Transfer Between MTA Express Buses

CR8094

Yep all of these answers are correct... Also, even though you have the NYCT express buses and the (MTA) Bus express buses and the X23 and X24 express buses which the (MTA) gives to Atlantic Express to run, you get a transfer between all of those buses, so you can commute from Riverdale all the way to the end of Staten Island on one fare... For example, the other day I came from Riverdale on the BxM2, made a stop and then transferred to the X1 and took that down near Oakwood later on.

Yes, I've done it a few times myself. I believe that there is some exception to that rule regarding the Bee-line express buses, but all MTA express buses have the transfer between different express lines. 

Well, there's only one Bee Line express bus. You can transfer from the BxM4C to the subway/local bus/express bus for free, but if you're coming from the lower-priced mode (because the BxM4C is $7.50), you have to pay the full fare on both.

Pay it in coins or deducted off the card?

It has to be from the Metrocard in that case.  I've seen people pay in coins on the express bus, but they've never asked for a transfer because most folks don't transfer between express buses like that and if they do they usually have a MetroCard anyway which has a free trasnsfer, though I would imagine that you could request a paper transfer for a local bus or another express bus. You can of course get a paper transfer from a local bus to another local bus as well, but you must have a MetroCard to be able to transfer from the subway to a local bus or an express bus and vice versa.

It has to be from the Metrocard in that case.  I've seen people pay in coins on the express bus, but they've never asked for a transfer because most folks don't transfer between express buses like that and if they do they usually have a MetroCard anyway which has a free trasnsfer, though I would imagine that you could request a paper transfer for a local bus or another express bus. You can of course get a paper transfer from a local bus to another local bus as well, but you must have a MetroCard to be able to transfer from the subway to a local bus or an express bus and vice versa.

Thank you,Via Garibaldi for that explaination.

Yep all of these answers are correct... Also, even though you have the NYCT express buses and the (MTA) Bus express buses and the X23 and X24 express buses which the (MTA) gives to Atlantic Express to run, you get a transfer between all of those buses, so you can commute from Riverdale all the way to the end of Staten Island on one fare... For example, the other day I came from Riverdale on the BxM2, made a stop and then transferred to the X1 and took that down near Oakwood later on.

Wow, 2 and a half hours spent being on a bus just one way, and then back again.  Even if you took a break in between it still sounds painful. 

But Riverdale to Staten Island for only $5.50 is an unbeatable price

Wow, 2 and a half hours spent being on a bus just one way, and then back again.  Even if you took a break in between it still sounds painful. 

But Riverdale to Staten Island for only $5.50 is an unbeatable price

Where did you get two and a half hours from?? Coming back my commute was about 40 minutes or perhaps less on the X1 (from down near Oakwood) (got on about 15 mins after and was off of the bus before 55 mins after) to 34th street and the BxM2 from 35th street to my stop was under an hour. Late nights my commute back to Riverdale can be as little as 30 minutes from the city with good traffic and a good driver depending on where I get on at.  

If you don't believe me you should look at the late night X1 and BxM2 schedules... The BxM2 during late nights can be done from one end to the other in less than an hour and I don't live in Northern Riverdale.  Once the big stops are made in Spuyten Duyvil (Kappock and Knolls Crescent), getting to my stop doesn't take that much longer.  When I take the BxM18 I can reach Riverdale with no traffic in 30 mins regularly.

And yeah you're right it's a great deal and I don't to drive and find parking either... Just imagine if I did drive from Riverdale... $4.00 for the Henry Hudson Bridge, then parking in the city for my stop off, then tolls at the Battery Tunnel and then another toll at the Verrazano, plus gas... You see the way I look at it is why should I waste money if I don't have to and deal with the a-hole drivers to boot, along with the lovely potholes all around... I can't even imagine how much money you must throw away on repairs to your car...

