buses, I can confirm that the 361 is faster than the 1.

And yet the schedule shows it being slower!

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf

Example (Towards Ivy Hill, weekday)

361 leaves Penn at 3:40pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:14pm

1 leaves Penn at 3:42pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:08pm

According to this, the local takes 8 minutes longer!

361 leaves Penn at 4:00pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:34pm

1 leaves Penn at 4:03pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:29pm

Again the 361 is listed as 8 minutes longer.

This repeats throughout the schedule. I emailed NJT and they said they'd look into it. Nothing changed.

3 hours ago, jass said:

I recently found this forum, and thought I'd raise an issue I've observed.

Bus 361 is the express version of the 1. They are listed on the same timetable.

It is express because it skips all the stops on the first half of the route, and takes a more direct path towards Ivy Hill.

Having taken both buses, I can confirm that the 361 is faster than the 1.

And yet the schedule shows it being slower!

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf

Example (Towards Ivy Hill, weekday)

361 leaves Penn at 3:40pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:14pm

1 leaves Penn at 3:42pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:08pm

According to this, the local takes 8 minutes longer!

361 leaves Penn at 4:00pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:34pm

1 leaves Penn at 4:03pm, arrives at Ivy Hill at 4:29pm

Again the 361 is listed as 8 minutes longer.

This repeats throughout the schedule. I emailed NJT and they said they'd look into it. Nothing changed.

I'm not exactly understanding what outcome you're desiring by pointing this out (to NJT).....

Do you want #361's to be given less time to reach Ivy Hill, or do you want #1's to be given more time to reach Ivy Hill?

....or do you think what's posted on the schedule is some sort of typo or something?

38 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not exactly understanding what outcome you're desiring by pointing this out (to NJT).....

Do you want #361's to be given less time to reach Ivy Hill, or do you want #1's to be given more time to reach Ivy Hill?

....or do you think what's posted on the schedule is some sort of typo or something?

I want the schedule to be accurate. That should be the purpose of the schedule, right?

I don't know if its a typo but I do know that the express is (obviously) faster than the local and should be listed as such.

22 minutes ago, jass said:

I want the schedule to be accurate. That should be the purpose of the schedule, right?

I don't know if its a typo but I do know that the express is (obviously) faster than the local and should be listed as such.

They both don't have the exact same routes between Newark-Penn & Ivy Hill & quite honestly, dwell times at stops (and traffic) along Springfield (which the #361 spends more time on) can easily put a damper on the route...

I don't see a problem here.... Your overly simplistic view on the matter isn't proof of some inaccuracy.