Where did you get two and a half hours from?? Coming back my commute was about 40 minutes or perhaps less on the X1 (from down near Oakwood) (got on about 15 mins after and was off of the bus before 55 mins after) to 34th street and the BxM2 from 35th street to my stop was under an hour. Late nights my commute back to Riverdale can be as little as 30 minutes from the city with good traffic and a good driver depending on where I get on at.  

If you don't believe me you should look at the late night X1 and BxM2 schedules... The BxM2 during late nights can be done from one end to the other in less than an hour and I don't live in Northern Riverdale.  Once the big stops are made in Spuyten Duyvil (Kappock and Knolls Crescent), getting to my stop doesn't take that much longer.  When I take the BxM18 I can reach Riverdale with no traffic in 30 mins regularly.

And yeah you're right it's a great deal and I don't to drive and find parking either... Just imagine if I did drive from Riverdale... $4.00 for the Henry Hudson Bridge, then parking in the city for my stop off, then tolls at the Battery Tunnel and then another toll at the Verrazano, plus gas... You see the way I look at it is why should I waste money if I don't have to and deal with the a-hole drivers to boot, along with the lovely potholes all around... I can't even imagine how much money you must throw away on repairs to your car...

Sure, I'll go by the schedules.

BxM2, 239th/Broadway to 63rd/Broadway is 55 minutes (plus a few extra minutes to get to 59th, but I'll ignore that)

Oakwood looks about half way between Narrows Road and Eltingville (the two time points), so I'll use the average of that.

X1, 59th Street to Narrows Road is 1 hour 14 minutes

X1, 59th Street to Eltingville is 1 hour 49 minutes

Average is about 1 hour 31 minutes. (Rounding down to help you).

And add them up, 2 hours 26 minutes.

(I didn't make any mathematical errors right?)

Sure, I'll go by the schedules.

BxM2, 239th/Broadway to 63rd/Broadway is 55 minutes (plus a few extra minutes to get to 59th, but I'll ignore that)

Oakwood looks about half way between Narrows Road and Eltingville (the two time points), so I'll use the average of that.

X1, 59th Street to Narrows Road is 1 hour 14 minutes

X1, 59th Street to Eltingville is 1 hour 49 minutes

Average is about 1 hour 31 minutes. (Rounding down to help you).

And add them up, 2 hours 26 minutes.

(I didn't make any mathematical errors right?)

Well I just got home not too long ago using the BxM18... The entire trip was about 35 minutes and that was with a little traffic on Madison... I'm going to the city later via the BxM2 and will time my trip and see how long it takes to reach 63rd street since we used that before... 

Well, there's only one Bee Line express bus. You can transfer from the BxM4C to the subway/local bus/express bus for free, but if you're coming from the lower-priced mode (because the BxM4C is $7.50), you have to pay the full fare on both.

7.50??? wow makes 6.00 bucks look like a bargain.....

LOL... Those schedules are generous to say the least... It does NOT take 55 mins from 63rd and Broadway to Henry Hudson Pkwy and 239th unless you're driving like a snail... From Kappock to 239th is 5 mins tops most times...

I had a feeling that was the case on several express buses.

7.50??? wow makes 6.00 bucks look like a bargain.....

why you think I use MNRR now.

There are other Bee Line express buses (not premium fare though)

1X, 3, 17, 41, 43, 62, and 77

• 2 months later...

THere are NO paper transfers loaded on an express bus, only can use a metrocard transfer is available.

THere are NO paper transfers loaded on an express bus, only can use a metrocard transfer is available.

My brother said that they do have them, but they try not to give them out. He said he saw somebody get on an X10 that bypassed Narrows Road North (The unclear signage is mostly to blame. An unfamilar rider doesn't know that "via West Street" equates to "skipping Narrows Road North". Actually, it might've been one of those couple of "C" runs that bypasses Narrows Road North, in which case even a familiar rider might miss that), and he had to get back there, so the driver reluctantly gave him a transfer.

Archived